Chit Chat

UO

Re: UO

• jenna8984 said:

Another Beyonce hater. And I've always hated Jay Z.

And I don't like the Beatles.

You can sit with my FI in the "What the fuck is wrong with you?" corner ;) He doesn't get them either. "I mean, the music isn't bad, but to say they changed a generation? No."

omg I can't handle that. They did more for music than like anyone. ever. I can't even make a coherent sentence about it right now. I need to pretend your FI does not exist.

Oh the world's first boy band? Yeah I can't stand The Beatles, either.

They have a few songs I like but overall I find them to be overblown and annoying.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• The pledge creeps me out too. And I know it creeps out my Canadian and European friends. No, it's nothing like Nazism at all, but it is very creepy indoctrination.

I pledge allegiance, to the Knot, as the bombest state of the Internet.
    And to the good etiquette, for which it stands,
    All nations, no cash bars, with liberty and wedding cake for all.
    Amen.

--

I'm the fuck
    out.

• FiancB said:
    Saying the pledge or singing the anthem en masse kinda creeps me out.
    I refuse to do it. Ever. I am a terrible American.

I won't do the pledge becuase I refuse to say the words "one nation, under god", and fuck you, I'm singing in public!
    under god was taken out
    I thought the pledge said "one nation, indivisible"...that's how it was always said at my school. We never said "under god"

I think saying anything in unison with a bunch of people comes off really creepy.

• The pledge creeps me out too. And I know it creeps out my Canadian and European friends. No, it's nothing like Nazism at all, but it is very creepy indoctrination.

The pledge always reminds me of Nazism.
  • "Under God" was added during the 1950s. Some schools choose not to use that version. My school used "under God", but I never said it. I'd just pause at that part.

Think the pledge is creepy now you should look up what they originally wanted to use.
  • I hate it when people say "Huh?" every time they are spoken to.

People I know, they know better. They say "pardon"" or "excuse me?". When they slip and say "Huh?" I turn to ice. They realize, and say "I'm sorry, what was that?"

Usually if I don't say anything, they answer my question anyway. It isn't like they didn't understand me, it is just their habit to say "Huh?" every time they are spoken to.

I know, I am a bitch. If strangers answer me with "Huh?" I repeat myself but very enunciated, biting off each word like an icicle.

• I will add: there's a woman in my office who does some social media something or other for our company and she frequently speaks on the phone with people out in the field. Every third word that comes out of her mouth is "uh" or "um." It drives me up the fucking wall but I'm aware that it is not my place to bring it up to her or to try to correct a co-worker's/near stranger's bad speaking habits.

My fiancé doesn't always use proper grammar and I'll sometimes point it out politely because he likes to be aware of that type of thing, especially because he frequently deals with some bigwigs at his company. But I can't think of another scenario where that's appropriate if it's not your spouse or your children. 

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I will add: there's a woman in my office who does some social media something or other for our company and she frequently speaks on the phone with people out in the field. Every third word that comes out of her mouth is "uh" or "um." It drives me up the fucking wall but I'm aware that it is not my place to bring it up to her or to try to correct a co-worker's/near stranger's bad speaking habits.

My fiancé doesn't always use proper grammar and I'll sometimes point it out politely because he likes to be aware of that type of thing, especially because he frequently deals with some bigwigs at his company. But I can't think of another scenario where that's appropriate if it's not your spouse or your children. 
    I am socially awkward, shy, and very anxious and I admit that I talk like this a lot.  I also fidget and have trouble maintaining eye contact while speaking.  
  • fwtx5815fwtx5815 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2014
    doeydo said:

I will add: there's a woman in my office who does some social media something or other for our company and she frequently speaks on the phone with people out in the field. Every third word that comes out of her mouth is "uh" or "um." It drives me up the fucking wall but I'm aware that it is not my place to bring it up to her or to try to correct a co-worker's/near stranger's bad speaking habits.

I am socially awkward, shy, and very anxious and I admit that I talk like this a lot.  I also fidget and have trouble maintaining eye contact while speaking.  

-quote box not working-
    Except my coworker is actually quite outgoing and is really talkative; she only does the annoying "uh.." thing when she's on the phone (which is a lot). It's like when the person isn't standing right in front of her, she doesn't think through what it is she wants to say.

But talking down to someone the way PP described for responding with "huh" is just really unnecessarily condescending.

----

fka dallasbetch 

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I hate it when people say "Huh?" every time they are spoken to.

People I know, they know better. They say "pardon"" or "excuse me?". When they slip and say "Huh?" I turn to ice. They realize, and say "I'm sorry, what was that?"

Usually if I don't say anything, they answer my question anyway. It isn't like they didn't understand me, it is just their habit to say "Huh?" every time they are spoken to.

I know, I am a bitch. If strangers answer me with "Huh?" I repeat myself but very enunciated, biting off each word like an icicle.

If you spoke to me that way, I'd tell you to fucking relax and ignore your question.

If it is because a person is just so self-centered that the clanging noise in their own head is so fascinating, that they don't care to show the courtesy of listening, then I don't care to be acquainted with them, and it will end with "Huh?"

If someone has a genuine disability or problem with shyness and communication, I am only too happy to be patient and understanding. There are a lot more people of the former description, than the latter.

There are more attractive ways to request a repeat than a stupid ignorant "Huh?".

• danamwdanamw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2014

Well, I am proving the name of the topic! UO, Unpopular Opinions!

That was the topic name. Not "Let's make beethery happy" Anyway, I don't have to change my opinions or feelings because you curse at me.

• Well, I am proving the name of the topic! UO, Unpopular Opinions!

That was the topic name. Not "Let's make beethery happy" Anyway, I don't have to change my opinions or feelings because you curse at me.

It's not an unpopular opinion, it's just unnecessarily rude behavior. Most people don't LIKE people saying "huh," we just deal with it better.
    It is a quirk of mine. Rude behavior, maybe, but so is "Huh?" all the time. Don't let me hear you say, no one here has quirks!
  • danamw said:

danamw said:

It's not an unpopular opinion, it's just unnecessarily rude behavior. Most people don't LIKE people saying "huh," we just deal with it better.

It is a quirk of mine. Rude behavior, maybe, but so is "Huh?" all the time. Don't let me hear you say, no one here has quirks!

Being rude isn't a quirk, and the proper way to treat people isn't a matter of opinion.

• danamw said:

Calling rudeness a quirk does not make it ok.  However, based on your other posts, I can't say I'm surprised. 
  • So are you! But you are a mod, so it's ok.

Bet you like the smell of your own farts.

• danamw said:

So are you! But you are a mod, so it's ok.

How mature. 
  • danamw said:

So are you! But you are a mod, so it's ok.

Look, I know it's a very relaxing Sunday, and you might be bored. I get that.

But you need to fucking chill.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• What the hell is going on here?

image   image   image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards