Not Engaged Yet

Wednesday Chat

Morning!

First, I just want to tell everyone that has off or a half day today, I am SO jealous. I really don't want to be at work and I'm already dreading the commute home tonight. Between normal NYC traffic, holiday traffic, and the impending rain/snow storm that's coming, I'm expecting it to be a nightmare! 

Tomorrow, I'm getting up early to start the turkey. I'm so excited for all the food! There'll be turkey with gravy, stuffing, mashed sweet potato brulee, rosemary garlic parm biscuits, corn, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie tarts. I'm making all of it all by myself! There will be leftovers for DAYS. I can't wait! 

H and I drove around some neighborhoods last night to make sure they're areas that we want to browse houses in. It sucks to have to start over and it's such a bad time to be looking for a house (who the hell moves during the holidays?) but hopefully it works in our favor. 

Re: Wednesday Chat

• Ugh I agree with the jealous of anyone off or having a half day.  I left my house as it just started snowing, so I'm sure by 5 it will be tons of fun.  This is the first winter I have all wheel drive though so that should be fun.

We have tons of food leftover from yesterday's office potluck, so I'm being a fatty and having apple pie for breakfast. 

@swazzle I hope you find a house that is 100x better than the last and makes up for all the heartaches and headaches!  This time of year is actually better to buy a house because less people are looking.  Just the moving part sucks. 
  • @Swazzle‌ I'm still mad at that douchebag. I hope the next steps go quickly and you find something you love even more!!

I'm also jealous of everyone that has a half day or off today. I'm here till 4:30, but I've already mentally checked out. I hit the acceptable AR number this morning....and ive got a lot of national accounts that i can't talk to or control so I'm not really pushing because i know there's a slim chance I'll hit my personal goal numbers.

I'm going home to an empty house so i will bee making a pumpkin Angel food cake bar thing and maybe lasagna cups to snack on tomorrow around lunch time until the turkey is ready
  • Hi everybody!

I don't have to leave for work for like another hour or so (I want to stop at Walmart before going in) - I work the crappy shift and won't get out until 8 today (sucks before a holiday!!).

I'm SO looking forward to the time off.  I just feel so very burnt out!

Everybody who is getting snow dumped on them - stay safe!!

Anniversary
  • I was totally thrown off this morning when my alarm didn't go off. I was supposed to be at CrossFit at 6:30 but I woke up at 7:30 when the class was ending....UGH. Oh well, I'm working from home today until 1:00p.m.

I'm getting luck with my Mom and @LaPeanut1018 at this NOMS sandwich shop. Then DH should be home around 1:00 and we are going to get ready for The Fox tonight! I love getting dressed up and going out with him. I'm so excited. 

Tomorrow if Thanksgiving and I'm going to try to workout early in the morning and then get over to the parents house to do allll the cooking.

Friday I plant to start decorating for Christmas and making a couple wreaths. DH is going hunting again on Friday through Sunday so I'll be home alone again after Thanksgiving.
  • @speakeasy14 - Know what would make your breakfast even better? Heat it up and then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top! 

@IrishDreamer - I hope your day goes quickly! The food you're making sound so yummy!

@southernpeach89 - Have fun tonight! 

• No ice cream at work :( but I did warm up the pie.  
  • Morning ladies!

@Swazzle - You guys WILL find something.  If it makes you feel better H and I put offers on 5 other houses before we got ours (and then we had a short sale fiasco like you that turned out the other way).  Did your lawyer get back to you on whether or not you can recover anything from the douche?

I am at work and got very little sleep yesterday.  Due to me missing what is really an artificial deadline (an internal quiz I was told I didn't need to take by HR...but apparently I did) I am going to have to pay double for insurance next year so that had me crying most of the night and H telling me I'm not an idiot and it will be ok.  Then the dog was up all night barking so I'm going on very little sleep with hours of meetings ahead of me.  I'm hoping I just get through the day at this point.

• @Swazzle - I'm sorry, I got distracted from everything else in your initial post after I read the words "mashed sweet potato brûlée."  Recipe?!  Please?

To everybody with snow or rain today...be careful!  It's supposed to be 60 and sunny (albeit really windy) here.  :-)

I "technically" have today off, which means I don't have to go to class...but I'm trying to take advantage of that to plow through a bunch of dissertation sources.  I have a bunch that need to go back to the library next week (to avoid the $5/day interlibrary loan fine), so I'm trying to get through them and basically everything else I have.  The contractors are supposed to come over today to finish the work in my laundry room (water damage from the roof in that area having come completely off!), so I'm sure once they get here it'll be a little harder to focus, but right now I'm doing okay.  I've also got to teach a couple of Zumba classes, so it'll be good to get my workout in before I completely stuff my face tomorrow.

I'm simultaneously super excited and sad about tomorrow.  Excited because...I mean, Thanksgiving food...turkey, gravy, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, green beans, brussels sprouts, rolls, cheesecake (and also wine).  Sad because Mr. Historian has to spend Thanksgiving someplace I don't even know where.  :-(  There are only 5 of us this Thanksgiving, so it'll probably be pretty relaxed and laid-back.  My brother's girlfriend is spending her first holiday with us, because her family lives far away and Thanksgiving is really too close to Christmas for her to go home twice.

This weekend is for the Nutcracker!  First tech rehearsal Friday, 2 dress rehearsals on Saturday, performance on Sunday.  I also need to clean the house, and I want to try to get my Christmas decorations up.  I usually am pretty vehemently opposed to anything Christmas before Thanksgiving, but this year I'm just super antsy to put up my stuff, so I'm proud I managed to wait!
  • @Swazzle‌ i hope your day goes by quickly as well! The recipes are so easy as well and i usually have all the stuff on hand.
  • @minskat30 - Nope, I haven't heard back from our attorney. Another great thing about all of this is that I can drop him since he fucking sucks and get someone a bit more competent and responsive. I'm looking forward to that!I hope you're able to sleep in tomorrow!

@futuremrshistorian - It's a Skinnytaste recipe and I'm expecting it to be delicious: CLICK. You are so busy! I hope you get to relax at some point! I'm sorry you won't be together for Thanksgiving though :(

• @swazzle there is a really cute house for sale 5 doors down from me. Problem solved.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• @swazzle ugh NYC is disgusting today, I got soaked on my way to work.  Where are you looking to move???

I get out at 3 so I"m meeting my dad and driving up to my parents house with him to help out my mom for a bit.  My FI will come up later tonight (he's seeing the kids for dinner tonight like we always do Wednesdays but since I"m helping my mom, I'll see them all weekend!)  assuming the weather isn't too terrible!  I'm having dinner at our fave restaurant with my parents tonight and then helping cook all day tomorrow!  I'm really looking forward to our whiskey, scotch, and bourbon bar tomorrow!

• @Swazzle I hope you are able to recover something from that douche! Also, yay for getting rid of the lawyer from hell soon! This sucks so much...I really hope you and your H find something you love quickly and easily!

@southernpeach89 NOMS! Just over 2 hours until tasty sandwich time!

I got out of the house sort of early this morning and hit up the DMV and got my name changed on my license. Now I have a shitty paper temporary license until my new one comes in the mail in a couple weeks...it totally looks legit <sarcasm>. I don't have a half day today but most of the people in my office are gone so I don't have a ton to do. I'll hopefully be able to just monitor my computer today and do things other than working.

Thursday is Turkey Day! @southernpeach89 and I are organizing Thanksgiving this year. Tonight I'm making the pumpkin pie and then tomorrow I have to bring ALL THE THINGS to my parent's house so I can put together all the rest of my dishes. I'm making crockpot mac n' cheese, roasted root veggies in an apple cider glaze, cheddar and chive cornbread muffins, the turkey, herb gravy, green bean casserole, and I think that covers everything. I hope...

Friday H has to work so I'll probably spend the day pulling out all of our Christmas decorations. I hate all the chaos on Black Friday so I don't go shopping at all. I feel like this weekend we have some plans but I'm not really sure what they are. If the weather is nice we definitely need to get outside and rake leaves in the backyard and cut back some shrubs and stuff for the winter.

• @beanbot2002 - DONE! See you soon! ;)

@lacqueredlover - We really like Rahway and Woodbridge right now. We want to be in a town that has a train that goes direct to the city. Being close enough that I could walk to/from the train station would be a plus for days that I'm not driving to work. 

@LaPeanut1018 - I REALLY wanted to make your mac and cheese for tomorrow but I only have one crockpot and my turkey will be in it. I read somewhere the other day that the cheapest prices are actually tomorrow. Since it's just H and me, I just might get my shopping done before I have to start cooking. 

• @swazzle nice!  A friend of mine lives in Rahway and loves it.  The one reason I'm ok with moving to Montclair is because the trains are so easy (and close!)

• justbeingme93justbeingme93 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
  • eilis1228eilis1228 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    I'm working at the office until noon-ish and then working from home the rest of the day so I can tackle some laundry. There are maybe 5 of us in the office today, so I'm anticipating a sloooooow day. At some point today I need to run to Michael's to find a pen with edible ink because I'm going to make THESE for a coworker's baby shower next week, and I also need to workout this afternoon. Tonight FI and I are going to see Mockingjay to celebrate all of our awesome luck yesterday, and then we're going to pack for tomorrow.

Tomorrow we're waking up bright and early and driving to Houston. I'm so excited to see my dad's side of the family, especially my older brothers and my nephews and niece. It's going to be awesome. Plus we're staying the night at a fancy hotel as a treat for FI. He's never stayed in a nice hotel, and the rates were really cheap surprisingly enough, so we decided to go ahead and book a room. 

Friday we're going to wake up early and head back home. We may stay and have brunch or something with family, but I'm a little anxious to make the long drive home as early as possible. Friday night I need to work out, SET UP CHRISTMAS!!!!, and FI is going to make his famous chocolate Dream Whip pies. 

Saturday I have to wake up early again (notice a trend?) so that I can cook green bean casserole, mac n cheese, stuffing (out of the box), and peas for our Thanksgiving meal with FI's family that afternoon. I anticipate the majority of the day being spent at his parents' house, which will be nice. 

Sunday I have the Nutcracker with my mom, my aunt, and my cousin, and then afterwards I will probably want to sit and do nothing for hours. 

Anywho, I also woke up today thinking about what I'm thankful for, and NEY was definitely on the list. Thank you all for your friendship, your advice, and your patience with me when I went BSC over the summer. You guys always brighten my day, and I've thoroughly enjoyed getting to know each and every one of you. I hope you all have a wonderful holiday, and for those with inclement weather, please stay safe! <3

@swazzle Ugh I really hate that douche. I'm so sorry everything turned out so wrong, but I sincerely believe a better house is out there for you guys. Enjoy Thanksgiving! Your menu has me drooling on my desk. lol

@speakeasy14 Please be careful going home tonight!

@Dignity100 I hope your workday flies by!

@minskat30 WTF Why would HR lie? I'm sorry! :( You are definitely not an idiot. I hope you and your H can get some sleep tonight.

@futuremrshistorian I hope this is the last year you guys have to be apart on Thanksgiving! <3

@lacqueredlover Whiskey, scotch, and bourbon bar? AWESOME! Sounds like a great Thanksgiving!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • eilis1228 my parents know how to party!  haha it used to just be scotch but I got my dad into whiskey and my FI loves bourbon so they have expanded!

• speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2014
    eilis1228 I will be careful, just started sticking here, which means it is at least 5x worse at home.  

justbeingme93 it was delicious! All the guys decided that I was a genius and had pie for breakfast too.  We're all about healthy eating here hahaha  p.s. that sunrise is perfect against the snow!
  • I am one of those lucky people that gets to leave work early today and I am thankful because I work in NJ and live in NYC so the commute home is usually a mess and with this weather I just know it's going to be worse!

I am headed home early to get my disheveled home in tip top shape for my family tomorrow.

I hope all you ladies have a great day and safe travels!

• Out early today? Lucky people! Also, lucky ducks, all of you who got snow. We just got rain. All the gross for half the pretty. As for me, I get out of work at 12:15 AM. I just hope I'm conscious enough to enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow! It'll be my first day off in forever.

I need pies. I know we're making other things, but I really just need all the pie. Pies and a nap. And maybe spiked eggnog to facilitate the nap.
  • @Swazzle, @futuremrshistorian, @LaPeanut1018, @eilis1228 – Your menus sound AMAZING!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

@IrishDreamer – Lasagna cups? What are those?!? I love lasagna! And things that are cup shaped! :P

@minskat – That insurance thing sounds AWFUL! I rented a car for the first time on my Arizona trip and they had me initial four lines that said “I Decline suchandsuch” and then the last one said “I Accept suchandsuch” but I didn’t notice, so I signed it and paid an extra 100 bucks. I cried because I felt stupid. Now I realize they are assholes. As is whoever is in charge of that stupid quiz you didn’t take.

@justbeingme93 – Hopefully you weren’t hunting your own turkey for the meal tomorrow! ;) If not you better get back up there and start breathing heavily on one of the windows! Haha

----------------------------

I'm off at 1 today, and then I'm gonna go make apple pie moonshine. My BF has to work late, so I think we're just going to leave for my parents' house in the morning. That sucks, because by the time I get there the kitchen will probably be completely taken over, so I am bringing wine and moonshine as my contribution, haha. I was supposed to go out drinking with my sister tonight, too. No one else has to work late except my BF. It's bullshit.

My mom told me to be safe because the weather wasn't supposed to be good..... It's gonna be in the 50s with a chance of rain. I think my mom is starting to turn into one of "those" old women, lol.

I am thankful for all of you. The discussions we have, and the distraction you bring me when work is awful, haha. I'm also thankful that my dog turned out awesome after A LOT of training work, and I'm thankful that marijuana is now legal in Oregon. ;)

• edited November 2014
    I have a full day in the office today, but I get Friday off.

Yep. That's all I got. Food tomorrow. Driving a friend to her Thanksgiving. Wrecking my hands on a commission and my mom wants a scarf. My goal is to not let her see how bloody my knuckles are from all the knitting lately. I look like I've been in a bar fight, but hey, you should see the other guy. :-P
  • @AlPacina‌
    You take a muffin tin, put a wonton wrapper in it, fill it with a cheese mixture, and some sauce ( like lasagna layers), add another wonton wrapper on top, add more sauce and shredded cheese and bake
  • I want turkey! Canadian thanksgiving is in October so no turkey for me.

Though, boyfriends company xmas party is this weekend at a nice mountain resort, so we are leaving tomorrow afternoon to go out a day early :) Working from home tmr morning, and then radio silence. I almost decided to work from home today, but our company CEO is visiting from the states, so I figured I should make an appearance.

• I'm here until 3pm today. I just started snowing, and it's coming down HARD. I finally convinced FI that we should just stay here instead of trying to drive to Maine, so I'm stopping at the grocery store on the way home to pick everything up for a lovely small Thanksgiving dinner with just the two of us. (Four, if you count the creatures.)

Speaking of creatures, Vi went to the vet yesterday, and doesn't need a cone! But they did shave off some of her cheek hair to get at the spot, so she looks EXTRA pathetic. She has some antibiotics and a topical spray, that she HATES. I think we'll just end up spraying it on our hand and patting it on the spot, since she was running away from FI this morning. 

I just looked out the window, it's snowing like crazy, and the snow is blowing in five different directions. I'm not sure how that's possible. I only wish we had some firewood to used in our fireplace :(

*******************************************************************************************

• @goldenpenguin good luck food shopping! My sister went last night and between Thanksgiving shopping and snow storm panic there was nothing left. 

For all the NEYers in warm climates, here's my current view.  Nothing horrible yet but I guess it is worse at home because I keep getting text alerts about accidents:

• @lacqueredlover - My family doesn't drink much, but Mr. Historian would LOVE a whiskey/Scotch/bourbon bar.  I think I'm going to have to steal that for his next birthday party!

@Swazzle - I am CRAZY busy.  :-(  I'm trying to get a completed draft of the dissertation finished by mid-March...I guess I'll relax after that.

@ellis1228 - I hope so too!  We are both SO tired of spending holidays apart.  Last Christmas, he flew home from Afghanistan to surprise me, but we didn't get to spend the actual holiday together, and he didn't get to come to the big party my family throws every year.  I do, however, have a picture of us in front of my parents' Christmas tree...but it's just sort of not good enough.

My house smells like paint...I'm going to have to leave the contractors here and go do something somewhere else, because I'm getting a little loopy.
  • @speakeasy14 - I am NOT looking forward to it. I will be getting whatever is left over, and trying not to kill anyone in the process haha.

*******************************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards