Chit Chat

Tattoos

Do you have tattoos?  Of what? Where?  Any special meaning?

Sound off on tattoos!

I have one, it's Rosie the Riveter.  A little "been done before, I know, but my mom worked in a factory my whole life and did so much for me.  It's a little homage to her I guess you could say.

I'm thinking about getting another one, but not sure what and/or where I'd put it (I like to be able to easily hide them when I need to).

My ex was a tattoo artist so he did my first (only) one, so I'd also have to do a little research on a reputable shop / artist before I got another.

Re: Tattoos

• beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    All on/around left thigh: Giglio (florentine emblem), Modified Medici family crest, Vatican City coat of arms.

Lower back, left: a short passage from a book.

ETA: I want to get a small bee on the outside of each wrist. I REALLY want to get a scene from a Koson woodblock print on my back but all my funds are dedicated to other things for the next couple of years.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Beethery, do you have Medici family ties?

I just read a book about Mona Lisa who lived during the reign of the Medici so they were obviously mentioned quite often in the book.

• I have 2! I have a butterfly on the back of my right hip, above my butt haha. That was my tribute to stupid decisions in college. And I also have "Let it be" on my foot because I love the beatles and I think this is good philosophy for my life as I'm usually a worry-wart.

Can I also say that I KNOW it's stupid to get someone's name tattooed on you, like really effing stupid, but lately I've been thinking how much FI means to me and how I feel about him that I wouldn't totally hate putting his name really small on my ring finger or something...  *dodges flying objects*

Anniversary

• I have three:

Peacock feature behind my ear.
    California on my foot (with a heart on LA).
    Definition of the word "chortle" on my inner left arm.

I want SO many more: I want to add a diamond to my CA on Napa (where I got married).
    The mouse from If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.
    The walrus from the Disney movie Alice in Wonderland and his word "the time has come to talk of many thing. Of shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and Kings."
    I want to somehow Incorporate my favorite quote ("man's real life is happy chiefly because he's ever believing it soon will be so.") and a dead tree.

I'm sure I can think of many more!
  • amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    I'm the only one of my friends without one. FI too. I've thought about it many times but just never bit the bullet, and now I kinda like my skin as-is. I'm planning to have a midlife crisis and get a huge colourful piece all over my back or ribcage in 20 years though, I think.

ETA: My display photo shows some pretty kickass airbrush tattooing I had done at a Pride party last year though...lol. Can I get a glow-in-the-dark tattoo like that one when I have that midlife crisis?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have 2! I have a butterfly on the back of my right hip, above my butt haha. That was my tribute to stupid decisions in college. And I also have "Let it be" on my foot because I love the beatles and I think this is good philosophy for my life as I'm usually a worry-wart.

Can I also say that I KNOW it's stupid to get someone's name tattooed on you, like really effing stupid, but lately I've been thinking how much FI means to me and how I feel about him that I wouldn't totally hate putting his name really small on my ring finger or something...  *dodges flying objects*

My fiance and I have talked about getting each other's names.  I know people say it's stupid- hey sometimes we have to learn the hard way; right...?
  •  

I have 2! I have a butterfly on the back of my right hip, above my butt haha. That was my tribute to stupid decisions in college. And I also have "Let it be" on my foot because I love the beatles and I think this is good philosophy for my life as I'm usually a worry-wart.

My fiance and I have talked about getting each other's names.  I know people say it's stupid- hey sometimes we have to learn the hard way; right...?

My FI is not on board with this AT ALL haha. I know he loves me, but he's a good deal more rational than I am at times. I don't know what he'd say if I came to him and told him it was something I really wanted to do. I don't think he'd tell me I couldn't (because I'm grown and he's not the boss of me, I tell him this often) but I don't think he'd be running to get my name put on him lol
    Anniversary

• I have 5. Turtles on my front left shoulder, 4 stars on my left wrist, a penguin on my right wrist, a breast cancer ribbon with a Mom banner on my right shoulder and a script on my left shoulder with music notes and colors.

Can't wait to be a trashy tattooed bride :)

• I have 5. Turtles on my front left shoulder, 4 stars on my left wrist, a penguin on my right wrist, a breast cancer ribbon with a Mom banner on my right shoulder and a script on my left shoulder with music notes and colors. Can't wait to be a trashy tattooed bride :)
    If I had a job in a field where it didn't matter so much, I might have more and be okay with showing them off. 

Tattoos can be very beautiful and they really are an art form; there's a reason a person who tattoos has "artist" in their title.

Tattoo-bride-it-up, I say!
  • Beethery, do you have Medici family ties?

I just read a book about Mona Lisa who lived during the reign of the Medici so they were obviously mentioned quite often in the book.

Oh boy, I wish I did. Unfortunately, I do not, besides being a HUUUUUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE Italian (and Florentine, in particular) renaissance art freak. I went to Florence for a month while I was in college and did the art school thing. Florence is my #2 favorite place on the planet. The first being Kauai. I plan to get some kind of Kauai-inspired tattoo at some point.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I have 5. Turtles on my front left shoulder, 4 stars on my left wrist, a penguin on my right wrist, a breast cancer ribbon with a Mom banner on my right shoulder and a script on my left shoulder with music notes and colors.

Can't wait to be a trashy tattooed bride :)

If I had a job in a field where it didn't matter so much, I might have more and be okay with showing them off. 

Tattoos can be very beautiful and they really are an art form; there's a reason a person who tattoos has "artist" in their title.

Tattoo-bride-it-up, I say!

-----boxes boxes-----

I was going to cover them, but then I said "Why the fuck would I?"

But seriously, the ones on my wrists are awful haha I dated a guy for five years that hated tattoos and when we split "I'll show you!!!" Immediately ran out and got my wrists done. Huge mistake lol oh well :) they're a great convo starter.

• jdluvr06jdluvr06 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    I have 7.

I have "believe" in Sankrist on my wrist. That is a matching one my sister and I went and got together.

I have the eye of Osiris on my left shoulder. The first two notes of "Swan Lake overture" on the back of my neck. Black lilies on my inner thigh. A fairy sitting crosslegged on a mushroom with a cat that looks like my dearly departed kitty sitting on her lap on my lower leg. A Celtic protection knot on my hip. And my personal favorite, a back piece that is a huge tree with all the Alice in Wonderland characters on it. I owe you guys a picture of that. Dh finally took the pic but I've been too lazy to load it on my computer.

ETA: I forgot about the quote above the tree. It says "begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end : then stop"
  • I have three:

A butterfly on my left shoulder.

One on my foot it says :This Too Shall Pass with a purple flower wrapped around the text. It's from an ED I suffered from for 5-6 years.

I also have one on my wrist with my Grandma and Grandpa's initials because they were both very close to me before they passed away. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @sarawifenow, that is hot as HELL.

@beethery seriously?  Have we talked about this before?  More proof that you are my long lost sister.

ANYWAYS I have one tat, really want to get more.  The one I have is a (very) abstract sketch of two people holding each other on my hip.  I got it in college after some pretty tough times and decided I wanted a permanent reminder of the fact that "there is good in the world:.  I worked with a really good friend of mine at the time and we came up with the design.  A lot of people look at it and think it's a fish or some other blobbiness, but it means a lot to me whenever I see it.  
    Anniversary

• Yep! I have a bunch.

I see that you are in Woodstock (that's where I work!), SO I would HIGHLY recommend Area 51 Tattoo in Crystal Lake. That's Where I got all of mine. Desirea and Joe do a great job!
  • I have far too many more tattoo ideas that I want. There is no way I can get them all. I know that I definitely want one that says "though she be but little she is fierce" that quote reminds me of my great grandmother. Also I would love to have some kind of water color tattoo. I think they are so pretty.
  • Yep! I have a bunch.

I see that you are in Woodstock (that's where I work!), SO I would HIGHLY recommend Area 51 Tattoo in Crystal Lake. That's Where I got all of mine. Desirea and Joe do a great job!
    I am and thanks for that referral. My ex knew the owner of Blue Magic, Puppet, but I don't even know if he still owns it.

There's a parlor just off the square where I live- Lucky Lady or s/t like that, but I know nothing about them.
  • edited December 2014
    I love these threads. I love showing mine off, and I love seeing everyone else's.

I've got four: a quill and inkpot on my left foot, a Deathly Hallows on my right calf, a rose behind my right ear, and "Imagine" in my mother's handwriting on my left collarbone. I've got plans to get "Let it be" on my right collarbone in London (London knotties, recs would be appreciated!!!)

I don't get to show them off often enough. Stupid grown up job...

Eta had a pic but it wouldn't upload. Stupid mobile.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  •  

I have 2! I have a butterfly on the back of my right hip, above my butt haha. That was my tribute to stupid decisions in college. And I also have "Let it be" on my foot because I love the beatles and I think this is good philosophy for my life as I'm usually a worry-wart.

My FI is not on board with this AT ALL haha. I know he loves me, but he's a good deal more rational than I am at times. I don't know what he'd say if I came to him and told him it was something I really wanted to do. I don't think he'd tell me I couldn't (because I'm grown and he's not the boss of me, I tell him this often) but I don't think he'd be running to get my name put on him lol
    Well marriage is supposed to be forever and you aren't really supposed to plan for divorce
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

My friend and her husband have each other's names integrated into designs as negative space. Easy to cover just in case.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I'm really psyched to get one. Maybe just a Celtic cross. How much do they hurt?
  • larrygaga said:

Well marriage is supposed to be forever and you aren't really supposed to plan for divorce

How would you feel if your spouse dies, and you eventually get remarried? How would you feel about having their name on you (visible or not)? Some may like the idea of it as a tribute, others may not - moving forward.

I wouldn't get my Hs name on me..

image   image   image

• Love tattoo threads! I have four and plan on getting many more. My in laws are covered in tattoos and H and I plan to do the same.

AW-ing some wedding pics to show off the tattoos on my arms. I also have one on my ribs and one on my hip. My next will either be a mermaid on my inner arm to go with the ship or a vintage looking hot air balloon on my back/shoulder.
  • I want a lace snowflake and/or something with a tree and birds (sisters would get matching ones) and/or something nautical since my dad and grandpa are/were both sailors, maybe in watercolor... but idk. H isn't crazy about the idea (it's not his call but I'll take it into consideration).

I have a cross with some misty clouds and stars around it.

• I've thought about it but I always end up deciding not too. I think if you are going to get a tattoo it should be a really good one therefore really expensive usually. So I always think of other things I rather spend the money on. I do think a lot of tattooes are really pretty though!
  •  

How would you feel if your spouse dies, and you eventually get remarried? How would you feel about having their name on you (visible or not)? Some may like the idea of it as a tribute, others may not - moving forward. I wouldn't get my Hs name on me..
    Cover up art is a thing, or like I mentioned above, get the name integrated into the design with negative space so it's even easier to cover up if necessary.

Or getting the tattoo you want, and dealing with it on your own terms because that's what people do.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards