Chit Chat

The saddest wedding EVER. Lurkers, don't ever do this...

2»

Re: The saddest wedding EVER. Lurkers, don't ever do this...

• Wowww... Just wow. I did my best to muster up all the snark I could.... And I just felt bad for them. How depressing.
    imageimage">
  • I cringed so much through this entire thing.   I know age is nothing - but please tell me this girl was young, like 19 young, and sheltered to the point where she had not experienced the world and been knowledgeable enough to make better decisions?   I just can't fathom how you make up your mind to do that to your guests and then when you realize your guests aren't coming you still don't cancel?!
  • Oh man. This makes me so sad. :( And also grateful for my awesome reception. When I managed a pub, we once had a girl (a GIRL AS IN, she was only like 14!) reserve our private room for a launch party for some fashion line she produced. She estimated 40 people so we planned out food and beverage. The day came and she was the only one to show up. The. Only. One. It was heartbreaking. I almost wanted to make my staff go sit in there with her just so she had someone to talk to.
    That's so sad!! And also makes me think of the episode of SATC where Carrie was the only one that showed up to her birthday dinner. And then had to pay for her cake. 
  • What the deuce?! Nope nope nope. How embarrassing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I guess this proves that you can negotiate with venue managers.
  • LakeR2014 said:
    I cringed so much through this entire thing.   I know age is nothing - but please tell me this girl was young, like 19 young, and sheltered to the point where she had not experienced the world and been knowledgeable enough to make better decisions?   I just can't fathom how you make up your mind to do that to your guests and then when you realize your guests aren't coming you still don't cancel?!
    I'd put them in their 30's. I think he was younger but I'm not sure. They had two kids (I have know idea if they were were both of theirs) I'd guess the oldest was 12 the youngest 6. Old enough to know this was the worst idea ever.

I do encounter a lot of people willing to gamble with cash bars meeting their minimum. The difference is the people planning these events generally know and are willing to pay the difference if their minimum isn't met. It amazes me every last time when people want to throw themselves a party but don't want to pay for it. 
  • And I bet they are going to stomp around de-friending all of the people who didn't come and say "How could you do that to me? No one cares about us!" and not take one bit of the blame.

• jenna8984 said:
    And I bet they are going to stomp around de-friending all of the people who didn't come and say "How could you do that to me? No one cares about us!" and not take one bit of the blame.
    Judging by the bride's demeanor, overall attitude, etc., I'd take that bet. The day before when we met to set things up, when I asked her if her guests knew they'd be responsible for paying for their meals, the way she answered the question made me automatically assume she had zero idea why this wasn't normally the way things are done, and that she thought I was crazy for asking. 

Day of she seemed more pissed than sad. He spent most of the afternoon trying to console her. Trainwreck.
  • jenna8984 said:
    And I bet they are going to stomp around de-friending all of the people who didn't come and say "How could you do that to me? No one cares about us!" and not take one bit of the blame.
    Judging by the bride's demeanor, overall attitude, etc., I'd take that bet. The day before when we met to set things up, when I asked her if her guests knew they'd be responsible for paying for their meals, the way she answered the question made me automatically assume she had zero idea why this wasn't normally the way things are done, and that she thought I was crazy for asking. 

Day of she seemed more pissed than sad. He spent most of the afternoon trying to console her. Trainwreck.
    Oh my gosh, this is seriously worse than any of the wedding nightmares I've ever had, and I've had some BAD ones! 

I felt sick to my stomach just reading this. She obviously had no idea what she was doing, but gosh, can you imagine planning stuff so soon to the wedding and making that much of a debacle out of it? Nobody's wedding day should be that awful - either for them or for their guests! Yeesh, I want to crawl in a hole on her behalf right now...
  • Y'know, I'm kinda surprised you/the venue would allow them to plan to have their guests pay for meals, without a credit card or something on file from the couple as a back-up. Especially considering it was going to be so much trouble to have the staff bill everyone. What if a bunch of guests tried to leave without paying? Or (like what happened), not enough guests showed up? 

Obviously the bride/groom had NO plan on how to cover the minimum if not enough guests show up. It's just mind-blowing. That was really, really nice of you to waive the minimum.
  • jules3964 said:
    Y'know, I'm kinda surprised you/the venue would allow them to plan to have their guests pay for meals, without a credit card or something on file from the couple as a back-up. Especially considering it was going to be so much trouble to have the staff bill everyone. What if a bunch of guests tried to leave without paying? Or (like what happened), not enough guests showed up? 

Obviously the bride/groom had NO plan on how to cover the minimum if not enough guests show up. It's just mind-blowing. That was really, really nice of you to waive the minimum.

I thought they did have a credit card on file?

Anyway, this is so awful. And I can't believe the bride was more pissed than sad. What a way to ruin your own wedding day.
  • jules3964 said:
    Y'know, I'm kinda surprised you/the venue would allow them to plan to have their guests pay for meals, without a credit card or something on file from the couple as a back-up. Especially considering it was going to be so much trouble to have the staff bill everyone. What if a bunch of guests tried to leave without paying? Or (like what happened), not enough guests showed up? 

I thought they did have a credit card on file?

Anyway, this is so awful. And I can't believe the bride was more pissed than sad. What a way to ruin your own wedding day.
    Oh ok, I must have missed that part. Still, I can't believe they weren't prepared as worst-case scenario to pay for it. Or yeah, that they asked their guests to pay in the first place. Just sad.
  • Oh man. This makes me so sad. :( And also grateful for my awesome reception. When I managed a pub, we once had a girl (a GIRL AS IN, she was only like 14!) reserve our private room for a launch party for some fashion line she produced. She estimated 40 people so we planned out food and beverage. The day came and she was the only one to show up. The. Only. One. It was heartbreaking. I almost wanted to make my staff go sit in there with her just so she had someone to talk to.
  • You know, You would think these types of people would surprise me. But, they don't. That's so sad and the couple obviously had no idea what they were doing.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I mean, I do feel bad, but the more I read about this adult bride who acted mad when people didn't want to pay to bask in her glory, the less bad I feel.

I feel like when you're a mom in her 30's it should be pretty obvious that wedding guests shouldn't be surprise-billed at the end of dinner. It's bad enough when you get surprise billed for a cocktail (which makes me want to punch people in the face), but come on!
    And to get surprise billed for a BUFFET, nonetheless, so they didn't even get to choose their dinner... 
  • jules3964 said:

***********SIB************************

We did have a card on file. But I knew it would decline, we'd have to force it and they'd be starting their marriage in a huge charge-back nightmare with their bank they'd inevitably lose since we had a signed contract. No fun for us, very negative looking on our part via word of mouth if they played the victim to anyone who would listen and believe the B&G were in the right, and an additional nightmare scenario for them. It just wasn't worth it. I factored in our loss and it really wasn't much if anything so we took it on the chin to be decent to a couple who should have had a wonderful day but now have that as their wedding memory. 
    When I was young and stupid, I almost married the WRONG man.  We called it off 6 months before the wedding but had already signed contracts with everyone/placed deposits.  My ex and I amicably (I thought) decided that since I'd paid for the wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses and the deposits that he would cover the balance due on the venue contract for canceling so close to the wedding date...  Six months later what showed up on my credit card - you guessed it $1000 charge from the venue because exFi never paid it and I'd put the deposit on my credit card.  I know they were well within their rights to do it but I was PISSED at exFI - who was still calling me and trying to reconcile at that point.  Not to mention, after getting the bill I was furious with myself for returning the engagement ring.  I would have gladly sold it to pay off that charge.  Instead I was stuck with it.  :-(
    Anniversary
  • Yeah I don't have a lot of sympathy for her knowing that she was MAD about it rather than sad, and had every reason to have known better. 

We got surprise billed for a buffet at a bridal shower and that was awful enough. At a wedding? Even worse.

• I mean, I do feel bad, but the more I read about this adult bride who acted mad when people didn't want to pay to bask in her glory, the less bad I feel.

I feel like when you're a mom in her 30's it should be pretty obvious that wedding guests shouldn't be surprise-billed at the end of dinner. It's bad enough when you get surprise billed for a cocktail (which makes me want to punch people in the face), but come on!
    And to get surprise billed for a BUFFET, nonetheless, so they didn't even get to choose their dinner... 
    I think that's what shocked me the most. I mean, if they were going to position the whole thing as dutch treat (not saying this is acceptable either) maybe people in their crowd would have been more amenable? We certainly have things on our menu that are far less expensive than $28. But yea, handing someone a bill for $28 for food they may not ever have wanted in the first place, plus drinks, I so badly wanted to tell her NOOOOOO, don't do it!!! But they don't pay me to critique people's party plans unfortunately.
  • Honestly, I don't feel bad for this new couple. Don't have a wedding you can't afford. Maybe I missed something, but why do you guys feel bad for this ss couple? Yes it sucks more people didn't come to their wedding, but they were terrible planners.

• If I were a guest at this wedding, I would have grabbed my card back out of the box and left.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Honestly, I don't feel bad for this new couple. Don't have a wedding you can't afford. Maybe I missed something, but why do you guys feel bad for this ss couple? Yes it sucks more people didn't come to their wedding, but they were terrible planners.
    Did they suck at planning? Yup. Were they completely clueless? Yup. Is everyone good at planning weddings? Nope. Is watching a bride and groom realize their wedding day is a tremendous fail easy? For some perhaps it would be I guess. 

I can be a pretty big dick about a lot of stuff but I found watching this epic fail unfold in front of me a bit hard to witness. Maybe somewhere deep down inside I buy in to the fairytale? Watching what should be a joyous occasion turn in to the look of shock, sadness and anger come over a Bride (and Groom) is just a bummer. Sure, blame can be applied solely on the B&G, but that doesn't really change what should have been a happy occasion was clearly anything but. 

Most of us can probably look back on our wedding with fondness. Hopefully we can reflect with happiness. These people's poor planning now means when they think of their wedding day it's just a bad memory. The "how did it end up that way" is pretty irrelevant from where I'm standing. I'm sure their lives are getting back to normal already but I can't imagine having to remember my wedding as sucky. 
    Honestly, because I feel sorry for genuinely clueless people. These people were dumbasses, agreed, but they obviously weren't raised right, and they had not a frikking clue. You can bet your ass this would never happen to your daughter, or mine.
    Once you've been told, once you've been taught, I feel no pity. But this poor little dumbass didn't know anything at all, not a clue as to how stoopid she was being, and obviously had no proper parent to step in and say "not in a million years, over my dead body etc." 
    And the resulting shitshow is what she gets to remember, for the rest of her life.
    And that strikes me as more tragic than contemptible. Ignorance is unfortunate. 
  • Yeah I don't have a lot of sympathy for her knowing that she was MAD about it rather than sad, and had every reason to have known better. 

We got surprise billed for a buffet at a bridal shower and that was awful enough. At a wedding? Even worse.
    @lolo883 Wait?  What?  Please explain this (you may have already but I don't remember hearing it).   I just can't fathom that!

(But I also can't fathom a bride ordering a buffet and then charging her guests either, so....)
  • LakeR2014 said:
    Yeah I don't have a lot of sympathy for her knowing that she was MAD about it rather than sad, and had every reason to have known better. 

@lolo883 Wait?  What?  Please explain this (you may have already but I don't remember hearing it).   I just can't fathom that!

(But I also can't fathom a bride ordering a buffet and then charging her guests either, so....)
    Yeahhhh... dear friend of mine. It took place 2 days before her destination wedding, at the destination, at an Italian buffet. Everyone was handed a bill at the end for one buffet rate and whatever they had to drink. Even the bride (though it was snatched away). Then there was about an hour gap to freshen up before the bachelorette party started. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards