Wedding 911

My FI's sister called dibs on our venue!

Dear Knot 911,

My fiancé and I are recently engaged and we finally selected a reception venue. We are a year out from the date and wanted to get our venue booked and out of the way before I started school this semester. The venue we found is perfect for our needs - it is fun, nontraditional, and is one of the only venues in the area that fits inside our small budget. 

We began to tell our families about the venue two weeks ago, and today, my fiancé’s dad called him asking why we chose that particular venue, because well, you see, that is my fiancé’s older (unmarried, single) sister's dream venue. Apparently, she called 'dibs'.

We've already booked the venue, but we haven't put down our deposit just yet.

His family wants to avoid an issue by asking us to discreetly back off the venue and find something else in order to avoid angering the sister. I am already upset - what can I possibly do? I really want this venue because it fits our budget and have already begun planning, but how can I put my foot down without ruining my relationship with my new family?

Re: My FI's sister called dibs on our venue!

• heydeadly said:

Dear Knot 911,

My fiancé and I are recently engaged and we finally selected a reception venue. We are a year out from the date and wanted to get our venue booked and out of the way before I started school this semester. The venue we found is perfect for our needs - it is fun, nontraditional, and is one of the only venues in the area that fits inside our small budget. 

We began to tell our families about the venue two weeks ago, and today, my fiancé’s dad called him asking why we chose that particular venue, because well, you see, that is my fiancé’s older (unmarried, single) sister's dream venue. Apparently, she called 'dibs'.

We've already booked the venue, but we haven't put down our deposit just yet.

His family wants to avoid an issue by asking us to discreetly back off the venue and find something else in order to avoid angering the sister. I am already upset - what can I possibly do? I really want this venue because it fits our budget and have already begun planning, but how can I put my foot down without ruining my relationship with my new family?

First off, FSIL can't call "dibs" like that.  And even if she was engaged and had already booked that venue, there's nothing saying that you & your FI can't have your wedding there as well.

Have your FI talk to his parents and sister.  Explain that you have made your decision to have your wedding at this venue, and that's the end of the discussion.  His sister can decide how to act. 
  • She's single.  It's not like you're having your wedding there the weekend before.  Keep the venue.  And say that maybe the sister can get a friends and family repeat business discount if she ever gets married.  But at this level of neurotic, PITA it's probably a non-issue.  
  • Your FSIL can't call dibs on a venue.  Even if you guys had the same venue both weddings will end up looking different because it is yours.  I can see being upset if she already booked the venue and you decided to book it the day before/after but she has no plan of being married in the near future.  

We booked the exact same venue as my FSIL ( I didn't know at the time that it was the same hall since the venue has two) but the venue is undergoing a complete renovations so it will be completely different.  When I told her where we were doing the ceremony and reception all she said was "I had the same place, don't you just love it?" 

Just tell them you already booked it/gave deposit and leave it at that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Absurd.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I wouldn't change it especially when budgets are limited. You've found a spot that you're in love with, you're the ones that are getting married, she's single and nowhere near getting married thus she shouldn't even be looking at wedding venues let alone calling "dibs". I'd tell them that you put down your deposit, booked it and that's that, the topic is over.

It's not like it's the same wedding dress for crying out loud or has she called dibs on that too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well if we are thinking this way I must go find a new venue. So many people in my small town use the venue I picked including a couple of my friends. I must go out and change everything!!!!

On a serious note, She can not do that. Do not change your venue because of this. Who cares if you all use the same venue. Tell her she can get ideas on what she wants for her wedding when that day comes. If she is still not happy, then she can get over it. Unless this some super unique and fairly new venue then many other people are going to use this as their venue. She will not be the only one. If she going to think like that and throw a fit then it is very unmature of her. If she does this I would see her as a brat.

• I'm using the same venue that my best friend used for her reception 2 years ago. Neither of us care seeing as a venue can't be dibs nor for one person. I always find it humorous when people won't book a venue due to someone they know already "claiming it." 
  • As just about everyone has said... book the venue.  Your FSIL can't call dibs, unless your weddings are the same weekend.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm having my wedding ceremony and reception at the exact same church and reception site as my brother did 2 years ago.

You'll get to work through all the kinks before you sister does when she gets married. Thanks to my brother and SIL, I know what to expect for costs, what "add ons" are not worth it, what totally were at this venue. Also, what places look good for photos, and what spots just looked bad. It's awesome. 

Don't let your family guilt trip you. In a few years when your sister has her wedding, no one will think it's a big deal.
  • Am I the only one thinking of that Friends episode where Monica puts herself on the waitlist for a wedding venue and they call because of a cancellation and scare the piss out of Chandler?
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My sister used my venue after we did.  My cousin (for whom I am MOH and my H is best man) is getting married in it this spring. Who knows, my other cousin getting married may choose it too!
  • I have a lot of family who got married at the same church and/or reception.   NBD. In some locations you only have so many options anyway.

Sister will get over it.  

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • You can't call "dibs" on a venue... It's not like she's the only one in the world who'd ever get to use it. I'd keep doing what you've planned. If she ever does end up using that venue, it would be organized and decorated differently anyway. It's not like you'd have identical receptions by any means. I'm from a small town and I know a few people who have used the same reception venue and it's always been fun and unique!
  • My FI and I are having our wedding at the same venue that his brother and sister-in-law did 5 years ago. Since your future SIL is single, it would be wrong and selfish of her to ask you to cancel your contract and whatnot. Who knows if she'll ever even get married or live in the same area when she decides to get married?! Life is unpredictable. I think that you should keep the venue! You deserve to have the wedding of your dreams, and if this venue is it, then you need to do what's going to make you happy. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards