Snarky Brides
Options

Anti-vaxxers

124»

Re: Anti-vaxxers

• Options
    There are several vaccines adults should receive to protect both themselves and their contacts with weak immune systems (babies, the elderly, chemo patients). Flu - everyone over 6 months of age should receive an annual flu vaccine under the latest CDC recommendations. As H1N1 demonstrated, a flu pandemic is a real possibility, and some, albeit small, percentage of annual flu deaths are in healthy children and adults. Both the inhaled (live attenuated) and injected (inactivated) vaccines are effective against the flu although some people may not be able to receive the inhaled variety (immune compromised, asthmatics, health care workers in certain fields). And no you cannot get the flu from the flu shot. You can get an ache in your arm and a low grade temp. That's your body making antibodies. Tetanus - adults need to get a tetanus booster every 10 years even if you haven't had an injury. If you get a "dirty" wound (rusty nails, puncture wound in the woods) and it's been 5 years since your last vaccine, you'll need a booster sooner. Conveniently it comes bundled with the next vaccine. Pertussis (aka whooping cough) - these recommendations are still changing as we learn more about long term immunity. All adults need at least 1 booster of TdaP. If you had a routine tetanus booster since 2007 (not in the ED/urgent care), you probably had the TdaP version. Many urgent care and EDs are still giving the old Td vaccine. Other recommendations include for women during EACH pregnancy to help pass your antibodies to the baby so they have protection in the 2 months before they get the first vaccine (this is a very new recommendation). Other high target groups would be all those new dads, grandparents, health care workers, teachers, etc with high contact with children. There are some other specialized vaccines for individuals over 65, specifically against shingles and some forms of pneumonia. As a newborn intensive care doc, people who don't want to vaccinate drive me crazy. Especially when they don't want to vaccinate their premature infant who is far more likely to die if they get any of these diseases than the average infant is (which is already incredibly high odds). I know why these people can't find pediatricians for their kids. If you don't trust us when we recommend vaccines with decades of study behind them, how can we build a functional relationship?
    I <3 you.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Thanks for the info, ladies! My kids have a shot coming up, I'll ask then about some boosters for myself.
  • Options
    I have the names of two docs on my desk.  I've seen the lady doc yearly for a while now, but haven't been to a 'regular' doc in ages.  And now I'm scared because I'm going to need boosters in everything.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards