Chit Chat

What are you all reading?

Re: What are you all reading?

• beethery said:
    I re-read a lot. Fried Green Tomatoes, The Poisonwood Bible, Memoirs of a Geisha, are generally my go-to books.

esstee33 said:
    beethery said:
    I re-read a lot. Fried Green Tomatoes, The Poisonwood Bible, Memoirs of a Geisha, are generally my go-to books.
    I wrote my senior thesis on Fried Green Tomatoes. :) 

The movie is one of my favorites. I have never read the book! Guess I know what I am asking H for Christmas.
    Heads up so you're not confused as fuck: the book is very, very different from the movie. 
  • @esstee33--Thanks for that! I am really excited to read it now!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've never read that either!!!  My goodness, i read all the time - I can't believe i'm missing all these. 
  • Right now I'm reading "The Book of Life" by Deborah Harkness. I don't know what to read next though. I have a ton of books on my Kindle I need to read though.
  • I just finished "The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin for a book club that I just joined and really enjoyed it.  Their next pick is "A Study in Revenge" by Kiernan Shields but I haven't started that one yet.
    Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:

I just finished "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothuss. I'm debating if I want to start Outlander, The Brothers Cabal or read some manga on my to be read pile and wait for Waistcoats and Weaponry to arrive.

I usually read fiction, often with fantasy or sci-fi overtones. 

I totally recommend "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss! I can't wait for the third book to come out! It's like Game of Thrones though waiting for the next book... Forever!

I'm reading "Rhett Butler's People" right now per suggestion of one of you ladies, and I finished "Scarlett" not too long ago and was obsessed with it. Need to watch me some Gone With The Wind now.

image   image   image

• I just finished The Exorsict, very scary! I'm in the middle of a few of Mary Higgins Clark's, Horns by Joe Hill, and a Holocaust memior. I juggle books!
  • beethery said:

esstee33 said:
    beethery said:
    I wrote my senior thesis on Fried Green Tomatoes. :) 

The movie is one of my favorites. I have never read the book! Guess I know what I am asking H for Christmas.

SITB

Me too!
  • I just finished "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothuss. I'm debating if I want to start Outlander, The Brothers Cabal or read some manga on my to be read pile and wait for Waistcoats and Weaponry to arrive.

I totally recommend "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss! I can't wait for the third book to come out! It's like Game of Thrones though waiting for the next book... Forever! I'm reading "Rhett Butler's People" right now per suggestion of one of you ladies, and I finished "Scarlett" not too long ago and was obsessed with it. Need to watch me some Gone With The Wind now.
    Guuuurrrllllll. I've re read Gone With the Wind 70000000 times. Perfection.
  • I just finished "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothuss. I'm debating if I want to start Outlander, The Brothers Cabal or read some manga on my to be read pile and wait for Waistcoats and Weaponry to arrive.

I totally recommend "The Name of the Wind" and "The Wise Man's Fear" by Patrick Rothfuss! I can't wait for the third book to come out! It's like Game of Thrones though waiting for the next book... Forever! I'm reading "Rhett Butler's People" right now per suggestion of one of you ladies, and I finished "Scarlett" not too long ago and was obsessed with it. Need to watch me some Gone With The Wind now.
    It's always on TV on Thanksgiving!  TCM network, I think?  I absolutely love it, and I am incredibly disappointed in myself for not catching it at the Fox a couple months ago.

I love/hate these threads.  I love to read, and I have read a lot of the classics, but I am not hip to new literature at all.  I think most of the books I read now are like the equivalent of bad TV, haha.  (Think: a shitload of James Patterson)

FMIL gave me that Outlander book, but I couldn't get into it at all.

• I hear really really good things about Outlander - that is next on my list. Gonna try to get it on my Nook from the library before I start spending money.

image   image   image

• I hear really really good things about Outlander - that is next on my list. Gonna try to get it on my Nook from the library before I start spending money.

I love the Outlander books.
  • I'm always late to the party, so currently reading the Game of Thrones series.

Yes to Slaughterhouse 5. A million times yes. This should be required reading for a How to Be A Good Human Being 101. (One of the greatest experiences of my life was meeting Kurt Vonnegut Jr., and stealing his ink pen. I thought it might have some kind of mystical writing magic in it. Failing that, a good conversation piece.)

The Divine Secerets of the YaYa Sisterhood is always a good read. All the Ken Follett series. Amy Tan (Joy Luck Club) rocks.

I love re-reading. People sometimes question this, but it's no different than listening to your favorite music over and over. 
  • I'm making my way through A Cook's Tour by Anthony Bourdain.

• I'm a huge sci-fi fantasy person and love anything that's a series usually. I recently read this random trilogy that I had never heard of called the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia, that was recommended by a friend.

It was a pretty easy, light read but just came out of nowhere with how fantastic it was. It's about people with magical powers, obviously, but is a really unique take on where magic comes from and how it is used. It's also set in the 1920s-30s so it's like gangsters with magic. It's pretty cool. Don't let the abysmal cover art dissuade you. Seriously, it's bad. Just a recommendation for all my fellow sci-fi/fantasy peeps. 
  • I am currently reading L'ile des Gauchers by Alexandre Jardin. It's funny and need to finish it. Soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well, I'm about to blow you all out of the water because I'M reading Assessing Families and Couples: From Symptoms to Systems by Salvador Minuchin. The life of a therapist leaves me little time for fun books :(

A few weeks ago I read January First by Michael Schofield. It's written by a man whose very young daughter is diagnosed with early-onset schizophrenia, which is already super controversial, but then there's also some reports that came out about the family that he may have abused his daughter which could have been linked to some of her symptoms. It's really, really interesting for anyone who's curious about living with someone with severe mental illness.

Also, I'm not dismissing the abuse allegations because that is serious to me, but I read the book before I heard about the allegations and it was a really good read.
    Anniversary

• @porkchops926 Have you heard of Monster Hunters? Its Larry Correia's other series. It deals with werewolves and vampires and of course other supernatural things. So good. I borrowed it from a friend so I don't remember too much about it besides what i mentioned above.
  • The last book I read was Someday, Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham. I loved it. It was a fun, light read and I actually laughed out loud in some parts. I'm waiting for more books around Christmas time. V and I have a gift list and I have several books on there.
  • I read and loved The Hundred-Year Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonasson, and I bought his next one (The Girl who Saved the King of Sweden) but haven't read it yet.  There's also another one along those lines (The Little Old Lady Who Broke All the Rules).

If you're into non-fiction that makes you feel smart for reading it, I really like Malcolm Gladwell's books.  And my Kobo is full of classics.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Well, I'm about to blow you all out of the water because I'M reading Assessing Families and Couples: From Symptoms to Systems by Salvador Minuchin. The life of a therapist leaves me little time for fun books :(

A few weeks ago I read January First by Michael Schofield. It's written by a man whose very young daughter is diagnosed with early-onset schizophrenia, which is already super controversial, but then there's also some reports that came out about the family that he may have abused his daughter which could have been linked to some of her symptoms. It's really, really interesting for anyone who's curious about living with someone with severe mental illness.

Also, I'm not dismissing the abuse allegations because that is serious to me, but I read the book before I heard about the allegations and it was a really good read.
    Yes! A fellow therapist! I have studied minuchin and I love him. :-)

And I loooove the premise of the other book you mentioned. Just added it to my amazon wish list!
    imageimage">
  • I'm re-reading the Ton Clancy Jack Ryan books in order.   I'm currently on Debt of Honour.  I also re-read the last 2-3 Outlanders before the new one came out, and also the first one before the TV series started.  

I've got the Ken Follett trilogy ready to go.  He's one of my favourite authors and I haven't read anything since the first book in the trilogy so I wouldn't have to wait and wait.  Well, they're finally all published and miss reading his stuff.  

I've got a ton of new stuff to start, I just need to find more time.  

• edited November 2014
    Well, I'm about to blow you all out of the water because I'M reading Assessing Families and Couples: From Symptoms to Systems by Salvador Minuchin. The life of a therapist leaves me little time for fun books :(

Yes! A fellow therapist! I have studied minuchin and I love him. :-) And I loooove the premise of the other book you mentioned. Just added it to my amazon wish list!
    Therapists UNITE!!! 
    Minuchin is great! And the book JF is really, really good, but it's sad. Schofield did a great job conveying what he and his wife went through (and are still going through) in dealing with their daughter's (Jani) MI, especially because she posed such a great risk to herself and to their other young child. PM me when you read it, I'd love to chat about it!
    Anniversary

• I want to read Gone Girl because I want to watch the movie but I'm one of those "must read the book before watching the movie" kind of people... but the library has it on hold 99 times and that's their hold limit. :(
    You're totally fine to watch the movie before reading the book.  Gillian Flynn wrote the screenplay too, so it's very accurate.  I read the book first, but I don't think it's a must in this case.  It has some brilliant passages with really dead-on insight about relationships, which the movie doesn't have time to cover, so just make sure you read it eventually.
  • Currently, I'm re-reading the Song of Ice and Fire Series.  After that, it's on to Outlander.  I read the first book and it took me 3 tries of reading some of it, then setting it down, then picking it back up again to push through the beginning but after that, I totally fell in love with it.  So, I'll re-read the first book and then start picking up all the others.  
  • @briscoe1031 I mean to read it because I heard it was awesome, so yes. That's definitely on my list. I'm currently reading ALL the Sherlock Holmes stories since I've never read them and felt that I had to after watching the show. So that takes a while...
  • 100 years of solitude.  Gabriel Garcia Marquez always takes a while for me to warm up to him. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• beethery said:
    This is my favorite book of all time. I'm talking more than Harry Potter, and I never though I would love a book more than HP. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygaga said:
    beethery said:
    This is my favorite book of all time. I'm talking more than Harry Potter, and I never though I would love a book more than HP. 
    That book got me into Japanese culture BIG TIME. It's (obviously) not accurate about a lot of geisha things, but as a 15-year-old it inspired me to read about historical stuff from that culture, and really get into their artwork.

You might like these books:

Geisha by Liza Dalby (CLICK)
    Geisha, A Life by Mineko Iwasaki (CLICK) Iwasaki is actually the retired geiko that Arthur Golden interviewed to get information for Memoirs.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Has anyone read Paper Love yet by Sarah Wildman?
    It looks great and is next on my list but haven't had the chance to pick it up yet.

Also, this is a bit off the topic, but what ever happened with the TK monthly Book Club?
    There have been so many great suggestions here - maybe we should get that going again. Who was in charge of it last time? I think it was lolo?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards