Not Engaged Yet
Options

It's Monday!

How was everyone's weekend? Who is snowed in?

We got the big storm in Georgia too but thankfully it's just a bunch of heavy rain. There's a major cold front coming up behind it so hopefully everything dries up before the freeze hits. Our southern roads absolutely cannot handle the ice.

This weekend H and I bought a buffet for our "dining" room which is really more of a parlor. We seriously needed a piece of furniture to hold all of our new glasses and hostess dishes plus a bunch of other miscellaneous items that have been stealing space in our kitchen cabinets. We found this Drexel Heritage piece at a local consignment/antique shop for $600! I was so happy because H wasn't willing to spend more than $800 to $900 on a buffet and I knew we wouldn't be able to find anything comparable brand new. It's in a really great shape, the only thing missing is a small shelf inside the main part of the cabinet but that's something we can easily replace.

At the store:

In our house. Ignore the awful wallpaper. I need to paint in this room and figure out how I want to style the stop of the buffet.

Aside from picking up our buffet, we spent part of Sunday moving all the wine glasses, serverware, and hard alcohol into the buffet. Then H went in the backyard and chopped up some wood for fires this winter and I did some crafting. I finished making a couple ornaments - 3 with our invitation cut into strips and curled, and 3 with dried flowers from my centerpieces and bouquet.

Not the greatest image I guess. This was my inspiration!

imageimage

Re: It's Monday!

• Options
    we have an old Century buffet that needs some work (new stain/finishing, new knobs) but it's so handy for storage!!  I like the piece you found!

I am working from home today (at least for now).  we got a lot more ice and snow than expected (they were anticipating 1/2" where I'm at but we ended up with 4-5" plus a solid sheet of ice beneath) so the roads are like an ice rink.
  • Options
    @LaPeanut1018 I love the new buffet and your ornaments! I think they look great!

This weekend was pretty laid back. Friday DH and I went out to dinner just us two for the first time in a while. Then we went to Barnes and Noble and sat at the kids table and read some books because we were heading to ATL for a friend's bday party and we were still pretty early. We got down to ATL and it was a shit show. My friend was already super drunk. We didn't stay for more than a couple hours. I love her but we were both just tired.

Saturday we got up early to go to a competition at our CrossFit gym. DH and I both participated and got pretty good times. They had a BBQ afterwards since it was their two year anniversary and then they threw a combined baby shower for a couple girls that go there. We went home and I made potato soup and one of my friends came over to watch the GA/Auburn game. Both her and DH got pretty drunk and I fell asleep lol. GA won and she was super pissed.

Sunday DH was extremely hungover so we spent most of the day just lounging. I made pasta for dinner and we watched Parenthood and Football all day. The FALCON's are in 1st place for the NFC South now. It's unbelievable to me considering how bad they have been playing this year.
  • Options

Wow the buffet is so nice! We recently bought one too for our dinning room, I couldn't believe how expensive they are.  I really didn't want to spend a lot one either.  We had so many dishes and china.  We needed the extra storage.  I love the crafting you did with the ornaments.  I may have to steal that idea. 

The weekend was ok. H had hockey on Friday so I was home just relaxing.  The weekend was a bit sad, we miss our cat so much.  I still hurt and cry over it, so does H.  I hope each day gets a little easier.  Saturday we ran some errands, did some cleaning around the house. I got my wedding band inspected and cleaned on Saturday. Sunday we met up with my family for dinner, to celebrate my dad's birthday.  We were home in time for The Walking Dead though.

This week I start rehearsals for the two different shows I'm in, so thinks are going to start to get crazy. I prefer being busy though.

Anniversary

• Options
    @LaPeanut1018 I love that buffet! Those ornaments are a really great idea too. I may steal that next year. 

@CocoBellaF Stay safe!

We got a light dusting of snow, but the roads are fine. I did hit one small patch of ice on my way into the office this morning, but it wasn't anything major. I kinda wish we'd had an icepocalypse though. I would have loved to stay in my pajamas all day and work from home. 

This weekend was a lot busier than I thought it would be. Friday night we went and saw Big Hero 6, which was wonderful. I really really loved it even though I was able to predict all of the big "twists." It was a great movie, and we may end up seeing it again at some point. Saturday we helped some friends move, and we stayed most of the day. We were exhausted by the time we got home, so we ran to Target to goof around a bit and buy me a new puzzle, and then we got food from Jack in the Box and just vegged the rest of the night. Sunday we met those same friends for brunch and then helped them unpack until about 5:30. Then we spent the rest of the night cleaning our own apartment because it hadn't been properly cleaned in about 3 weeks. My feet are really sore today as a result, but we definitely got a lot done.

On the agenda for today is work, allergy shots, grocery store, cooking dinner for the first time since  my surgery, and more relaxing with a puzzle. I finished my re-watch of Gilmore Girls on Netflix, and I started New Girl a few days ago. I've never seen it before, but it's pretty good. I think the roommates are the best part of the show, but Zooey Deschanel's character is growing on me.

Tomorrow and Wednesday are going to be crazy days at work. Tomorrow we have an online conference that we're hosting, and I'm "producing" two sessions. I have to be here around 7:30am to get ready for the first session, which starts at 8am. Wednesday we have a big meeting to debrief on the conference, and then we're doing an online all-staff meeting where my department is presenting a powerpoint on what we do within the company. We're supposed to try to take up 2 hours, but that probably won't happen. The last time we practiced we were at an hour, which is still pretty respectable. I think we'll be fine.

Anywho, I should get to work. Hope everyone has a great Monday!

OH! and @phira CONGRATS AND BEST WISHES, OMH! Can't wait to hear all about the big day.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    What @eilis1228 said - @phira I hope your day was perfect and amazing and wonderful! Congrats OMH!!!

• Options
    @phira - can't wait for you to check in and AW all kinds of pretty photos!  congrats, again!
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014

@eilis1228 What's on the menu tonight for your first home cooked meal since your surgery? If you decide to do something similar with your wedding flowers I definitely recommend using silica gel to dry them out! And follow the instructions exactly!! I didn't follow them perfectly for my bouquet so the results came out pretty so so...I followed them a lot more closely for flowers from my centerpieces and they came out beautiful! It even preserved the color of the flowers and the shape (like the hydrangeas are full and not all shrunken and crinkly). I really wish now I had planned ahead better on this now that I see how well the results turn out if you do a careful job. The really nice dried flowers are going in to a wedding shadow box so maybe I'll AW those later.

@peaseblossom55 I'm so sorry this weekend was so sad for you. It does get easier to bear, but it's ok to feel sad for as long as you want.

ETA:

@peekaboo2011 I really love the shape and color of that dress on you! I hope the blush turns out just as nice!

• Options

@peekaboo2011 the dress is so pretty and so are you btw.  I love it.

@Phira can't wait for updates on the wedding!!

Anniversary

• Options
    @peekaboo2011 - you look gorgeous! 
  • Options
    @lapeanut1018 - That buffet is fabulous!  I love it--and what a great deal.

Like @CocoBellaF said...we got a lot more snow than people were expecting, so most of the schools are closed today, which means...snow day!  I'm spending the first part of it catching up on emails from students and then I'm going to turn to dissertation research for the rest of the day.  I will have to get out to go teach Zumba, which is probably a good thing because I ate cheesecake for breakfast.

This weekend was pretty good.  Friday-Saturday I went to Tulsa to do research in a library at a school up there.  I ended up only being able to do research on Friday, because they don't let visitors in on the weekends (?!).  So Friday night I stayed in a hotel and then slept in and went to a hot yoga class on Saturday morning before I headed back.  Yesterday, I had Nutcracker rehearsal in the afternoon; the snow really picked up while I was there and I ended up being out and having to drive home in the thick of it...near whiteout conditions at times, and I didn't go more than 30 mph the whole way home.  It usually takes me 45 minutes at most; it took me a little over 2 hours!  I got home, poured a huge glass of wine, and ate a couple of pieces of my mother's no-bake cheesecake (which she made as a surprise for my father's birthday tomorrow, so now I have to make another one today...oops).

Other than that, the only thing of note this weekend was the fight Mr. H and I had.  :-(  Everything's okay now, but we got really frustrated with each other for a while on Saturday.  He refuses to leave his current job until he has something lined up.  I, on the other hand, think that he should just go ahead and quit, even if there's nothing for sure in the works yet.  This job is so stressful that I'm really worried about the effect it's having on his health, both physical and mental...every time we talk, he sounds more and more depressed, exhausted, and discouraged.  My (amazing and unflinchingly generous) family has offered to help us out financially until he finds something, but he won't even hear of it.  Everything's fine now (because I just dropped it and decided not to push), but it isn't any fun to argue when you can't even really talk to each other.  The only way we have right now of communicating consistently is iMessage...and though we've gotten really good at communicating via text, it's not exactly the way you want to have a serious discussion.

• Options
    @lapeanut1018 thank you. I figure it will get easier over time.  We just keeping for one day with her before she was sick to be with her and spoil her again, but we know that won't happen.  Sigh, time heals everything I guess.

Anniversary

• Options
    Thanks @cocobellaf @peaseblossom55 and @lapeanut1018!  I ended up going back to the salon I used to work at, and it was a great decision.  They've changed SO much though, which made me super sad (they don't carry Jim Hjelm anymore!!)  It was really nice to be able to fit into basically all of the sample dresses - the only one that didn't fit was another Amsale, size 6.   The red one had to be clipped because I had like 3" in it.  It was a 14, but STILL.  When I worked there before, I was a bridal size 16-18 in Amsale because they run so small.

@peaseblossom55 - I'm still sending you guys all of the hugs.  Have you guys thought about getting another cat?  Not as a replacement, but to help?

@cocobellaf - Stay warm!

@southernpeach89 - I didn't know you did crossfit!  How do you like it?  M keeps going back and forth as to whether or not he wants to try it.

@eilis1228 - Good luck on the conference!  I know how stressful they can be!

@futuremrshistorian - What kind of research?  I love academia.  Also, sorry about the fight with your SO.  I do get what he means though - it's infinitely easier to find a job if you already have a job, and when you don't have a job and you're looking, at some point, it gets really hard to keep applying because what's the point? I hope he gets something else soon.  Sending <3
    I french with my man
  • Options
    @LaPeanut1018, what a beautiful buffet! I have one and it is currently home to my late father's war books. Need to buy a second bookshelf so I can actually use the buffet for what it was intended for. Also, even with the "ugly" wallpaper, I think that your buffet looks really nice in that area. Maybe it's the wooden wainscoting (is that the right term? If not, the wooden trim). 

Also, those ornaments look great! They look like a professional did them. You did a great job. Are you a crafty type of person or was this something on the fly? 
  • Options
    @peekaboo2011 YES! DH and I have been doing it now for almost a year and a half. DH and I are planing on stopping though just because we need to focus more on saving some money and CrossFit isn't the cheapest way to stay fit. It's awesome though! I've never thought any of the workouts were easy...they are all extremely difficult and I feel really good afterwards. Let me know if he gives it a shot.
  • Options
    @LaPeanut1018 I'm going to make some tilapia, brown rice, and peas (they're the only green vegetable FI will eat). Nothing too fancy, but I'm really excited to get back in the kitchen and cook. I miss eating real, homecooked food. Thanks for the tips on the ornaments! You did a fantastic job! They look like they were professionally made. I'm sorry your bouquet didn't turn out though. :( I really like the idea of using ornaments to preserve those things. It's fun, festive, and will be looked at every year. Very cool!

@peekaboo2011 You look fantastic! Thanks for the good wishes for the conference. I've never produced a session before, and I'm apparently producing one of the first ones for the day that will have about 100 participants. Eek! 

• Options

@futuremrshistorian I'm sorry about your fight. I have to agree with what a PP said earlier though. If I were in his shoes I'd definitely prefer to keep my current job (stressful and awful it may be) until I have another job lined up. I wouldn't want to put myself in the insecure position of not being employed and trying to find work. He's a lot more attractive to a future employer as a currently employed person rather than someone who just up and left his job. It sucks that you guys are stuck with iMessenger for communicating (or texting). I know how hard it can be to get context and emotion across in that situation and it's easy to take something the wrong way.

• Options
    @peekaboo2011 We had 4 cats and are now down to 3.  We always though 4 was too many, and the three left don't get along too well. A new cat would just add to the craziness.  She was my favorite cat too, which makes it a bit harder.  We both said no more cats.

Anniversary

• Options
    @peekaboo2011 - My dissertation is about how American Protestant groups respond to terrorism.  I <3 it.

And, you and @lapeanut1018 are absolutely right...and if I were in his shoes I would feel exactly the same way.  That's the main reason I decided to drop it...I know he's right.  I'm just frustrated.  We haven't seen each other since August, and it's always about this time that it starts to really wear on me, and I become willing to do ANYTHING to get us in the same place at the same time for longer than a week.
  • Options
    @futuremrshistorian - That is HOT.  I would love to eventually read your dissertation. 
    I french with my man
  • Options
    lmcooper86lmcooper86 member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    edited November 2014

Good (snowy) morning ladies!

@LaPeanut1018 - Nice buffet! And I'm really impressed with your ornaments; I want to look into preserving flowers from our wedding and was thinking shadow box, but having something like bits of the programs or invites made into an ornament would be so pretty!

@CocoBellaF - Yay snow day! I'm jealous!

@Peaseblossom55 - I'm so sorry about your cat, sending you all the hugs <3

@peekaboo2011 - Love the dress!

@phira - I hope you had a wonderful wedding yesterday! Come be an AW soon :)

My weekend was (overall) lovely and warm and now I'm at work and it's snowing. BOO!

Thursday I left work early and FI and I went to the airport to leave for Florida. Literally everything that could go wrong went wrong on our trip down lol. Huge line for customs (we clear US customs in Toronto) and almost no one working and then an even longer line for security; it was so bad that they were calling flights about a half hour before departure and pulling people out of line to rush them through security. I had sent FI through on his Nexus because he needed to check his golf clubs and we were getting close to the cutoff and I didn't want him to miss it, so I was in the crazy security line by myself, texting him as our boarding time got closer and close. I was "randomly selected" for a secondary security screening, and by the time they called my flight (seriously 20 minutes before we were supposed to take off) I was already in the screening line. They finally finished and I grabbed my stuff and literally ran through the airport to get to the gate (and fully snapped at a teenager to get out of the way on the escalator...whoops...but seriously, don't take up the whole width of the escalator) only to find that they hadn't started boarding yet and FI had texted me like 3 minutes earlier. I was almost in tears because I thought I was going to miss our flight and there wasn't another flight that evening.

When they finally got around to boarding our flight, the gate attendant looked at my boarding pass and said "oh you were supposed to go through secondary screening". I told her that I had, they'd swabbed my hands and bags and all that crap. But apparently they were supposed to stamp my boarding pass! The TSA girl had just handed it back to me, no one else looked at it or told me it needed to be stamped or anything. So they had to call one of the security people down to the gate to do the whole swabbing thing again! FI and I ended up being the last people on the plane...I was THAT person who held up the flight. I was so annoyed and upset and it was just a bad time all around :( We left an hour late but the flight itself was fine. Except when we landed we found out that FI's golf clubs hadn't made it onto the flight, we had an hour line up for our rental car and then the highway was down to 1 lane. Seriously, WTF.

On the plus side we had 3 full days in Florida and the weather was perfect. The house his parents are renting for the month is ridiculously huge and really nice AND right across the street from the beach. Major win in my book. FSIL was a bit of a pill all weekend, but I'm learning to just ignore her terrible moods. We're going back down on Friday night and HOPEFULLY staying for most of next week. Fingers crossed the trip goes better this time lol

TL/DR: Getting from my office to the house in Florida was a shit show and the first thing we did was open a couple beers. But Florida was warm and not snowing like at home.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    geez, @lmcooper86.  I hope you were able to relax and enjoy your weekend after that!!
  • Options
    We're in a 'Winter Advisory' until 3PM today, so yup we have snow.

@LaPeanut1018 - you're ornaments came out cute!

@CocoBellaF - hope some of that ice melts soon!

@southernpeach89 - I love parenthood, I'm sad that it's the final season!!!

@Eilis1228 - I'm hoping to see Big Hero 6 this coming weekend!! I really wanted to go over the weekend, but my dog had other plans for me.

@peekaboo2011 - I like the dress in the picture, red is a good color for you!

@Imcooper86 - At least you had a good time in FL!!  Sorry you had an adventure just getting there!!

@Phira - can't wait to hear how everything went (hope we get a few sneak preview pictures too!!)

Friday I had to work late.  Friday/Saturday my dog kept chewing at his stomach and tail to the point that he totally broke his tail open and it was bleeding.  We gave him a bath Saturday (my other dog went to the groomer) and he still had a really really bad smell to him.  Sunday I decided after H was back from watching the football game with his family, he was going to go to the emergency vet because I was afraid of infection.  The emergency vet was not busy, said he was having a severe allergy issue and a pretty bad bacteria infection.  He was put on amoxicillian, prednisone and an allergy relief pill.  The vet said he should not be super itchy in 3 days, but until then, he's my little cone head.  I normally crate my dogs, but because of the cone, I didn't want to crate him, so I'm HOPING him and my other dog can behave themselves outside of the crate.  I gave my one benedryl (she's been a little itchy herself, but the groomer shaved her lots; so I think that's why) and then I gave my boy something to help settle him so he sleeps most of the day.

I didn't sleep much at all last night either.  I wanted H to have a good night sleep because he stayed up with the dogs most of the weekend and with the cone, my boy runs into things and is pretty noisy when he does, so I slept in the living room with the dogs.  They wanted to go potty in the middle of the night, and my cat peed right in front of me on a rubber mat!  She never uses the litterbox, but now that I see she's peeing upstairs, I'm super irate!!  I think I'm going to confine her to the basement/kitchen for the rest of her life (my other cat can jump the gate).

Sorry for my long confusing post about my pets - they're all just against me :o)

Anniversary
  • Options
    @Lmcooper86 sorry the flight down was so crazy but a weekend in FL sounds so worth it.

Anniversary

• Options
    Hi everyone.

I don't have the focus to read everyone else's posts today, so I am being a bad friend and I apologize in advance.

FI and I had good driving weather down to FFIL's place on Friday, which was a blessing. Saturday morning was his grandmother's funeral - it was a hard day. We went to FMIL's place after the service for a few hours and then drove back home. Yesterday was for football.

Random thoughts from the weekend:
    1.) FFIL and FSMIL put flannel sheets on our bed for Friday night. I'd never slept on flannel sheets before, but now I need a set. I already put one on our registry, and we're crossing our fingers.
    2.) Thank goodness for outlet malls. We got about a third of our Christmas shopping done after we left FMIL's place on Saturday.
    3.) Thank goodness we drove out of the dicey weather Saturday night. We hit a little ice down in a heavy trafficked area on the interstate and I was done with winter at that point.
  • Options
    @phira yay congrats!

Anniversary

• Options
    @lapeanut1018 - I LOVE the buffet! I can't wait to go find old pieces to decorate our house :) I also love the ornaments - I did that for a friend a couple years ago, and gave it to her with their card, and she adored it. I can't wait to do it with our own invites :)

@peekaboo2011 - that dress is gorgeous! And I'm obviously partial to the color ;) 

I worked all weekend, which was fine, but tiring. I really didn't want to get off the couch yesterday to come in for a basketball game, but I did it. Brady and Vi were both snuggled up with me on the couch, it was SO hard to leave. 

I met the floor guy at the house this morning, and they're getting started today! We'll be moving this weekend, YAY!! I can't wait to be in it :) 

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    I love working from home today!  I have the fireplace going and both dogs are softly snoring (ha!).  Bella will lay about an inch from the fire (on the brick) until she gets so hot, she has to go throw herself on the tile to cool off... and then she gets right back up on the fireplace again!  she is such a sweetie pie.  Baxter woke up just long enough to stretch, smack his lips a little bit, and go back to sleep.  they have such charmed lives!!
  • Options

@lapeanut1018, look at your being all crafty and fabulous! Your buffet looks awesome.

@peaseblossom55, *hugs*. I hope things get easier soon and you and your H start to feel better, but in the meantime it's OK to be sad and down.

@peakaboo2011, you look so pretty!

@futuremrshistorian, sorry you and Mr. H had a fight. :( I can only imagine how hard it is to have a good talk about stuff when you're not able to be face-to-face. I hope some good opportunities come his way soon as far as jobs.

@Dignity100, that sounds like chaos! I hope stuff with your furbabies settles down soon, that sounds rather tiring!

@KeptInStitches, flannel sheets are da BOMB. I hope you get some!

@Phira, yayyyyyyy, congratulations! Can't wait to hear your recap - and see the blue dress in all its glory, ahhhh!

I am super tired today but need to get it together; it's my last couple days before starting work.

Friday was berserk and just generally not the best day. I saw C (ex-BF, for those who weren't here for that cluster) for lunch. I don't even know why I've been trying to keep a friendship with this person; he is just inconsiderate and selfish and not worth my efforts anymore. So obviously lunch didn't go that well, haha. Then I had to run up to my new job for fingerprinting and other such things, and then back home (did I mention my commute is like 45 minutes in good traffic?) to try to sleep before my last shift at my old job. I got about an hour in - not my best.

But, my last shift was still super nice! My co-workers brought some snacks and balloons and cards, and we had a little mini-party. The patients were off the chain, but we still managed to have a nice time. I will miss them so much!

Saturday was mostly a day for sleeping. In the evening my mom, brother, and I went up to visit my aunt and uncle and their St. Bernard, who is four years old, has bone cancer, and will probably only live another two months or so. :( Other than walking with a limp, she actually seemed a lot like herself - friendly and vivacious and just very alive. It's hard to think that she is going through this. But at least she doesn't seem to be in pain, and it was so nice to see her and give her snuggles and treats.

We came home last night, got a couple groceries, and watched The Walking Dead. I love me some Carol and Daryl, and I actually like this new guy too (Noah?). I usually don't enjoy The Talking Dead, but I LOVED the lady who was on last night (can't remember her name).

Today I will eventually hit the library and do some more extensive grocery shopping for the next couple of weeks. Tonight a bunch of (former) co-workers and I are going to my favorite Mexican place for my "official" good-bye celebration. Am I spoiled or what??? I love them so much; I can't imagine a better work family.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards