Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

FUNNY ceremony ideas

Hello! I would like some funny ceremony ideas. Here are a few ideas that we're thinking about doing, just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for:

1.) After our first kiss I will dip my husband and kiss him again
2.) Instead of saying "Til death do us part" we will say "To infinity and beyond!"
3.) Instead of having our pastor say "You may now kiss the bride" he will say "You may now update your Facebook statuses"

PLEASE don't be rude with your comments. If you think being funny is inappropriate then please don't even bother answering. We're funny people, our families know and love this about us, and our Pastor is ok with us doing some funny things as well as throwing in some jokes of his own :)

Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas

• Initially I loved 2 and 3, but the more I think about it those are real pop culture references that may not be relevant years from now, and your grandkids will be like "I don't get it.."  That being said, I'm pretty sure everyone will get a laugh out of your "double dip"  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The funniest things are those that just happen.  Don't try to force funny, it just comes across as tired, stale, and well, not funny.  People might laugh but more than likely it will be more of a nervous laughter than actually thinking something if funny.  There is a reason why actors say comedy is harder than tragedy!
  • RamonaFlowersRamonaFlowers member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:7cde7bd9-1623-448b-b50e-29b0ff61be19">FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! I would like some funny ceremony ideas. Here are a few ideas that we're thinking about doing, just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for: 1.) After our first kiss I will dip my husband and kiss him again 2.) Instead of saying "Til death do us part" we will say "To infinity and beyond!" 3.) Instead of having our pastor say "You may now kiss the bride" he will say "You may now update your Facebook statuses" PLEASE don't be rude with your comments. If you think being funny is inappropriate then please don't even bother answering. We're funny people, our families know and love this about us, and our Pastor is ok with us doing some funny things as well as throwing in some jokes of his own :)
    Posted by hersheykiss2087[/QUOTE]

The first two are cute.

But the last one ... Seriously? It was barely funny the first time somebody did it, and now it's just plain obnoxious.

And for the record, I have a pretty good sense of humor in general. DH and I do silly stuff all the time, and we did incorporate some of those things into the wedding (Subtle nods to our love of nerdy things). But yeah, I'm still telling you the FB update idea is just not cute or funny.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• Interesting... the Facebook one seemed the most unique to me of all of the ideas that we came up with so far. in fact, i did a poll on another wedding website and the FB status idea won as best idea by a long shot! im almost positive that we're going to use that one. thank you for your input, though. if you have any of your own ideas to suggest, i'd love to hear them!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:7cde7bd9-1623-448b-b50e-29b0ff61be19">FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! I would like some funny ceremony ideas. Here are a few ideas that we're thinking about doing, just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for: 1.) After our first kiss I will dip my husband and kiss him again 2.) Instead of saying "Til death do us part" we will say "To infinity and beyond!" 3.) Instead of having our pastor say "You may now kiss the bride" he will say "You may now update your Facebook statuses" PLEASE don't be rude with your comments. <strong>If you think being funny is inappropriate then please don't even bother answering. We're funny people, our families know and love this about us, and our Pastor is ok with us doing some funny things as well as throwing in some jokes of his own :)</strong>

<div>
    </div><div>Too bad this is the internet and we're all going to tell you what we think anyway....</div><div>
    </div><div>I don't think that being funny is inappropriate, but I agree with PP that the funniest things are usually spontaneous and not forced.   If saying "To infinity and beyond" MEANS something special to you, then go for it, but don't do it because you're trying to be silly for somebody else.   And the facebook status thing?  REALLY not funny.   </div>
    DSC_9275
  • TiffannieFTiffannieF member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I like 1...and I would chuckle at 3 but I think you should reword it as "You may now kiss the bride then change your FB status"...but get the kis part in.  I've never heard of the FB thing before although I have seen people change it right then and there through videos.

I'm not so sure about #2 because the vows are suppose to be sacred and serious...

A November 2011 bride had the ceremony musicians play the song from Mario Brothers when he makes it to the castle...said it was a HUGE hit.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2012
    The two of you are committing to spending the rest of your lives together, in front of all your family and friends.  Pretty solemn vows, and deserving of dignity, not humor.  Save the funny stuff for the reception, it's not appropriate during the ceremony.

And PPs are right, it's funny if it's spontaneous, not so much when you are writing a stand-up act and trying to deliver your lines.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:90c677dd-a36b-4dbc-8ff2-16e6b6e7a599">Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]A November 2011 bride had the ceremony musicians play the song from Mario Brothers when he makes it to the castle...said it was a HUGE hit.
    Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]

We kept our ceremony pretty simple and solemn ... but we did sneak in playing the victory music from Final Fantasy as our recessional, and that got quite a few giggles.

We also slipped in Final Fantasy music for the processional, but nobody actually knew the song came from a video game unless we told them, they just thought it was pretty music.

*I felt sorry for my husband before I met him. Take a number.*

• I agree that the funniest things that happen in life are the spontaneously funny moments. If things are staged, it will come across as staged and end up being more uncomfortable than funny.

Don't get me wrong, I thought number 3 was really funny, but I feel like it's funny for us because we "get" it. Not all of your guests will, so you run the risk of the joke falling flat.

I'll give you the same advice a director gave to me once.... try it once, maybe during the rehearsal. See how it feels, then ask yourself these questions: Did it get laughs the first time? Do you think the joke will be just as strong the second time? How about the third time?

• edited February 2012

I think you can do what you want, but I think theres better ways to subtly incoprorate your sence of humor then what you have posted. If I was a guest I would be offended or at least confused by the second one. I love toy story but to infinity and beyond is NOT a vow....it says nothing about your promises to eachother...if your not making promises for life...as stated in the till death do you part line..I'm confused as to why you are bothering to get married? 

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:682788f5-deff-4a13-b5c6-3123381cad77">Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you can do what you want, but I think theres better ways to subtly incoprorate your sence of humor then what you have posted. If I was a guest I would be offended or at least confused by the second one. I love toy story but to infinity and beyond is NOT a vow....it says nothing about your promises to eachother...if your not making promises for life...as stated in the till death do you part line.<strong>.I'm confused as to why you are bothering to get married</strong>? 
    Posted by toothpastechica[/QUOTE]

Why are you confused?
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • In my vow's I will be incorporating something funny "to laugh with you and to laugh at you". Also, not really funny but kinda cute, we are walking off the isle to I Want To Hold Your Hand, by the Beatles. We are playing it with lyrics and are asking the Pastor to sing it with the music as we walk out.

And, I actually think the FB thing is cute. I am not a huge FB person, but if you and FI are I think it would be a great way to end it. But I agree with Tiffaniee I like "you may now kiss the bride and change your FB status.

• I am sorry in regards to the Beatles "We are asking the Pastor to ask our guest's to sing"
  • edited February 2012
    My fi and I were jokeing that instead of kissing we could do a jump high five. If my mom weren't against it we probably would. lol. 

Another thing we've been jokeing about, but wont' actually do bc its a bit extreem is to have a Monty Python wedding. Before Fi walks in we could have someone do the "bring out your dead" thing. And when the maids and matrons go up the aisle they could do the coconut banging to sound like horses. Like I said, funny in the idea but too much for a real wedding for us. :)

Have fun!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:682788f5-deff-4a13-b5c6-3123381cad77">Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think you can do what you want, but I think theres better ways to subtly incoprorate your sence of humor then what you have posted. If I was a guest I would be offended or at least confused by the second one. I love toy story but to infinity and beyond is NOT a vow....it says nothing about your promises to eachother...if your not making promises for life...as stated in the till death do you part line..I'm confused as to why you are bothering to get married? 

Not everyone has to say the exact same words for the vows to be meaningful and special to that couple.  What's confusing about 2 people choosing to speak words that mean something to them, as opposed to cookie cutter lines that took no thought or effort to come up with?
    I think To Infinity and Beyond is an awesome line for vows!  I think it says a lot about your promises to each other...
  • To infinity and beyond doesnt promise anything....why get married if your not going to promise your commitment? I'd be more comfortable with people who write thier own vows completely than take the promises out of the traditional vows just to be funny. Last I checked the whole point of getting married was to make those promises and that commitment....a wedding without public declaration of thier commitment is just a show for the guests.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• I am all for incorporating things special to you and FI and being funny. H and I fist bump all the time, so we fist bumped before we kissed. However, I don't think the FB one is all that funny.

I have seen it done too many times (via YouTube, etc) and think it's getting played out, just like choreographing a dancing to "Forever" got played out after that went viral. Also, as others have said, not every single guest may "get" it (I know my grandparents have no idea what FB is), and years from now, it may not be a "thing" like it is today. I would skip #3 honestly. I do think #1 is cute. Not even ha ha funny, but cute, and I think that's fine.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • I guess in my head I am swapping out "til death do us part" for "to infinity and beyond" and I think it's real sweet...
  • Ok, apparently you guys are way too serious on this website. sorry i even asked you all. we're going to have a funny wedding because unlike you all we dont take life too seriously! just because we want to make sure our wedding is funny, memorable, unique or whatever... doens't mean it's immature, inappropriate, or not sacred. "To infinity and beyond" means FOREVER! how is that not a commitment?? i seriously don't understand you people at all. and by the way, i never asked any of your opinions. i asked for new ideas, not a judement on what my fiance and i have already decided on doing. if i could figure out how to delete this whole post, i would. thanks to you guys i will no longer be using this website. you've left a bad taste in my mouth by how stuck up you all sound. i hope your weddings and your marriages are as bland and snooty as you all make yourselves out to be. goodbye.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:7501c9d7-bef7-4909-9d03-9ddbb5c51bcc">Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, apparently you guys are way too serious on this website. sorry i even asked you all. we're going to have a funny wedding because unlike you all we dont take life too seriously! just because we want to make sure our wedding is funny, memorable, unique or whatever... doens't mean it's immature, inappropriate, or not sacred. "To infinity and beyond" means FOREVER! how is that not a commitment?? i seriously don't understand you people at all. and by the way, i never asked any of your opinions. i asked for new ideas, not a judement on what my fiance and i have already decided on doing. if i could figure out how to delete this whole post, i would. thanks to you guys i will no longer be using this website. you've left a bad taste in my mouth by how stuck up you all sound. i hope your weddings and your marriages are as bland and snooty as you all make yourselves out to be. goodbye.

Oh please, grow a pair. This is a public online forum and people will tell you how they feel, whether it is what you asked for or not.

Many people told you that they like one or two of your options - but they also warned you that rehearsing it may make it seem just that: rehearsed. Not funny. Not cute. Not unique. Rehearsed. And as many have said, the FB thing is not unique - a LOT of people have done it.

All that said, I think the 2nd dip would be cute... just don't drop him. Although, I admit I'd probably be the first one laughing in the audience if you did...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:7501c9d7-bef7-4909-9d03-9ddbb5c51bcc">Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, apparently you guys are way too serious on this website. sorry i even asked you all. we're going to have a funny wedding because unlike you all we dont take life too seriously! just because we want to make sure our wedding is funny, memorable, unique or whatever... doens't mean it's immature, inappropriate, or not sacred. "To infinity and beyond" means FOREVER! how is that not a commitment?? i seriously don't understand you people at all. and by the way, i never asked any of your opinions. i asked for new ideas, not a judement on what my fiance and i have already decided on doing. if i could figure out how to delete this whole post, i would. thanks to you guys i will no longer be using this website. you've left a bad taste in my mouth by how stuck up you all sound. i hope your weddings and your marriages are as bland and snooty as you all make yourselves out to be. goodbye.
    Posted by hersheykiss2087[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I love this! You tell it girl.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:7501c9d7-bef7-4909-9d03-9ddbb5c51bcc">Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok, apparently <span style="font-weight:bold;">you guys are way too serious</span> on this website. sorry i even asked you all. we're going to have a funny wedding because <span style="font-weight:bold;">unlike you all we </span>dont<span style="font-weight:bold;"> take life too seriously</span>! just because we want to make sure our wedding is funny, memorable, unique or whatever... doens't mean it's immature, inappropriate, or not sacred. "To infinity and beyond" means FOREVER! how is that not a commitment?? i seriously don't understand you people at all. and by the way, i never asked any of your opinions. i asked for new ideas, not a judement on what my fiance and i have already decided on doing. if i could figure out how to delete this whole post, i would. thanks to you guys i will no longer be using this website. you've left a bad taste in my mouth by how stuck up you all sound. i hope <span style="font-weight:bold;">your weddings and your marriages are as bland and snooty as you all make yourselves out to be</span>. goodbye.

Oh please *rolls eyes*

Like you are any better making judgement at us...I didn't say you were a bad person so <span style="font-weight:bold;">don't take things so personal!</span>

I too felt the girls on here could be harsh at times but I swallowed it and like a mature adult I tried to open minded, as a result I got some good advice and warnings.

But as retread says...go ahead and have the wedding you want...

Oh BTW, here are some other ideas for a "funny" wedding: Have a clown, a comedian, have your MOH put some breath freshener in your mouth before you go to kiss your groom, say "After Me" when the officant says "Repeat After me".
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:b278d440-90a0-4f4d-9d33-51fa618eb900">Re: FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]To infinity and beyond doesnt promise anything....why get married if your not going to promise your commitment? I'd be more comfortable with people who write thier own vows completely than take the promises out of the traditional vows just to be funny. Last I checked the whole point of getting married was to make those promises and that commitment....a wedding without public declaration of thier commitment is just a show for the guests.

The 'to infinity and beyond' is to represent time...that their commitment for loving each other does not have an end or boundary.

The OP at no time said they were going to do a "I remember when I met you, I knew you were the one.  You've always been there for me and I love that about you" 'vow', she was just thinking of replacing 'til death to us part'.  Cheese and Crackers.
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Humour is subjective.
  • I'm a hoot.  The facebook thing? Yawn.
  • NOL...remember she didn't ask us for our opinions....lol
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • I think the first 2 are kinda cute. I really think #3 is overdone and annoying, and won't be relavent in a few years when something else comes out that people are going to like more than Facebook. That being said, its your wedding. I think whatever you want to do, is fine. As long as you clear it with your FI first. I know that certain things I've seen done at weddings would make me flip out. I saw a video online where the groom grabbed a huge handful of cake and coated his new wife. Not cool.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Ick.  It all sounds really kitschy to me.  Not funny.

But to each their own, I guess.

SaveSave
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_funny-ceremony-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:22b6b012-7482-429e-8064-3da7186c2d61Post:7cde7bd9-1623-448b-b50e-29b0ff61be19">FUNNY ceremony ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! I would like some funny ceremony ideas. Here are a few ideas that we're thinking about doing, just to give you an idea of what I'm looking for: 1.) After our first kiss I will dip my husband and kiss him again 2.) Instead of saying "Til death do us part" we will say "To infinity and beyond!" 3.) Instead of having our pastor say "You may now kiss the bride" he will say "You may now update your Facebook statuses" <strong>PLEASE don't be rude with your comments. If you think being funny is inappropriate then please don't even bother answering. We're funny people, our families know and love this about us, and our Pastor is ok with us doing some funny things as well as throwing in some jokes of his own :)</strong>
    Posted by hersheykiss2087[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Don't tell people how to respond.  These are the interwebs.  If you can't handle differing opinions, you shouldn't ask.</div><div>
    </div><div>Funny moments are those that happen spontaneously as a PP said.  Anything that is staged comes off looking cheesy.  And the updating the FB statuses one?  Terrible.  Not funny at all.

</div>
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • during  our ceremony, I said "forever and ever" instead of 'till death do us part.' I didn't tell anyone which made it funny, because DH was surprised. We had also planned a sand ceremony, but no one finished setting it up, so the officiant grabbed a table with an old tea pitcher of sand and nothing else. And told us to improvise. I kept saying  skip it, skip it. Made for funny pictures and a good laugh during the tense monent.
    Sometimes, funny things just happen at your wedding.

I think it would be funnier if, after 'I now pronounce you husband and wife, you may kiss your bride" your husband said "wait, let us update our facebook statuses"  and he has both his and your phone and hands you your phone from his pocket. I haven't seen that on youtube yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards