Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Edible glitter/spray paint????

Has anybody planned on using edible glitter or spray paint on their food? I really want to get a gold leaf look on my wedding cake, but can't afford the real stuff. I've seen mixed reviews of people saying it tastes awful, and then others saying it doesn't taste at all and it awesome. 

Re: Edible glitter/spray paint????

• Options
    I haven't used it, but as a guest it wouldn't look all the appealing to me to eat :)
  • Options
    As a guest, I'd be pretty grossed out by it. 

Could you use a gold cake stand and just have a few gold embellishments? Something like:

Or, you could just have them wrap glittery gold ribbon at the base of each layer like this:

Or, you could just do the gold leaf on one layer and have them do other stuff on the rest:
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

The stuff from the brand that starts with a W and available at many craft stores across the country - NASTY NASTY NASTY!!!  Same goes for the fondant carrying he "W" brand.

The stuff from AmeriColor that airbrushes on to the cake - no flavor and all the look but it takes patience to accomplish and layers...  That's what to use... 

DO NOT however use spray paint - it's inedible and could kill or sicken your guests.  If you don't know what you're doing when it comes to what is edible or not for a cake, then you need to leave it to the professionals and stop being afraid of paying them to do their job right the first time.  It'll save you money over trial and error a thousand times and above all else, hiring a professional on this one is worth its weight in gold to not get your guests sick.

• Options
    MesmrEwe said:

The stuff from the brand that starts with a W and available at many craft stores across the country - NASTY NASTY NASTY!!!  Same goes for the fondant carrying he "W" brand.

The stuff from AmeriColor that airbrushes on to the cake - no flavor and all the look but it takes patience to accomplish and layers...  That's what to use... 

DO NOT however use spray paint - it's inedible and could kill or sicken your guests.  If you don't know what you're doing when it comes to what is edible or not for a cake, then you need to leave it to the professionals and stop being afraid of paying them to do their job right the first time.  It'll save you money over trial and error a thousand times and above all else, hiring a professional on this one is worth its weight in gold to not get your guests sick.

I appreciate puns ;) Also I'd definitely make sure to go with something that was meant for consumption - like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KTVFM8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0ANEBZV8A5WQS3E2EGTQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 

Is that what you were talking about when you said "W" though? There are definitely mixed reviews on it and I'd make sure to test it before we used it on anything. 

Also I do have someone making my cake, I'm not trying that on my own!  
  • Options
    I've used all sorts of metallic colorings on food - I'm a hobby baker and I do mostly cookies. The best option is probably an airbrushing of the color. You can get different brands of the can stuff now (including americolor). I'm assuming you don't want to buy an airbrush system and do it yourself that way. That's pretty pricy. You can also get luster dust to paint on, but it's actually not generally labeled "edible" rather it's generally "nontoxic." Some people still eat it, but some are not inclined to do so.
  • Options
    MesmrEwe said:

hiring a professional on this one is worth its weight in gold

I appreciate puns ;) Also I'd definitely make sure to go with something that was meant for consumption - like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KTVFM8/ref=s9_simh_gw_p79_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0ANEBZV8A5WQS3E2EGTQ&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846 

Is that what you were talking about when you said "W" though? There are definitely mixed reviews on it and I'd make sure to test it before we used it on anything. 

Also I do have someone making my cake, I'm not trying that on my own!  

Yes - that brand!  BLECK!!!  Nasty nasty gross!  It's also a PITA to work with (we used it for a class I took - could NOT for anything get the color to turn out correct and the flavor after taste was horrible. 

• Options
    jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    Is the person making your cake a professional baker/decorator?

Because honestly, I would go with something like the gold ribbon photo if the answer to the above is no, because these types of products have a tendency to look really awful and tacky when done by an amateur baker with an unpracticed hand at it.  Heck, I've seen allegedly professional bakers screw it up horribly.  For some reason metallics and darker colors (black, navy, etc.) have the tendency to go horribly wrong unless the decorator is extremely skilled.    And those color mist products - I've never seen them come out evenly colored - they look horrible.

Could you use gold ribbon or say some combination of gold "accessories" (cake topper, tablecloth or runner, cake plate, cake knife, etc.) to achieve the gold feeling you want instead?

ETA:  I just came from a shower where the cake was done by a bakery with airbrushing (the same technique those color mists are trying to recreate) - man, that was an ugly cake.  The color was uneven/patchy and made what could have been a very adorable cake look amateur.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards