Chit Chat

Recap of the 2014 weddings

I want to hear about them all: the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I went to seven this past year. Only two (TWO!) were lovely and properly hosted. 

The other five... cash bars at all, two were PPDs (B&G were already married in a courthouse ceremony), one was a DW at a crappy resort, and one had the worst DJ I've ever seen.

I was a BM for one and FI was a groomsman for three. Grand combined total spent is $depressing. I'm thankful at this moment that my 2015 wedding is the only one I'm attending next year.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Recap of the 2014 weddings

• Sugargirl1019Sugargirl1019 member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    Just my own this year! Which was fabulously hosted because my mother ingrained the "guests don't pay for drinks" mantra in me from the start! Aaannd the knotties stopped me from doing a few other blunders too. :)

ETA: I lie. We attended DHs friends wedding in May. It was lovely, but the bride didn't come over once to say hi, and I was sad. We had to pull her out of her dance circle to say bye. We drove 3 hours to your wedding, say hi. And I never received a thank you note for my generous check.

image   image   image

• I went to a wedding in NJ of a friend I met online 10 years ago. It was awesome! Granted it was on a Sunday and I ended up having to take a little more vacation, it was super nice to see her and her fiance/husband and a few of her friends that I had met from the last time I visited. The bar was fully hosted, the food was AMAZING. There was an appropriate cocktail hour and then a huge dessert bar... the dancing was lacking, but that was okay by me. And there was transportation provided to and from our hotel. It was a great visit. And they're coming to our wedding in May :)

That was my one and only 2014 wedding. 

• We "only" had 2.  I say only in quotes because they were for H's brother and my sister, and they were 2 weeks apart.  H was the best man and I was a MOH, so they kept us busy for the weeks leading up to them.

Both of them were lovely and we're both happy to have new siblings-in-law.
  • slothiegalslothiegal member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    ShesSoCold said: I only had my own wedding this year. 
    Which, if I may say so myself, was pretty damned fantastic. Especially for being planned in 13 very emotional days.
    Edited because I had my wedding, not has. I'm not a cat meme.

---------------------
    @ShesSoCold now, c'mon, everyone knows you can't have a
    good wedding in just 13 days.  Why didn't you just go to the courthouse and have a real one later?

You know I'm kidding.  I am ALWAYS impressed with your ability to throw together a kick ass wedding in less than two weeks!

ETA box
    Anniversary

• edited December 2014
    ShesSoCold said:
    I only had my own wedding this year. 

Which, if I may say so myself, was pretty damned fantastic. Especially for being planned in 13 very emotional days.

Edited because I had my wedding, not has. I'm not a cat meme.
    @ShesSoCold now, c'mon, everyone knows you can't have a good wedding in just 13 days.  Why didn't you just go to the courthouse and have a real one later?

You know I'm kidding.  I am ALWAYS impressed with your ability to throw together a kick ass wedding in less than two weeks!
    LOL I know. I really dropped the ball. I could have gotten WAY more envelopes and people telling me I look pretty. Isn't that what's important anyway? Nevermind that my dying mother was able to be there. 

Edited to note that it really wasn't that impressive. We were planning on getting married only a few weeks after the emergency wedding so we had almost everything, just had to push it up. The hardest part was finding and booking the new place and letting everyone know since there was no time for mail. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • jenna8984jenna8984 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014

A friend got married at the courthouse in March and posted it all over FB, changed her name, not a secret. In May I received an invitation to her bridal shower. I was like WTF is this?? Did not attend because, you know, she's married. June she posts all these pics in a wedding gown on the beach in FL with her immediate family. Still don't understand that one....

Edited to delete pic because I just told a friend/bride to come check out the forum and don't want to be instantly recognized.

• The only one I had to attend this year was a close friend's. They had a Friday 7PM ceremony at a historic brewery, followed by heavy passed apps and a couple food stations, cookies and cake, and a late-night sandwich bar. There were two rooms for the reception where people were free to pass between with a DJ in one room and karaoke in the other. Open bar with the brewery's own beer on tap. It was a lot of fun, and the only thing that I didn't like was that they didn't have enough seats for the ceremony (and had staff going around saying "Oh, the chairs are for family only), so I ended up standing awkwardly right on the edge of the aisle for the whole thing. It wasn't long but I felt really weird about it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I went to two this year.  I think everyone knows about the clusterfuck wedding I was in, so no need to rehash that.

The other wedding I attended was nice, but I never received a thank you for the gift so that was a little irritating.  The other weird thing was the seating arrangement.  We were placed at a table with people we didn't know at all, even though we knew a ton of other people at the wedding.  And the people at our table talked to other people they knew and took our chairs so we couldn't sit down.  Our mutual friend (who knew no one else at the wedding except for SO and me and the Groom) was seated at another different table by herself.  It just didn't make any sense, but other than that the wedding was a lot of fun.  (Gasp! It was a dry wedding and we STILL danced the night away!)

• I was in one this year. It was a destination wedding over Easter weekend, which would have been a deal breaker except that it was a family friend who I always spent Easter with growing up. It was at a ranch/retreat place in the Texas Hill Country, like 50 miles from civilization. Beautiful ceremony (on a hill top overlooking miles of scenery) and a fun reception. Aside from some brideslavery and drama between the MOB and MOG, it was a fun weekend with family friends.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I went to two horrible tacky rude ones and one really amazing one! I might be biased, the amazing one was FSIL and I was a bridesmaid. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I had three but only actually made it to 2 of them, mine and one of my friend's.

At my friend's wedding cocktail hour went on for almost 2 hours and there was no food during that time. Bride never talked to us except when we said good bye. No thank you note for the generous check we gave them (wedding was the first weekend in May).

My other friends who got married had a train wreck, according to my friends that went. They asked my sister who lives with us for our address at a party we were at and then didn't invite her to the wedding. One friend was a groomsman, and his wife was not invited to the rehearsal dinner. There was a gap of over an hour between the ceremony and reception with nothing to do but sit (with no chairs) outside the reception room until they opened the doors. I can't remember what else they said. We couldn't go because we were on our honeymoon.

Our wedding was awesome. No gaps, hosted well, everyone who should be invited to everything was, we both spoke to every guest at the wedding, and thank you notes were sent the week after the wedding before we left on our honeymoon. Plus the food was awesome and the dance floor was packed.
  • I only had 2 this year (after the past 5 years having 5-6 each year). Both were nice, but each had plenty of faux pas. I already talked about both when they happened this year.

Next year I already have 4 I know about with 2 that will be overnight/weekend trips (to new places for H and I to visit). Looking forward to them.

Anniversary
  • Maybe I'm biased, but I have to say my wedding was the best wedding I went to this year! Okay, so it was the only one I went to, but delicious food, open bar, and fun music-I feel like that qualifies as a good wedding.
  • Wegl13Wegl13 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2014
    Ooh ooh I wanna go me me me!
    I went to three weddings this year. I RECEIVED ZERO PAPER WEDDING INVITATIONS THIS YEAR. This is super weird. I will explain.
    1. Burlap bouquet. Light pink bridesmaid dresses. Cowboy boots. Bling. Outdoor wedding. COLDEST DAY OF THE F-ing fall. I did not receive an invitation to this one because she was trying to be cheap and hand them all out to people, and then like even though she verbally invited everyone from work, she didn't actually invite everyone from work, but she took people aside and actually invited them. So some people had to work that day, and clearly didn't get invitations of any variety. Which was suuuuuuuper awkward. And hurtful.
    2. My wedding. Which was the best, totes obvs. See what I did there. Guess what didn't send myself an invitation to this one. I had great fun, exactly enough chairs, the best food (everyone loved it even though it was kind of olive heavy), and my husband wasn't sick by the time the ceremony rolled around. What more could you ask for?
    3. Husband's cousins wedding the weekend after ours (on the coveted 12/13/14). Kind of a quick affair for reasons, so no time for invites to go out. We were invited verbally at thanksgiving. It was a really sweet church wedding with the best punch EVER (ginger ale with cranapple and cranberries floating in it- I seriously could have made myself sick), except the fact that the groomsmen may or may not have been wearing our rivals college teams on their ties. No judgement though. The grooms dad looked like their college head coach, I kid you not.
  • I have a small family and mostly single friends. DH's friends are mostly married. That means no weddings this year.

To remedy that, DH and I got married. :smiley:

Our wedding was fabulous (and delicious)!
  • Just mine! And it was pretty damn awesome - beautiful sunset ceremony, perfect weather, awesome food, open bar and all of our close family and friends. I need some more of my friends to get engaged and married though so I can go to more weddings.
  • This could technically go in the "worst weddings" thread but I'll play here. I was a BM in one this year. It was supposed to be January, but then got pushed to June. BMs and MOH were replaced. The original venue was supposed to be a local farm, and the bride and groom invited all guests to bring a tent so we could all camp out on the farm after the reception. 

Only the groom never got around to paying the deposit, the owners of the farm retired, and they had no venue. This was March/April, two months before the wedding. Then they send a youtube video to all of us and say "hey, can you guys learn this dance? Yeah it's going to be really dorky but that's us! It'll be great!" So some of the BMs learned it. The GM did not. New venue is now another farm.

Day of the wedding, BMs are getting ready at the hotel. Ceremony supposed to start at 12:30. We leave the hotel at 12:35. Get to the farm, bride and BMs jump in the back of the BM's pickup and we drive up the hill to the ceremony, where it is 90 degrees, no shade, and no more than 6 chairs. And 50+ people. Walk down the aisle, the officiant asks "Do you Groom take Bride to be your wife?" Groom's response: I showed up, didn't I?

Reception: At least no one had to pay for drinks. Tables were picnic tables, no shade. Still 90 degrees in early June in Connecticut. Bridal party is at a head table under a tent. MOH ditches head table to sit with her husband and invites me to join because I don't know anyone else and my BF wasn't invited because they didn't know him (any other time, this would have been a sticking point for me to not go, but I knew it would be a shitshow and didn't want to leave him miserable and by himself). Food was barely edible. No one danced, bride was sad. Her parents left around 3:30pm. Most people started filtering out by 4:30-5.

No thank you note for gifts and haven't seen the bride since (and only talked to her a few times). 

Also, I write too much and I am sorry for the novels. 
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2014
    OMG, @snarkymaid. That sounds awwwwwwful. 
  • flantasticflantastic member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2014
    1) Awesome, huge wedding in Chicago. All my college friends, interesting venue, well-hosted from start to finish. Still waiting on a thank you note, though. Considering it was in March, I doubt that's happening.

2) Wedding back on our grad school campus, which meant their available church timeslot was 9 AM. The reception was in the evening. Luckily, one of my grad school friends and her H lived in town, so we had someplace to go during the absurd gap. Then there was a partially hosted bar and dollar dance at the reception. The dollar dance went on forever so my "I'm leaving the ballroom to go to..." excuses began to run out and it just became obvious that I had no interest in participating. Whatever. I got a text as a thank you note for that one.

3) Mine! Which was, of course, awesome.
  • I went to three weddings this year. I was in all of them. First wedding was a typical pinterest barn wedding. Dollar dance, blah. Good casual food. Nothing spectacular but nothing horrible. Second wedding was a big church wedding. Really nice. Cash bar :/ Other than that it was pretty great though. Last wedding was mine. Which I obviously loved :)

Next year we've already gotten invited to three ... oh boy. 
  • Had 4 this year. Surprisingly all went really well. Some minor etiquette breaches here and there but nothing to cause to much side-eye.

The only thing that was really worthy of note was the DJ at one was the worst dj of life. He let songs come to a complete end, 5 second pause, then new song. At one point a song ended and he was outside on his phone and no new song started. Played the same song twice. In a row. Eventually a guest actually took over at the brides request. It was... terrible.

• The only wedding I attended other than my own was amazing.

It was held in the B&G's house, with my H and I as witnesses. Bride's mom was the only other guest, and they took us out for burgers after. It was really cute, because the bride's 2-year-old son hugged his mom's leg the whole time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • I have been to three. All shit shows.

One was a go fund me hell. They had go fund me on the invites, and even announced another one since bride was preggers and had decided to quit her job at 8 weeks to take care of baby. (She worked a desk job at a student library so I am skeptical of the whole ordeal. Especially considering it was still ok to go out to parties and have a "few" drinks with friends every weekend.) Groom got drunk and ended up with his hands on about every girl there. And was later found in the bride's getting ready room getting a blow job from an ex (also shitfaced). So yeah... You can imagine the joys of that whole experience.

The other two weren't quite so bad. One PPD. Both with cash bars. And for my old college roommate's wedding, she decided to drop me as a BM two weeks out because I couldn't fit her perfect height match for her FI's emergency replacement GM. The original guy had an appendectomy and couldn't fly out for the wedding. Needless to say we don't talk anymore.
  • Got invited to 2. Only went to one. It was amazing. My cousin went all out, the favor was a bottle of ale. Decorations were great.
    The other one i didn't go to because FI and I had things to do and apparently we weren't the only ones to not show.
  • I apparently have no memory. I went to two other weddings this year. One was a nice PPD with a gap and an outdoor ceremony in the sun when it was 92 degrees out but otherwise well hosted. The other was a nice enough, etiquette approved generic "rustic" mason jar wedding.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • lovedryn said:
    I have been to three. All shit shows. One was a go fund me hell. They had go fund me on the invites, and even announced another one since bride was preggers and had decided to quit her job at 8 weeks to take care of baby. (She worked a desk job at a student library so I am skeptical of the whole ordeal. Especially considering it was still ok to go out to parties and have a "few" drinks with friends every weekend.) Groom got drunk and ended up with his hands on about every girl there. And was later found in the bride's getting ready room getting a blow job from an ex (also shitfaced). So yeah... You can imagine the joys of that whole experience. The other two weren't quite so bad. One PPD. Both with cash bars. And for my old college roommate's wedding, she decided to drop me as a BM two weeks out because I couldn't fit her perfect height match for her FI's emergency replacement GM. The original guy had an appendectomy and couldn't fly out for the wedding. Needless to say we don't talk anymore.

Did those first people actually get married?!?!?
  • Between the time we got engaged to when we got married we went to 15 weddings. None of which were this year. It was nice to have the only wedding of the year. I'll be an AW and post my highlight video of just how awesome it was.
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards