Chit Chat

Wearing white to a wedding.

Re: Wearing white to a wedding.

• I wouldn't personally wear white to anyone's wedding but I guess this is how it is: the person who wears white )except the bride obviously) is the one who'll look bad at the end of the day. So, we really shouldn't over think it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There's a huge difference between wearing this (patterned dress with a white background):

And This:

Personally I don't care what people wear to my wedding - it's a reflection of them, not me.  I would never wear white to a wedding, unless specifically requested to (example: if I was a bridesmaid and the bride wanted us in white).

Anniversary
  • pinkcow13 said:
    I totally side eye this. I make an effort not to wear any white at a wedding. I won't tell anyone not to wear white to my wedding, and chances are I'll notice, but not care if someone does. But I do side eye it. We went to a wedding last month, and one of the guests wore a tiny, skin tight white dress with at least 6 inch heels. I'm talking one wrong move, or one slip on those heels, and it would have been ass central. I looked at FI like

Finding "that girl" is one of my favorite people watching games. There is always at least one girl who goes to the wedding in too short / tight a dress and too tall of heels. Always. It's like my Where's Waldo of weddings.
    Haha, I know, ALWAYS! I wonder who it will be at mine lol.
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• pinkcow13 said:
    I totally side eye this. I make an effort not to wear any white at a wedding. I won't tell anyone not to wear white to my wedding, and chances are I'll notice, but not care if someone does. But I do side eye it. We went to a wedding last month, and one of the guests wore a tiny, skin tight white dress with at least 6 inch heels. I'm talking one wrong move, or one slip on those heels, and it would have been ass central. I looked at FI like

Finding "that girl" is one of my favorite people watching games. There is always at least one girl who goes to the wedding in too short / tight a dress and too tall of heels. Always. It's like my Where's Waldo of weddings.
    We had one...  a friend of mine showed up in that description.  I remember my mom telling me "so your aunt was horrified that she just saw vag on the dance floor".  I kid you not.  Looking at pictures... there was one with her in the background pulling her dress down because her one butt cheek came out to say hi.  Who is comfortable having to worry about things like this all night??
  • l9i said:
    We had one...  a friend of mine showed up in that description.  I remember my mom telling me "so your aunt was horrified that she just saw vag on the dance floor".  I kid you not.  Looking at pictures... there was one with her in the background pulling her dress down because her one butt cheek came out to say hi.  Who is comfortable having to worry about things like this all night??
    Ugh, this was me at my company Christmas party last year. My dress wasn't scandalously short, but it was form-fitting and I'd never worn it with pantyhose previously. The pantyhose made it slide up my legs constantly, so I spent the entire night pulling the fucking thing back down. I was SO uncomfortable and embarrassed. I can't imagine wearing something like that on purpose to a wedding at which I'd be dancing and moving around a lot. Or just a wedding in general. 

And I'm definitely in the no-white-to-weddings-unless-you're-the-bride camp. You have to be a major AW to do something like that. But, then, I look gross in white anyway and I don't especially like a lot of attention. 
  • pinkcow13 said:
    pinkcow13 said:

Haha, I know, ALWAYS! I wonder who it will be at mine lol.
    I love doing this too!

My BF/BM refers to it as "stripperitis." She's still in the adult entertainment world and now worries about having stripperitis whenever she has something dressy to go to. I regularly get text messages asking if her outfits are too slutty.

My BMs were all told to choose black dresses of similar lengths- they decided on shorter (though this friend said she didn't care, just whatever the other girls wanted). She's so paranoid about looking like a hooker in front of my gramma that she brings a new dress every time she visits looking for approval!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My MIL and Aunt-IL both wore white/off-white at our wedding this summer. Didn't bother me at all bc, whatever, but I did have that moment of "wait, really? Welllllll ok then" - in my head. I did think of y'all, though. And same thing happened to the aunt- posted a pic her and her BF captioned "wedding bound" and her comments BLEW UP with congrats lol. She finally commented and said "no no, going to a wedding... That's what I get for wearing white to someone else's wedding!" Made me chuckle.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • My friend was showing me a dress she wants to wear to our wedding this weekend and it's mostly ivory, I told her that she can wear whatever she wants. Here is the dress from RTR. Is it that bad, would you side-eye?
  • kasmith1 said:
    My friend was showing me a dress she wants to wear to our wedding this weekend and it's mostly ivory, I told her that she can wear whatever she wants. Here is the dress from RTR. Is it that bad, would you side-eye?
    That is borderline for me, but it doesn't look bridal with the black.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • kasmith1 said:
    My friend was showing me a dress she wants to wear to our wedding this weekend and it's mostly ivory, I told her that she can wear whatever she wants. Here is the dress from RTR. Is it that bad, would you side-eye?
    It's definitely borderline. The bottom makes me side-eye it. The top not so much. 
  • kasmith1 said:
    It's a beautiful dress but definitely borderline for a wedding. If she's confident and can let any judgment roll off her back, then I'd tell her to go for it, since you're okay with it. It was very sweet of her to ask you first.
  • beethery said:
    At my aunt's wedding, as we were all walking into the church, I noticed a girl with a big sneer on her face. She was wearing a white tube dress with an eyelet lace overlay and a skinny black belt. And some of these shoes (I hate these fucking shoes):

She acted out the whole time at the reception, and everyone knew she was pressed as hell about something.

I wore a white dress that was mostly covered in red flowers and didn't think anything of it until years later. Whoops.

I pretty much don't care if someone wears white unless that person is acting like a flaccid asshole, then me and that person gonna have a problem.
    White with a colourful pattern? Doesn't bother me at all.

As for wearing plain white to a wedding, it's not so much the colour that bothers me as it is the fact that they most likely know it's a faux-pas. I will always side-eye attention-seeking wedding guests.

[And don't hate me but I like those shoes!]

• That's what I thought, it was borderline, also depending on how she accessorized it could be a little too dressy for our brunch wedding.

@ClimbingBrideNY, sorry to threadjack! But hopefully since we are date twins, you will forgive me. :)

@cupcait927 It was very sweet of her, she is a good friend. She said she was going to keep looking though and if she couldn't find anything that would be her last resort.

• kasmith1 said:

That's what I thought, it was borderline, also depending on how she accessorized it could be a little too dressy for our brunch wedding.

@ClimbingBrideNY, sorry to threadjack! But hopefully since we are date twins, you will forgive me. :)

@cupcait927 It was very sweet of her, she is a good friend. She said she was going to keep looking though and if she couldn't find anything that would be her last resort.

No worries!!
  • [And don't hate me but I like those shoes!]
    I'll hate ya because if I'm doing a pointed toe, I prefer a shorter point.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:

That point only works with a sharp pleated suit pant, NEVER with a skirt and especially not a freakin' tube dress. I always do a shorter point for a pencil skirt or cigarette pant, almond or round toe with dresses. :)

• I have big, fat toes so a longer point keeps my feet from looking enormously wide. 
    ~*~*~*~*~

• beethery said:

That point only works with a sharp pleated suit pant, NEVER with a skirt and especially not a freakin' tube dress. I always do a shorter point for a pencil skirt or cigarette pant, almond or round toe with dresses. :)
    Meh, I don't have a huge problem with wearing them with pencil skirts. I'll agree with you on dresses and full/flowy skirts, though. 

• I really hate when girls wear white to weddings when they arent the bride, its a huge pet-peeve of mine.  Surprisingly on my own wedding day I was too busy to care...but seemed to care much more when there were girls in white at my cousins wedding a month later.   They clearly need the attention.
  • beethery said:

OMG i need someone to write me a list of do's and don'ts because I'm all over here like "i like those shoes, they could work with so many things" and then i'm googling "cigarette pants".  I have so much to learn.
  • kasmith1 said:
    I would side-eye just because of the skirt. I just don't understand out of all the beautiful dresses in the world, why anyone does this??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• On the scale of fucks, I could give absolutely zero. That said, people are always on the hunt for something to judge, so it's obviously an easy target & the people ballsy enough to do it should be prepared accordingly. But as a bride, people's attire was about the lowest thing on the my radar on wedding day. 

This.

Other guests judging what other ppl are wearing is just catty and pointless. And I fundamentally don't understand it.

Brides who flip over what other ppl are wearing strike me as insecure and AWs, honestly. You already *are* the center of attention, for Lords Dake!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• There's a huge difference between wearing this (patterned dress with a white background):

And This:

Personally I don't care what people wear to my wedding - it's a reflection of them, not me.  I would never wear white to a wedding, unless specifically requested to (example: if I was a bridesmaid and the bride wanted us in white).

And there's a difference why? Because neither dress looks bridal.

What is the logic a behind your judgement anyways? Seems it's just based on assumptions. You all assuming the guest is being an AW.

In my mind you can't yell at SS' s for trying to impose attire restrictions on guests or writing any attire info on invitations if you sit in the pews and try to cast shade at other guests over their attire choices.

I'm not attacking you all, just making points trying to get you to reconsider your sartorial snark.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I just skimmed our wedding pics.  One of my college friends wore a light grey top & cardigan (she is sitting down in the pic, so I can't see what she is wearing on the bottom).  The color is almost white.  I honestly was just so happy to see her and her husband & daughter that I honestly didn't pay attention. 

And This:

And there's a difference why? Because neither dress looks bridal. What is the logic a behind your judgement anyways? Seems it's just based on assumptions. You all assuming the guest is being an AW. In my mind you can't yell at SS' s for trying to impose attire restrictions on guests or writing any attire info on invitations if you sit in the pews and try to cast shade at other guests over their attire choices. I'm not attacking you all, just making points trying to get you to reconsider your sartorial snark.
    Well, since every dress I've liked has been similar to the second one.... 

I don't care what people wear, but if I wound up wearing the exact same dress as someone at my wedding I actually probably would notice, and would probably be upset.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • NdelibleNdelible member
    5 Love Its First Answer First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    I do not get the obsession with women wearing white to weddings.  

1. Other colors used to be verboten, such as black or red, is white the last wall?  Why not let it fall?
    2. There are many dress choices in white, especially the last couple of seasons.  White lace even.
    3. Why care about someone else getting side eyed?  Their choice of attire, their circus.
    4. If someone wants to dress up like a slu-dog...  Oh well, they gonna do what they do.
    5. Don't we all have something better to do?
    Happiness is an inside job
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards