Chit Chat

Wedding vision

I keep reading that brides have a "wedding vision".  I don't get it.  At my daughter's wedding, she decided that guests were the most important thing to her.  She would rather have inexpensive invitations, flowers, cake, and time of day (morning ceremony) than to cut her guest list.  There was no magic vision in her mind, except she insisted on a church wedding.
How many of you ladies had a wedding vision?  Did you achieve it?  What cuts did you have to make?
httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg

Re: Wedding vision

• Not getting married anytime in the foreseeable future, but I know the colours I have in mind and overall feel (ie. formality, decor, size of guest list).  
  • I had one and didn't have to make any cuts to achieve it. The day was exactly what we wanted.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • beethery said:
    Yeah. Big drunk dance party with good food, tons of booze, handheld serious business confetti poppers, and good music.

As long as everyone shows up, shouldn't be an issue. Confetti poppers are getting purchased in a couple weeks.

I had to forgo the champagne bottle-shaped poppers for regular ones so that I would not feel like a dick about the cost efficiency of radness.
    I am sad I didn't think of confetti poppers. Although I'm not sure my venue allowed confetti...

I had a similar vision. All of my friends and family having a great time partying. Plus lots of candles and fresh cut flowers. I got all of it. 
    Anniversary

• I always wanted a beach wedding.  So in that aspect, yes I had a vision.      We both assumed we would have a full dinner, open bar  and dancing.   So again, yes we had a vision.

I was living in the virgin islands when I got  married.  I could have easily had the wedding there.  I had been living there for 10 years, owned a waterfront condo.  It was clearly our home.   We choose a beach in South Jersey to make it easier for our guests.  Beaches and water are totally different.   

Who attended was VERY important to us.  While it was still 2-4 hours away from most of our guests, it was much easier to get to and way less expensive then going to the islands.

We did not have to compromise on how we hosted the event.  The only compromise we would have made was location.   Full, open bar and dancing are affordable at any budget.

We invited 174 people and 145 came.   Even with the hurricane hitting South Jersey that day and not the islands I do not regret my choice at all.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • penguin44 said:
    beethery said:
    Yeah. Big drunk dance party with good food, tons of booze, handheld serious business confetti poppers, and good music.

As long as everyone shows up, shouldn't be an issue. Confetti poppers are getting purchased in a couple weeks.

I had to forgo the champagne bottle-shaped poppers for regular ones so that I would not feel like a dick about the cost efficiency of radness.
    I am sad I didn't think of confetti poppers. Although I'm not sure my venue allowed confetti...

I had a similar vision. All of my friends and family having a great time partying. Plus lots of candles and fresh cut flowers. I got all of it. 
    My venue doesn't have carpet anywhere so I'm just going to be going nuts with a push broom post-party. Going to tape one of those big industrial trashbags to the top step leading onto that floor and just run everything into it.

I gotta remember to get my fake tea lights soon. My OG vision included real candles (because they're cheaper) but the fire marshal CRUSHED MY DREEEEAAAAAMMMMMM.

Oh well, LED candles will do.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Our vision was to get married at a little B&B on one of the islands off the BC coast in the spring with all our close friends and family. Most of our friends and all of our family live across the country. With two VIPs in late pregnancy and 2 other VIPs unable to fly for other reasons we changed our location to my hometown. Our lovely spring wedding didn't happen because of an unusually long winter. All our friends and family were there though.

Anniversary
  • I have one, and so far it seems acheivable... I booked a more "rustic" venue (not burlap and lace, but gorgeous wood beams type) and I want a nice "fall themed" day... The biggest part of this vision is the seated meal with ample booze for all those important to enjoy before we dance though!
  • I've never had a vision in my life and I'm not starting now. I got as far as "maybe I imagine a regular officiant and not Elvis," and other than that as long as everyone is full of food and booze I'm happy.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think everyone has some form of a vision when they start planning their wedding. That is pretty normal.
  • steph861steph861 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    The word "vision" makes me want to vomit. I don't think there's anything wrong with knowing what you want*, but when I hear that particular word all I can think of are bratty SSs.

*I think most brides (myself included) have some sort of vision. It's the word I dislike, not the concept (though I dislike the word because it makes me think of people who take the concept too far).

• Seriously, my vision is that all my guests have a great time. They'll have good food, good music, and good drinks. Plenty of it. And they won't have to open their wallets for a thing. I even booked a trolley to go from the hotel to the venue and back so that they can drink without worrying about driving if that's what they wanna do.

My vision is that it's a big fun party for everyone, and that everyone feels welcome and well taken care of. When you're at my party (whether it's 20 ppl for a bbq, 10 ppl for our Halloween costume shindig, or 120 ppl for our wedding day) you're my cherished guest, and you are going to feel as loved and appreciated as you truly are, via expensive vodka and delicious food, and comfort, and enjoyment. If you all have a good time, then I have a good time, and then it's a fucking awesome day. Fuck flowers and decorations and all that other nonsense, that crap plays second fiddle to the important shit.

Stepping down off my soap box now.
  • Our biggest "vision" was to have a Catholic wedding to start our marriage in prayer. And a joy-filled day that included laughter and love. Our "vision" and the comfort of our guests were not mutually exclusive.
  • My vision is that my FI and I get married, it's classy and elegant and everyone gets drunk enough that classy and elegant doesn't matter
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I guess I kind of have one, afternoon garden party. But I didn't go all out to make the wedding fit my "vision" or even have that idea going into it. We picked the venue, the time of day and planned all the major things (with guests in mind of course) and then realized that's what it's going to be like...so now I'm picking out details to fit into that vision.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• My vision is to have the ceremony in the streetcar by the lake, and that everyone has a great time :)
  • I had a vision of celebrating with our families and being on the dance floor for the whole night, which did happen! I also had a vision of how I wanted my dress to look with my hair and veil...but that did not happen so much. It could've with the wig I'd gotten, but my vision of wanting to dance and not worry about the wig slipping or getting itchy trumped my vision of the perfect look. And I think the look I ended up with was pretty darn perfect after all :)
  • We wanted dancing and we wanted outdoors.  We ended up getting married in December in Alaska, so outdoors was out of the question. (It was -15ish on our wedding day, but yes, we still took a few photos outside, just us.)  And we couldn't afford a second venue for our reception, and the church we got married in didn't allow dancing, so we didn't have dancing.
  • Classy but fun, and to make sure my guests were well taken care of, of course. I think of it more as a "vibe" than a vision.
  • Our vision was throwing a party that ends up being one of those weddings people remember as really fun and where they felt well dined, boozed, musiced, danced, etc. We wanted really nice stuff, but a relaxed atmosphere that didn't feel stuffy. We still have people tell us it was one of the best weddings they've been to, that it was an awesome party, that the food was great, etc. Comments like that from our guests WERE our vision, so it feels really good when we hear that. Really what saved the day is that none of my BMs had hot pink hair.

Yeah, you were lucky there!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I think every couple has a vision. We certainly did. The whole vision thing has gotten a bad rep because of SS that like to use it to dictate things like the same hairdo for their brideslaves and no seating at their ceremony.

Our vision was having a great day at our gorgeous venue with our loved ones, with lots of food and alcohol and dancing. My vision included getting married in the gardens and thankfully the weather cooperated. If the weather had been cold or raining, oh well for the vision!
  • I think every couple has a vision. We certainly did. The whole vision thing has gotten a bad rep because of SS that like to use it to dictate things like the same hairdo for their brideslaves and no seating at their ceremony.

Our vision was having a great day at our gorgeous venue with our loved ones, with lots of food and alcohol and dancing. My vision included getting married in the gardens and thankfully the weather cooperated. If the weather had been cold or raining, oh well for the vision!

And if you had forced your guests to suffer through an outdoor ceremony in the rain, it would have been because you were a horrible person, not because you had a vision.

And if you had forced your guests to suffer through an outdoor ceremony in the rain, it would have been because you were a horrible person, not because you had a vision.
    Exactly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards