Budget Weddings Forum

Friday or Sunday?

edited November 2014 in Budget Weddings Forum
--EDIT-- Original text removed. I've settled on a date and no longer wish to receive feedback. Thank you for your advice and support.

Re: Friday or Sunday?

• If you do it on Sunday, you should have an earlier event. Check with your VIPs what would be best for them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sunday is great for a more casual brunch or afternoon affair. Friday night is better for PARTY PARTY PARTY.

Anniversary
  • edited June 2015
  • edited November 2014
    Ditto pink. If it's Friday, I'd prefer a 7 or 8:00 ceremony so I don't have to take time off work. Sunday, I'd love a brunch wedding. The inconvenience of a 4 or 5:00 Friday ceremony outweighs the sleeping in on Saturday aspect.

Edited cuz one extra word totally changed what I meant.

• Something else to consider: if the majority of your guests are out of town, do they live far enough away that they'd have to take a vacation day to travel to your wedding on a Friday?

For me personally I wouldn't take a vacation day for anyone's wedding except for a parent or sibling. I would check with any out of town VIPs that would need to travel far if you decide on a Friday.

Formerly martha1818

• chibiyui said:

Sunday is great for a more casual brunch or afternoon affair. Friday night is better for PARTY PARTY PARTY.

Ditto this. Sunday would be great for a brunch wedding. If you do Friday, you'd have to do a late ceremony and even later reception. As a guest, I'd rather attend a brunch wedding.
    *********************************************************************************

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    Brunch weddings don't have to be casual.  They can be very elegant with silver, crystal and china.  We got a great deal on a brunch package from a country club that was near the church.  It was less than half the cost of their dinner prices.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Sunday evening can also work too, ceremony at 4, reception done by 9. I often go to Jewish friends weddings on Sunday nights and people are still happy to dance and celebrate, but tend to call it a night earlier.
  • I agree with PPs.

If you're doing a Friday wedding push it back.  Have a 7:30 - 8:00 pm ceremony and then have a kickin' heavy hors d'ouerves and cocktail reception.  Depending on how far away you are from me I don't have to take any time off or just a half day max.  

If you're doing it Sunday, have it earlier in the day for a brunch or late lunch reception.  Unless I had to fly to get there I wouldn't have to take any time off of work at all and I can still stay at the reception for several hours.

Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • If you do Friday, try to have a later wedding. That will give people time to get off work and not feel like they have to rush at breakneck speeds to the ceremony. Consider a cocktail kind of reception.

If you go with Sunday, it will have to be an earlier, more relaxed wedding, as people will want to get home at a reasonable time. A brunch-style wedding would be better than the traditional time frame around dinner.

So do you want an early, more laid-back wedding or a late night, party party party wedding?

I second this, but like another PP said, talk to VIP. Another thing to check into, will your other vendors like your florist and hair stylist. Those are normally days off for them. I know vendors like DJ's, Photographers & limos have no issue doing Sundays, but some florist and hair stylist might.
  • I love Sunday events.  By Friday night, I'm exhausted from working all week.  By Sunday, I've had Saturday to work a little, recharge, and I'm ready to do something fun.  Hubby and I always do something cool for #sundayfunday--might be my favorite day of the week.  Bonus points for Sundays that involve day drinking.  Two or three Bloody Marys or mimosas around 1:00 and I'm ready to have a great time.  And by the evening, it's worn off and I don't have to worry about having a headache the next day.
  • I prefer a Friday wedding. But if it had to be Sunday, I'd rather go early Sunday. 

I also wish someone I know would have a brunch wedding. Maybe I should just have a do-over. 
  • Thanks for all your responses, ladies! Much to think about... hmmm. I'm not in love with the idea of a brunch/midday wedding, so perhaps Friday would be best!
  • I'm having a Sunday evening wedding. I don't know if people will leave early. I'm thinking most won't simply because 75% of our guest list doesn't live in the state and so they wouldn't be able to go home that night anyway. I do think we'll have more declines because of the day and the timing but my VIPs are already planning on taking the day after the wedding off so I'm hopeful that it will still be a Party atmosphere.
  • Sunday works if there is a 3 day weekend happening. Keep in mind some places may not be open on Sundays if you are renting something or picking up certain last min things.
  • I've been to three Friday weddings and I've found them to be the best - so much I'm getting married on a Friday! You'll have all weekend to spend with your family afterwards, you could do a lovely Saturday Morning brunch as well. And stuff tends to be cheaper :) also, if you're an after party kind of gal, we're planning a bar crawl after our reception (complete with DD) which I think people are more excited about. I think Fridays are more for people that enjoy large parties/drinking and Sundays are for those that don't care either way.

• Sunday works if there is a 3 day weekend happening. Keep in mind some places may not be open on Sundays if you are renting something or picking up certain last min things.
    The surest way to get me to decline is to have a Sunday wedding right smack in the middle of a three-day weekend. I hate when people do that.

Also, lots of venues are hip to the holiday workaround, so they sometimes charge the Saturday rate on the Friday/Sunday of a holiday weekend.
    edited November 2014
    Thanks for all your responses, ladies! Much to think about... hmmm. I'm not in love with the idea of a brunch/midday wedding, so perhaps Friday would be best!
    I am confused.  You said that you are scheduling Friday or Sunday due to budget constraints.  Why are you choosing to have the most expensive form of wedding?  Dinner receptions cost twice what a formal brunch reception costs - more if you are having alcohol.  Dinner receptions are not traditional, either.  They have only been fashionable since the 1970s.  Is it the tuxedos that you are set on having?  That is the only difference.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
    Be careful with this, as some venues will charge you the price of a Saturday wedding on holiday weekends.

My FI and I did some asking around amongst our local friends, family, and OOT guests. The consensus was in favor of a Friday--people were more willing to take a half day on Friday rather than leaving the reception early on a Sunday night (early/mid-day ceremony and reception is not our cup of tea). And by having our wedding on a Friday night, people still have their whole weekend free. Our OOT guests can do some sight-seeing in San Francisco and don't have to hurry back to the airport the next day to catch a flight.
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I prefer a Friday wedding. But if it had to be Sunday, I'd rather go early Sunday. 

I also wish someone I know would have a brunch wedding. Maybe I should just have a do-over. 
    I'll come to your do-over brunch wedding.

• We found the perfect date at the perfect venue--Sunday October 11, the day before Columbus Day! And the venue won't charge extra for the holiday. It'll be just like getting married on a Saturday!

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated!! <3 

• CMGragain said:
    Thanks for all your responses, ladies! Much to think about... hmmm. I'm not in love with the idea of a brunch/midday wedding, so perhaps Friday would be best!
    I am confused.  You said that you are scheduling Friday or Sunday due to budget constraints.  Why are you choosing to have the most expensive form of wedding?  Dinner receptions cost twice what a formal brunch reception costs - more if you are having alcohol.  Dinner receptions are not traditional, either.  They have only been fashionable since the 1970s.  Is it the tuxedos that you are set on having?  That is the only difference.
    We're planning an evening wedding because that is our preference. We don't like the idea of brunch weddings. Are we not entitled to have a preference just because we're on a budget? We're making it work, within our budget! Sorry if you can't wrap your head around that! We're skimping on other things to make up for the more expensive meals... for example, we have friends and family who are willing to do things like flower arrangements, photography, hair and makeup, etc for free/cheap. And the venue we're using is very low cost and flexible. They don't have a site fee at all--everything is included in plate price, which is also very low compared to other venues I've viewed. Just because we're on a low budget doesn't mean we have to sacrifice the night of our lives that we dreamed of...
  • lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014

CMGragain said:

We're planning an evening wedding because that is our preference. We don't like the idea of brunch weddings. Are we not entitled to have a preference just because we're on a budget? We're making it work, within our budget! Sorry if you can't wrap your head around that! We're skimping on other things to make up for the more expensive meals... for example, we have friends and family who are willing to do things like flower arrangements, photography, hair and makeup, etc for free/cheap. And the venue we're using is very low cost and flexible. They don't have a site fee at all--everything is included in plate price, which is also very low compared to other venues I've viewed. Just because we're on a low budget doesn't mean we have to sacrifice the night of our lives that we dreamed of...

***************No Boxes**************

Using friends and family as free labor is NOT an appropriate way to save money on your wedding.

Formerly martha1818

• I think it depends on what kind of atmosphere you want for your wedding. We have been to lots of Friday weddings- one plus to that day is even though many people will take off work or take a half day off, you can still have a Friday evening wedding with a party atmosphere. Sunday weddings people do not have to take off work, but you should have it earlier, like in the afternoon (if its an evening wedding, expect lots of people to leave early) and therefore you'll have less of a party atmosphere.

• CMGragain said:
    ***************No Boxes************** Using friends and family as free labor is NOT an appropriate way to save money on your wedding.
    Um, why not? They offered to do it. We didn't ask them. When your friends and family love you and want to help you, why is that a bad thing? And we're obviously going to offer them compensation, even if they don't want to take it. 
  • We found the perfect date at the perfect venue--Sunday October 11, the day before Columbus Day! And the venue won't charge extra for the holiday. It'll be just like getting married on a Saturday!

Thanks for all your input, much appreciated!! <3 
    With all due respect, no. Sunday before a holiday is not like a Saturday. Many people still have work, and travelling on 3 day weekends is hell.

Best of luck.

Anniversary
  • I considered this at first until I realized that both the venue I wanted as well as my top choice caterer both charged the same for fridays and saturdays, so you might double check and see if some of the places you are looking at actually do charge more for saturdays.  I kept hearing that fridays and sundays were better for budget too but it turned out it wouldn't make a single bit of difference so make sure.  Also, if you really would like a saturday maybe it's worth shopping around for places that don't charge a premium for them.

If it does turn out to be cheaper for you to do a fri/sun I would personally vote for a friday.  It might be different depending on your guests and well as the size of your wedding but for me it was a no brainer.  We are having a small wedding of around 45 people so everyone coming is close enough family/friends that I knew no one was likely to turn down the invite just because they would have to take a day off.  If you are inviting more like 200 people you may have people more likely to bail on you for that and you'll need to think about how much that matters to you.

On the flip side of that, while I knew people weren't likely to turn us down over having to take a day off work I also knew that many (esp my fiances family) would not take a day off if they didn't have to.  This meant that if we did it on a sunday I just KNEW that they would leave super early in order to get home for work the next day.  His family all live in a town about 2 hours away from us so I am betting that most of them won't want to stay the night and will leave a little early to drive home anyhow, but if it were a work night I knew they'd all be calculating in their heads that they wanted to be in bed by 10, with a 2 hour drive puts them at 8, plus time to get ready for bed and cushion time is 7.  Theres no way most of them would stay past dinner.  I would end up with an empty dance floor and no one to eat my cake.

Anyhoo, for me it was an easy call because at least with a friday I would know they HAD to take the day off and then they would just be able to relax rather than looking at their watches all night.

Plus, I had my heart set on an afterparty.  Since we are only inviting a few people I figured a great way to get to celebrate with more of our friends would be to invite them to the afterparty.  Our venue is in an urban area with a bunch of bars and things nearby so we are just going to tell folks to meet up with us around 10 when the reception should be winding down and then we can walk the couple short blocks to where one of my favorite bars is and keep the celebration going!  Not so much an option on a sunday evening.
    edited November 2014

CMGragain said:
    So your wedding vision is more important to you than the convenience of your friends and family?  More important than the convenience of your guests?  OK.  I can't help you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Lol, please don't respond to my posts anymore. We clearly don't see eye to eye. You haven't had a positive thing to say on any of my posts. Buh bye.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards