Chit Chat

Let's talk about cheese

Re: Let's talk about cheese

• My husband hates any cheese that is not fake Kraft singles. You may think that is the bad news, but oh no, my friends, it's the good news. Because I get to buy glorious cheeses and not have them be eaten!!!!!! I love all of the above plus I don't believe anyone has made mention of gruyere.

(walking to fridge at work to get babybel gouda)

• jenna8984 said:

My husband hates any cheese that is not fake Kraft singles. You may think that is the bad news, but oh no, my friends, it's the good news. Because I get to buy glorious cheeses and not have them be eaten!!!!!! I love all of the above plus I don't believe anyone has made mention of gruyere.

Mmm gruyere! Makes the best mac and cheese. The giant bags of Babybels have been the best part of our Costco membership so far!

I really want to make these but I'm terrified of deep frying. 

Ha! We had the same jingle at our grocery store a few months ago. I used it as TH siggy for awhile ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jenna8984 said:

My husband hates any cheese that is not fake Kraft singles. You may think that is the bad news, but oh no, my friends, it's the good news. Because I get to buy glorious cheeses and not have them be eaten!!!!!! I love all of the above plus I don't believe anyone has made mention of gruyere.

Mmm gruyere! Makes the best mac and cheese. The giant bags of Babybels have been the best part of our Costco membership so far!

boooo the link said not found!

I'm also terrified....I tried to make fried shrimp in one of my apartments in my early 20's and I literally had a ball of fire and lmost burnt the apartment down. Although it's still a hilarious story that we relived at my bachelorette party and all cried from laughing so hard since I threw the flaming pot off my second story balcony.

• It worked when I copy/pasted it - those look fantastic!!!!!  I will be making these soon - the fear of deep frying will NOT get outweighed by the potential deliciousness....
  • My favorite is fried cheese. growing up there was a nicaraguan resturaunt my grandma took me too that had this yummy fried cheese i could bever find anywhere. its bound to give me a heart attack now that I figured out how to make it. Turns out its super easy. Cut 1/4 inch slices of queso fresco roll in corn starch and throw in oil until its golden.

• I can't stand muenster or however that's spelled. Had some right before I got a stomach bug so it's sadly ruined for me.

I may have purchased a locally produced extra sharp cheddar and proceeded to eat only that delicious block of love for lunch. Ok, maybe more than once. Ok, fine. Like for 4 days every 29. Then I go home and eat plain yellow box cake.

My step mom looked at our menu and realized every course can have cheese. Duh. But she's smart, she found that to be on the low amount of cheese.
  • I love all cheese except blue. Blue cheese can get the fuck away from me forever.

I love spicy cheese the most. If it has jalapeno bits in it, I'm in love. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• GAAAAAAAAAH CHEESE!!!! I'd die for it I swear. I'd give up any other loves of my life (alcohol, dark chocolate...) before giving up cheese. I love all cheeses really except goat cheese and feta. Preference for double creme Brie and extra old cheddar.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

DO.IT!  I deep fry all the time.  I've never used a thermometer and never had a fire.  Fried foods are kind of my favorite.

I use string cheese to make homemade mozzarella sticks, and they are so yummy!

• So, y'all are gonna be a little jealous. I recently had a notoriously picky friend over at my house. He has a lot of food sensitivities, so had not tried a lot of good cheeses. I made a grilled cheese sandwich smorgasbord. Fresh mozzarella, brie, havarti, provolone, muenster, baby swiss... it was incredible.

Unrelated, but the thread title made my brain sing this:
    Let's talk about cheese baby,
    let's talk about Bleu and Brie,
    let's talk about cheese!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I heart Tillamook sharp cheddars too! Also fresh mozarella because I'm half Italian and it's in my blood. One of my biggest achievements in my relationship with DH is turning him away from that salty crap in a canister and getting him to buy REAL parmesan and romano! 

Also, can I just say how excited I am that someone bought the cheese board on our registry? It was an after wedding gift so it's getting shipped and should be here in a few days. Forget Halloween parties and candy--I'm inviting everyone over for cheese on my new fancypants cheese board!
  • I LOVE cheese!!! It's one of my three favorite foods, along with crab legs and tomato soup.  I don't know if anyone has mentioned this one yet, but FI and I are on a triple creme kick.  Some nights, if we don't feel like cooking, we will grab some fresh crusty bread, prosciutto, nuts, fruit, and a cheese, and the triple cremes we have had recently have been amazing.  I'm also pretty obsessed with anything involving fresh burrata or a fresh mozzarella caprese salad.  

Relatively recently an artisan cheese shop moved in about a block away... I have to keep away for fear I'll buy the entire shop.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yum yum yum! I try to put cheese on every meal. Seriously. If it has cheese on it, it sounds good to my tummy and I will eat it!

I love colby-jack cheese and mozzarella. And sharp cheddar. Yuumm. I like Brie a lot too. I've never tried others :( anything spicy like pepper-jack is not cool for me. I've tried anything else!

Wait muenster is a no. Too smelly.

image   image   image

• I love feta cheese! I can eat it with almost anything. I think people who don't like cheese of any kind are weird!
  • BREAKING NEWS. Trader Joe's has a Spanish cheese sampler with iberico, cabra al vino, and manchego. It is delicious. Just don't believe the whole "5 servings per package" line because that is bunk. It is 1 serving. Lolo doesn't share cheese!

• I do not like really sharp, smelly or spicy cheeses.  But I like most other kinds.

My go-to are brie, mozzarella or burrata cheese.  Umm, burrata. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I think this sums up all of us in this thread:

In all seriousness though, when I was sixteen I ate a whole block of cheese at once.  It was not as good of a time as one might imagine. At the time I thought, "maybe this is more cheese than I should be eating all at one time."  But then the fatty side of me was like, "THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH CHEESE."  

• levioosa said:
    I think this sums up all of us in this thread:

In all seriousness though, when I was sixteen I ate a whole block of cheese at once.  It was not as good of a time as one might imagine. At the time I thought, "maybe this is more cheese than I should be eating all at one time."  But then the fatty side of me was like, "THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH CHEESE."  

Have you been able to poop ever again?!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lynda you need to get the Spanish sampler! Light and creamy with just a little tangy bite.

• Burrata is my life right now. I usually put one on top of sliced tomatoes with a couple pieces of prosciutto. Then I drizzle some balsamic reduction over it, tear up a couple of fresh slices of basil, and just cut it all up and eat it and pretend to share with FI.

However, the other day I got a container of burrata, and a decent-sized load of italian bread. I brought it home, and mixed up some dipping oil from one of these kits:

Sliced the loaf in half lengthwise and then brushed each side with the oil. Then I cut up the burrata, laid it out on the bread and stuck it in the oven on my pizza stone.

I don't have words for how good it was. FI had his with some of the red sauce I make once a week. It was transcendent.

My other go-to cheese is brie. I eat it with crackers most of the time, and after holidays I put it on rosemary focaccia with leftover ham and a light slather of dijon and grill it in a pan. Soooooooooo good.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Foolish DF. He asked if I meant to put more cheese than egg in my scrambled eggs. So I dumped in another cup of cheese. 3 cups of cheese to 3 eggs was a little lacking so I then added homemade mozzarella to it.
  • @Beethery YES YES YES to burrata. FI and I may or may not buy the 500g sized one and eat all the cheese between the two of us. Yes, 1 pound of cheese devoured in less than 10 minutes, with all the bread too, of course.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @Beethery.  Yes.  Yes to everything in your post.  

• I could talk about cheese for days and days. Cheese and wine are my two favorite foods! Honestly sometimes I'd rather just have the cheese ingredient than do anything tremendously fancy with it. Pure, delicious, unaltered cheese. mmmmmmmmmmm

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Old Nippy Cheddar... heaven
  • Cheese is goooooood stuff - except for goat cheese - nasty musky-tasting stuff!   Oh and pepperjack is no bueno. 

After our float trip this summer, I convinced FI to stop HERE - the kids whined.  I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU INTERRUPT MY STOP TO OSCEOLA CHEESE!  We stopped and I got my string cheese and sharp cheddar curds.  :)

• My husband once asked me what would happen if I developed a lactose intolerance.  The bleak world that started running through my mind was a scary place I never want to visit.

Smoked gouda is my favorite, but every time I go grocery shopping I hit up the cheese counter and try all the samples.  Sometimes something is too spicy or sweet but I don't care.  The only disappointment I ever had was the cinnamon apple white cheddar.  About one second after I put that cheese cube in my mouth it tasted like I had my mouth wrapped around a fall scented air freshener.  Icky. 

I've recently discovered harvarti with herbed flatbread crackers.  I had that with macaroni and cheese and a drink for lunch today. Yum.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards