Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Does officiant get an invitation to the reception?

Forgive my naiveté, but do I invite my officiant to the reception? The answer would be a clear yes if it were a close family friend or church contact, but what if it's a non-denominational person you've hired? Someone that you've only gotten to know just well enough to put together a ceremony?

Re: Does officiant get an invitation to the reception?

• Options

It depends. Do you view this person as a vendor? If so, then no you dont need to invite them. They are hired to perform a service, thats it.

But if you have the room in your budget, I think its a nice gesture. We invited our Pastor.  He declined.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    On top of what Katwag said, I think the day's logistics impact it too. Our ceremony and reception were in the same spot, so I couldn't not invite my officiant to stay for cocktail hour and dinner. I think it would have been tacky to be like, "Ok thanks bye!" The other vendors were being fed as they worked through the reception, and since my officiant's duties were over we sat him and his wife at a table with family members.  

• Options
    KatWAG said:

It depends. Do you view this person as a vendor? If so, then no you dont need to invite them. They are hired to perform a service, thats it.

But if you have the room in your budget, I think its a nice gesture. We invited our Pastor.  He declined.

Same here. I agree that it's a nice gesture. 

• Options
    We invited our officiant. She was so wonderful to work with and I knew that she was doing another wedding right before ours, with no time in between to grab a real meal and rest. She was incredibly appreciative of the invite and H's family loved her (we sat her at a table with a bunch of his aunts).
  • Options
    KatWAG said:

Ditto this.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    KatWAG said:

Ditto this.
    Agreed. Also: I've been at weddings where the B&G invited the officiant, but not the officiant's SO. Not nice. Poor guy ate and ran. If you're going to invite them as a guest, you need to treat them like a guest and include their SO.
  • Options
    We did not.  He was just a paid vendor to us  just like the ceremony musicians.

Had they had been a person of the cloth or someone we had personally known we would have.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    We invited our priest verbally (multiple times) but did not send a formal invite.  We planned on him coming, and he came for cocktail hour but didn't stay for dinner. 
  • Options
    We didn't; we didn't know her before the wedding and treated her like another vendor.  
    Anniversary

• Options
    acaton5 said:
    KatWAG said:

Ditto this.
    Agreed. Also: I've been at weddings where the B&G invited the officiant, but not the officiant's SO. Not nice. Poor guy ate and ran. If you're going to invite them as a guest, you need to treat them like a guest and include their SO.
    This is true. We did invite our Pastor's wife as well.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    KatWAG said:
    acaton5 said:
    KatWAG said:

Ditto this.
    This is true. We did invite our Pastor's wife as well.
    As did we. She was actually supposed to come and run the sound system for the ceremony... and didn't show up. At least he did though, so we made do. :-p 

• Options
    We did not invite our officiant. He was wonderful, but he was a vendor that we did not know before the wedding. How close are you to your officiant?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    If you have a personal relationship with him or her beyond their being your officiant, maybe. But if s/he is simply your officiant and you have no other relationship with them beyond that, then it isn't required.
  • Options
    Thanks for all your replies, everyone. Our officiant is a minister whom I'd never met before the wedding, but she has some connections to my stepmother, so I suppose she is not really an anonymous vendor. I have yet to solidify whether or not she expects to be compensated for the ceremony. I will invite her (especially if she refuses payment!), but I feel a little less strange after reading your responses and seeing that this is a normal thing to do. I'll offer it to her verbally next time we meet. Based on what you all are saying, I guess I extend the invitation to her spouse too (whom I know nothing about)?
  • Options
    Our officiant was an acquaintance of my grandmother's so we invited him to the reception, but he declined. I think it's a nice gesture. 
  • Options
    acaton5 said:

KatWAG said:

Ditto this.

----
    We didn't have to worry about this since our officiant was a Catholic priest :)
  • Options

Thanks for all your replies, everyone. Our officiant is a minister whom I'd never met before the wedding, but she has some connections to my stepmother, so I suppose she is not really an anonymous vendor. I have yet to solidify whether or not she expects to be compensated for the ceremony. I will invite her (especially if she refuses payment!), but I feel a little less strange after reading your responses and seeing that this is a normal thing to do. I'll offer it to her verbally next time we meet. Based on what you all are saying, I guess I extend the invitation to her spouse too (whom I know nothing about)?

Yes, invite the spouse as well.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards