Chit Chat

Need some more advice

So my sister just contacted me asking that it just be me and my dog that join our family for Christmas. She does not want my SO to join us. She said that he made rude comments to her and her SO when they were over. To be honest, I know my SO and I know my sister and I am actually very offended by her request.

I love my sister but she is an extremely abrasive person. It is why I can only handle her in small doses. If your opinion does not align with hers whatsoever, like it has to be absolutely on par with hers (no differences) she will call you an ignorant fool to your face and not let you defend yourself. Also, my sister can be extremely rude. Her defense that she says it is like it is and people will have to deal. My SO is more than likely responded in kind because he can also be stubborn but he is willing to listen to what you say. (He also can get sarcastic but it is nowhere near what my sister is like.) The thing is, my sister is allowed to say whatever she wants but if anyone speaks "out against her" she will not have any of that and will not listen to them and gets very snippy. 

She said that I had told her "shhh" because of his views differing from hers (which btw she is guessing because she doesn't know his views). I know that if I told her "shhh" it was because I was feeling bolder while being drunk and just wanted her to be quiet. She constantly talks about her stances and you can never get a word in edgewise and she puts herself on a pedestal and I just get really tired of listening to it. Also, just so everyone knows. My mom is gay. My SO's views align with mine which are, "don't care if you're gay, straight, trans, etc. You deserve to be with who you want to be with as long as you are happy." 

I know it sounds biased but I'm not happy about what she said. My beliefs actually align very well with his and I support him in what he says. She said he was insensitive when I was drinking but I did not see it that way at all. I really got out of hand and he is the one who stopped me from feeding my dog cheetos (and I absolutely do not like feeding my dog human food). 

Now I cannot tell her that I actually think that she is a very abrasive, rude, and insensitive person or tell her I don't like how she treats people in general because she will get very angry at me and yell at me and insult me (and it really cuts deep when she does) so I don't know what to say. I'm going to stand by my SO. I know how my sister is and I don't agree with her at all. 

I want to say something along the lines of "If my SO is not invited, then I will not be joining you for Christmas" but I don't want her yelling at me, calling me a hypocrite, and choosing my SO over my family. I also can't tell her how I really feel because then she will also insult me on top of that and probably never talk to me again. What should I say?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Need some more advice

• beethery said:
    All I saw was that she wants your dog to attend in place of your SO.

That is a fuckin burn and a half. If she was my sister I'd tell her to pound sand.
    I want to. I'm actually very angry because the way I see it is the "pot calling the kettle black." But I'm also a coward because I don't want to be yelled at and she will literally yell at me. She has done it before. 

And I will not be bringing my dog with me because apparently my mom is bringing her dogs and her one dog likes to snip at my dog. I'm not dealing with that stress.
  • You can tell your sister that either you come with SO or you don't come at all. Call her bluff.

Anniversary
  • You completely lost me at the paragraph about the dog cheetos. I feel like there's a paragraph missing where you tell us what actually happened.

At any rate though, it doesn't matter. Your SO is your family too, and if my sister ever told me something like that I'd tell her to have fun without me, and possibly send a nice warm present from the dog.

• beethery said:
    All I saw was that she wants your dog to attend in place of your SO.

That is a fuckin burn and a half. If she was my sister I'd tell her to pound sand.
    I want to. I'm actually very angry because the way I see it is the "pot calling the kettle black." But I'm also a coward because I don't want to be yelled at and she will literally yell at me. She has done it before. 

And I will not be bringing my dog with me because apparently my mom is bringing her dogs and her one dog likes to snip at my dog. I'm not dealing with that stress.

Who cares if she yells at you? You can't live your life in fear that she will get mad at you. If she yells, SHE's the one who looks dumb and immature, not you. From the way you described her, it sounds like anything you say even if it's polite will set her off. Sounds like you can't win, so just stop caring. 

*This is coming from someone who also "can't win" with a ton of family members*

Formerly martha1818

• I would absolutely choose my SO over my family in this situation. I'm assuming your mom and any other family members feel the same way about your sister? If they knew about the ultimatum she gave you, they'd probably agree with your decision.

I'm a little confused as to how your mom being gay fits into this. Was the disagreement between your SO and your sister about gay rights?

• You completely lost me at the paragraph about the dog cheetos. I feel like there's a paragraph missing where you tell us what actually happened.

At any rate though, it doesn't matter. Your SO is your family too, and if my sister ever told me something like that I'd tell her to have fun without me, and possibly send a nice warm present from the dog.
    Oh sorry, I was using that as an example of how he was "watching over me" when I was drinking a lot (to deal with my family in a horrible way). She said that he was insensitive to me when I was drunk but if anything that action showed how much he cared because he knows I don't like to feed my dog human food. 
  • I am a little confused by the OP, too. I did catch that she would rather have your dog there instead of your SO. You need to stand your ground on that because this will likely shape many future family functions you may have.
  • The only thing in this entire post is that your sister is being rude by not including your SO for Christmas.  Tell her thanks for the invitation but you will have to decline.  If she throws a fit then who the hell cares.  Let her look like the idiot.

• loveislouderloveislouder member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2014
    My sister told me once that I could come but not to bring FI because it was a 'family only' and he was too "new". I told her that he was my family and if she couldn't deal then to fuck right now.

ETA:  Fuck right off** That sounded far too inappropriate.
  • To me, getting married means my FI now has to come first, ahead of the rest of my family (unless there is a very good reason/he has behaved in an unacceptable way.) Especially if he's not the one behaving in an unacceptable way.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • steph861 said:
    I would absolutely choose my SO over my family in this situation. I'm assuming your mom and any other family members feel the same way about your sister? If they knew about the ultimatum she gave you, they'd probably agree with your decision.

I'm a little confused as to how your mom being gay fits into this. Was the disagreement between your SO and your sister about gay rights?
    She said in a text "to top it off you had to tell me to shh because he has differing opinions on accepting people's different sexuality which I can't handle. Mom's gay and idc if his family is conservative and dislikes it." 

My SO's beliefs align with mine on gay rights. Everyone should have the right to marry whoever they want. My SO's parents are conservative but they actually feel the same way as us on this topic. I was drunk (because I am the worst kind of idiot) and told my family this. My sister doesn't like people are conservative, fine by me but she makes it very clear how much she doesn't like them. I told her shh and she assumed it was because of my SO and how his family is conservative (somehow in her head there was a connection). I know that if I told her to shhh it was because I was bold enough to tell her to please pipe down for once and could we not talk about it. She constantly talks about equal rights and like I said earlier, I'm glad that she is very informed on them but it would be nice to talk about other things. (I think I get sick of hearing about it because she starts smacking her hands, and her eyes get really big, her voice turns up volumes, and she does not let anyone else say another word, and if she does she then insults them.)  I get so sick of hearing about it at every single family get together. I'd like to not talk politics for at least one family get together.
  • ChemFanatic25ChemFanatic25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    The only thing in this entire post is that your sister is being rude by not including your SO for Christmas.  Tell her thanks for the invitation but you will have to decline.  If she throws a fit then who the hell cares.  Let her look like the idiot.
    Okay, how can I say it in a . . . diplomatic way? Honestly (I know it's rediculous) but my hands are clammy and I'm kind of shaking. I hate when she yells at me and insults me.
  • The only thing in this entire post is that your sister is being rude by not including your SO for Christmas.  Tell her thanks for the invitation but you will have to decline.  If she throws a fit then who the hell cares.  Let her look like the idiot.
    Okay, how can I say it in a . . . diplomatic way? Honestly (I know it's rediculous) but my hands are clammy and I'm kind of shaking. I hate when she yells at me and insults me.
    Just say, "I'm sorry, I'll have to decline if (SO) isn't welcome." It sounds like whatever you say she will throw a fit, so just turn off your phone and ignore till she's done. Don't involve yourself and focus on something else while she rages.

Formerly martha1818

• Also, I apologize to everyone for the multiple posts particularly about my family. 
  • steph861 said:
    I would absolutely choose my SO over my family in this situation. I'm assuming your mom and any other family members feel the same way about your sister? If they knew about the ultimatum she gave you, they'd probably agree with your decision.

My sister texted me privately so I don't think my mom or brothers know. 
    I think this is the perfect time to stick up for yourself and your SO.  Just keep telling yourself that her yelling at you is an immature and bratty thing to do and her words can only hurt you if you let them.

But no, it is not ridiculous to be nervous about standing up to her or hating when she yells at you or insults you.  But going along with her requests and assey-ness will just make her think that she can get away with hurting your feelings.

• Who cares if she yells at you?  Hang up the phone then.  People can only treat you how you allow yourself to be treated.  If you don't let her treat you like shit and just dont' speak to her then when she throws a tantrum, it can't affect you.

I would say "Well my SO and I are a package now so I guess I wont' be joining you for christmas then."  Let her throw a fit if she wants to, it says everything about her and nothing about you.

• amelisha said:
    To me, getting married means my FI now has to come first, ahead of the rest of my family (unless there is a very good reason/he has behaved in an unacceptable way.) Especially if he's not the one behaving in an unacceptable way.
    We're not married. We've been dating a little more than 8 months, but it still really offends me that she will not invite him.
  • amelisha said:
    To me, getting married means my FI now has to come first, ahead of the rest of my family (unless there is a very good reason/he has behaved in an unacceptable way.) Especially if he's not the one behaving in an unacceptable way.
    We're not married. We've been dating a little more than 8 months, but it still really offends me that she will not invite him.
    Yeah, it doesn't matter if you're married. He's still your SO.

Formerly martha1818

• So my sister just contacted me asking that it just be me and my dog that join our family for Christmas. She does not want my SO to join us. She said that he made rude comments to her and her SO when they were over. To be honest, I know my SO and I know my sister and I am actually very offended by her request.

I love my sister but she is an extremely abrasive person. It is why I can only handle her in small doses. If your opinion does not align with hers whatsoever, like it has to be absolutely on par with hers (no differences) she will call you an ignorant fool to your face and not let you defend yourself. Also, my sister can be extremely rude. Her defense that she says it is like it is and people will have to deal. My SO is more than likely responded in kind because he can also be stubborn but he is willing to listen to what you say. (He also can get sarcastic but it is nowhere near what my sister is like.) The thing is, my sister is allowed to say whatever she wants but if anyone speaks "out against her" she will not have any of that and will not listen to them and gets very snippy. 

She said that I had told her "shhh" because of his views differing from hers (which btw she is guessing because she doesn't know his views). I know that if I told her "shhh" it was because I was feeling bolder while being drunk and just wanted her to be quiet. She constantly talks about her stances and you can never get a word in edgewise and she puts herself on a pedestal and I just get really tired of listening to it. Also, just so everyone knows. My mom is gay. My SO's views align with mine which are, "don't care if you're gay, straight, trans, etc. You deserve to be with who you want to be with as long as you are happy." 

I know it sounds biased but I'm not happy about what she said. My beliefs actually align very well with his and I support him in what he says. She said he was insensitive when I was drinking but I did not see it that way at all. I really got out of hand and he is the one who stopped me from feeding my dog cheetos (and I absolutely do not like feeding my dog human food). 

Now I cannot tell her that I actually think that she is a very abrasive, rude, and insensitive person or tell her I don't like how she treats people in general because she will get very angry at me and yell at me and insult me (and it really cuts deep when she does) so I don't know what to say. I'm going to stand by my SO. I know how my sister is and I don't agree with her at all. 

I want to say something along the lines of "If my SO is not invited, then I will not be joining you for Christmas" but I don't want her yelling at me, calling me a hypocrite, and choosing my SO over my family. I also can't tell her how I really feel because then she will also insult me on top of that and probably never talk to me again. What should I say?
    I'd probably tell her this, but that's because at this point in my life I don't really care to deal with dysfunctional people if I don't have to, even if they are family.

It sounds to me like you know that your only option in order to keep the peace with your sister is to capitulate to her every whim, opinion, and demand.  Besides being total bullshit- because no one should treat you like she does- it's totally dysfunctional.  It will only enable her bad behavior and it runs the risk of alienating you from your SO.

My suggestion would be to try making peace as opposed to keeping it.  Don't respond to this ridiculous message from your sister- just show up to this holiday event with your SO. . . just like any normalw, rational person who's in a relationship would.  Then if your sister stats in with the histrionics in front of your entire family, gently laugh it off and say, "Oh I'm sorry Sister, I didn't actually think just an outlandish request was serious!"  If she keeps up her lamentations and protests and starts getting ugly with you both, then leave.

Keep doing this until she either stops being such an ass or you decide that you really don't need or want her in your life.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• I would definitely call her bluff and tell her you won't come without SO.  I'd also be talking to your parents and see what they think about the situation.  Do they have underlying concerns that no one's brought to your attention that should maybe be addressed, or is your sister just being her delightful self?  It might be good for your sister to hear from your parents that she needs to stop being a rude bitch.

I would absolutely not just show up with your SO though.  That would be unfair to everyone, especially to him.  He shouldn't have to watch shit go down because of his presence.  That's not something that's easily/ever forgotten.  It's not fair for the pall it would cast on the celebration for everyone else, including you.  Address it head on and deal with the consequences, even if it means that she yells.  If you and your SO end up getting married, you're in store for a lot of future yelling unless you put her in her place now.
  • SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I kind of skimmed the post after you started to explain your sister. Because girl, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. It doesn't even sound like you really want to go- so you shouldn't. And you definitely shouldn't do something passive aggressive like show up with your uninvited SO! 

You should not be afraid to tell your sister you don't approve of her request. How she reacts is her own business. You cannot control her actions- only hers. Set some limits and hold your ground. Tell her you won't be going and that's it. You don't have to explain yourself, you don't have to give her any more information- only that.

Proposed conversation:

You: Hi crazypersonwhoisonlyasister in name, I'm calling to inform you that since SO isn't invited, I will not be coming to Christmas. Thank you for the invitation.

Crazy person: OMG HOW COULD YOU BLAH BLAH BLAH

You: *Click* Or better- I am not going to listen to you yell at me. Goodbye. *click*
  • Uh, yeah, you should just be like "Oh, I'm sorry, we're going to be spending the holiday with his family instead." 

That'll burn her ass something good. 
  • zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited November 2014

Why do you give a shit about any of this? She sounds awful -- wouldn't her not talking to you ever again be a blessing? Stop giving her so much power in your life. Just because you share DNA doesn't mean you have to put up with her being a bitch to you and your SO.
  • Nymeru said:

I would definitely call her bluff and tell her you won't come without SO.  I'd also be talking to your parents and see what they think about the situation.  Do they have underlying concerns that no one's brought to your attention that should maybe be addressed, or is your sister just being her delightful self?  It might be good for your sister to hear from your parents that she needs to stop being a rude bitch.

I would absolutely not just show up with your SO though.  That would be unfair to everyone, especially to him.  He shouldn't have to watch shit go down because of his presence.  That's not something that's easily/ever forgotten.  It's not fair for the pall it would cast on the celebration for everyone else, including you.  Address it head on and deal with the consequences, even if it means that she yells.  If you and your SO end up getting married, you're in store for a lot of future yelling unless you put her in her place now.

Pretty sure her sisters behavior is no surprise to her SO and he already knows she dislikes him based on their last interaction.

And I suspect her sisters behavior is no surprise to her family who likely has been enabling her shitty behavior for years, so I wouldn't worry about ruining their holiday celebration. Other people's bad behavior can't ruin anything for you unless you let them.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• SBmini said:

I kind of skimmed the post after you started to explain your sister. Because girl, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. It doesn't even sound like you really want to go- so you shouldn't. And you definitely shouldn't do something passive aggressive like show up with your uninvited SO! 

You should not be afraid to tell your sister you don't approve of her request. How she reacts is her own business. You cannot control her actions- only hers. Set some limits and hold your ground. Tell her you won't be going and that's it. You don't have to explain yourself, you don't have to give her any more information- only that.

Proposed conversation:

You: Hi crazypersonwhoisonlyasister in name, I'm calling to inform you that since SO isn't invited, I will not be coming to Christmas. Thank you for the invitation.

You: *Click* Or better- I am not going to listen to you yell at me. Goodbye. *click*
    Theres a difference between not deigning to acknowledge or engage ridiculous behavior and being passive aggressive. I hate passive aggressive shit, so I'd never suggest anyone to engage in those tactics. I'm also not afraid of confrontation either.

Showing up with her SO w/o asking permission from her sister is pretty aggressive. It basically says, "Fuck you and your bullshit."

OP might not be at that level yet, but calling sister in advance is going to be futile, so OP just be prepared to go to SO'S for Christmas as Estee suggested and be prepared to hang up on your sister. . . And not answer if she tries calling you back to yell at you.

I'm sorry she sucks and is making the holidays stressful for you. I'd be happy to call her and introduce her to Jesus on your behalf, lol! ;-)

• I kind of skimmed the post after you started to explain your sister. Because girl, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life. It doesn't even sound like you really want to go- so you shouldn't. And you definitely shouldn't do something passive aggressive like show up with your uninvited SO! 

Proposed conversation:

Theres a difference between not deigning to acknowledge or engage ridiculous behavior and being passive aggressive. I hate passive aggressive shit, so I'd never suggest anyone to engage in those tactics. I'm also not afraid of confrontation either. Showing up with her SO w/o asking permission from her sister is pretty aggressive. It basically says, "Fuck you and your bullshit." OP might not be at that level yet, but calling sister in advance is going to be futile, so OP just be prepared to go to SO'S for Christmas as Estee suggested and be prepared to hang up on your sister. . . And not answer if she tries calling you back to yell at you. I'm sorry she sucks and is making the holidays stressful for you. I'd be happy to call her and introduce her to Jesus on your behalf, lol! ;-)
    I think I may have lost you... how is ignoring her sister and not attending not passive aggressive? I honestly feel that the best solution here is to not take bullshit- but to also not lie. Lying doesn't communicate why someone is doing something and it helps perpetuate negative behavior- or worst- lead the person to assume untrue things. Telling the truth sends the message that someone is doing something because of the inappropriate actions of the other person. She doesn't have to explain herself, she doesn't even have to try and keep her sister as a friend. I won't be there for this reason goodbye. Click. Done. 
  • zitiqueen said:

Why do you give a shit about any of this? She sounds awful -- wouldn't her not talking to you ever again be a blessing? Stop giving her so much power in your life. Just because you share DNA doesn't mean you have to put up with her being a bitch to you and your SO.
    I believe it stems back to how my family treated each other when I was younger. I'm the oldest and had to take care of my siblings a lot more than a normal child usually has to. I have been seeing a therapist about it. I know that I shouldn't care, I even contemplated over it last night. I just don't like having people upset at me. Maybe it's because I'm still young and just haven't hit that point of "not giving a shit" but I guess I still get nervous about disappointing people. My sister texts, she doesn't call, so I responded as everyone said to, with a simple "If SO is not invited then I will have to respectfully decline your invitation." She actually only responded with an "okay" but if I know my sister, I will be getting hell right before the holidays. 

I know it sounds crazy but I almost thought about just saying, "fine I'll come but I'm not happy that SO is not invited" but I realized that if I let her think this was okay then it will happen again and I'm not going to cut my SO out of my life because my sister, who I don't have the most amazing relationship with already, doesn't like him. The other reason I did not cave and send that response was also because although my SO and I have been dating 8 months, it is pretty serious. If I plan to share the rest of my life with him, my family is going to have to accept who I have chosen to be in my life.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards