Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What your guests are saying about you...

2»

Re: What your guests are saying about you...

• Options
    lc07 said:
    I attended a wedding this weekend in Las Vegas. This post isn't about that wedding, but about a different one that was in Vegas. I sat next to a man on the plane who was probably in his 20's. He said he was going to Vegas for his friend's wedding. He then proceeded to tell me that he didn't even want to go to the wedding, but he had booked the trip before he received the invitation and was stuck. Why didn't he want to go? The couple included an insert with their wedding invitation asking each guest to send them $85 to pay for their dinner and then had the nerve to include gift registry information in the invite as well. He was pissed that he had to pay for his own dinner and said that he wasn't giving them a gift. If he hadn't booked the trip off the STD he said he wouldn't have even attended. 

He sat next to me on the flight home as well so I asked him how the wedding was. He said they changed the time of the wedding at the last minute and he couldn't make it there so he ended up not going. He was out his $85, but he said he was glad he didn't go. Apparently they had 10 people come to the reception who didn't send their check in ahead of time and the couple passed around a basket asking for donations from all the guests who already paid to cover those 10 plates!!! 

Please don't be this couple!!! Your friends will talk about you to strangers on planes and judge you hard core for this kind of selfish behavior. This guy blamed most of it on the bride, which I don't really think is fair, but he also said he wasn't sure he would stay friends with the groom after this because of how selfish and ridiculous they were about their wedding. It really made him judge their character hard core.
    Was this really a wedding you did not attend? Why did you end up sitting next to the same guy flying to Vegas and from Vegas? What are the odds?
    I'm not sure why you think I would lie about attending this wedding, but yes it really is a wedding that I did not attend. The odds were actually very good. A large portion of the people on our plane flew out with us and returned with us. There was only one flight on that airline that flew to Vegas from our city on Thursday and only one flight that flew back to our city on that airline on Sunday so anyone spending a long weekend in Vegas from our city flew on the same plane. 
  • Options
    lc07 said:
    I attended a wedding this weekend in Las Vegas. This post isn't about that wedding, but about a different one that was in Vegas. I sat next to a man on the plane who was probably in his 20's. He said he was going to Vegas for his friend's wedding. He then proceeded to tell me that he didn't even want to go to the wedding, but he had booked the trip before he received the invitation and was stuck. Why didn't he want to go? The couple included an insert with their wedding invitation asking each guest to send them $85 to pay for their dinner and then had the nerve to include gift registry information in the invite as well. He was pissed that he had to pay for his own dinner and said that he wasn't giving them a gift. If he hadn't booked the trip off the STD he said he wouldn't have even attended. 

He sat next to me on the flight home as well so I asked him how the wedding was. He said they changed the time of the wedding at the last minute and he couldn't make it there so he ended up not going. He was out his $85, but he said he was glad he didn't go. Apparently they had 10 people come to the reception who didn't send their check in ahead of time and the couple passed around a basket asking for donations from all the guests who already paid to cover those 10 plates!!! 

Please don't be this couple!!! Your friends will talk about you to strangers on planes and judge you hard core for this kind of selfish behavior. This guy blamed most of it on the bride, which I don't really think is fair, but he also said he wasn't sure he would stay friends with the groom after this because of how selfish and ridiculous they were about their wedding. It really made him judge their character hard core.
    Was this really a wedding you did not attend? Why did you end up sitting next to the same guy flying to Vegas and from Vegas? What are the odds?
    I'm not sure why you think I would lie about attending this wedding, but yes it really is a wedding that I did not attend. The odds were actually very good. A large portion of the people on our plane flew out with us and returned with us. There was only one flight on that airline that flew to Vegas from our city on Thursday and only one flight that flew back to our city on that airline on Sunday so anyone spending a long weekend in Vegas from our city flew on the same plane. 
    Yea that's not really that odd. We have had flights in which we are with the same people coming and going. It happens a lot depending on the destination and date. On our last trip to DR, we met a couple from BK at the hotel we stayed at. They had flown out on our flight (we didn't notice them), we hung out with them a few times at the resort, and we flew back to NY on the same flight! On another trip back from DR, we were on the same flight with a chick who was at one of our excursions. I even told FI, "I bet you that girl is from NY" during the excursion (irrelevant story as to why I said that). 

Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Options
    levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    pinkcow13 said: tammym1001 said: lc07 said: tammym1001 said: I attended a wedding this weekend in Las Vegas. This post isn't about that wedding, but about a different one that was in Vegas. I sat next to a man on the plane who was probably in his 20's. He said he was going to Vegas for his friend's wedding. He then proceeded to tell me that he didn't even want to go to the wedding, but he had booked the trip before he received the invitation and was stuck. Why didn't he want to go? The couple included an insert with their wedding invitation asking each guest to send them $85 to pay for their dinner and then had the nerve to include gift registry information in the invite as well. He was pissed that he had to pay for his own dinner and said that he wasn't giving them a gift. If he hadn't booked the trip off the STD he said he wouldn't have even attended. 
    Please don't be this couple!!! Your friends will talk about you to strangers on planes and judge you hard core for this kind of selfish behavior. This guy blamed most of it on the bride, which I don't really think is fair, but he also said he wasn't sure he would stay friends with the groom after this because of how selfish and ridiculous they were about their wedding. It really made him judge their character hard core. Was this really a wedding you did not attend? Why did you end up sitting next to the same guy flying to Vegas and from Vegas? What are the odds? I'm not sure why you think I would lie about attending this wedding, but yes it really is a wedding that I did not attend. The odds were actually very good. A large portion of the people on our plane flew out with us and returned with us. There was only one flight on that airline that flew to Vegas from our city on Thursday and only one flight that flew back to our city on that airline on Sunday so anyone spending a long weekend in Vegas from our city flew on the same plane.  Yea that's not really that odd. We have had flights in which we are with the same people coming and going. It happens a lot depending on the destination and date. On our last trip to DR, we met a couple from BK at the hotel we stayed at. They had flown out on our flight (we didn't notice them), we hung out with them a few times at the resort, and we flew back to NY on the same flight! On another trip back from DR, we were on the same flight with a chick who was at one of our excursions. I even told FI, "I bet you that girl is from NY" during the excursion (irrelevant story as to why I said that). 

______________________Where are my boxes???__________________________

Yeah, especially a city like Vegas, which thrives Friday-Sunday. It's not really that surprising at all.  I live in Southern California and this seems completely plausible.  I've even seen the same cars
    driving to and from Vegas the same weekend.  

I once ran into my friend's cousin over 3,000 miles away from home on a cruise ship in the Caribbean. I was so surprised.  

• Options
    Thanks to the info and advice I was given- directly and indirectly- from this site, my guests were all saying that our wedding was the best and most fun wedding they had ever been to!  I had people out on the dance floor dancing their asses off  that never ever dance at weddings. . . and I had a seat for each one of those asses ;-)

Thanks, gals.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Options
    My friend had a DW at an all inclusive so all of the guests had already paid for their own food when booking the trip. Not sure if that is acceptable. My FI (now husband) and I kind of judged them at the time.
    Nope. Your instincts were right.
    I have a "friend" who's doing this. Her DW is this March (I think) and I didn't get an STD or invitation or anything, but then got a text saying "here's the travel agent's number, you have to pay her X amount of money by X date." All-inclusive so I pay for my own food, including the wedding dinner. And it was effing expensive. And it was either you spend the entire week there or don't go at all; there was no option to go for just a few days. I politely declined. 

ETA: she already told me she's doing a PPD a few months after they get back 
    My friend was the travel agent so she made a commission off each guest (about 70 people). My FI and I booked with my travel agent uncle because he offered to give us the commission towards our trip, the friend was ok with it because she wouldn't offer the same deal. And she got angry at people for price checking on Travelocity...
    So, like, I want to make sure I understand. 

A bride who is a travel agent is having a DW and is also getting all the commissions because people have to book through her? Is that right? 
  • Options
    lc07 said:

You're right; I'm sorry. That was an asshole comment I made.
  • Options
    My friend had a DW at an all inclusive so all of the guests had already paid for their own food when booking the trip. Not sure if that is acceptable. My FI (now husband) and I kind of judged them at the time.
    Nope. Your instincts were right.
    I have a "friend" who's doing this. Her DW is this March (I think) and I didn't get an STD or invitation or anything, but then got a text saying "here's the travel agent's number, you have to pay her X amount of money by X date." All-inclusive so I pay for my own food, including the wedding dinner. And it was effing expensive. And it was either you spend the entire week there or don't go at all; there was no option to go for just a few days. I politely declined. 

ETA: she already told me she's doing a PPD a few months after they get back 
    My friend was the travel agent so she made a commission off each guest (about 70 people). My FI and I booked with my travel agent uncle because he offered to give us the commission towards our trip, the friend was ok with it because she wouldn't offer the same deal. And she got angry at people for price checking on Travelocity...
    So, like, I want to make sure I understand. 

A bride who is a travel agent is having a DW and is also getting all the commissions because people have to book through her? Is that right? 
    Yes, the wedding has already passed but that is what happened. That is why I decided to book with my uncle with the excuse that he was reimbursing me the commission. She did not offer to do the same (both are travel agents and were booking through apple). She vented to me that she was annoyed that people were price checking her against internet travel sites. This is someone who is normally very sweet and caring but not very self aware.
  • Options

This isn't always correct. I had my destination wedding back in May and although I did not have it at a resort, when I contacted resorts during the planning phase, there is still a $50-100 fee per person if you want a seperate room or have more than 10 people. Receptions are not included in the all-inclusive package.
    Seconded. The wedding and reception are not included in the all-inclusive, and we were able to negotiate a discounted rate for our guests that took that into consideration. I've never heard of a resort that won't negotiate a discount for wedding groups, you just sometimes have to be a bit pushy. Our wedding package includes 20 guests, everyone over that is an additional $75 + tax + gratuity. We are definitely paying that though, no excuse for making the guests foot the bill. 
  • Options
    Clearly that couple did not come to The Knot Etiquette section before sending out the invites!
  • Options
    OnionBreathOnionBreath member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014
    Holy crap, I thought paying for your own drinks was bad enough. 

I haven't been to many weddings, but i went to one where the mother of the bride was crying through the reception because the mother of the groom saw the cake, didn't think it looked nice enough because it was from a grocery bakery, and said "I wish you told me you needed help".

It was definitely a budget wedding, but I thought it was a nice day and I kept hearing "could they have helped it??" from the groom's side and "I want to smack that woman" (meaning the groom's mother) from the bride's side.

I felt bad for the mother, we all tried to rally up to specifically make comments about how she made it an amazing wedding.

Whenever it comes up with my friends, we still talk about the groom's nasty mother.

• Options
    Holy crap, I thought paying for your own drinks was bad enough. 

I haven't been to many weddings, but i went to one where the mother of the bride was crying through the reception because the mother of the groom saw the cake, didn't think it looked nice enough because it was from a grocery bakery, and said "I wish you told me you needed help".

It was definitely a budget wedding, but I thought it was a nice day and I kept hearing "could they have helped it??" from the groom's side and "I want to smack that woman" (meaning the groom's mother) from the bride's side.

I felt bad for the mother, we all tried to rally up to specifically make comments about how she made it an amazing wedding.

Whenever it comes up with my friends, we still talk about the groom's nasty mother.

JFC. The MOG is a piece of work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards