Chit Chat

How many roommates have you had?

Not sure why I was thinking about this last night as I couldn't sleep but since I left home at 18 I have lived in/with-

1 dorm, 8 apartments, 4 houses, 16 humans, 6 cats, 3 dogs, 2 ferrets, 1 turtle (....and a partridge in a pear tree)

Re: How many roommates have you had?

• In college, I had a total of four different roommates over the four years. Since college, I've either lived with my SO (two) and have had two roommates. I pretty much hated living with roommates but was never able to afford to live on my own.
  • I dorm, 5 apartments, 1 condo, 5 humans total (including FI), 1 dog.  Really not that many.  I lived with my ex-boyfriend for 2 years, and I've lived with my fiance for almost 2 years now, and before that I lived alone for about 2 years.  I haven't had a real "roommate" since college, actually, because I moved in with the ex right after I graduated

• I had a roommate in my dorm at Governor's school for a summer in HS if that counts, one Freshman year of college in my dorm, and one in an apartment my junior year of college. So 3 people and a dog. And now FI, lol.

• 2 years in a dorm, 2 houses, 2 apartments. I've had a total of 9 roommates. It's just me and my dog in my current apartment, and I absolutely love it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 35 if you count my college dorm suite-mates.... 19 if you don't.
    Damn, no wonder I'm tired of people!

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• 2 dorms and 4 apartments. Not counting fi, I have had 12 roommates. I hated all of them except one that I still hang out with and two were my sister and her boyfriend obviously I don't hate them!

I don't play well with others when they live with me
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I've had 6. Of those, 3 were evil, 1 was super emotional, 1 was nice, and 1 ended up being one of my best friends.

Since I was 18 I've lived in 4 cities, 2 houses, 2 townhouses, and 4 or 5 apartments, with a total of 2 dogs, 3 cats, several goldfish, some snails, 2 parakeets, 4 zebra finches, 1 snake, 2 mice, and a hermit crab.
  • I didn't have many.  2 college roommates (2 different programs, 2 different colleges), then I lived on my own for a year and a half, moved in with FI (now DH) since July 2008 and that's all she wrote. 

We are looking for a bigger place (for eventual babies) because I wanna move sooooo bad.  I hate this little POS apartment! 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• 1 dorm, 3 apartments (one was a sublet for a summer while I interned), 1 townhouse, and a house, with a total of 5 roommates. I only had roommates in college my freshman year, after that I was lucky enough to be in a single. Lived by myself in both apartments, then had 2 roommates at the townhouse, one of which followed me when I got a house. DH moved into the house when he was still FI, and he makes 5.

I hate moving so much I only do it when absolutely necessary.
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I've had a lot...4 houses, 1 apartment, and 14 roommates. Unless you count summer semesters, which would add 2 more apartments and 6 more roommates.

pPlus two dogs, two birds, and innumerable cats (I lived with a girl who ran a cat rescue, so we had 3 full-time cats and tons of short-term fosters.)

Fiance and I were living with two of his best friends until this week, and now it's just one, and I am beyond thrilled because our remaining roommate is a great, fun, CLEAN guy and he is now stuck with us forever/until he buys a house of his own. We get along flawlessly after more than two years and I refuse to give him up.

I have had some terrible roommates in my time, but my current situation is great and it lets us save a lot of money, so I'm happy to do it. Financially, we're all professionals and really don't need roommates anymore, but we all appreciate the extra savings too much to quit.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've only ever had roommates in college. I lived in a dorm freshman year, then in a house and 2 townhomes for the remainder of the time. I had 4 roommates in the house, 3 in the first townhome, and 2 in the second. Then, I moved in with my now XH. I've been living with a SO ever since, except for in between my divorce and when DH moved in. I lived on my own then.

• 1 dorm, I rented out the house I lived in during college resulting in 7, then moved in with fiance + dog. 

• I did include ex boyfriends, ex boyfriend's mom, "basement Jimmy" who lived in my brother's basement while I was living there, & husband. So not all technically roommates but they all lived in the same residence as me. lol

• Just 2. I attended a local college, so I lived at home and then moved into an apartment with my ex husband (but I'm not counting him as a roommate). 

So, my brother and I rented a house together after I got divorced. 
    And then I lived with a HS friend after I moved back to NY from DC. She was a fucking nightmare. And we are no longer friends. 
  • edited November 2014
    I moved out of my mom's house and in with H (then BF). We had a toad. Then we got this drooly mess below. 

ETA: I've only ever lived three places total. My mom (stepdad now that she's passed) still has the house I came home from the hospital to and H and I moved into an apartment and now rent the house literally right next door to my mom's house.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • 1 in my freshman year dorm, 6 in my house at various points over the next 3 years of college plus 2 cats and a turtle, now just H and the 2 dogs. I lived alone from '05-13... not gonna lie, it was pretty glorious.

• No roommates.  Went from living with my parents to living with H and then H and I got a puppy 3 years ago.  I commuted to college so no dorm living for me.

I am very particular about how I live and living with others that I may not know or who like to live differently from me just would not work.  Hell, when H and I go away with his family for a week long vacation down the ocean I get anxious knowing I will have to share a condo with them.

• 1 Dorm in WI - actually had a single that was attached to another single by a bathroom and small kitchen
    1 Apt in WI - 2 roommates
    2 dorms in NY - technically each was a 6 person suite with 3 rooms (so I had 1 actual roommate and 4 suitemates.)
    NYC - 1 apt with roommate
    NYC - the apartment i currently live in - lived with with my ex for 2 years and now my FI has lived here with me for about 6 months!

• Well I was in a sorority in college...

1 dorm, 4 houses, 2 apartments, 14 roommates, 3 dogs.

I liked being in a sorority, I did not like living with a bunch of women.
    Anniversary

• 1 in my freshman year dorm, 6 in my house at various points over the next 3 years of college plus 2 cats and a turtle, now just H and the 2 dogs. I lived alone from '05-13... not gonna lie, it was pretty glorious.
    I got to live alone too. And even though I had a shitty scary apartment in the ghetto, I still loved having it all to myself!
  • Let's see 2 dorms freshmen year for a total of 3 roommates (I got kicked out of my first dorm, long story), 1 condo with 1 other roommate, 1 dorm and 1 more roommate sophomore year when I did a semester in NY. Then my parents bought a 1 bedroom condo by my college, and I lived there alone until I met FI.

• Six all together.  Never lived in the dorms, but I got an apartment with a friend during freshman year (we went to a local university).  She was gone with no explanation when I came back from Europe, but she did find me a new roommate, who stayed with me until the lease was up.  Then I moved into a different apartment with 2 different girls.  Stayed there for awhile, then moved back home, then in with FI.  We had 2 roommates for about a year after they lost their house when the economy tanked.  I'm NOT a fan of roommates!

• I went through 6 roommates in college, 4 dorms/apartments.
    1 apartment in MA with 3 roommates, 3 evil cats
    4 apartments and 1 condo living alone, no pets.
    Quick spurt with 2 roommates in grad school (one after the other).
    Then 2 more apartments followed by a house.

I don't count the various folks I've shacked up with (3.5) over the years.

Total of 8 roommates, 13 addresses over the years.

I'm curious about this half person you lived with. Was it the top half or the bottom half? :-p

I'm curious about this half person you lived with. Was it the top half or the bottom half? :-p
    Bahahah totally missed that, I read it quick as 3.5 years. Now all I can think of is the movie Kids with the skateboard man singing "I have no legs, I have no legs"

• I had 2 dorm roommates in college and for off-campus housing I had an additional 5 roommates. After college when I got my FT job I moved into a house owned by a girl not much older than me, so she was my roommate/landlady for three years, and in that time we also had...6 other girls live with us. So that's a total of 14 roommates. I live with FI but I guess I wouldn't call us roommates, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• 1 dorm, 8 apartments, 2 houses, 12 roommates, 2 dogs, and 2 cities in 9 years. 

So glad DH is my "roommate" now and we finally have a place to be settled!

I had a boyfriend. I moved in then we immediately left for a vacation. I ended up dumping him while we were on vacation. I never even unpacked my boxes.

Long and short of it, his mom loved me so much that she told me about a bunch of shit that her son lied to me about. She thought I was so wonderful that I should know. It would have been nice if I knew before I gave up my amazing apartment for him but she did me a favor. When I called him out on it, he didn't deny it. These were non-negotiables. Life lesson: if you ever have that gut instinct that your partner's not the person you think he is, he isn't.

Though this reminds me that I left off another address and roommate.
  • Oh, and I had three roommates during my time living in the dorms at grad school, but it was a low-residency program so it was only for two weeks at a time. So...15.5?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Hmmm... 5 dorms and 3 apartments in 4 cities in 9 years. I'd lived with 16 different people before moving in with DH about 3 and a half years ago. Excluding DH, 13 were female and 3 were male. 

My two freshman year roommates were the worst. I completely understand having a good time in college, but I don't put removing a closet door at 3am on a Tuesday to make a beer pong table, into that category. Especially when I had an 8am class. 

The best would be my good guy friend who I lived with for two years post college. We ending up renting out our sunporch to three different friends (at different times), and I really enjoyed the year my BFF lived with us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards