Snarky Brides

etiquette police

What is with the holier-than-thou etiquette police you need to point out everything I (you too) are doing "wrong". Who the hell cares if I write "1:30pm" on my invite because it's more "us" than saying "half past one o'clock in the afternoon"?!?!? Live and let live my friends.

Also, what is with people bashing theknot.com on these boards? Do they not realize the boards are run by the knot?

Happy Thursday!

Re: etiquette police

• KellyT22 said:
    What is with the holier-than-thou etiquette police you need to point out everything I (you too) are doing "wrong". Who the hell cares if I write "1:30pm" on my invite because it's more "us" than saying "half past one o'clock in the afternoon"?!?!? Live and let live my friends. Also, what is with people bashing theknot.com on these boards? Do they not realize the boards are run by the knot? Happy Thursday!

Meh
  • KellyT22 said:
    Also, what is with people bashing theknot.com on these boards? Do they not realize the boards are run by the knot? Happy Thursday!

Because the Knot gives lame wedding advice that just feeds the wedding industry. Our goal is to keep you from becoming a bitch and alienating your friends & family. They just want a profit.
  • I'm just referring to posts in general. Reading through some of this stuff just makes my head spin.

I like to believe that the length of time between ceremony and reception or vows I choose won't alienate my family because of the love and mutual respect we share for each other. Just my perspective.
  • My time gap isn't bad but I saw a poor girl get ripped apart earlier today over a two hour gap that she seemingly had no choice in. Rubbed me the wrong way. Guess I've been to a lot of weddings with decent gaps. It's never bothered me.
  • Full disclosure - at my work I am a Knot advertiser. We get no say in content.
  • KellyT22 said:
    My time gap isn't bad but I saw a poor girl get ripped apart earlier today over a two hour gap that she seemingly had no choice in. Rubbed me the wrong way. Guess I've been to a lot of weddings with decent gaps. It's never bothered me.
    Any gap is rude, you always have a choice. 

• KellyT22 said:
    Full disclosure - at my work I am a Knot advertiser. We get no say in content.

Good for you! (??)
  • I believe that bride had to start her wedding at 2pm or some early time because of her priest. Was she supposed to serve dinner at 3? Have a 2 hour cocktail party?

Again, if it was me I know my family would be understand and sympathetic but maybe I'm just lucky.
  • @sarahbear31‌ I think there are some misconceptions about what kind of say advertisers get. Was surprising too hear as someone on the "other side".
  • KellyT22 said:
    I believe that bride had to start her wedding at 2pm or some early time because of her priest. Was she supposed to serve dinner at 3? Have a 2 hour cocktail party? Again, if it was me I know my family would be understand and sympathetic but maybe I'm just lucky.
    Early dinner reception. Nobody would be bothered by it. Simple solution.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• KellyT22 said:
    I believe that bride had to start her wedding at 2pm or some early time because of her priest. Was she supposed to serve dinner at 3? Have a 2 hour cocktail party? Again, if it was me I know my family would be understand and sympathetic but maybe I'm just lucky.

We had a Catholic wedding at 2:00. It was over by 3:15, and guests arrived at the reception around 3:45. We served dinner at 5:30 or so. Everyone wins.

And I know advertisers don't have a say in content.  I also know that The Knot uses a CMS system called Sitecore and how content is published.  I actually helped implement the same software for the Mayo Clinic.  I know how content management works. 
  • KellyT22 said:
    Cocktail hour from 3-4, introductions, spot light dances, cake cutting, toasts etc  4-4:30, then have an early dinner. 

I've been to plenty of weddings that started at 2:30 ended around 3:30, and then 15-20 minutes to get to the reception venue and cocktail hour started around 4pm. It can be done, adults have to make tough choices. 

Sounds like she wanted her church wedding and her evening reception, too bad so sad.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• We had a 2 PM wedding and the reception began at 4. Between the receiving line, drive and our long-winded priest, there was no gap. We eat early dinners on holidays so this was just like Easter, Christmas or Thanksgiving.

You should never put your guests in the position where they need to be understanding of your rudeness.
  • Guess what - I put 5:30 pm on my invitations. I didn't get any shit for it. Reason? I didn't come on here asking for advice on what was the most appropriate wedding invitation wording. You're right, no one in your family may really care if you right 1:30pm - but you asked for how it should properly be done on a wedding invitation - and people told you. 

Also - gaps are rude, and avoidable. Why would you think a bride had no choice? Isn't she the one who planned this whole shindig?

I don't agree with all of the etiquette that is relayed on these boards. But I understand that it is the proper etiquette as laid out by etiquette experts. If you come on here asking - that's what you're going to get. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards