Chit Chat

So I am kind of freaking out a little...TMI

Re: So I am kind of freaking out a little...TMI

• I have decided that if the test is negative, I am going to talk to H about the TTC timeline. I want to get his reasoning for pushing it up so drastically and then maybe suggest that we stop not trying. Or should I just not say anything to him if it is negative and just go about my merry way until our timeline is here? So many questions!

You should definitely talk about it and share how it's making you feel!

Yes! Don't lock away your feelings because you're not sure if you should talk about it. We looove you and are so glad you've shared your burden with us so that you can feel better!

image   image   image

• I have decided that if the test is negative, I am going to talk to H about the TTC timeline. I want to get his reasoning for pushing it up so drastically and then maybe suggest that we stop not trying. Or should I just not say anything to him if it is negative and just go about my merry way until our timeline is here? So many questions!

Yeah you guys should definitely talk about it. Just to make sure you're on the same page.
  • Get back to us, sara! Good vibes either way (:
  • Definitely talk to your hubby and POAS with your first morning urine tomorrow.

I'm the meantime, try to chill out. Freaking out won't make your period show up and you won't get that answer until tomorrow morning.

Hugs!
  • to add my two cents, like I posted in another thread, I was you about a month and a half ago. 

I was 2 days late with morning nausea and weird unusual symptoms. 

I took a test. 

I read it as positive (astigmatism) and I was crying and freaking out for 2 HOURS. I am in my first year of med school, living off loans, wedding in June, Fi is nowhere near ready for kids and neither am I. 

We had always talked about abortion. And here I was sitting with a pee stick bawling my eyes out, thinking that we had no choice but abort but I would hate myself forever if we aborted, and I could never finish med school with a child. 

Made me realize, having kids is what I want but not yet. Then I realized I read the test wrong and I was a moron. 

Take a breath, relax, take a bubble bath with some candles and music and take that test ASAP to ease your mind. 

Hoping you get the results you want

• I'm so anxious to hear back.... please do update us!!! 
  • Did you do it yet???

I take tests kind of obsessively and often for no good reason and I am similarly both relieved and disappointed every time I do.

I also wanted to move up our timeline but was nervous about talking to H about it and out of the blue one day he asked when we should start a family. Turned out we were on the same page- we'd like to now but I should get through school first so the plan is to start trying so that I hopefully get pregnant during school and have the baby right after. Still sooner than originally planned. I am guessing he is right there with you. 

Good luck either way! 
  • Ok so I haven't taken it yet. I didn't get home until 11 last night and didn't have time to go to the store. I am picking one up right after work today. Do you have to take it in the morning for it to be the most accurate?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thinking of you and hoping you get the results you want! Either way, I think you will be okay :)

• Ok so I haven't taken it yet. I didn't get home until 11 last night and didn't have time to go to the store. I am picking one up right after work today. Do you have to take it in the morning for it to be the most accurate?
    From what I understand, if you're already 5 days late then it doesn't matter when you take it. Hopefully you get the answer you're looking for.
  • sarawifenowsarawifenow member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Ok so I haven't taken it yet. I didn't get home until 11 last night and didn't have time to go to the store. I am picking one up right after work today. Do you have to take it in the morning for it to be the most accurate?
    From what I understand, if you're already 5 days late then it doesn't matter when you take it. Hopefully you get the answer you're looking for.

Thanks for the clarification @loveislouder. I am 6 days late today.

Ok more advice please! Should I tell H I am taking the test?

ETA: Should I wait until I have the answer to approach the subject?

I would tell him you are.  I know my FI would be very upset knowing I was going through that uncertainty alone and would certainly rather know I felt it was a possibility I was pregnant than just be blindsided by "so hey I'm preggo" know what I mean?

• >-----snip----<

I would tell him you are.  I know my FI would be very upset knowing I was going through that uncertainty alone and would certainly rather know I felt it was a possibility I was pregnant than just be blindsided by "so hey I'm preggo" know what I mean?

Yeah you are probably right. Haha I am going to be like, can you please make sure the chicken doesn't burn? I am going to go pee on a stick. Well maybe I will put it a little bit better...

FWIW - I took my test when I was 2 days late, during lunch at work...alone, and when it was a BFP I didn't have anyone to share it with AND had to make it through the rest of the day at work! DH had no idea I was taking it (bought it on a whim at lunch), though he did know I was late, but it was still a total shock for him when I walked in after work and handed it to him. 

In hindsight, I wish I had waited to POS when I got home so he could've been there with me as we waited for the result. I'd highly suggest telling him you're taking it...you're in this together, regardless of the outcome. And it sounds like a timeline conversation is much needed anyway so get to talking!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My husband always knows when I think I might be pregnant. No reason to keep it a secret from him.

By "think I might be pregnant," I mean that I'm experiencing symptoms that make me wonder if I'm pregnant. Because I don't get periods anymore because of my IUD, I can't use a late period as an indicator that I might be pregnant.
    Anniversary
    now with ~* INCREASED SASSINESS *~
  • I definitely think you should tell your husband. I've only had one major pregnancy scare. My periods have never been super regular (like some months I'm a few days early and some months I'm a few days late) so I usually don't freak out for the first 7 days (but only because that's how my body is). I was on BC at the time and that made it even more irregular because some months I didn't have a period.

Well during freshman year of college I was like 2 weeks late and I for sure thought I was pregnant. I was an idiot and too scared to take pregnancy test and didn't tell FI (BF at the time). When he eventually found out, because I had been acting weird and distant, he was really hurt that I didn't feel comfortable enough to tell him. He didn't want me going through those emotions of fear and sadness and maybe a little happiness alone. 

I ended up not being pregnant and I think it was so late because I was stressing so much about it.

• levieenroselevieenrose member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    Good luck! I'm wishing you joy in whichever outcome happens. 

Because I am neurotic about possibly getting pregnant, I never tell DH when I test. I have a few extra tests around for peace of mind (they do expire, though). Besides, if we do have an "accident" earlier than we (I) want, I still want to be able to tell him calmly, and hopefully happily. I sometimes think about what cute way I would want to tell him he'll be a daddy. I know if I was freaking out about it, no matter what he said to placate me I would probably take it the wrong way. And if he was happy about it, then I don't want to regret being the "evil parent" that didn't have any hope for our future child.

Don't know if that helps, and I certainly think if it's really upsetting you that you should talk with him about it. But wishing all goes well either way!

ETA: I was a "happy accident," so that surely colors my opinion. My parents had just decided they were going to save for a house first and then have kids when woops! I'm glad they decided to be happy about keeping me although I came a little too early for their plans. 

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Good luck! I'm wishing you joy in whichever outcome happens. 

Because I am neurotic about possibly getting pregnant, I never tell DH when I test. I have a few extra tests around for peace of mind (they do expire, though). Besides, if we do have an "accident" earlier than we (I) want, I still want to be able to tell him calmly, and hopefully happily. I sometimes think about what cute way I would want to tell him he'll be a daddy. I know if I was freaking out about it, no matter what he said to placate me I would probably take it the wrong way. And if he was happy about it, then I don't want to regret being the "evil parent" that didn't have any hope for our future child.

Don't know if that helps, and I certainly think if it's really upsetting you that you should talk with him about it. But wishing all goes well either way!
    I've taken tests when I was with past boyfriends before and didn't tell them. Sometimes because I knew I was being crazy and it was only for my own peace of mind, sometimes because I knew the timing wasn't right and I wanted to be able to wrap my own head around it before bringing them into it. But this is your husband - he's signed on to go through all of this with you. If you're scared, let him be there for you.

I do wonder though when I get to the POAS phase of TTC if it'll be a big production of waiting for the results and finding out the news together, or if I'll take the test myself and then have the excitement of surprise him with it myself. It'll never be a TOTAL surprise since he'll know we're trying (like when people "want to be surprised" by the baby's sex - you have two options, it shouldn't be a total surprise). I kind of selfishly want to have that time to soak in the news myself, and then tell him in a better way than "look at this thing I peed on."

• What phira said. Your body may just be reacting to stress, even if you're not mentally registering it as such and feel fine. I've had late periods from stress and no babies yet. But FWIW, two good friends of ours just had a baby two months ago, when they had planned to wait at least a whole year before TTC. They were shocked. Flash forward, baby is healthy, they're doing great, and while they're not as financially set as they'd wanted to be, they are responsible about budgeting and said it was pretty easy to get him on Medicaid for the time being while they finish grad school and look for jobs. You will be ok either way.
    Usually its recommended to use First Morning Urine because it is more concentrated and will likely have the highest amount of hCG making the test more accurate at detecting the hormone.

That is usually when you want to test before your period is due. If you are already late, it shouldn't make a difference because after the day of your expected period you hCG level rise dramatically. 

So if you are pregnant it should be detected at any time. 

• JaniV123 said:
    Ok so I haven't taken it yet. I didn't get home until 11 last night and didn't have time to go to the store. I am picking one up right after work today. Do you have to take it in the morning for it to be the most accurate?
    Usually its recommended to use First Morning Urine because it is more concentrated and will likely have the highest amount of hCG making the test more accurate at detecting the hormone.

That is usually when you want to test before your period is due. If you are already late, it shouldn't make a difference because after the day of your expected period you hCG level rise dramatically. 

So if you are pregnant it should be detected at any time. 
    This is ONLY IF you actually ovulated on time though - generally if your cycle is thrown off, it's because you ovulated late. AF comes pretty consistently 11-14 days after you ovulate. If you ovulated 5 days late though (stress can delay this, among other things) your period isn't actually late yet. This could cause a false negative.

So if it's negative today, and AF doesn't come in another day or two, test again with your first morning pee. :)

• H was joking with me the other day that I should buy pregnancy tests in bulk at Costco because I start to freak out/get excited pretty much as soon as I'm late/feel nauseated. I really need to get that under control before we TTC, because I'm going to drive both of us insane.

• @lolo883 thanks for the add on, I didnt think of that when posting. 

my silly brain is on Respiratory physiology and Biochem atm 

• Buy a three pack ( at least) and take one immediately, because I'm dying to know over here! Then you'll have extras to do your first morning urine tomorrow morning if it comes back negative.

FWIW, I didn't tell my H (FI at the time) that I was testing. I was on my way home from a month long summer program (3 hours away by car) and I threw up all over the car. I already had a doctor's appointment set up immediately when I got home, because I hadn't been feeling well for about a week and a half. I thought, hmm, maybe when I get to the doctor I'll have that checked, just in case. So I didn't really have time to tell FI/H about it. Then, while I was waiting several hours on the lab results, I decided I didn't want to start the conversation until I knew which way it was going to go. I'm all for open communication, I just didn't want to work him up into a panic for no reason. I think this is a personal choice and you can decide what feels right for you.
  • I'm like lavieenrose, I've taken so many tests out of sheer paranoia that I usually don't tell H. I don't want to make a big deal over nothing. I don't think I've ever been more than a couple days late though, and my "symptoms" are always minimal. I do usually keep him updated and I'l be like hm, should've gotten my period and my boobs kinda hurt then later it's oh hey I took a test and it was negative. Oh hey, there's my period! 

So I don't think it's a must do either way. Considering you're 6 days and that you're kind of excited for it though, I might tell him you're taking it. 

TAKE ONE DAMMIT. I came on here just to see haha. 
  • Longest day ever. I keep checking back in to see if you've tested yet. Fingers are crossed for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards