Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Where did he pop the question? Who did you tell?

maxy2013maxy2013 member
First Comment
edited December 2014 in Just Engaged and Proposals
I'm curious as to where or how he popped the question. Where did your fiance pop the question? Other than your parents, who did you tell first?

I was proposed to just after Christmas, a few days later, on this street that has huge Christmas shaped trees that are decorated around the holidays. People and cars frequent this street, looking at all the lights, etc. We went there after dinner one night, just to walk around and he we started talking about us. One thing led to another and he pulled out the ring and got down on one knee. It was wonderful! After telling our parents, I think we posted it on Facebook :/

Re: Where did he pop the question? Who did you tell?

• Options
    We had gone hiking in a big, gorgeous state park to see the foliage, and he had been acting like a total weirdo for a little while before, so I figured it would be that day. I also knew where he was hiding my engagement ring, and knew it wasn't there anymore, haha. We spent the day hiking and had a great time, but no proposal. After we left, we went to a nearby city to get lunch with one of my friends. We talked on the way over there about life and things, and it came out that he had been meaning to propose while we were hiking, but since it's a big, very popular state park, there was never a moment that we were alone, and he knows I absolutely hate being the center of attention. So he was really upset that he'd "missed his chance," and we talked for a while about how little I cared about the proposal being some big ordeal, and that I understood his desire to "do it right," but that I didn't really care how he did it at all. 

So he proposed a few days later, on a Wednesday morning at like 6:30am. I wasn't even really awake yet -- I had JUST woken up and told him about some bizarre dream I'd had that night. But it was perfect. 

After close family, we told Instagram. 
  • Options
    We were on vacation in Nashville.  He apparently had no plan as to where exactly he would do it.  It was a rainy day and we were wandering around and found this cool observation tower that we went up to the top of.  I was all ready to go (we were the only people there for like 20 mins and it wasn't that exciting haha) but he kept being like "no let's wait so someone can take a pic of us."  I'm all "lets just take a selfie."  (apparently my mom begged for pics when he talked to my parents the week before.)  So finally these teenage Russian kids came up and my FI gave them my camera, they took a pic, and when I went to take it back, he asked them to hold onto it for a minute and proposed.  I basically blacked out at that point and have no idea what happened until about 5 mins later when he told me I still hadn't said yes because I was shocked and then about 15 mins later I burst into tears.

Then I called my parents, my brother and sis in law, his parents, his brother and sis in law and we both texted a few friends.  My text to my friends just read "um so I'm engaged!"

Then we told facebook and Instagram with a picture of the picture of him proposing:

• Options
    He proposed in our kitchen.  And I called my grandma first.

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    He proposed on the top of the rock of Gibraltar. We were on a Mediterranean cruise and Gibraltar was our second stop. We were on a guided tour, and he pulled me aside to another trail and asked me to marry him. 

His mother was actually with us on the tour, so she was the first person we told (though she knew it was happening). We then called my parents. Since we were on the cruise and I had my phone shut off, I later emailed my brother and my closest friends from the ship to tell them the news. 
  • Options
    He proposed on the top of the rock of Gibraltar. We were on a Mediterranean cruise and Gibraltar was our second stop. We were on a guided tour, and he pulled me aside to another trail and asked me to marry him. 

His mother was actually with us on the tour, so she was the first person we told (though she knew it was happening). We then called my parents. Since we were on the cruise and I had my phone shut off, I later emailed my brother and my closest friends from the ship to tell them the news. 
    @climbingbrideny Did he have to hide the ring from the monkeys?  Gibraltar is AMAZING!

• Options

@climbingbrideny Did he have to hide the ring from the monkeys?  Gibraltar is AMAZING!
    Haha! Right after he proposed, a monkey jumped onto his mother's head. We were dying. 
  • Options

Haha! Right after he proposed, a monkey jumped onto his mother's head. We were dying. 
    I have a pic of being there with a monkey on my head, those little suckers are aggressive!

• Options

I have a pic of being there with a monkey on my head, those little suckers are aggressive!
    That is great! They really are aggressive. I watched one steal like 5 lunches from a tour bus. 
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    In our favorite old-timey photo booth on the boardwalk, this summer.  It's the kind that takes three minutes to print and the pictures come out all wet.  We have a whole strip but the first attachment is just one of the frames.  I definitely forgot to say yes and cried at random intervals all night.

Edited to add: I forgot about who we told!  Our families knew it was happening, so we obviously told them.  Best friends the night of.  Called grandparents the next morning.  We gave ourselves about a day to just settle in and be excited and then we started telling our friends.  We are not "facebook official" but that's because neither of us cares.  The important people all know!

We made sure to go back during our engagement photos to get some cute shots of us in the booth goofing around!
  • Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    He proposed at the restaurant where we head our first date. After I said yes. All our family and super close friends busted in the door of the restaurant and we had a huge celebratory dinner. So I really didnt have to tell anyone.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    We were on a beach (California) where we were staying for a weekend. He originally planned to propose the following day when we planned to walk the beach to a nearby town. But we ended up going to the nearby beach at sunset that first night. The sunset was beautiful. We sat on a large piece of tree trunk/driftwood and watched. Someone had made a sandcastle earlier in the day just a few feet away. Then we spotted a paid of seals in the surf right in front of us. Then a pod of dolphins swam by. Then he got down on his knee and pulled the ring out of his pocket (luckily he brought it with him that night!) and asked. Neither of us like to be the center of attention, and the closest people were far enough away down the beach that they had no idea. It was perfect :)

Edited for who we told first: We called my sisters and my parents the following day. My FI had called my parents to ask for their blessing so they already knew. And of course my mom can't keep a secret so she blabbed to my sisters. I told a couple of my close friends in the coming week as I saw them in person. We waited about a week and a half to post it on Facebook so that we could tell all of immediate family and good friends personally.

Here is a photo I took of where it happened, BEFORE it actually happened! And just in case no one believes me about the dolphins:
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I live in NY. He proposed to me two days before my birthday in my apartment after I came home from work. He hid the ring in a present (a handbag) and recorded the proposal. 

I sent a mass picture text of my ring to my close friends and I FaceTimed my mom and dad to tell them. After close family and friends knew, I posted pictures and the video online.
  • Options
    I woke up to find that he had changed our FB statuses to engaged and a bunch of congratulatory messages. As I was pretty much the last to know, I didn't have to tell anyone.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    He flew across the country to see me (we were long distance at the time). He slipped a ring on my finger in my living room, on the couch while we were watching South Park. He didn't even ask, actually. He just said, "Lets get married" and that was it. He knew what my answer would be from the start. I told my parents, his already knew, and then my 2 very best friends but that's it. Everyone else found out through Facebook or my professor who found out via my Facebook (he made a class announcement the day after).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yesterday, in NYC. He didn't want to make a spectacle (thank goodness), so after we left Hallo Berlin he pulled me aside on a quiet street to give me a hug, said some delightful words and asked. It says perfect for me, after being at a special place to us. I told my best friend immediately and then my mom (sorry mom). Then we celebrated with pie and a beverage!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    HERE - at the Colonial B&B we stayed at last year when he was home from Afghanistan on R&R.  As soon as we got into our room he couldn't stand it any more and dropped to one knee and asked me.  He was supposed to have talked to his kids before he did it, but he said when we got there that I was too happy for him to not do it right then and there - of course I was happy, I hadn't seen him in 7 months and that B&B was amazing! 

• Options
    In the parking lot of the place we met (place i used to work).  I was completely shocked.  We were supposed to be going out to dinner and he pulled into the lot i didnt even notice where we were at first.   I didn't have the actual ring right away, because he wanted me to pick it so he gave me a "temp" ring. His parents knew he was proposing so they called me that night to congratulate me but I wanted until the next morning to tell anyway.  Told my parents/siblings and 2 best friends first.  Let anyone else just find out on their own. 
  • Options
    He threw me a surprise birthday party in August (my birthday is in December) because I don't typically get to celebrate my birthday as it's so close to Christmas. He did it in front of all my friends by pretending the ring had fallen out of the pinata they were making me hit.

And honestly, it was kind of mortifying. I'm not into public proposals or being the centre of attention. But his heart was in the right place and he did take care to only invite my close friends and keep the party small, so I wasn't mad about it. Just...yeah. Embarrassing. 

I didn't have to tell anyone because they were all there. I think I called my mom a day or two later.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    We were in Newport, RI, which is literally our favorite place in the whole wide world. We always joke and say it's our town, nobody else's. Anyways, I work 2 jobs and am a full-time student, so getting me away is tough with the schedule I have. He had asked me if I was working on a particular day, and I said no. He asked me if I would like to go to Newport, and then go to the Nordic Lodge (seafood restaurant we always go to as well) because since winter was coming it would be the only time we would be able to go before it got to cold.

So off we went. We got into Newport, and I asked him if we could go get lunch. He told me "no", we have to go to the cliff walk first because we hadn't done it in a long time. I went with it obviously. We got there and started walking and we walked a good 20 minutes before he said "bubba" (nickname for me), and I turned around and he was there on one knee etc etc.

APPARENTLY everyone I know is amazing at keeping secrets because they all knew. Most of my close friends knew, and even one of my friends from RI met us at one of the restaurants for lunch which was an awesome surprise because I don't see her often as I live in CT. I called my mom and sister, and then my dad and obviously texted all my friends. I couldn't believe it had happened so I was still in shock haha
  • Options
    @climbingbrideny @lacqueredloved I'm frigen DYING right now that you're talking about the monkeys. I went there when I was 12 and I got attacked/ jumped on by a huge adult ape. My dad and brother were yelling "throw the peanuts!!" and I was like "no, I want the peanuts!" and finally I threw them and it got off of me. But we laugh about the story ALL the time, and I've never known anyone else our age who has experienced it!! 

As for the original question, he proposed in our bedroom. I skyped my BFF since she was living out of the country and that's it. We left the next morning for a trip to Asia and I decided that I wanted to keep it a fun little vacation secret and spill the beans once we got back home. Well, I got impatient and told my mom and a few friends halfway through the trip. 

• Options
    We were watching the Fourth of July fireworks at Navy Pier.

We called both sets of parents and our siblings, and then we sent texts to our best friends. Once we knew we'd gotten a hold of everyone, we posted it on Facebook. I didn't dare do that before our nearest and dearest found out. I would have felt really bad if Random Friend from High School #30 knew before my MOH.
  • Options
    We were backpacking in Glacier National Park and he popped the question on the shore of this lake in the middle of the wilderness, 20 miles from the nearest road. We told no one for 2 weeks because we had no cell phone reception, and it was blissful!
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    @climbingbrideny @lacqueredloved I'm frigen DYING right now that you're talking about the monkeys. I went there when I was 12 and I got attacked/ jumped on by a huge adult ape. My dad and brother were yelling "throw the peanuts!!" and I was like "no, I want the peanuts!" and finally I threw them and it got off of me. But we laugh about the story ALL the time, and I've never known anyone else our age who has experienced it!! 

As for the original question, he proposed in our bedroom. I skyped my BFF since she was living out of the country and that's it. We left the next morning for a trip to Asia and I decided that I wanted to keep it a fun little vacation secret and spill the beans once we got back home. Well, I got impatient and told my mom and a few friends halfway through the trip. 
    @jenna8984 that is too funny! 
  • Options
    My FI and I have been long distance our entire relationship. We spend all holidays together because of built in vaca time to travel. I went to visit over Labor Day weekend and he suggested we revisit all of the places we went on my first trip to Memphis. I thought nothing of this because we had been to those on many of my trips. I just thought I was getting a good drink and BBQ. 

The Peabody hotel is our place. They have my favorite Old Fashioneds of anywhere and the rooftop has killer views of Memphis and the Mississippi River. So after he rushed me through my drink, we went to the rooftop. I started to get suspicious because it started raining. He grabbed my hand and pulled me to the back of the rooftop where their ducks are and proposed. His cousin was around the corner taking pictures of the whole thing.

After lots of ugly crying, we get back to the lobby. The elevator doors open and both of our families are waiting. My parents and sister had driven 8 hours without me knowing. Cue more ugly crying. 

I was too excited and just jumped for a hug...without even accepting the ring. 

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

One of my friends got jumped by an ape on Gibraltar too when we were about 22 and on a road trip through Andalucia. I've never laughed so hard.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kipper88 said:

He proposed in our kitchen.  And I called my grandma first.

My DH proposed in our kitchen too. :)

I got home from helping at a friend's garage sale and sat on the couch with him asking what he had been up to while I was gone. He said he had been reading his journal and then we talked about all of our favorite memories together, like our first date, cooking together in our kitchen the first time, etc.

Then he took me out to our front porch and asked me what his favorite memory out there was. I was really confused and couldn't think of anything, despite him making me try. He said that is where he saw me for the first time when he came to pick me up for our first date.

Then he pulled me by the hand back through the house to the kitchen and asked me to guess his favorite memory that happened in the kitchen. Since we had already talked about cooking together for the first time, I had no idea. He kept drawing it out, saying I had to know, come on and think, etc. Finally when I said I gave up and please just tell me, he said, "You'll remember next time I ask" and got down on one knee. It was perfect.

We told my sister first because she lives with us and was upstairs while it happened (she had no idea). Then we drove over to my parents house and told them (he had asked my dad for his blessing so they knew it was coming). Next was my BFF and her mom because the garage sale was around the corner from my folks. His parents and aunt and uncle were already coming up for dinner that night, and he wanted to wait to tell them when they got in town.
  • Options
    In our house, on the couch, in front of the TV.

I Skyped my parents first, changed my Facebook status second, and then told my co-workers third (at work).
  • Options
    I love everyone's responses! So sweet. It's funny how this day in age everything goes on Facebook or Instagram. That makes it official!
  • Options

We were at a Montreal Canadiens hockey game.

Montreal scored, and when they did that, my boyfriend got so excited and jumped up and down and hugged me so tightly that I could feel what I thought was a ring box in his pocket.

During about the halfway mark of the second period, there was a commercial break and birthday wishes and such began appearing on the Jumbo-tron. My boyfriend began watching the screen intently and suddenly a message appeared for me. It said "Kayley my BOO, I LOVE YOU! -Goomba." Brent later told me that the Bell Centre no longer allows people to put "Will you marry me?" on the jumbo-tron because too many people have said no (Eek!).

He then went down on one knee. He said, "Kayley, will you marry me?" I nodded and said yes, and he put the engagement ring on my finger.

We went back to our seats where I admired my ring. He then let me open another Christmas gift that really made me tear up: a custom Montreal Canadiens jersey with his last name on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards