Chit Chat

What are you all reading?

There may have been a similar thread recently, but I can't find it.  I'm an avid reader and really like just about any genre out there.  Most recently, I read the entire Harry Potter series (I had never read these before), "Infidel" - Ayaan Hirsi Ali, "Satanic Verses" - Salman Rushdie, and the first 2 books of the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett.  Now I'm fresh out of ideas for new books!  So:

What are you all reading right now?  What types of books do you normally read? What recommendations would you make?

Re: What are you all reading?

• I just started reading the Valley of the Dolls. I love me a good campy cult classic any day of the week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and the seven books after it. She is a terrific storyteller and has a good handle on history as well.
  • I'm normally a very avid reader, but these past few months I've been finding it very difficult to squeeze in reading time, both because I'm busy and because of some personal nonsense that makes me less inclined to read.

But right now I'm working my way through "To the Stars," with is George Takei's autobiography (pre-Internet Takei). I borrowed it from FI's coworker and I've had it forever, so I really need to finish it. I really like it though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I just finished White Oleander on audible and am waiting til I get another free credit before starting something else, so I'm up for ideas too. I was kind of meh on it. But recently I read The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds, Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, and A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and I really enjoyed all of those. They've all been rolling around in my head since reading them. 

Most of my reading is of textbooks, but my bioethics book is a pretty interesting and easy read at least. Also usually have some sort of how-to book I'm working on; right now I'm working on some books about sheepdog herding since I'm starting to do that. 
  • College killed my desire / ability to read for pleasure at all, but I've been really trying to read more lately. I love Vonnegut, so I picked up Hocus Pocus and I've been enjoying it when I find the time. FI had never read any Vonnegut, so he picked up Slaughterhouse-Five and now he's hooked, too. 

One of my all-time favorite books is Bunny Modern by David Bowman. 
  • Here is what I have read recently and liked:

All fall Down: Jennifer Weiner

The Cuckoo's Calling: Robert Galbrath ie the women who wrote harry potter

Orphan Train: Christina Something

Crazy Rich Asians: Kevin Kwan

Lobster Kings: Alexi Zentner

Identical: Scott Turow

And all the popular ones like Gone Girl, sharp objects, the Husbands Secret, Reconstructign Amelia, revenge wears prada, Goldfinch, etc

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I just started re-reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett, then I'll re-read Winter of the World, so everything's fresh in my mind for Edge of Eternity.  I'm so damn excited for this book but I didn't plan ahead enough to re-read the first two in the trilogy before it came out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• I just finished "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothuss. I'm debating if I want to start Outlander, The Brothers Cabal or read some manga on my to be read pile and wait for Waistcoats and Weaponry to arrive.

I usually read fiction, often with fantasy or sci-fi overtones. 

Anniversary
  • I just started re-reading Fall of Giants by Ken Follett, then I'll re-read Winter of the World, so everything's fresh in my mind for Edge of Eternity.  I'm so damn excited for this book but I didn't plan ahead enough to re-read the first two in the trilogy before it came out.
    I JUST saw that my library got the third one and it's on hold for me :)  I knew it would be soon so i re-read the others recently.  This has to be one of my favorite series/trilogies EVER. 
  • esstee33 said:
    College killed my desire / ability to read for pleasure at all, but I've been really trying to read more lately. I love Vonnegut, so I picked up Hocus Pocus and I've been enjoying it when I find the time. FI had never read any Vonnegut, so he picked up Slaughterhouse-Five and now he's hooked, too. 

One of my all-time favorite books is Bunny Modern by David Bowman. 
    I also have never read any Vonnegut, which is really hard to believe.  I never had to read if for a class and never thought to pick it up on my own.  Would you suggest Slaughterhouse as a good first one?
  • I just started on a re-read of Lev Grossman's "The Magicians" trilogy. I love it so much it kinda hurts, as a child who grew up obsessed with Narnia. Grossman's books aren't really fantasy in the expected sense or anything, they're really just literary in my opinion (and I'm one of those who doesn't usually touch sci-fi or fantasy) and they are so good. The very basic premise is that a super brilliant guy named Quentin gets accepted into what is pretty much Hogwarts for university but it's actually pretty awful most of the time. So he's learning magic but it is exactly the opposite of what you'd expect.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm reading right now  The Way of Serenity: finding peace and happiness in The Serenity Prayer.  by Fr Jonathan Morris..  It's a bit self-helpy, but I need that right now.

Eariler this year I read the Hunger Games books, as well as Mindy Kaling's biography, TIna Fey's biography, and Dad is Fat.
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited November 2014
    cafarrie said: esstee33 said: College killed my desire / ability to read for pleasure at all, but I've been really trying to read more lately. I love Vonnegut, so I picked up Hocus Pocus and I've been enjoying it when I find the time. FI had never read any Vonnegut, so he picked up Slaughterhouse-Five and now he's hooked, too. 
    One of my all-time favorite books is Bunny Modern by David Bowman.  I also have never read any Vonnegut, which is really hard to believe.  I never had to read if for a class and never thought to pick it up on my own.  Would you suggest Slaughterhouse as a good first one?
    Yes, definitely. It's a good intro into what his style is like, while also being accessible, relatively short, and entertaining. See also:
    Breakfast of Champions or Cat's Cradle. My favorite of his is Sirens of Titan, though. 
  • Crap, I should probably also admit that I also just read the latest Diana Gabaldon Outlander book. That might be a bit shameful but oh well.

I came back to also suggest Marisha Pessl's "Night Film", which came out this summer. Her first book, "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" was really enjoyable too but this one was, well, unputdownable. I carried it hiking in the mountains and was literally walking and reading at one point.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I usually read light stuff in the winter. Right now, I have a book about Kate Middleton, Julia Childs' My Life In France, and one of the Chelsea Handler books on my nightstand.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I am reading Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister for book club. Prior to that, I was reading The Private Lives of Impressionists by Sue Roe.
  • I love ALL THE BOOKS and I'm so excited to start some of these that you all suggested.  Also - i just saw this article about books to read if you liked "Friends" before it comes out on Netflix 1/1.  

Some look pretty good. 
  • I've been slacking lately. But this is what I read on our HM

Before I Go To Sleep - SJ Watson 
    A Hundred Summers - Beatriz Williams 
    The Paris Wife - Paula Mclain 

Next on my list:
    One Plus One - Jojo Moyes 
    The Scent of Rain and Lightening - Nancy Pickard 
    Orphan Train - Christina Baker Cline 
  • The most recent books I've read were the Harry Potter series, the first book of The Hunger Games, and right now I'm rereading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde since I haven't read it since I was a kid and it was free in the Kindle store. I normally read classics and nonfiction but I'm really picky when it comes to nonfiction.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • FiancB said:
    I just finished White Oleander on audible and am waiting til I get another free credit before starting something else, so I'm up for ideas too. I was kind of meh on it. But recently I read The Rapture of Canaan by Sheri Reynolds, Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, and A Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood and I really enjoyed all of those. They've all been rolling around in my head since reading them. 

Most of my reading is of textbooks, but my bioethics book is a pretty interesting and easy read at least. Also usually have some sort of how-to book I'm working on; right now I'm working on some books about sheepdog herding since I'm starting to do that. 
    Love all that you mentioned! I haven't read The Rapture of Canaan in yeeeears, but it really, really stuck with me the first time. Makes me want to re-read it now!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I want to read Gone Girl because I want to watch the movie but I'm one of those "must read the book before watching the movie" kind of people... but the library has it on hold 99 times and that's their hold limit. :(
  • I'm about to start reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Some of the ladies in my book group have been talking about it for years now so we're finally reading it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• If you like true crime novels, you should look into Columbine by Dave Cullen. I was too young to understand Columbine when it happened, but now that I've read books on it and have really researched it, it hits HARD.

This book is amazing, but it made me cry.
  • I read The Maze Runner series this summer and really loved it. It's YA dystopian but with a male protagonist so it's definitely different from HG and Divergent.

I also read We Need to Talk About Kevin recently. It deals with dark subject matter but was really well written.

• ....Pretty much just TK!

My dog trainer today assigned me this little book called "Teaching Fido to Learn to Earn."

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• I just started reading Jill Mansell's Take a Chance on Me. Sometimes all I want is a cheesy romance.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm currently reading "Mona Lisa:  A Life Discovered" by Dianne Hales.  I will read almost anything except romance novels and comic books.
  • I re-read a lot. Fried Green Tomatoes, The Poisonwood Bible, Memoirs of a Geisha, are generally my go-to books.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• beethery said:
    I re-read a lot. Fried Green Tomatoes, The Poisonwood Bible, Memoirs of a Geisha, are generally my go-to books.
    I wrote my senior thesis on Fried Green Tomatoes. :) 
  • beethery said:
    I re-read a lot. Fried Green Tomatoes, The Poisonwood Bible, Memoirs of a Geisha, are generally my go-to books.

esstee33 said:
    beethery said:
    I wrote my senior thesis on Fried Green Tomatoes. :) 

The movie is one of my favorites. I have never read the book! Guess I know what I am asking H for Christmas.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards