Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Rude Wedding Invitations

Rudest wedding (or shower) invitations you've ever seen.

GO.

Re: Rude Wedding Invitations

• Options
    Well, there were two weddings where FI was invited but I was not, so that was rude.  One of those also included registry cards with the invitation.  But those are sort of run-of-the-mill rude things.  I mean I judge them like crazy, but sadly they aren't all that shocking  :/

• Options
    Well the top is the one where SO was invited and I was "and guest."

Then there are the Facebook events some of my friends from high school decided were an appropriate way to invite people to a wedding. Several couples from my hometown created Facebook event pages, invited all of their Facebook friends, and said our wedding is on X date & time leave your address if you want an invite! Ugh...so rude.

• Options
    The best was the e-vite I got for a college classmate's wedding wedding and subsequent 3 AHRs. The RSVP link also had a spot for you to indicate which dish you'd bring to the pot luck. I hadn't seen nor communicated with this person in over 10 years.
  • Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2014
    Wedding Invitation from husband's cousin:
    * please note that the groom actually contacted me through Facebook (i.e. in writing) to ask for the relevant names and addresses, so had all this information. And yet...

• First name spelled wrong
    • Last name, they used my husband's although I've kept my own and they KNEW that as per above (I would let it slide otherwise)
    • Registry card included
    • Hand-printed on envelope of response card, all in caps: "SORRY NO CHILDREN ALLOWED"
    • Response card with envelope included, but not addressed or stamped (if people want to go the traditional route with RSVPs I'm cool with that, but don't half-ass it like this, it just makes you look lazy and cheap)
    • Followed up with a Facebook invite to their Stag and Doe (yeah... that kind)

Let's see... did I forget anything...?
  • Options
    My husband was invited to his cousin's wedding, on his parent's invite. His two other brothers were also on the parent's invite. Did I mention my husband was 33 and his brothers were 25 and 39! And only the 25 year old brother lived at home.

I had been dating my now husband for about a year at this point, so MIL asked if I was invited too. They gave some excuse about venue capacity. 

None of them attended since it was across the country anyway.

• Options
    Fi's cousin's wedding: Fi (age ~20) included on his parents' invitation.  I was not included.  We had been dating about 3 years.

A "honeymoon theme" shower which requested contributions to the Honeyfund.

Nothing else too egregious, though.  I'm still a bit stung about being left out of that family wedding, but otherwise I haven't seen anything too crazy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Invite for my own cousin's wedding a few years ago.  Cousin is younger than me and at the time I had been with H, then bf, for 5 years, which was 3 years longer than their relationship:
    -I was listed on my parents' invite.  At age 23.
    -H was listed as "and guest"
    -"Adults only"
    -Registry info in the invite
    -Labels instead of hand-written, and the RSVP envelope wasn't addressed or stamped

Yes, they had a dollar dance.  No, they're no longer together.

Actually the WORST invite I have ever received was one that was only for myself and not H.  No other issues with theirs really, but I didn't attend.

• Options
    I was just listed on my parents invite to a wedding. I'm 34. And getting married in three weeks. And the person who sent the invite is invited to my wedding.
  • Options
    my sister's ex-H received an email invite to a "virtual reception" that basically said they eloped and wanted to celebrate virtually with all their friends - oh and by the way, here's our registry information.

They used the military as the excuse I believe.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    As I've posted before, my boss's wedding invite was pretty rude. Why? I was invited alone, without my SO that she knows and has met a million times. I was invited alone, as was everybody else who wasn't married, because of "venue capacity" and "don't have the budget to upgrade to a bigger room." And yet, you're serving Filet Mignon & Stuffed Lobster Tail duo plates as your entree? Oh yeah, big budget problems, I get it. (Cash bar too...) I was also invited to another wedding without my SO at the time, and when I asked if he was invited, the bride said "No! I have to pay for all these plates, I'm not paying for your boyfriend's dinner!" I didn't go. I'm all set.
  • Options
    "Adult only reception"
    "Please no boxed gifts"- seen it several times all from H's family

• Options
    While I didn't actually see this invitation, I know somebody from high school whose invitations advised guests that they would have to pay $40 for their own dinner. My dad didn't see anything wrong with this, which annoyed me and my mom almost as much as the idea of an entrance fee for a wedding.

• Options
    classyduckclassyduck member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    My FI was IN a wedding, he was a groomsman, and I wasn't invited. Then, when he got to the wedding, they were like, "Where's Classyduck"? REALLY?! You don't bother to send a proper paper invite, but then you don't even verbally indicate that I'm invited?! I was trying to be polite by not asking if I could go, but man that steamed me.
  • Options
    Wedding at 1:30.
    Reception at 5:30.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• Options
    A group fb message about the DW where it's BYOB and potluck. What? 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Wedding at 1:30. Reception at 5:30.
    FI's cousin has one of these the Saturday after thanksgiving. Unfortunately, he is kinder and more forgiving than me so we are going. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    moutonrougemoutonrouge member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    Friend from college got married our senior year, and hers was the worst to date:
    Registry inserts
    No SOs invited
    4 hour ceremony followed by a 5 hour gap (note: I didn't find the length of the ceremony rude as they were having an abbreviated Hindi ceremony; however, it was a long time to sit over lunch to then not be fed until 7pm)
    That 5 hour gap was not universal - family members were hosted during that time - they got an extra insert about afternoon tea and appetizers

This was also not rude, just interesting, but her invites were massive - at least 9x9 squares, on incredibly thick almost photo-mat like paper, and each event (ceremony, afternoon tea, reception) had a separate large sheet that was in an envelope inside the larger envelope. I can't imagine what the postage costs were sending those around the US and then also to relatives in India. 
  • Options
    Friend from college got married our senior year, and hers was the worst to date:
    Registry inserts
    No SOs invited
    4 hour ceremony followed by a 5 hour gap (note: I didn't find the length of the ceremony rude as they were having an abbreviated Hindi ceremony; however, it was a long time to sit over lunch to then not be fed until 7pm)
    That 5 hour gap was not universal - family members were hosted during that time - they got an extra insert about afternoon tea and appetizers

This was also not rude, just interesting, but her invites were massive - at least 9x9 squares, on incredibly thick almost photo-mat like paper, and each event (ceremony, afternoon tea, reception) had a separate large sheet that was in an envelope inside the larger envelope. I can't imagine what the postage costs were sending those around the US and then also to relatives in India. 
    Holy crap, why?! An entire forest died for that. 
  • Options
    I've posted this before, but I received an e-vite from a former flatmate of a friend of mine ( I haven't spoken to this person in YEARS):

-It was a  "wedding tour" (their words). As they are an international couple (neither from the UK), they are throwing wedding receptions in about 5 different places. 
    -This in and of itself isn't so bad, but I received an update from the groom that we all have to pay £20 each if we want to eat and it is BYOB. 
    -We are also strictly instructed to only attend our local party. 
    - We are also instructed to give them money as a gift to help pay for this intercontinental wedding extravaganza as they cannot afford it (of course, this is through honeyfund). 
    - A direct link to their account to "donate" air miles for this.
    - Any "leftover" money will pay for them to extend the tour to more destinations so (in their words) "Give big if you want us to come to your town" as if it was a rock concert.

I then received an update for the portion we were invited to (which was pay your way dinner BBQ from 7-Midnight) that we should come early as the "Bride" will be leaving at 9:00pm since she has to be up early the next day for some silly reason.  Which just made me think: "Lady, if you don't even want to be at your own party, I certainly don't want to be there".
    Wow. Just wow. Do they think they're celebrities? I'd tell them to go ahead and stay the fuck out of my town. I say this one wins! 
  • Options
    My cousin got my name wrong on my invitation. And when I say wrong, I mean a completely different last name, not just spelled wrong.
  • Options
    Kahlyla said:
    * please note that the groom actually contacted me through Facebook (i.e. in writing) to ask for the relevant names and addresses, so had all this information. And yet...

• Last name, they used my husband's although I've kept my own and they KNEW that as per above (I would let it slide otherwise)
    • Registry card included
    • Hand-printed on envelope of response card, all in caps: "SORRY NO CHILDREN ALLOWED"
    • Response card with envelope included, but not addressed or stamped (if people want to go the traditional route with RSVPs I'm cool with that, but don't half-ass it like this, it just makes you look lazy and cheap)

At least they weren't inviting people to the wedding pre-parties who weren't invited to the wedding?  ;)
  • Options
    Two of my friends got text message invitations to a wedding that was three weeks from the text message date in a location 12 hours from where we are.

How thoughtful.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery that reminds me, I got a text from a friend I don't know very well a few months ago. She's having a destination wedding. I never got any sort of STD or invitation or anything. Don't talk to her very often. Then out of the blue I get a mass text that says:

Call this number and tell travel agent you're booking X. It's $1,500 per person or $2,800 per couple. 

I can't afford it since I'm paying for my own wedding, and can't take an entire week off work (the only option she offered is to go for the entire week) because again, my own wedding, which is like 2 months after hers. I just texted back and declined. 

The kicker? She replied "I understand. It's ok, we're having a PPD a few months after!" 
  • Options

beethery that reminds me, I got a text from a friend I don't know very well a few months ago. She's having a destination wedding. I never got any sort of STD or invitation or anything. Don't talk to her very often. Then out of the blue I get a mass text that says:

Call this number and tell travel agent you're booking X. It's $1,500 per person or $2,800 per couple. 

I can't afford it since I'm paying for my own wedding, and can't take an entire week off work (the only option she offered is to go for the entire week) because again, my own wedding, which is like 2 months after hers. I just texted back and declined. 

The kicker? She replied "I understand. It's ok, we're having a PPD a few months after!" 
    Did she actually refer to it as a PPD?

• Options
    Kahlyla said:

• Registry card included

Oh, I DID forget something!

Ceremony was at 11am. Reception was at 5pm. /facepalm
  • Options

Did she actually refer to it as a PPD?
    No, she called it a "bigger wedding, at home" 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards