Snarky Brides

Daenarys Adeline.

Re: Daenarys Adeline.

• FI's niece is named Felany. Beautiful girl, tragic name. 
    Why? WHY? "Oh, we just thought 'Felany' was so pretty." Bullshit. Sorry, but why do people do this to their kids?
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915 that is EXACTLY what was said. No joke. There's also a Freyja and Xander. Freyja is Fel and Xander's cousin. Beautiful little children, but I'm worried about middle school for them. Kids are so mean. 
  • allispain said:
    jenajjthr said:
    sarahufl said:
    HAHAH no. Just no. I've joked with my FH about naming our son (if we have one) Bruce Wayne as were both batman fans. We'd never do it. Like someone else said pop culture names are for pets. Our two cats names are Ra's Al Ghul and Crookshanks :)
    I like the name Luke, but H keeps vetoing it for a boy because he claims people will think we are obsessed with Star Wars.

Um, this is not 1977 and Luke is not a trendy name.
    Ooohhh, I have a student named Lukas this year...goes by Luke, never even occurred to me (I'm 40) to associate it with Star Wars! Is that a win for you?
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider "Luke" being a specific Star Wars reference either. It's never been an uncommon name, in my opinion.

Now, if you had twins and named them Luke and Leia or something like that, then yes, I would get the reference.
    Well, that would just be ridiculous! Although I loooooove the name Lorelai for a girl, and THAT would be a no-no (Luke and Lorelai). I don't even like Star Wars that much. But, hello, the Bible used it first!
  • sarahufl said:
    allispain said:
    jenajjthr said:
    sarahufl said:
    HAHAH no. Just no. I've joked with my FH about naming our son (if we have one) Bruce Wayne as were both batman fans. We'd never do it. Like someone else said pop culture names are for pets. Our two cats names are Ra's Al Ghul and Crookshanks :)
    I like the name Luke, but H keeps vetoing it for a boy because he claims people will think we are obsessed with Star Wars.

Um, this is not 1977 and Luke is not a trendy name.
    Ooohhh, I have a student named Lukas this year...goes by Luke, never even occurred to me (I'm 40) to associate it with Star Wars! Is that a win for you?
    Yeah, I wouldn't consider "Luke" being a specific Star Wars reference either. It's never been an uncommon name, in my opinion.

Now, if you had twins and named them Luke and Leia or something like that, then yes, I would get the reference.
    Well, that would just be ridiculous! Although I loooooove the name Lorelai for a girl, and THAT would be a no-no (Luke and Lorelai). I don't even like Star Wars that much. But, hello, the Bible used it first!
    What, you don't want Gilmore Girl themed names for your children? Whyever not? :-)
  • @lolo883...there is a Zzyxx Rd. exit on I-15 in CA.  It's in the middle of NOWHERE...desert all around.  One will see it if they are driving from SoCal going to Vegas.  CSU Fullerton has some kind of facility off that exit, though you can't see it from the freeway.  I can only guess that is where those parents saw that word, lol.
    There is a Stone Sour song named Zzyzx Rd, could also be where the parents found it. 
  • @southernbelle0915 that is EXACTLY what was said. No joke. There's also a Freyja and Xander. Freyja is Fel and Xander's cousin. Beautiful little children, but I'm worried about middle school for them. Kids are so mean. 
    Felany is definitely weird, but both Xander and Freyja (normally with the spelling Freya, admittedly) are really quite common in Britain, so I wouldn't so much as blink at either name.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I believe Hermoine is much more popular in the UK but unheard of over here. Kinda like Gemma and Flora. I knew so many people in England with those names, but had never heard of them before.

I have taught a Courage (boy) and Comfort (girl) in the past (bother and sister). They were from Africa before moving here. I can't think of any other stranger ones I've come across over the years. I have a slightly less common name and still buy anything with my name on it, cos I see it so rarely.

I also remember knowing a girl in England who refused to date any guys called Tyler cos it was such a strange name to her. I guess it's not as common in England, cos I thought it was really weird that she had a deal breaker like that. I thought Tyler was pretty normal. I think it's dumb to blame someone for what their parents named them.
    Tyler in pretty common in Britain, are you sure it wasn't Taylor? Taylor is really uncommon, and generally perceived as a bit weird.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually cant believe you mentioned La-a. I live and work in Pittsburgh, PA, and my previous job was an online customer service rep for a college. When I first started someone told me the story of a mother of La-a, requesting information for her child and the rep chatting with her pronounced the name "Laya" and the mother corrected her and said it was pronounced La-dash-a. Wow, I was never sure if that story was actually true, but apparently there is a La-a in the world!
  • I believe Hermoine is much more popular in the UK but unheard of over here. Kinda like Gemma and Flora. I knew so many people in England with those names, but had never heard of them before.

I have taught a Courage (boy) and Comfort (girl) in the past (bother and sister). They were from Africa before moving here. I can't think of any other stranger ones I've come across over the years. I have a slightly less common name and still buy anything with my name on it, cos I see it so rarely.

I also remember knowing a girl in England who refused to date any guys called Tyler cos it was such a strange name to her. I guess it's not as common in England, cos I thought it was really weird that she had a deal breaker like that. I thought Tyler was pretty normal. I think it's dumb to blame someone for what their parents named them.
    Tyler in pretty common in Britain, are you sure it wasn't Taylor? Taylor is really uncommon, and generally perceived as a bit weird.
    Totally sure, cos I thought it was very weird that she had a hangup on that name.  

• I guy I know and his now-wife named their little girl Bella.  Seriously?  It's kind of a dumb name to begin with and two, you just had to jump on the Twilight band wagon?
    I think Isabella can be a pretty name, and since it existed well before Twilight, it's not like it'll be a name that's obviously pop culture-related in several years when people have forgotten entirely about that mess of a series.

For all we know, she's named after this fancy lady:
    I suppose that's possible. However, I would not choose a name that is so pop-cultural and somewhat uncommon. (I'd never heard of a person named Bella before Twilight, although I'm sure there must have been some out there.)

Also, this little girl's name is not Isabella, it's just Bella.

Although I will say, she is an absolutely adorable little girl.  One of the cutest 1-year-olds I've seen in a long time. And when her parents got married a few weeks ago, she was in a big floofy cute dress pulled in a wagon with "daddy here comes mommy" (yea, not a big fan of the whole wagon, sign thing, but whatever).  Her in the dress with the cutest smile was so adorable.  The photog got a great picture! Made me want kids soon!

One question @kellystuart11 :is Felany pronounced like "felony"?  Because that's how I read it. 
  • APDSS22 said:

FI's niece is named Felany. Beautiful girl, tragic name. 
    One question @kellystuart11 :is Felany pronounced like "felony"?  Because that's how I read it. 
    I assumed more rhymes-with-"Delaney". 
  • APDSS22 said:

@APDSS22 and @flantastic it is most definitely pronounced like felony. I actually had to check facebook to make sure it wasn't actually spelled Felony... She goes by Fel or Nini most of the time
  • APDSS22 said:

@APDSS22 and @flantastic it is most definitely pronounced like felony. I actually had to check facebook to make sure it wasn't actually spelled Felony... She goes by Fel or Nini most of the time
    That's terrible.  If I were that child, I would go by Fel or Nini as well.
  • APDSS22 said:
    APDSS22 said:

Neither Fel or Nini are much of an improvement. I hope she turns 18 and changes her name to Ann. Or Mary. Or something very common sense and simple. 

• Reminds me of the movie Waiting...
    Male Customer #1: It's too bad Chlamydia has to be a venereal disease. It's such a pleasant-sounding word.
    Male Customer #2: Chlamydia?
    Male Customer #1: Chlamydia.
    Male Customer #2: Chlamydia. I think I might name my daughter Chlamydia.

imageimage

• APDSS22 said:
    APDSS22 said:

Neither Fel or Nini are much of an improvement. I hope she turns 18 and changes her name to Ann. Or Mary. Or something very common sense and simple. 

True, although I've seen Fel used as a shortened version of Felicity. 
  • I think we're all forgetting that Michael Jackson named his child Blanket.  

• levioosa said:
    I think we're all forgetting that Michael Jackson named his child Blanket.  
    He named two of his children 'Prince Michael.'

Better than his brother Jermaine, who named one of his children 'Jermajesty.'
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• edited October 2014
    levioosa said:

That was actually just a nickname.

I think my great-grandparents were the original hipster namers. My grandma's middle name was Estellyn - I've looked it up and it's not a name. At least it's pretty!

• I think we're all forgetting that Michael Jackson named his child Blanket.  
    That was actually just a nickname. I think my great-grandparents were the original hipster namers. My grandma's middle name was Estellyn - I've looked it up and it's not a name. At least it's pretty!
    My cousin's grandmother (not the one that we share) really wanted my aunt to name her "Willowlah" after one of her husband's great aunts.

That name got vetoed.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    That was actually just a nickname. I think my great-grandparents were the original hipster namers. My grandma's middle name was Estellyn - I've looked it up and it's not a name. At least it's pretty!
    My cousin's grandmother (not the one that we share) really wanted my aunt to name her "Willowlah" after one of her husband's great aunts.

That name got vetoed.
    Wellllllll on the other side of the family, we had 8 consecutive generations of dudes named "Ichabod." EIGHT. Even considering they were pretty young breeders, that's ~160 straight years of people thinking Ichabod was a great name for their kid.

• beethery said:

That name got vetoed.
    Wellllllll on the other side of the family, we had 8 consecutive generations of dudes named "Ichabod." EIGHT. Even considering they were pretty young breeders, that's ~160 straight years of people thinking Ichabod was a great name for their kid.
    Who doesn't want a name that you can easily shorten to "Icky"?
  • I just have ugly faces that I can make about this. Just no. 8 generations of Ichabod. Nope.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    levioosa said:
    He named two of his children 'Prince Michael.'

Better than his brother Jermaine, who named one of his children 'Jermajesty.'
    My little brother went to school with a kid named Urmajesty.
  • We used to have a Peter Pan at our work. Does it count if you choose the name? 

• Truth. The people two houses down from us- the Ross family- named their baby Ross. Ross Ross. WTF? Why?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards