Chit Chat

What are you getting FI/H/SO for Christmas?

Re: What are you getting FI/H/SO for Christmas?

• I'm getting him the new kindle.
  • For the past couple years H & I have done a very small Christmas gift-wise for each other due to some large purchases (house, wedding, cars, etc.). This year, though, he really wants a wardrobe update and I am buying him ALL THE CLOTHES to make up for his birthday gift as well (his birthday is in the summer & I got him amazing concert tickets only to have the concert get canceled). 
  • I got him a new Tumi backpack and duffel, some craft beer glasses (to add to his collection), some peanut butter truffles, and some jalapeno kitchen gadgets (corer and roaster.) I can't decide if I want to get anything else, but we had a discussion on keeping it scaled back this year and I've hit the budget he tossed out at me.

• We're not doing gifts this year. We've got too much stuff already, we're getting married in May, and neither of us could think of anything we needed. We'll just go skiing.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think I may need to talk to H when I get home about possibly planning a trip in lieu of Christmas gifts this year.  We can still get the new iPhones like I said in my previous post (because I am tired of hearing him complain about his damn phone) but deciding on a trip somewhere would be a great idea.

• I have no idea. We just got married and don't need much of anything. He needs a lot of clothing/shoes/etc. but I buy that type of thing for him when I find a great deal. Waiting until Christmas doesn't make sense-- plus, it's not stuff that he enjoys so it doesn't feel like a gift.

I've given all of my good ideas for him to my family (we're a big gifting group). He keeps telling me to just buy his text books for next semester but since I usually buy them anyway, it's hardly a gift.

I love reading all of these ideas! I hope they'll give me inspiration!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • DH and I made an agreement several years ago that we wouldn't buy eachother useful gifts for Christmas. I forget the exact reasoning behind it but Christmas and vacations are the only time we really buy fun stuff.
  • I just bought my SO some nerdy glass coffee mugs (LINK) and nerdy tea infusers (LINK 1, LINK 2), and a gift set of 4 loose teas with a nice regular tea infuser/pot from Teavana. He mentioned wanting to stop drinking alcohol when he got home from work and drink tea instead to be healthier, so I figured I would support his decision and get him some nice things related to that. We are both engineers and he likes nerdy things that are science related. 

• FI wants the PS4. I don't know that I want to get him one, though. For now, one of his gifts will be a book called "Crazy Cat Men," or something along those lines. My saw it at some store, and thought it would be a great gift to get him lol. Other than that, I'm stuck. 

Oh! I was actually thinking of enrolling him in a cooking class. But that's more of a gift for me than him so...
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Me! Kind of literally. I did budoir photos and I'm going to have an album made once I have all of them back.
  • We're driving up to Maine on Christmas day to a fancy bed & breakfast with a hot tub and a double sided fireplace- 1 one side is against the tub woohoo! So 2 nights there is our main "gift" to each other. He has 2 expensive, thick flannel shirts from Vermont that he loves so I'm also ordering him one more of those. 

• I got us tix to Cirque du soliel for our anniversary (2 birds, 1 stone hehe), and I'm thinking about getting him a meat smoker. But it's kind of random lol. Last year was easy, because the PS4 came out, and I was like, okay done.
  • edited June 2015
  • Christmas this year will be small in light of medical and wedding expenses. I just got him a nice hoodie and I picked up some monogrammed hankies at Target. He needs shoes-- I may pick him up a pair of shoes and call it a day. Well, and stocking candy of course. Because candy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    larrygaga said:
    Hockey tickets! Bought them online so no walking through crowded malls for once :)

What team do you support?

Ottawa Sens, baby!!

ETA: they really suck right now but it's just out of loyalty, I can't stop ;)

Formerly martha1818

• We are going halvsies on a Wii U, and just filling each others stockings. He's getting mostly small cooking related items because he's really trying to experiment with what he makes for us.
  • So, I'm stuck.

J's birthday is near Christmas, so I could double-up on a Christmas and birthday gift. However, I've started a new tradition of getting him a nice bottle of scotch for his birthday every year (about $100). I only want to spend $100 on his Christmas gift.

I managed to find a gorgeous leather briefcase that he would love, and it was in my price range. However, it turns out that because it's oiled leather, it can stain lighter fabrics, and it's really not waterproof. This wouldn't be a problem, except that J likes having one messenger bag/briefcase that he uses every day, and he rarely checks the forecast (so he gets caught in the rain all the time). So he would never exchange it for a waterproof bag when he knew it was going to rain, or exchange it for a bag that won't stain his light khakis.

Now I want to get him a super warm winter jacket because we're going to Chicago at the end of the month, and he doesn't have anything that will keep his spindly fat-free body warm enough in the polar vortex induced icy chill that is Chicago in the winter. But I can't find a decent, well-reviewed coat that's around $100 (even on sale) in his size (small). I could just suck it up and get him a $200 North Face, but I really want to get him that scotch :(
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • He said he wants tools but hasn't given me a straight answer on what tools he wants. Last year I got him a chop saw and some other small things.

This year I'm going to get these things, plus whatever tools he wants:

- Monkey Bar bike rack
    - Hogan's Heroes complete series
    - Paper shredder (somewhat of a gag gift, somewhat of a nag gift)
    - External hard drive for his xbox
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• @teddygirl9 - Which Cirque show??  We're going in May to one too.

DH is getting a remote car starter.  Not sure if he's getting anything else, cos it cost more that I thought it would.  It's the install that's killing me.  Something to override the chip in his key fob, another expense cos he drives stick.  The instal is costing more than the starter itself.  But he's been talking about one, and he always parks outside, so he should like it.  

I'll probably get him an emergency car kit since he highway drives a lot for work.  And maybe a sweater, and then I'll stock up on Lifesavers for the year.  

• I went a little insane. I bought a couple of small things for him but his big gift is a molecular gastronomy kit. Very excited to give this to him. Yeah, he already knows what he is getting mostly because he told me what he was getting himself for Christmas and I told him he better not purchase that kit. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @teddygirl9 - Which Cirque show??  We're going in May to one too.

DH is getting a remote car starter.  Not sure if he's getting anything else, cos it cost more that I thought it would.  It's the install that's killing me.  Something to override the chip in his key fob, another expense cos he drives stick.  The instal is costing more than the starter itself.  But he's been talking about one, and he always parks outside, so he should like it.  

I'll probably get him an emergency car kit since he highway drives a lot for work.  And maybe a sweater, and then I'll stock up on Lifesavers for the year.  

SIB
    I got a remote starter when I bought my new car and I LOVE it!!!! I work on the third floor of my building and have to park way the hell out in the huge parking lot. Before I leave work, I go to the window and hit the button. Even if I can't see my car. Sure enough, I get out to the parking lot and it's nice and toasty for me! 
    It will be well worth the cost, I promise! 
  • Copper mule mugs, a nice bottle of whiskey, and ginger beer (because the new bar in town has gotten FI hooked on whiskey mules, which are the same as Moscow mules but with whiskey instead of vodka), and a real toolbox, cuz the junky plastic one I've had since I was a kid frustrates the hell out of FI and he hates using it, so now he gets his own! 

I also got him some lowball glasses with dinosaurs on them (inside joke) and a mold to make ice spheres for whiskey on the rocks. I did not mean to get him so many liquor-related things, I just kept seeing stuff on sale and thinking "Omg FI would love that!" So basically he's getting a bar for xmas lol. Plus the toolbox, though! 

HIGHLY recommend these (<<clicky)…got them for DH a couple of Christmas's ago and he loooooved them! They are a bit pricer than some, but they are HUGE and super, duper sturdy! 

It's going to be a pretty low-key Christmas for the SmileDamnit household. Between the impending arrival of Bean and DH being gig-less, we want to attempt conservative gift giving. That said, I'll probably get him a couple of LPs he's been eyeing, and maybe a gun safe. Very romantic, no?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • @phira‌ have you tried Eddie Bauer? They have some down ones that would be about in that range since they're all 30% off right now.

• phiraphira member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    @lolo883 Will check it out! A friend of mine suggested another brand (she's from Hawaii, so if she says it's super warm, then I totally believe her).

EDIT: You are the best because I managed to get an amazing rain- and wind-proof parka for him for $100 :D:D:D
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I'm going to get him a new chef's cost with his name embroidered on it (the one he has got stained at Thanksgiving!) and I was thinking of something else but I forgot what now. Hrm.
  • Not getting anything for FI this Christmas because I'll be in Mauritius and the wedding is coming up, so we agreed no gifts. I'm still waiting on the blender he was supposed to get me for my birthday start of September. I had a day dream that I bought him the new big iPhone 6 for Christmas...sigh. Not going to happen.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Dh wants a ps4. Given the fact that my Christmas gift is the lasik surgery im getting this week, I don't have too many legs to stand on there regarding priciness. Dh actually ordered the darn thing last night but he is selling some electronic things on ebay which will help with the cost. I have leftover cash from my birthday- may buy him a few games.

Christmas shopping for my folks is done; still are on radio silence with his folks so no idea what we will do there. Sending my brother a bottle of wine and perhaps one for sister too. I'm helping mom shop for my nieces /her step grand kids so she has less to worry about and can fo us on dad's treatment.
  • We aren't doing gifts this year - we're just putting some more money aside for our honeymoon so we don't have to worry about all of it right before our wedding.

We'll probably go out for a nice dinner and drinks, but that's it.

• FI hates gifts and money is tight right now, so I was thinking we'd probably just have some fun time in the bedroom for both Christmas and his birthday (also in Dec).  But I might steal @beethery's idea and get him a shredder.  He caused our last one to spontaneously combust... there are still scorch marks on the driveway :)
    I always think of these great gift ideas.  Then I don't write them down and when it actually comes to picking out gifts, I have no idea what to get.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards