Chit Chat

Well, this is embarrassing...(dress issues)

So, I went to my first dress fitting the other day.  I bought my dress back in January at a bridal show and it fit like a glove (and it was a steal!).  Literally, if I gained 5 lbs. it would be too tight.  Well, over the course of the spring I gained about 30 lbs.  Big uh oh.  However, I lost a good chunk of that towards the end of the summer/early fall.  I'd been kind of nervous that my dress would be too tight, but I couldn't delay the dress fitting any longer (wedding's Jan. 3).

Yeah, the dress was too tight.  Like, it zipped about 3/4 of the way up.  So now, I have about 1 month to fit back into it.  Otherwise, the seamstress is going to have to "see" if she can let out the seams.  As in, she may not be able to.  Needless to say, I HAVE to lose the weight.  The good news is, I really think it'll fit if I lose 10-15 lbs, which I think I can do in the next month. 

I think I just posted this to ask for prayers that I will fit into the dress lol.  Also, if anyone has any similar stories, feel free to share so that I don't have to feel fat alone.

Re: Well, this is embarrassing...(dress issues)

• So, I went to my first dress fitting the other day.  I bought my dress back in January at a bridal show and it fit like a glove (and it was a steal!).  Literally, if I gained 5 lbs. it would be too tight.  Well, over the course of the spring I gained about 30 lbs.  Big uh oh.  However, I lost a good chunk of that towards the end of the summer/early fall.  I'd been kind of nervous that my dress would be too tight, but I couldn't delay the dress fitting any longer (wedding's Jan. 3).

Yeah, the dress was too tight.  Like, it zipped about 3/4 of the way up.  So now, I have about 1 month to fit back into it.  Otherwise, the seamstress is going to have to "see" if she can let out the seams.  As in, she may not be able to.  Needless to say, I HAVE to lose the weight.  The good news is, I really think it'll fit if I lose 10-15 lbs, which I think I can do in the next month. 

I think I just posted this to ask for prayers that I will fit into the dress lol.  Also, if anyone has any similar stories, feel free to share so that I don't have to feel fat alone.
    Can they put a corset back instead of the zipper? 
    Maybe?  Idk honestly.  The seamstress didn't give that as an option.   I'm hoping I won't have to find out, ultimately.
  • Honestly, I'd see what can be done NOW about the dress. You might not lose the weight. You might gain weight. It happened to me with a bridesmaid dress. I wouldn't bank on losing the weight.
  • 10 - 15 lbs is a lot to lose in one month. Unless you are really lucky and weight is easy for you to lose you will have to be super dedicated to diet and exercise to lose that much in a month. 

That said, it CAN be done. It won't be easy though. Good luck!

• GOOD LUCK! I had the same issue... I gained since getting my dress.
    They had to put a corset back in.

There is still hope if it doesn't fit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Good luck! I do not have the will power to do it because I love all the foods.
    Anniversary

• I hope with all my heart that you lose the extra weight to fit in the dress but as others have suggested, do figure out a plan B just in case you cannot fit into it the day of. I know it's sad and extra work but maybe try having a second dress just on the side? If you find something off the rack or not exactly from a bridal shop, it doesn't have to be expensive? Just thinking about it would make my heart break but at this point I would rather have another dress just in case the first one doesn't fit for whatever reason the day of!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yikes! 10-15 is a lot in a month. I think you should see what else they can do for the dress in the meantime.
  • Definitely find a middle ground! That's a lot in a month, and being stressed about losing weight will only make it harder. My dress was let out 2 full sizes in the hips. The designer's sizing chart should tell them how much extra they built into the seams to be let out - ask them what this is and maybe you'll be OK only losing 5 and letting something out, or 0 and having a corset back, etc.

• Find out how likely it is that the dress can be altered to fit you before you go altering yourself to fit the dress. 
  • I didn't lose 15 lbs in a month even when I was 100 lbs overweight. The closer you are to a "normal" weight, the harder it is to lose big amounts at a time. You can drop a lot when you first start, but that is mostly water weight. Since you have been losing for a while, it is going to be harder to keep up the same momentum.

Also, at what point during your cycle is your wedding? I ask only because of what happened to me. I gained 10 lbs in bloat the week before my wedding thanks to Aunt Flo. I have NEVER gained that much due to bloat before. It finally started going away 4 days before the wedding.

If there is any chance your cycle could cause issues, you need to find out your options on alterations and plan ahead now. I highly recommend doing that anyway as PPs have said. You don't want to be miserable for the months leading up to your wedding.
  • I didn't lose 15 lbs in a month even when I was 100 lbs overweight. The closer you are to a "normal" weight, the harder it is to lose big amounts at a time. You can drop a lot when you first start, but that is mostly water weight. Since you have been losing for a while, it is going to be harder to keep up the same momentum. Also, at what point during your cycle is your wedding? I ask only because of what happened to me. I gained 10 lbs in bloat the week before my wedding thanks to Aunt Flo. I have NEVER gained that much due to bloat before. It finally started going away 4 days before the wedding. If there is any chance your cycle could cause issues, you need to find out your options on alterations and plan ahead now. I highly recommend doing that anyway as PPs have said. You don't want to be miserable for the months leading up to your wedding.
    This! I don't know what size you are, but even a lot of the women on the Biggest Loser only 15 pound in the first month. Seriously not trying to be a debbie downer but that is a really big goal that would basically require starving. And that's not fun in the exciting time leading up to your wedding. You'll have parties and holidays and you're really going to sit to the side eating carrot sticks at those events? Doesn't seem worth the stress, definitely see what they can do to let it out asap.  

• I agree that 10-15 pounds is a lot of weight to lose in just one month. The last month before my wedding, I was working out 4-5 times per week and eating a very strict diet, and I only lost another 5 pounds. 
  • Can you still continue with your weight loss efforts while getting a corset back put in?  That way, you lose the weight while having the reassurance that the corset back is there in case it is required.  

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• lc07 said:
    Honestly, I'd see what can be done NOW about the dress. You might not lose the weight. You might gain weight. It happened to me with a bridesmaid dress. I wouldn't bank on losing the weight.
    So much this!

Losing 10-15 pounds in one month is pretty darn difficult especially, if not impossible, if you are close to a "normal" weight for your height.  I would be working with your seamstress about figuring out what you can do now to fix the dress so that it fits you as you are now rather then hoping that you will lose the weight and be able to fit into it later.

I second (or third or fourth) the suggestion about seeing if a corset can be added.

• I would absolutely see if they can let the dress out *now.* At my first fitting, my dress just barely fit and was incredibly tight. You could basically see the outline of belly button through the dress, it was that tight.

My seamstress immediately said that she would let the dress out a half inch on either side. Seamstresses and most people in the wedding dress business don't want you relying on the hope of losing weight, they would rather just work the reality of what they have. And honestly, I'm glad that she did. I swore to her up and down that I would lose the weight and guess what? I never did! Not at all saying that you won't, of course. Just saying- why leave it to chance?
    imageimage">
  • That is a lot of weight to lose in a month. Before my wedding I was eating carefully and working out 5 days a week. On average I lost 1 pound a week, sometimes 2. It took me 3 months to lose 13 to 15 pounds. Don't rely on losing the weight, talk to the seamstress.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • That is a lot of weight to lose in a month. Before my wedding I was eating carefully and working out 5 days a week. On average I lost 1 pound a week, sometimes 2. It took me 3 months to lose 13 to 15 pounds. Don't rely on losing the weight, talk to the seamstress.
    Agree with this.  There's safe weight loss and then there's unsafe weightloss.  You do not want to make yourself feel worse in an attempt to do something for your well-being.  Definitely get started on a plan B.  A corset back would be a good option; if your seamstress can't or isn't comfortable making that type of alteration, you may need to look around a bit.

Also, you may want to factor in the holidays coming up.  Holiday plans and activities can interrupt a work out schedule, gyms can be closed or operate on limited hours, fitness classes or trainers may not be available as you'd planned.

I hope you can lose the weight you want, but I agree that it would ultimately be better (and healthier) for shoot for a 5-8 pound weight loss and alter your dress based on that.  Good luck!
    Anniversary

• Realistically speaking, I don't really see how it would be possible to lose 15 pounds in a month the healthy way. I also suggest trying to see if there is any possible way to have a corset added or let the dress out to fit your size as you are now. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• JaxInBlue said:
    That is a lot of weight to lose in a month. Before my wedding I was eating carefully and working out 5 days a week. On average I lost 1 pound a week, sometimes 2. It took me 3 months to lose 13 to 15 pounds. Don't rely on losing the weight, talk to the seamstress.
    Agree with this.  There's safe weight loss and then there's unsafe weightloss.  You do not want to make yourself feel worse in an attempt to do something for your well-being.  Definitely get started on a plan B.  A corset back would be a good option; if your seamstress can't or isn't comfortable making that type of alteration, you may need to look around a bit.

Also, you may want to factor in the holidays coming up.  Holiday plans and activities can interrupt a work out schedule, gyms can be closed or operate on limited hours, fitness classes or trainers may not be available as you'd planned.

I hope you can lose the weight you want, but I agree that it would ultimately be better (and healthier) for shoot for a 5-8 pound weight loss and alter your dress based on that.  Good luck!
    Ditto this.  Safe weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week.  5 pounds per week is unhealthy and can have detrimental effects on your health in the long run.  Getting the dress altered is the best option.  Best of luck! 

• I didn't lose 15 lbs in a month even when I was 100 lbs overweight. The closer you are to a "normal" weight, the harder it is to lose big amounts at a time. You can drop a lot when you first start, but that is mostly water weight. Since you have been losing for a while, it is going to be harder to keep up the same momentum. Also, at what point during your cycle is your wedding? I ask only because of what happened to me. I gained 10 lbs in bloat the week before my wedding thanks to Aunt Flo. I have NEVER gained that much due to bloat before. It finally started going away 4 days before the wedding. If there is any chance your cycle could cause issues, you need to find out your options on alterations and plan ahead now. I highly recommend doing that anyway as PPs have said. You don't want to be miserable for the months leading up to your wedding.
    I wanted to address your question b/c I think it will help put my ideas on weight loss into perspective.  I was on Day 1 of my period when I had my dress fitting.  I normally gain between 4-5 lbs of water weight around this time (and feel even bigger than that).  I weighed today and that's already gone, plus an extra pound.  Luckily, my wedding should be nowhere near my period, assuming I don't freak out hormonally or something. 

I definitely appreciate the concerns about losing weight healthfully and keeping a realistic attitude.  I probably shouldn't have arbitrarily thrown out numbers, b/c I honestly don't know how much weight I'd need to lose to fit into the dress.  Yes, 15 lbs in one month is a LOT, but like I said, the dress zipped *most* of the way up.  I may not need to lose that much.  Also, I'm focusing on losing inches rather than pounds.  I'm doing Jillian MIchaels' 30 day shred, which I've done in the past and lost a lot of inches very quickly.  I'm hoping this will help.  I do think it's possible to lose a dress size in a month, particularly if one is exercising and shaping the body.  I"m definitely not going to starve myself, don't worry :)

I think I will call the seamstress and see if the corset is an option.  She seemed to think she would do anything necessary to fix the dress once I go back for the second fitting, so I'm assuming if any alterations are necessary, she would do them then.  If she says we could do that, then at least I'll have a back-up plan.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)
  • I bought my wedding dress last fall and my wedding is next week. I yo-yo'd a lot this year with starting new WR diet and exercise plans and stress eating. I was incredibly nervous about my first fitting. My dress zipped up part of the way, but not all the way. My seamstress said I could try to lose the weight or I could go ahead and do the corset. She said she has seen a lot of brides try to lose weight last minute and that she personally feels we don't need the extra stress. I opted to go ahead and do the corset and try to lose weight as well. I'm really glad that I did. The last couple weeks have been so crazy that I've had a really hard time exercising as much as I should and I've definitely had some moments of weakness with stress eating. I'm glad to know that no matter what my dress will fit.

That being said, I was doing the 21 Day Fix this summer, and had realllllly good results. My first round I think I lost around 12lbs and 18 inches, and I was eating so much! It's definitely worth looking into if you want to try to accomplish the weight loss.

• I lost 15 lbs in 5 weeks due to my lap band health issues. At the end of the 5 weeks I literally passed out in the shower due to being malnourished. I'm now looking at having to have this removed. I can't keep very much solid food down, am on a pretty much liquid diet, and it sucks. 15 lbs in 4 weeks is not healthy. Like PP's have said, have a plan B just in case. 
  • 10-15 pounds is alot in one month. And can be unhealthy. The faster you lose a large chunk of weight, the quicker you gain it back. Stress can make it even harder, and weddings can be stressful. I would find a fix now.
    Anniversary
    I wanted to address your question b/c I think it will help put my ideas on weight loss into perspective.  I was on Day 1 of my period when I had my dress fitting.  I normally gain between 4-5 lbs of water weight around this time (and feel even bigger than that).  I weighed today and that's already gone, plus an extra pound.  Luckily, my wedding should be nowhere near my period, assuming I don't freak out hormonally or something. 

I definitely appreciate the concerns about losing weight healthfully and keeping a realistic attitude.  I probably shouldn't have arbitrarily thrown out numbers, b/c I honestly don't know how much weight I'd need to lose to fit into the dress.  Yes, 15 lbs in one month is a LOT, but like I said, the dress zipped *most* of the way up.  I may not need to lose that much.  Also, I'm focusing on losing inches rather than pounds.  I'm doing Jillian MIchaels' 30 day shred, which I've done in the past and lost a lot of inches very quickly.  I'm hoping this will help.  I do think it's possible to lose a dress size in a month, particularly if one is exercising and shaping the body.  I"m definitely not going to starve myself, don't worry :)

I think I will call the seamstress and see if the corset is an option.  She seemed to think she would do anything necessary to fix the dress once I go back for the second fitting, so I'm assuming if any alterations are necessary, she would do them then.  If she says we could do that, then at least I'll have a back-up plan.

This mindset makes me nervous for you. You cannot spot fat-reduce. It's not possible (except with lipo). The quick inches lost were likely water weight, which it sounds like you've already lost. I'm glad your seamstress is being so accommodating because if you were counting on spot reducing more inches from just your zipper area with these workouts, you'd likely be pretty disappointed.

• The only way I can think you could lose that much in a month would be a seriously low carbohydrate diet. which cant be tough to maintain. I personally stick to a lower carb diet since my digestive system has issues with dairy and grains but it doesn't work for everyone. I would think you would have to stick 20g or less a day to achieve the weight loss you want, but you would have to be very careful to not gain that back right away!
  • mrs4everhartmrs4everhart member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited October 2014
    Body weight and size are two different things. Muscle takes up less room but weighs more than fat. Talk with your seamstress now to find out exactly how many inches she has in the inseam of the dress to let it out as far as she can. She can look at that now, it's not a timing issue. Also, and this will have a lot to do with the intricacy of the dress but why do you only have a month if your wedding isn't until January? Are you willing to talk to other seamstresses who are willing to complete the work closer to your wedding date? Once you've figured those things out how disciplined are you and how willing are you to fly by the seat of your pants with a Plan B? I bought my dress this past January online for 50% off from a woman with dress regret. It was the only way I could afford my dream dress. I was a street size 8/10 at the time. My dress is a (wedding dress) size 6. The day it arrived I tried it on and zipping wasn't an option. I had A LOT of work to do. I've never been so stressed about my weight ever. I worked with an amazing seamstress who thought I was crazy but she was willing to go the distance with me. I got myself to it damn near fitting by the first week of August. (Our wedding was the 13th of September). She let out what little inseam there was (about 1/2 inch total) and I kicked my workouts into an even higher gear. I picked my dress up the last week of August and still had another 5 pounds to go. I was scared as hell and was seriously contemplating what the hell I was going to do. I would be out about $900 and have a dress tailored to me, not even able to sell. But long story short, I did it. It fit like a glove on our wedding day. This is not typical and fucking terrifying. But if you are crazy determined and you can get your seamstress on the same page, it's possible. But you need more time than a month. Truly, best of luck. It's stressful no doubt, but use that to your advantage. ETA: I give up. Paragraphs just don't happen for me on this site anymore.
  • Body weight and size are two different things. Muscle takes up less room but weighs more than fat. Talk with your seamstress now to find out exactly how many inches she has in the inseam of the dress to let it out as far as she can. She can look at that now, it's not a timing issue. Also, and this will have a lot to do with the intricacy of the dress but why do you only have a month if your wedding isn't until January? Are you willing to talk to other seamstresses who are willing to complete the work closer to your wedding date? Once you've figured those things out how disciplined are you and how willing are you to fly by the seat of your pants with a Plan B? I bought my dress this past January online for 50% off from a woman with dress regret. It was the only way I could afford my dream dress. I was a street size 8/10 at the time. My dress is a (wedding dress) size 6. The day it arrived I tried it on and zipping wasn't an option. I had A LOT of work to do. I've never been so stressed about my weight ever. I worked with an amazing seamstress who thought I was crazy but she was willing to go the distance with me. I got myself to it damn near fitting by the first week of August. (Our wedding was the 13th of September). She let out what little inseam there was (about 1/2 inch total) and I kicked my workouts into an even higher gear. I picked my dress up the last week of August and still had another 5 pounds to go. I was scared as hell and was seriously contemplating what the hell I was going to do. I would be out about $900 and have a dress tailored to me, not even able to sell. But long story short, I did it. It fit like a glove on our wedding day. This is not typical and fucking terrifying. But if you are crazy determined and you can get your seamstress on the same page, it's possible. But you need more time than a month. Truly, best of luck. It's stressful no doubt, but use that to your advantage. ETA: I give up. Paragraphs just don't happen for me on this site anymore.
    I think she mentioned 1 month b/c she's waiting to do most of the alterations after I come back, hopefully having lost some inches.  My appointment is on Nov. 10th, at which we'll figure out if we still need to fix the dress.  Then, she'll have a little over a month to do whatever to it.  I'll have another fitting in Dec. and make sure it's perfect, at which point she can fix anything necessary.  There are other alterations to the dress other than making it fit, so I'm assuming she just wants time to do everything.  I'm not too worried about the timing of it.
  • The only way I can think you could lose that much in a month would be a seriously low carbohydrate diet. which cant be tough to maintain. I personally stick to a lower carb diet since my digestive system has issues with dairy and grains but it doesn't work for everyone. I would think you would have to stick 20g or less a day to achieve the weight loss you want, but you would have to be very careful to not gain that back right away!
    I'm actually doing a "lower carb" diet, because I tend to lose weight faster this way (PCOS problems).  However, I'm not going super low.  I'm doing between 50-100 carbs per day, along with counting calories.  Mostly, it just helps me avoid crap that I crave like bread, pizza, etc.

This mindset makes me nervous for you. You cannot spot fat-reduce. It's not possible (except with lipo). The quick inches lost were likely water weight, which it sounds like you've already lost. I'm glad your seamstress is being so accommodating because if you were counting on spot reducing more inches from just your zipper area with these workouts, you'd likely be pretty disappointed.
    Oh, I know.  I mostly just meant that I know personally I tend to lose more inches and see bigger changes in how my clothes fit if I'm doing a strength/toning type exercise program.  I do know the program works for me beyond water weight, though.  I only lost about 2 lbs. the entire time I was doing it, however I lost at least 1 dress size in about 20 days.

Key point is, I'm not arguing that it will be hard.  I definitely agree with everyone on that front.  However, I  know my body well enough to know that it can be done if I commit myself to it every day.  And, worse case scenario, I'll either do a corset or let the seams out a tad. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards