Honeymoon Discussions

Are you taking your engagement ring with you on your honeymoon?

2»

Re: Are you taking your engagement ring with you on your honeymoon?

• I do not have a big or flashy ring, but I did not take it on my HM. We didn't go anywhere dangerous but I think I was more afraid I would leave it somewhere or stupidly lose it. Since it was our HM I did want to wear something on my finger, and I bought a cheap band on Amazon. I totally regret not taking it. Everyone we met wanted to see my ring when they heard we were on our HM, and I got some funny looks when I said I didn't bring it. Plus it fits properly, it's insured, and I love it. Bring your ring.
  • I'm leaving mine at home. I plan on swimming a lot and I was always told not to wear it while swimming, because your fingers shrink and it could fall off. I am used to swimming in very cold water, however. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I left my engagement ring at home in the safe for our honeymoon to Italy.  I figured I'd rather not have a flashy piece of jewelry to attract attention while traveling in a country where I already don't speak the language.

As for fake rings, I wear a sterling silver band at work.  I have to take off all jewelry below my elbows during patient contact so I'd be afraid of losing the real one.  My ring is off and on several times a day.  That said I do like to wear a ring during the parts of my day not involving patients.

• My in-laws were shocked that i wore my engagement ring (which also "cost more than my car" as a PP said) on our honeymoon in South Africa.  We were not in bad areas, and it was completely safe, and completely insured.  But my sister-in-law went to South America on her honeymoon and left her ring at home.  They were in less safe areas.  She just wore her wedding band.

I swim in my ring (usually because i'm afraid if i take it off before jumping in the water i'll lose it).  The only time i remove my rings are to shower and wash the dishes (soap scum isn't great for the clenliness of the diamond), when i clean it, when i run because it flops around too much (i leave my wedding band on), when i go rock climbing (i usually zip it into the back pocket of my pants), and once i left it in my hotel in Hong Kong because i was going to be haggling at a street market, and i didn't want the vendors to see me wearing expensive jewelry and try to screw me on prices. :-)

i don't really see the point of having a fake e-ring once you're married...if you really want to leave the e-ring at home, just wear your band on the honeymoon.  a lot of people don't even wear their e-rings regularly, or never got an e-ring.  a wedding band still signifies that you are married, and they are typically a lot less expensive than e-rings are.  whenever i get pregnant, if my fingers swell too much to wear either of my rings, i may get a fake one (or wear my grandmother's wedding band, which is currently sized so large it only fits on my middle finger, on my ring finger instead).

Anyway, if you really want to wear it and are traveling to safe areas, just insure it and wear it.  Otherwise leave it home and just travel with your wedding band.  When i selected a wedding band, i specifically chose one that looks good by itself as well as with my e-ring...because i suspect there will be times when i'll only want to wear one ring.  and that is fine.

• I left my ring at home on my HM. Several reasons.

1, I was getting both soldered together, and being gone for 3 weeks just seemed like a good time to do it.

2. We went to Egypt, Turkey and those are not countries where I'm comfortable flashing expensive things. My ring cost more than I think DH should have spent. I have worn it to Europe, Mexico, the US, so it was more of a comfort lever in different countries. I wore a "fake" ring, co sI liked the feeling of the ring. I did have a random guy grab my hand in the McDonalds ice cream line on the street in Turkey to see my ring. I was not cool with that and was glad it was a smaller ring.

3. I don't actually wear jewellery, aside from my ring and stud earrings. It took me a year to get used to wearing the ring, but I'm always knocking it, bashing it and generally being not nice to it. I didn't want to worry about it on the HM. The only time I've knocked the centre stone loose actually was while travelling back from Florida.

I know it's not a popular opinion here, but it was what I was comfortable with and that's enough for me. I would never wear it in the ocean by the way. I'm too paranoid, and there's significance for me in the DH proposed with it and we got married with this band.

• I was really nervous about wearing mine on my honeymoon too. For every reason listed here and more. But the day after my wedding, the last thing I wanted to do was take those rings off. Turned out my fingers swelled up so much in the Spanish humidity I could barely get them off anyway! Wore them swimming in the Mediterranean, on the subway, everywhere. No problems whatsoever.

• Of course I will take it and wear it!! The only place I won't is at the beach (ocean) or pool...in which case, I'll leave it in the hotel room safe.
  • This conversation is baffling to me.  Jewelry is meant to be worn and enjoyed.  Make sure your rings fit (they should be snug - not uncomfortably so, but they shouldn't spin freely on your finger), insure them, and wear them.
  • For those times I don't want to wear my engagement ring (traveling to poor locations or camping & getting dirty), I wear a band.  I bought it on Amazon for about $35 and it's a solid titanium ring.  Since my ring is insured, I'm not so worried about losing it, but rather about getting robbed, being perceived as having $$ and taken as a tourist, or having it get caught on something in the great outdoors and tearing my finger off.  Probably all unlikely, but the peace of mind it offers is worth it.
  • I left my engagement ring at home. It's an opal and since it's such a sensitive stone, I often have to remove the ring. It was safer in it's box at home. 
  • jenijoyk said:
    But I still wear it almost all the time. I don't put it away, only to bring it out on special occasions. With the exception of vacations, I take it off probably once or twice a month. That's still 29-30 days out of the month where I wear it.

And if you bought a Birken bag, would you really take it to the beach? I wouldn't. 

This is an apples and oranges comparison. When you take a purse to the beach you have to set it down when you go in the water or lay on your towel. Your e-ring stays on your finger during all activities so its cant get lost or stolen. So your comparison doesnt really work.

Do you think your ring is going to magically slide off your finger on your HM? Or that you cant get mugged at in the USA? Your ring can break or get stolen anywhere. This is the whole point of insurance.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • shaker227shaker227 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited October 2014
    KatWAG said:

jenijoyk said:

But I still wear it almost all the time. I don't put it away, only to bring it out on special occasions. With the exception of vacations, I take it off probably once or twice a month. That's still 29-30 days out of the month where I wear it.

And if you bought a Birken bag, would you really take it to the beach? I wouldn't. 

This is an apples and oranges comparison. When you take a purse to the beach you have to set it down when you go in the water or lay on your towel. Your e-ring stays on your finger during all activities so its cant get lost or stolen. So your comparison doesnt really work.

Do you think your ring is going to magically slide off your finger on your HM? Or that you cant get mugged at in the USA? Your ring can break or get stolen anywhere. This is the whole point of insurance.

No box:

I don't want sand in my super expensive bag OR lodged in my engagement ring. That crap gets everywhere.
  • I plan on wearing my e-ring and band when we go to sandals in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. My ring was originally supposed to be sized to an 8.25 but the store messed up and sized it to an 8.5 so we sized it down to an 8, and my band is already sized down to an 8. Just today, I sent my e-ring back in to be sized down even smaller to a 7.5.

I swim in my e-ring already at the pool, wear it in the shower, the only time I take it off is to deal with uncooked meat and to sleep. I'd rather my rings be on my fingers and I know where they are than in a vacant house while we are on our HM.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah it never even occurred to me to not wear either my engagement or wedding ring. There's no way I'd take these suckers off and leave them at home.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • My DH and I went to Hawaii (Kauai) for our honeymoon. I wore my engagement ring most of the time, but when we were in the ocean or doing other water activities (if you're going to Kauai you MUST tube down the sugar cane irrigation ditches).

When I didn't wear it, it was locked in the room safe and I just wore my wedding band (a plain white gold band).

My husband was more nervous about losing his ring, but he was covered - he wanted a tungsten carbide ring....he actually owns four bands - all different and brought two with him (90% of the time he wears the same ring)
  • To echo what many others are saying, I think as long as it fits properly, go for it! It's your honeymoon :)
  • The only times I take mine off are for cooking, cleaning, and working out (because my fingers swell).
  • My wedding band is my travel ring and I generally do not take my e-ring when we travel. My rings aren't soldered for that reason.

I'm pretty sure I took my e-ring on our honeymoon, though. Either way it's just preference. Nothing wrong with either decision.
    *********************************************************************************

• I wear my rings 90% of the time, including on my honeymoon. I left it in the safe on outdoor excursions (no need for it while ziplining or ATV'ing, etc.). I also left in in the safe when traveling off the resort at night and while snorkeling bc growing up in FL was always told that shiny/metallic/blingy things attract barracuda, and they're kind of unpleasant. Any avid snorkelers/divers know if that's really true? @lyndausvi maybe?

Otherwise, it's insured and makes me happy so I wear the shit out of it. 
  • I've never witnessed a barracuda attack and we saw them pretty regularly on snorkel trips.  IME barracudas are more scared of you.  They will check you out, but not attack you.    

I also snorkeled in very clear water. You could see over 100 feet in front of you certain times of the year.  But the average was 40 feet or so.  So a barracuda can clearly see you are not prey.    I've heard that in murky waters a shiny object can be mistaken for prey.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • H and I snorkled in Key West for our HM.  I wore my rings and a bathing suit with shiny gold accents on it.  Not until I was out of the water did H tell me that barracudas were supposedly attracted to shiny objects.  There were a few in the water and none even came close to attacking me.  But like Lynda said, the water we were in was super clear so it was obvious we were not prey.

• As many times as I've been told about the barracuda/shiny objects thing, I've never met anyone missing a finger (and their e-ring) from a run-in with an aggressive fish. I've definitely hopped in the ocean with jewelry on not thinking about it though. I think I'm going to stop concerning myself with this in the future when snorkeling. Seems like an unnecessary concern in retrospect where clear water is concerned.
  • I brought my e-ring with on my HM.  We did a cruise with stops in Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.  I never took my e-ring off during the trip, and we went snorkeling, swam with sting rays and touched them, spent time at the beach, etc.  I never had any problems.  I wasn't building sand castles, but I didn't keep my hands out of the sand either.  Nothing got stuck in my ring, and it has holes, and indentations in the design where things can get trapped.  We are going on another cruise next year, and my e-ring will come with me then too. 
  • hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited October 2014
    I always leave mine at home whn we travel overseas or to water locations. I did wear a simple ring on my right hand for the ceremony and sometimes were that for trips. I call it my throw down ring. So it has meaning but is not expensive.
  • For those that are wearing fake rings.  Can I ask why you wear them?  Is it so those around you know that you are married?  Or are you just not comfortable having an empty finger?  Or is it because you don't want your real ring stolen.  I mean if I am going to rob/mug you how will I know that the ring is fake before hand?  I won't, so you will still get mugged, possibly hurt, no matter if you are wearing your real ring or not.  Yeah, I know that means your real ring is still safe but that is what insurance is for.

I just feel that your SO bought you this ring for you to wear so I can't really see a reason not to wear it.  It would be like buying a car but then not driving it because you are afraid to get into an accident.  Or buying a Birkin bag but never carrying because you don't want anything to happen to it.
    If I'm doing manual work or "rough" physical activities, I wear a silver band that my fiance and I picked out for that purpose. I proposed the idea because (a) I don't want to unduly damage my e-ring and (b) the diamond gets in the way when I'm doing certain activities. 

I choose to wear that rather than have an empty finger because wearing a ring is a symbol of my commitment and that commitment is a significant part of who I am.

• For those that are wearing fake rings.  Can I ask why you wear them?  Is it so those around you know that you are married?  Or are you just not comfortable having an empty finger?  Or is it because you don't want your real ring stolen.  I mean if I am going to rob/mug you how will I know that the ring is fake before hand?  I won't, so you will still get mugged, possibly hurt, no matter if you are wearing your real ring or not.  Yeah, I know that means your real ring is still safe but that is what insurance is for.

I just feel that your SO bought you this ring for you to wear so I can't really see a reason not to wear it.  It would be like buying a car but then not driving it because you are afraid to get into an accident.  Or buying a Birkin bag but never carrying because you don't want anything to happen to it.
    If I'm doing manual work or "rough" physical activities, I wear a silver band that my fiance and I picked out for that purpose. I proposed the idea because (a) I don't want to unduly damage my e-ring and (b) the diamond gets in the way when I'm doing certain activities. 

I choose to wear that rather than have an empty finger because wearing a ring is a symbol of my commitment and that commitment is a significant part of who I am.

Even when I don't have my ring on my finger, the commitment I made on my wedding day is still a very large part of me.  I don't need a piece of metal to remind me of that.  But when I do want to wear my ring then I would prefer to wear the one that my H gave to me when he proposed and the one that he slipped on my finger during our ceremony.  Those are the rings that have meaning. Putting on another random ring does not hold the same meaning.

• I wear my ring 90 % of the time. I do not wear it while showering, doing yard work, or anything that could potentially get it dirty. 

I have ring dishes pretty much everywhere in my house, that I will put the ring while I'm not wearing it so I can know where it is.  There's one beside the bed, the hall table, next to the sink etc.

I understand where you are coming from with not wanting to take it on your honeymoon, but I personally couldn't see myself doing that.  I think if you are careful with it then you should be fine.  I don't feel like there's a right or wrong answer here, it's just more of a personal preference. 

• I rarely take mine off, when I do it feels weird because I am so use to it being on my finger.  We haven't taken a honeymoon yet (married in May, still no idea where we are going to go) but the thought of leaving it home has never crossed my mind.  I have traveled since getting it and wore it everytime.   There has been occassions that I may not feel completely safe with where I am and have turned it around or kept my hand covered as to not get anyone's attention, but I do not plan on traveling to an unsafe area for our honeymoon and won't be alone. If something where to happen to it ever, it's insured.  

My husband on the other hand..rarely wears his!  He gets his hands dirty (to say the least) with working so he doesnt wear it durning the week.  He'll wear it on weekends or if we go out somewhere but is constantly playing iwth it, taking it off, etc, because he is so not use to wearing a ring.  

• shaker227 said:
    jenijoyk said:

No box: I don't want sand in my super expensive bag OR lodged in my engagement ring. That crap gets everywhere.

My engagement ring has now been on 4 fingers (great-grandma, grandma, mom, and now me), and we have all worn it to the beach.  As long as the stone is properly secured to the band, you should be fine :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards