Not Engaged Yet
Options

Thursday!

I have a light dusting on my back porch for all of you warm-weather ladies.  I'm guessing Saturday we'll have our first "real" snow of the year.  Looking at you @peakaboo2011 & @CLoGreenEyes !
Formerly known as flutterbride2b

Re: Thursday!

• Options
    it's cold here, but no snow!  maybe a little snow/ice this weekend, but I doubt it sticks around.  although, if it's going to be so cold, it might as well snow a little bit and make it pretty!

I am so glad it's Thursday!!  that means tomorrow is Friday, and I'm off at 11:15 tomorrow...  YAY!!
  • Options
    @WildMagelet -OMG no snow please! Not yet.

It was significantly colder this morning then it has been since the temps have been dropping. I definitely wanted to stay in the covers this morning. I'm super sore from my last two workouts. It's mainly my chest, upper back, and abs. If I sneeze...Lord help me. 

Nothing too crazy going on today. We are doing reviews at work right now so I have to do my personal review this afternoon and have three of my coworkers do a peer review. It's annoying.

Tonight I'm thinking about making Potatoes Au Gratin with some Honey baked ham. It sounds like a good cold weather dish.
  • Options
    Ugh.  I'm exhausted.  I got up at 3:30 this morning due to this dang cough that won't go away and was up ever since.  I have a presentation this morning at work so I'm drinking lots of coffee.  I'm so looking forward to Friday (last day at work until our vacation in Mexico)!!
  • Options
    It's a high of 35F today here, it was snowing when I drove in (no accumulation), they said we might get 1-2 inches but it just depends on where the snow bands occur and the cold weather coming from over the lake.

@minskat30 - take us all with you to Mexico!!  I bet it's warm there :o)

Anniversary
  • Options

oh no I hope we steer clear of snow for a while here. 

Today is going to be miserable beyond belief.  I have to do a health screening for work, so it means a blood test and I'm getting a flu shot.  Did I mention I have a fear of needles? 5:00 today is our appointment for our sick cat and the vet. She really hasn't been eating at all.  :-( I'm so worried about the appointment and what will happen.

After a week of stress, there is something good.  I got a call yesterday I got the role I auditioned for so I'll be playins Sister James in Doubt in January.  I did mention it in another thread sorry for the overlap.  I'm trying to cling to good news right now.

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm pretty sure we got our first "staying" snow of the season. We'll probably get to keep this through March-April, and I'm pretty sure the ground froze wet, so that will complicate the spring thaw. Makes it harder for the farmers to get back in the fields. Blech. Winter is here.

Today is my Friday. I'm trying to keep it a relatively quiet day. Football tonight, maybe BWW as well. It's keeping me sane. I hope it does the same for FI. Knit on FSSIL's blanket - I'm about half done with it. I'll need to pack an extra pound of yarn.

Friday and Saturday we will be with his mom and stepdad for his grandmother's (mom's mom) funeral.

Sunday we will be home for football. Start re-establishing normal. This week didn't help with routine with the holiday in the middle. A little routine will be good for FI.

Have a good weekend, everyone, in case I don't get on tomorrow!
  • Options
    I think we're getting our first snow dusting here this weekend too. I'm ready for some real fall/winter weather. It's at least cold out today so I'm making a new chili recipe for dinner
  • Options
    lmcooper86lmcooper86 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited November 2014

We've had snow a couple times already, but nothing's stuck for more than a half day. There's a chance it will snow a bit today, but IDGAF because I am going to Florida tonight!!!

So today is my Friday. FI's picking me up at work at 3:00 and we're going straight to the airport. We have a late flight home Sunday, so it means 3 full days of warm and sun. I'll be a tired panda on Monday but it will be worth it.

I'm FINALLY caught up on emails. I've literally done nothing else all week and I've finally cleared it all out. Now I need to not get sick or anything so I can stay on top of it!

ETA: I typed this all out, posted, and looked out the window. And it's snowing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I hope you have a fun, warm weekend @lmcooper86!!!  I hope you'll remember me, because it's going to be a high of 34 and yucky winter precip here.  BOO.
  • Options
    Ugh not happy with the snow, there was frost everywhere this morning.  All the local ski resorts are already announcing the're going to start making snow next week.  

I'm taking a 1/2 day at work so I can be with my mom for her doctor appointments, and most likely taking off tomorrow so I can be with her for the procedure.  I'm the least emotional out of everyone in my family, and being the oldest I always feel like I cannot show emotion in front of my sisters and brother to help them stay calm, so it was really difficult to not freak out when we found out the what is going on with my mom last night (see T&P thread for details). 

Aside from taking care of my mom I now have to get tested for type I diabetes.  It skips a generation in my family so at least one of my siblings, cousins, or myself are guaranteed to have it, but my family doesn't start showing signs until late 20s-early 30s.  It has always been something in the back of my mind, but my mom pointed out last night that my grandfather was 28 when he first started showing signs. 

Funny story though -- my two year old niece has been carrying a toy phone for the past few weeks and has been telling people that I keep calling her and she doesn't know why haha 

Good thing I still have wine from my trip to the finger lakes because this weekend will be needing one of these: image
  • Options
    @Peaceblossom55, this probably won't help but I had a friend who had a HUGE fear of needles. Her thought was to constantly look at a picture of a needle and tell her mind to get used to the idea of a needle. She didn't follow through though because she didn't want a picture of a needle popping up on her computer screen and others in the dorms thinking she was a druggie. It was pretty funny and cute . . . I wonder if it would actually work.

@lmcooper86, have tons of fun in Florida! I'm so jealous. I'm wearing 4 layers of clothing, sitting in my cubicle and freezing my butt off. Ugh, CNY why must you get cold so early?!

Also, there is a likely chance of snow this afternoon, but on the bright side, one more day closer to the weekend!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options

No snow here but it sure is cold! The light jacket I grabbed this morning was a poor choice. At least I finally got my Chestnut Praline Latte to warm me up!

@peaseblossom55 I'm sorry your kitty isn't doing better. It's so hard because we love our pets like they are family, but sometimes the right thing to do is to let them go because they are suffering. Hopefully the vet is able to give you more positive news than that, but if it's bad, I'm sure your cat will tell you when she is ready. When we lost Bella it was such a hard and sad decision, but it was also the right one even though we didn't want it to be. My heart is breaking for both of you right now.

@speakeasy14 I hope you test negative for diabetes! That's the worst!

I don't have any special plans today. I hate that it gets dark so early now...I feel like when I get home all I want to do is go sit on the couch. I need to start coming up with a new hobby or something for the winter time...maybe I'll get back in to crocheting or something.

• Options
    @lapeanut1018 thanks me too (though I would rather have it over my cousins, poor kids already have so many other health issues)! And I have been feeling the same way after work, it completely throws me off.  It was 7:00pm last night and I was getting ready for bed because I thought it was 11.  I like your idea of getting a winter hobby.

@peaseblossom55 I hate needles as well, I will look the opposite way so I don't have to see the needle and think about being on a beach somewhere (usually helps distract).  Hopefully the vet gives you better news soon.  Also, congrats on getting the part you wanted!!

@lmcooper86 soak in alllllll the sun rays and warmth!!
  • Options
    Thank you @lapeanut1018 and @speakeasy14 It so hard to let a pet go, but at the same time we don't want her to suffer. 

Anniversary

• Options
    @peaseblossom55 Congrats on getting the part! I'm really happy that you've got a silver lining through all of this. Please let us know what the vet says today!

@WildMagelet Our forecast this morning said no snow after all. :( I haz a sad. Originally they were saying we may get a dusting this weekend, but now it looks like it will just be sleet pellets (if even that). 

@southernpeach89 Mmmmm dinner sounds fabulous. Perfect cold weather food.

@minskat30 I hope you feel better before Mexico! 

@lmcooper86 YAY! Have so much fun in Florida! 

@speakeasy14 *hugs* I'm so sorry you've got so much on your plate right now. I hope everything goes smoothly with your mom, and I really hope your test comes back negative. 

@LaPeanut1018 I know what you mean! All I do when I get home is turn on Netflix and work on a puzzle. I feel like an old lady. It's so dark and cold out that all I want to do is curl up on the couch with a blanket. Good idea though about the crocheting! I need to pick up my knitting needles again. Where did you learn to crochet? I've been wanting to learn for a few years.

I really love this weather. This whole time of year is just magical. I'm corny and crazy, but whatevs. On the way to work this morning I got a hankering for a peppermint hot chocolate, and the one near work that normally causes huge traffic jams was fairly empty, so I stopped and got myself a little treat. It was so good! I really want to try their peppermint mocha and their chestnut praline latte--- perhaps I'll make it a once-a-week treat. :) I totally had this moment this morning:

Plusalso, the hot chocolate will put me slightly over my calorie goal today, which means I can attempt the gym! Not sure if I will or not (depends on how late I work... plus I have a huge calorie deficit from 2 weeks of undereating), but I'm happy to have the option again. If I don't go today, I think I'll have Saturday be my official return date. So happy to be back to normal. I know I was only really down for about a week, but it seriously felt like I was never going to be normal again.

I have a WR question for the OMHs and engaged ladies: for those of you who booked a makeup artist, was it necessary to do a trial before the bridal portraits and the wedding? Could I safely lump together my trial and my bridal portrait session? I'm starting to get quotes for makeup, and having to do 3 sessions (trial, bridals, wedding) is pretty pricey. I've been quoted anywhere from $350 to $500 for all 3, which seems a little high... but I also have no idea what the cost of any of this should be.

OK,  time to be productive! 

• Options
    @eilis1228 - I did NOT have a trial for hair and makeup at all.  I have known a lot of others that used their trial on their engagement photos or a boudoir photo shoot (if they had one).  For my hair it was $65; for my makeup (airbrush) it was $80; for false lashes it was $13 (they supplied the lashes and applied them for me).

Anniversary
  • Options

@eilis1228 I think if you're confident that the make-up trial is going to turn out acceptable enough then I'd definitely lump the portrait session together with the hair and make-up trial...that way your hair and make-up already looks fantastic and you don't have to pay for it twice for your picture session! I wasn't 100% happy with my makeup at my first trial but it was still pretty and would've turned out nicely for photos. I also ended up completely changing my hair style because my original stylist left the salon and my mom wanted me to try something different (that I ended up loving even more). Sooo there is that...

I learned to crochet in college. I had a bunch of friends who were (and still are) really in to it so they taught me the basics. I've never done it consistently but I know enough to do basic crochet styles. I've been told it's easier than knitting.

• Options
    @eilis1228 I did a make up trial and hair trial I didn't use the trial for any particular purpose though.  I think I ran errands and came home after.  We did our engagement pictures early and I didn't find my hair and make up people until later on in the process. 

Anniversary

• Options
    @peaseblossom55 - I'm so sorry about your kitters.  Sending you guys all of the love.  On the other note, I'm also deathly afraid of needles to the point where I usually pass out.  Two things have helped lately.  I've been asking for people who are extremely experienced at the lab, because they know exactly what they're doing.  The other thing is that the last guy who took blood had me tell him a story about the last time I saw a rabbit.  He wanted to know where I saw the rabbit, how big it was, what it looked like, what it was doing, did I touch it?  Totally weird, but random enough that I was completely and totally focused on trying to remember that rabbit and not on the fact that he was draining my blood.

@speakeasy14 - FX for good test results!!

@lmcooper86 - Have a wonderful trip!

It's a high of like 46 here today.  It was 38 when I got up this morning.  We're trying REALLY hard to not turn the heat on until December, but we shall see.  It was cold in the house this morning.  I am, however, putting off wearing a real coat for as long as possible.  I wore a pullover sweater and a scarf out of the house this morning.

Today I have a ton of directory and website updates to push, and then I have a track workout at 7.  I am pumped.  Tomorrow is Friday and then it's the weekend!
    I french with my man
  • Options
    Morning ladies!  This is a P&R because I'm in a rush.

I'm dragging this morning.  I didn't fall asleep until 2:30 this morning, ick!  Combine that with the cold weather and getting out of bed didn't happen until 9:15.  I don't have to be in class until 11:00, so I'm getting ready really fast and eating a quick breakfast so I can try to get some things done before then. I need to get a job application in today--everything is together except for my cover letter, which I have to print out on letterhead, then scan back into a PDF, and then send via email (so annoying).  I also need to study my catechism, because I meet with the priest again tomorrow to talk about the first part of it.  Tonight, I'm babysitting overnight for a friend's kids...shouldn't be too much of an issue, because they're 13 and 15...tomorrow morning getting them up for school will be the main challenge!

OK.  Off to work.
  • Options

@Peaseblossom55 - Congrats on getting the role! That is so awesome! I saw the movie, but haven't seen the show live before. So which nun are you, plot-wise? I'm sure you'll be fantastic! I hope you're able to use that to get through what doesn't sound like a fabulous day.

@speakeasy14 - I love the story about you calling your niece. That is so freakin cute!

@eilis1228 - What kind of puzzle do you do? A jigsaw puzzle? My coffee table isn't big enough! I totally wanted to do one this fall and it didn't fit. I'd have to sit in the dining room by myself, which isn't worth it.

------------------------------

Last night was a rough one. I ended up at the hospital for my advocacy volunteering, and this poor girl got beaten and raped by her husband. I don't even understand how she could speak, her face looked so awful. I was with her for about 2 hours, then headed home and bawled the whole way. I didn't sleep well. I'd only gone to the police station before that. Never had to do a hospital visit.

But then this morning my dog and I were playing tug of war inside (too cold for a walk, plus freezing rain? No Thank You). As soon as my BF left for work, my dog was basically like "LET'S RAGE!!!" and started jumping on and off the couch, and flailing his toys around. I really should have put on some heavy metal music, cuz it's like he thought he was moshing. Anyways, we ended up on the floor wrestling, and I was covered in slobbery kisses, and ended up feeling okay after that.

Most people are teleworking today because of the Severe Winter Storm warning. There was freezing rain on my way in, but I'm not a giant pussy, so here I am, haha. Actually it's because I have a meeting with customers so I got dressed up all nice and everything.

• Options
    @alpacina She's a riot, probably the only 2 year old I can have a full conversation with, but yeah she had her toy phone in her hand and her exact words were "ugh Aunt speakeasy keeps calling me and I don't know why?!"  I'm planning to surprise her with a visit this weekend and ask her why she hasn't been answering my calls hahaha

Also, I would have cried after the hospital visit too, but I'm glad your puppy was able to cheer you up.

eilis1228 peppermint hot chocolate sounds amazing right now! I would lump your trial with your bridal portrait, then you won't have to do your hair or makeup yourself!

• Options
    @Dignity100, @LaPeanut1018, and @peaseblossom55 Thanks for the advice! I think I'll lump the trial and the portrait session together to save money. Did any of you cover hair or makeup or both for your BMs? I'm toying with the idea of covering the cost of one of the services, but with 6 BMs, it can add up fast. I don't really have a preference how they do hair or makeup that day though. I just want them to be comfortable. I honestly don't care if they show up with Converse under the dress, you know? Whatever makes them feel comfortable and pretty is fine by me.

@LaPeanut1018 Ohh crocheting is easier than knitting? Then I'll definitely have to look into it! 

@AlPacina Yeah, I love jigsaw puzzles. I'm an old lady. :) My living room and dining room the same room, so I sit at the dining table and watch TV while I work. My grandmother bought a folding card table though so she can do puzzles in front of her TV, so if you really wanted to do a puzzle, you could look into that. 

• Options
    @minskat30, YAY for Mexico.  BOO for cough.  Miss your pretty face.

@peaseblossom55, Congrats on getting the part!

I'm really sad today.  I had a really heavy therapy session last night, and it left me sort of raw.  It was heavy to the point that we ran 40 minutes over because she wanted to make sure I was ok going home, which was really responsible of her.

So today, I'm kind of sad panda.  :(
  • Options
    Hugs @loves2shop4shoes - I know therapy can leave you raw but you are doing AMAZING work and all the hard work will be worth it...promise.  Miss you, lady
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

@eilis1228 I paid for all the BMs to have their hair done professionally. I didn't really dictate a style other than "updo" because the salon required me to put something in to the contract. I also paid for my FMIL and my FG to have their hair done...sooo with my hair and make up and 7 updos plus one child's hairstyle my total was $783.20 (including a 20% tip). I did this for two reasons: 1. @southernpeach89 paid for everyone's hair to be professionally styled for her wedding and it was totally awesome because I hadn't had a pro-updo since high school. 2. I did my own hair for my friend's wedding a couple years ago and it came out looking like poo and I wanted everyone to look and feel their absolute best because they are my friends/family and I love them.

So long story short...it was kind of expensive but it was totally worth it. It helped that it was split into 2 payments, a 50% deposit with the remaining amount due about a week before the wedding.

ETA: I didn't cover make-up. A couple of them are super picky about what brands they use and one of my friends has an allergy to certain make-ups...so it was just easier and much cheaper to let them do their own make-up at the venue after we got our hair done.

• Options

@peekaboo2011 I think if I'm distracted and talking about something else and definitely not looking at it, it helps.  I had to get 3 shots to go on my honeymoon the girl began talking to me and it really distracted me. So I hope that is does work.

@eilis1228 I didn't pay for my BM to get hair and make up done.  I also made it clear getting hair and make up was completely optional or they could go somewhere else to get it done if they want.

@loves2shop4shoes thanks!

@Alpacina I will be playing the Amy Adams role.  The younger nun.

Anniversary

• Options

Tonight I'm thinking about making Potatoes Au Gratin with some Honey baked ham. It sounds like a good cold weather dish.
    Want to share? mmmmm.........
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards