Chit Chat

Because of all the TMI threads

Re: Because of all the TMI threads

• I was 14 and had flown across the country by myself to visit old friends for the first time. My friend and I shared her bed while I was visiting, and we woke up that morning with a pool of blood underneath us. I had no clue what was happening, but she already had her period for a long time- so she instantly knew what it was. While I cried on the phone with my mom in the bathroom (with terrible cramps and Niagara Falls of blood) she told her mom what happened. My friend washed my PJs and the bed sheets and taught me how to use a tampon (I'm another Day 1 Tampon user). We were going to the pool with her family that day, so I either had to sped the whole day by myself watching, or I had to learn how to use a tampon. 
    Her mom went to Wal-Mart and bought me new underwear and new PJs. I was just so embarrassed and wanted my Mom so badly. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
  • I got my period and the chicken pox at the same time in 5th grade. 

That my friends, is a horrible thing.
    *msstaticfancypants*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • afox007 said:
    I was on buzzfeed and found this Women Remember Their First Periods 

I remember my frst almost too well. July 3, 2011 since it was the first time I realized my mom was cheating. My dad picked me up from my friend's house and made me wait in the car while he cried on the front porch to her mom. We spent the rest of the afternoon driving around looking for my mom. I had what I thought was the world's worst stomach ache, but couldn't tell my dad since he was stressed enough. 

We gave up took the kids to our towns night before 4th of July street fair and then grabbed McDonalds on the way home. I went to the bathroom and saw some weird brown goopy stuff. It took me half an hour to go downstairs and tell my dad. I knew what it was but couldn't say "period" in front of him so I said their was something weird in my bathing suit bottoms. He started crying again and called my grandma who told him to check the bathroom since my mom should have something. He came back with a box of tampons and me and my grandma both flipped out on him. 

He left to go to the store and the poor guy came back with two full grocery bags of pads. I think he grabbed one of everything! I still feel bad that not only did he have to deal with it on his own, but I only used 2 of the pads the next morning I went back to my friend's house and her mom helped me figure out the whole tampon thing. 
    I can't answer yet because I can't get past your first period date.  Aren't you 24?  So, was your first period at 21?  Is that date a typo?  I am so confused...

As for me, it was April 4, 1996.  I was 11 and in 5th grade.  I only remember those details because it was my brother's birthday, and I was at school.  It happened right before lunch.  I had to ask a mean lunch lady to go to the clinic.  She wouldn't let me until I finally told her that I started my period.  It was mortifying, and looking back probably illegal of her to grill me like that!

Anyway, my mom was coming to the school for my brother's birthday that day, so I just laid down in the clinic until she got there.  Also, elementary clinics are not well stocked--pretty sure the nurse gave me one of her own pads. 

My mom called every woman in our family to share the news :/
    I think she was quoting a Buzzfeed article. 

I don't think so.  That story is not in the article.  She has shared a lot about her family's situation, and this seems to fall right in line.
    Yeah, this seems weird. Date typo?
    Definitely as date typo. I was 11 not 21. I have been having a strangely hard time writing dates from 10 years ago lately. FSS's school registration said he was born in 2013. 
  • I was 14 and it started at the worst time and got me grounded. Stupid thing. Lol. I had skipped school with my bf at the time and we were doing stuff. He was the one who noticed first and we both freaked out. We looked all over his house and they didn't have anything and I was too far away from my house to easily walk there so I had to suck it up and call my mom. I'll never forget that conversation. "Mom I got my period" " ok honey well just go to the nurse" "well.... I'm not exactly at school"... I got in so much trouble.
  • Re:products

We had tampons, but my Mom wouldn't let me use them. She didn't think I'd be responsible enough to remember to take them out. *eyeroll*

So I wore just pads for a couple months. Then, I started using tampons and just didn't tell her. The first one I did wrong. (Didn't stick it in. Just held the tube against my body and pushed on the end.) but the second one was fine.

Then a few months later, I was invited to a friends pool party birthday and I told my mom I couldn't go. So she said I could use a tampon and to take it out right after. I didn't tell her if been using them for months with no problems.

She never did tell me I could use them! I just kept using them. I guess she realized at some point that I was using them, IDK.

Now, I use a menatrual cup. LOVE IT!!!! And have actually converted my mom to using one.
  • Re:products We had tampons, but my Mom wouldn't let me use them. She didn't think I'd be responsible enough to remember to take them out. *eyeroll* So I wore just pads for a couple months. Then, I started using tampons and just didn't tell her. The first one I did wrong. (Didn't stick it in. Just held the tube against my body and pushed on the end.) but the second one was fine. Then a few months later, I was invited to a friends pool party birthday and I told my mom I couldn't go. So she said I could use a tampon and to take it out right after. I didn't tell her if been using them for months with no problems. She never did tell me I could use them! I just kept using them. I guess she realized at some point that I was using them, IDK. Now, I use a menatrual cup. LOVE IT!!!! And have actually converted my mom to using one.
    Me too! I love it! I well NEVER go back to tampons!
    Anniversary
  • afox007 said:
    afox007 said:
    I was on buzzfeed and found this Women Remember Their First Periods 

I remember my frst almost too well. July 3, 2011 since it was the first time I realized my mom was cheating. My dad picked me up from my friend's house and made me wait in the car while he cried on the front porch to her mom. We spent the rest of the afternoon driving around looking for my mom. I had what I thought was the world's worst stomach ache, but couldn't tell my dad since he was stressed enough. 

We gave up took the kids to our towns night before 4th of July street fair and then grabbed McDonalds on the way home. I went to the bathroom and saw some weird brown goopy stuff. It took me half an hour to go downstairs and tell my dad. I knew what it was but couldn't say "period" in front of him so I said their was something weird in my bathing suit bottoms. He started crying again and called my grandma who told him to check the bathroom since my mom should have something. He came back with a box of tampons and me and my grandma both flipped out on him. 

He left to go to the store and the poor guy came back with two full grocery bags of pads. I think he grabbed one of everything! I still feel bad that not only did he have to deal with it on his own, but I only used 2 of the pads the next morning I went back to my friend's house and her mom helped me figure out the whole tampon thing. 
    I can't answer yet because I can't get past your first period date.  Aren't you 24?  So, was your first period at 21?  Is that date a typo?  I am so confused...

As for me, it was April 4, 1996.  I was 11 and in 5th grade.  I only remember those details because it was my brother's birthday, and I was at school.  It happened right before lunch.  I had to ask a mean lunch lady to go to the clinic.  She wouldn't let me until I finally told her that I started my period.  It was mortifying, and looking back probably illegal of her to grill me like that!

Anyway, my mom was coming to the school for my brother's birthday that day, so I just laid down in the clinic until she got there.  Also, elementary clinics are not well stocked--pretty sure the nurse gave me one of her own pads. 

My mom called every woman in our family to share the news :/
    I think she was quoting a Buzzfeed article. 

I don't think so.  That story is not in the article.  She has shared a lot about her family's situation, and this seems to fall right in line.
    Yeah, this seems weird. Date typo?
    Definitely as date typo. I was 11 not 21. I have been having a strangely hard time writing dates from 10 years ago lately. FSS's school registration said he was born in 2013. 
    Yeah, I kind of figured your dad wasn't still picking you up from your friend's house 3 years ago ;)

• Speaking of moms, I had to BEG mine to let me shave my legs. And when she finally agreed, she made me us this fucking thing:

Yeah. A vintage fucking Norelco electric shaver. It pretty much took me 6 hours to shave one leg. 
  • bekt14 said:
    Re:products We had tampons, but my Mom wouldn't let me use them. She didn't think I'd be responsible enough to remember to take them out. *eyeroll* So I wore just pads for a couple months. Then, I started using tampons and just didn't tell her. The first one I did wrong. (Didn't stick it in. Just held the tube against my body and pushed on the end.) but the second one was fine. Then a few months later, I was invited to a friends pool party birthday and I told my mom I couldn't go. So she said I could use a tampon and to take it out right after. I didn't tell her if been using them for months with no problems. She never did tell me I could use them! I just kept using them. I guess she realized at some point that I was using them, IDK. Now, I use a menatrual cup. LOVE IT!!!! And have actually converted my mom to using one.
    I tired a few times with the cup.  Never took to it.   Not sure if I was doing it wrong or that my flow was too heavy, but it just didn't work for me.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I got mine when I was 16. Late bloomer I know. It was actually during a football game that I was cheerleading at. Luckily it had barely started when we went to the bathroom after our halftime routine. I just asked the girls If I could barrow a tampon. They all just thought that it had snuck up on me. They had no clue it was my first.

I told mom on the drive home. She was like ok, I have tampons at home and liners. No big production.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I remember that it was right after I started my second semester of 6th grade. I felt like hell all day, so when I finally got home I laid down on the living room floor with a couch pillow under my stomach. i felt like I had the shits but nothing was happening. Finally saw blood right before my mom got home. Got a pad out, and when I got a second with her, I just said , "Ma I got my period. Took care of it. Feel like crap though."

To this day I still get really bad stomach issues during my period. I HATE it.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Speaking of moms, I had to BEG mine to let me shave my legs. And when she finally agreed, she made me us this fucking thing:

Yeah. A vintage fucking Norelco electric shaver. It pretty much took me 6 hours to shave one leg. 
    You poor thing that looks awful! I had to beg my mom too, she said I could when I started junior high. The week before school I scraped my leg and she said I'd have to wait because you absolutely can't shave over a cut. A month later she still kept coming up with excuses: she was out of shaving cream, we needed to leave there was no time, etc. Finally the night before my first school dance I just stole my dad's razor and shaving cream and did it. 

A few days later she brushed past me and felt the stubble and flipped out because I went behind her back, lied, whatever. I was gounded for a week over shaving. 
  • Re:products We had tampons, but my Mom wouldn't let me use them. She didn't think I'd be responsible enough to remember to take them out. *eyeroll* So I wore just pads for a couple months. Then, I started using tampons and just didn't tell her. The first one I did wrong. (Didn't stick it in. Just held the tube against my body and pushed on the end.) but the second one was fine. Then a few months later, I was invited to a friends pool party birthday and I told my mom I couldn't go. So she said I could use a tampon and to take it out right after. I didn't tell her if been using them for months with no problems. She never did tell me I could use them! I just kept using them. I guess she realized at some point that I was using them, IDK. Now, I use a menatrual cup. LOVE IT!!!! And have actually converted my mom to using one.
    YES. These are great. I've heard they're helpful for TTC as well.
    How would it make a difference?

I can't make them work. I can't figure out why.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • wandajune6

There's definitely a learning curve, but once you figure it out they are AMAZING! I have a very heavy flow (can't even use Super Plus Tampons for more than 4 hours), and the menstrual cup will last me 10-12 hours! Plus, my cramps are  more mild and I feel more comfortable during the day. 
    I would definitely give it another try. Maybe try a different brand. I use Diva Cups. 

Make  sure you have a good suction. If you do it right, you can actually hear the suction happen. It's like a slurping sound. The suction will prevent leaking and will keep it in place all day. One challenge is getting it around your cervix instead of folded on one side of the cervix. Since your cervinx doesn't normally point straight down (it's usually tilted towards one side and moves around throughout your cycle), you need to make sure it's placed around your entire cervix. Just run a finger around the brim after you've positioned it to make sure. If it's not in right, just take it out and start over. 

Anniversary
  • I was ten and we were on a trip to Hawaii for Christmas. My mom had mentioned periods, but I didn't even think about it. I woke her up and asked her if it was normal to bleed when you pee, haha! Also, she bought me pantiliners instead of pads so on the plane ride home I was going to the bathroom every five minutes. Thanks, mom! And, she wouldn't let me swim for the rest of the trip because she thought I'd get attacked by a shark.
  • I was 11, and on a family road trip with two family friends visiting from overseas. So, there were 4 girls aged 9-12 and my two parents crammed into a regular 4 door sedan and a 1b/1b vacation home.  I was feeling crampy and went to the bathroom, and it had just started. I called my mom in and her reaction was 'oh, shit', lol.  She had pads, so that's what I used.  My next one was the next month, one week into 6th grade, and she had me wear a liner the first day.  I bled through it in two hours and had to go to the nurse for a mattress to wear the rest of the day. Mine were heavy and painful from the very start, like hers, so she always had plenty of gigantic pads in the house, but nothing for pain. I was just told to 'suck it up' and take a tylenol.  When I started missing school in junior high because of the pain, and bleeding through super plus pads in 3 hours, it was the same. Suck it up and deal, that's what women do. 

My sophomore year in college, I decided I'd had enough and made my own gynecologist appointment to get on the pill and get something for the pain.  I wish my mom had done that way sooner - finally I could have a life during my period.  I also switched over to tampons on my own then. Mom never bought them because she didn't like using them herself, said they didn't feel natural or secure to her, so she didn't buy them. It wasn't that she thought there was anything wrong with using them, she just preferred pads.  When my sister was in high school and got heavily into cheerleading and dance team, she pretty much had to use them, so together we put the pressure on mom to buy them, lol.  I danced ballet all through junior high and high school, but she insisted I wear pads to do that, or miss class and take a makeup class the next week. I've been on the pill for 24 years straight this year, and you will have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands. 
  • I got mine about a month before my 14th birthday. I was in gym class, and things felt kind of weird down there, so I went to the bathroom. 

Sure enough, I had a little bit of blood in my underwear. I made a pad out of toilet paper and then ran out to get my friend. She didn't have any pads with her, so I asked our gym teacher if I could go to the office, and she asked why. I was so embarrassed. My friend whispered what was going on, and my teacher motioned to follow her to her office (in the locker room). She reached into a drawer, pulled out a couple pads, and said, "I can't imagine you asking the principal for these." (The principal was a male.) I kept blushing and started to explain I thought the school nurse would have them, and my teacher said, "She does, but I always have a bunch too. Come back if you need more today."

When I got home, I postponed telling my mom because I didn't want her to cry and be all "you're a woman now". I ended up telling her, though, because I needed pads and she'd had a hysterectomy, so we didn't have any in the house. I made her SWEAR not to tell my father or brother.

She took me shopping and helped me figure out the right size, wings or no wings, etc. I asked about tampons, and she said, "Young ladies don't use those. Once you're married and have had sex, you can use them." Lol...

I ended up using tampons anyway. Softball season started a few months later, and I was scared a pad would show through my (tight) pants. My mom was pissed, but I explained that I didn't want the pads to show or leak when I played sports.
  • FI cracks up over my story. I almost wish I hadn't told him because every time he thinks about my period (normally monthly) he laughs.

My mom didn't tell me anything. ANYTHING. We just don't talk in my family for whatever reason. It's weird. So, I was swimming during the summer at my Granny's house, probably around the July 4th (can't remember my age) and during a bathroom break, I noticed. Keep in mind that I knew nothing, so I legitimately thought I was dying. It's not normal to bleed from your insides, I thought. It continued for a few days and I did my best to use toilet paper to prevent leaks. Luckily, it was fairly light.

About the time I was worried enough to ask my mom, it stopped. Only a few days long. Then, of course, it happened again the next month. I've always been super regular. Again, I thought I was dying but didn't say anything. I think I went through one more month before a book and some panty liners showed up in my room. She had noticed that my underwear were dirty when she did laundry. My mom said to ask if I had any questions. I read the book and never asked a thing. To this day, my mom and I have never had any sort of "talk". I'm 26.

I relate so much to the others stories of those who thought something was seriously wrong or that they were dying because they didn't know about periods. It's a shame that it happens. I won't let it happen if I have a daughter someday. But, FI gets a good hearty laugh about my dying story every month. 

I have no idea how it went for my sister. Hopefully better. The bathroom was always stocked with whatever we needed and I never had to ask or say anything else about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, 'Search for Paradise.' " - Kiba, Wolf's Rain

• Y'all make me so glad my mom warned me.

• Got mine one month before turning 12 over a weekend.  I was terrified it would start at school but it didn't, so I had a little time to adjust.  Cramps and stuff started about 3 months later.  I was a pad gal until I was 15.  I like OB - don't know why they don't sell those anymore; way more eco friendly than tampons with applicators  

Thinking about switching to period cups.  Anyone use it?
    Happiness is an inside job
  • bekt14 said:
    Re:products We had tampons, but my Mom wouldn't let me use them. She didn't think I'd be responsible enough to remember to take them out. *eyeroll* So I wore just pads for a couple months. Then, I started using tampons and just didn't tell her. The first one I did wrong. (Didn't stick it in. Just held the tube against my body and pushed on the end.) but the second one was fine. Then a few months later, I was invited to a friends pool party birthday and I told my mom I couldn't go. So she said I could use a tampon and to take it out right after. I didn't tell her if been using them for months with no problems. She never did tell me I could use them! I just kept using them. I guess she realized at some point that I was using them, IDK. Now, I use a menatrual cup. LOVE IT!!!! And have actually converted my mom to using one.
    This is what I get for not finishing a thread to the end before posting!  Totally thinking of changing to a menstrual cup.
    Happiness is an inside job
  • edited September 2014

I was weird... I actually don't remember when it started or how old I was, maybe 13 or so).  It just wasn't a big deal to me.  And I didn't even tell my mom.  I knew where she kept her supplies, so I just would grab them from her bathroom when I needed them. Even when I started using tampons, I just read the instructions.  My mom found out nearly a year later when she came with me to doctor appointment and doctor asked when my last period was... my mom was shocked.  And I think she was kind of hurt... especially since I was her oldest daughter.  I wasn't trying to hide it from her, I was just the independent type and didn't want it to be a big deal.  At least she got the big OMG! moment when my sister got hers, because she'll take any excuse for attention.

Oh, and it helped that I was blessed with light flow and no/minimal cramping... and they often only last 3-4 days. My sister would often miss days of school because of horrible cramps.

• I was in sixth grade and I was so embarrassed that I couldn't even say the words to tell my mom. I just took the dirty underwear and showed her. Somehow that was less embarrassing?
  • I was in sixth grade and I was so embarrassed that I couldn't even say the words to tell my mom. I just took the dirty underwear and showed her. Somehow that was less embarrassing?

hahaha oh my goodness!

image   image   image

• I got mine in 6th grade. It was at home but still embarrassing. My mom wasn't home, she was traveling for work. So I had to tell my dad, instead of buying me pads I had to use socks...
  • I got mine when I was 14 right before I was supposed to go to a pool party. There was a lot of frustration on my part and my mom trying to talk me through inserting a tampon through the bathroom door. I'm pretty sure I was beyond frustrated and being a total bitch. I know that she reeeeallllyy did not want to help me insert it, even though she offered to. And I didn't want her to help me either. Luckily, I figured it out with her help through the door. 

• I got mine in 6th grade. It was at home but still embarrassing. My mom wasn't home, she was traveling for work. So I had to tell my dad, instead of buying me pads I had to use socks...
    Shut up. True story? Socks.
  • @Ic07 Yep true story. Haha I'm sure my dad was too mortified to buy pads but it was really awful. I made sure my mom bought me months in advance so that would never happen again.
  • I was 11 and I got it at school. I had to ask my old cranky teacher for something and she gave me a monster pad. 
    I remember trying out my mom's tampons before I got it and it hurting like hell to take out. When she found out she sat me down and had "the talk". 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • bekt14 said:

wandajune6

There's definitely a learning curve, but once you figure it out they are AMAZING! I have a very heavy flow (can't even use Super Plus Tampons for more than 4 hours), and the menstrual cup will last me 10-12 hours! Plus, my cramps are  more mild and I feel more comfortable during the day. 
    I would definitely give it another try. Maybe try a different brand. I use Diva Cups. 

Make  sure you have a good suction. If you do it right, you can actually hear the suction happen. It's like a slurping sound. The suction will prevent leaking and will keep it in place all day. One challenge is getting it around your cervix instead of folded on one side of the cervix. Since your cervinx doesn't normally point straight down (it's usually tilted towards one side and moves around throughout your cycle), you need to make sure it's placed around your entire cervix. Just run a finger around the brim after you've positioned it to make sure. If it's not in right, just take it out and start over. 

Thank you!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards