Not Engaged Yet

Greetings =]

2»

Re: Greetings =]

• monniiauddiimonniiauddii member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    I guess vegan would best describe me? So I can and very occasionally will eat real cheese, but generally, the cheese I eat is almond based. But it feels weird to call it fake cheese because it's so yummy and it melts and is just good and it's real to me. Anyways, that is the only by-product that I'll eat every once and a while. Other than that, all plant based.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cu97tiger said:
    Swazzle said:
    Explanation:::::
    Swazzle said:
    audrewuh said:
    Hi!

Initially, I wasn't sure about what you meant by "bonded". However, your explanation really resonated with me. My SO and I are in a similar place. We are not engaged or married, but neither of us are going anywhere. Haha. 

What was your favorite vacation?

What is your favorite TV show or movie?  
    I'm going to Chicago.
    I'm going to Aruba.

I'm going to....sigh...I'm not going anywhere. :(
    I'm going to go take my dogs for a walk in the snow.
    For transparency sake, and for @lapeanut1018's self esteem, I'm only assuming I'm going to Chicago, if I can get permission to attend a progressive christian conference.

@monniiauddii why vegan?
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    I guess vegan would best describe me? So I can and very occasionally will eat real cheese, but generally, the cheese I eat is almond based. But it feels weird to call it fake cheese because it's so yummy and it melts and is just good and it's real to me. Anyways, that is the only by-product that I'll eat every once and a while. Other than that, all plant based.

Let's just go with vegetarian then ok? There is an ACTUAL term out there for people who lead a plant-based diet but don't exclude ALL animal products.

veg·an

noun \ˈvē-gən also ˈvā- also ˈve-jən or -ˌjan\ .headword .ld_on_collegiate { margin:10px 0 0 0;padding:0 0 0 19px; width: 405px;} .ld_on_collegiate p {margin:0 0 10px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px; } .ld_on_collegiate p.bottom_entry {margin:0 0 3px 0;padding:0;line-height:20px;} #mwEntryData div.headword .ld_on_collegiate p em, .ld_on_collegiate p em { color: black; font-weight: normal; } #mwEntryData div.headword + div.d { margin-top: -7px; } .ld_on_collegiate .bnote { font-weight: bold; } .ld_on_collegiate .sl, .ld_on_collegiate .ssl { font-style: italic; }

: a person who does not eat any food that comes from animals and who often also does not use animal products (such as leather)

CloseStyle: MLA APA Chicago
    EasyBib

Full Definition of VEGAN

:  a strict vegetarian who consumes no animal food or dairy products; also :  one who abstains from using animal products (as leather)

• I had some jerky over the christmas break that was like leather. It wasn't pleasant.

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • LaPeanut1018 I know what these terms are. I prefer vegan because my day to day diet is 100% plant based. If I tell people that I'm vegetarian, all of a sudden I start getting things with eggs, milk, honey and all sorts of other things that I don't eat. I eat real cheese VERY occasionally-- like a few times a year, because it makes life convenient for those around me. But besides these very few time, my diet is 100% plant based so it's just easier to say that I'm vegan.

audrewuh I'm vegan because I can't eat meat, (It has always made me sick) and I prefer plant base 'dairy' products to the real thing. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LaPeanut1018 I know what these terms are. I prefer vegan because my day to day diet is 100% plant based. If I tell people that I'm vegetarian, all of a sudden I start getting things with eggs, milk, honey and all sorts of other things that I don't eat. I eat real cheese VERY occasionally-- like a few times a year, because it makes life convenient for those around me. But besides these very few time, my diet is 100% plant based so it's just easier to say that I'm vegan.

audrewuh I'm vegan because I can't eat meat, (It has always made me sick) and I prefer plant base 'dairy' products to the real thing. 
    JFC...listen...you are not an actual vegan. Don't call yourself vegan unless you actually are a vegan. If it's that much of an inconvenience in your day to day life to say vegetarian then tell people you'd prefer no animal products, or ask. There are REAL vegans out there who struggle to get actual vegan foods/materials/whatever because of people who prefer to be called vegan but actually aren't. 

• Gotcha, so you're vegan out of dietary reasons, not strictly ethical reasons. Are you one of those vegans that complains loudly when you're out somewhere and there isn't anything you can eat?

• My name Borat

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • monniiauddiimonniiauddii member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2015
    audrewuh Correct! And I don't got out to eat much because of my restrictions lol. But normally I call ahead about the foods a place serves instead of making a scene when I get there.

KeptInStitches Are you getting your Ph.D?

LaPeanut1018 Boy you weren't kidding when you said you were judgmental lol. Well are you a vegan(Not meant as a snark, just curious)? I know that you know nothing about me so I can clear a few things up as for why I say vegan. I stopped eating meat at 9 and stopped eating animal by products all together soon after that. However, I'm currently living in a place where people seem to barely understand that chicken is not for vegetarians let alone vegans--and I'm being 100% serious here. So, If I go to an event, and they forget that vegan means no cheese and I haven't eaten all day because I was busy on campus and I'm feeling lightheaded, then sure, I'll have a piece of whatever because its not going to kill me.  But otherwise, I'm pretty much shipping the majority of my food across state. So yah, I know the vegan struggle. Believe me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So you're not a vegan...

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • So what region of the country do you live in? Especially one that makes it so hard to clarify what's vegetarian and what isn't.

• If you consider having a small amount of cheese 3 times in 12 years vegetarian then fine be my guest. My nutritionist considers me vegan and seeing that I have no plans on consuming animal by product after we move from this place in 4 is months, it really makes no difference does it?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you consider having a small amount of cheese 3 times in 12 years vegetarian then fine be my guest. My nutritionist considers me vegan and seeing that I have no plans on consuming animal by product after we move from this place in 4 is months, it really makes no difference does it?
    It makes a huge difference to the people that you are screwing over with your attitude about it.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Want to hear a funny story? My MOH, her H requested a GF meal. I had to call the venue and make this request thinking that he had some medical issue that requires him not to eat gluten. Come to find out he was losing weight and thought cutting out gluten would be a good idea. This annoyed me at no end. Now if he had a legitimate disease where he couldn't eat gluten or if a vegan didn't want cheese on her eggplant parm because she doesn't want to ingest or use animal by-products then I'm okay with that. If it's someone who is just being a pain in the ass then I'm annoyed.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • So what region of the country do you live in? Especially one that makes it so hard to clarify what's vegetarian and what isn't.
    Kazakhstan

@buddysmom80 DED

• audrewuh said:

So what region of the country do you live in? Especially one that makes it so hard to clarify what's vegetarian and what isn't.

Kazakhstan

@buddysmom80 DED

I wish I knew how to gif from my phone

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • AlPacinaAlPacina member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    JFC...listen...you are not an actual vegan. Don't call yourself vegan unless you actually are a vegan. If it's that much of an inconvenience in your day to day life to say vegetarian then tell people you'd prefer no animal products, or ask. There are REAL vegans out there who struggle to get actual vegan foods/materials/whatever because of people who prefer to be called vegan but actually aren't. 

I didn't understand the above bolded. . .

Until I read this:

I know your type.  I have celiac disease, and I see your type all the time.  You're the type of person who will complain loudly that you can't have any gluten and you're going to be so sick if anyone touches your food with it, and then you will turn around and have the cheesecake, crust and all.  If you were actually vegan, you'd prepare for these things before hand.  "No worries, I've got my trusty vegan granola right here!" Seriously, you're either vegan or you're not. Claiming vegan when it's convenient for you is as damaging to the real vegan community as claiming gluten free when you're not actually is to the celiac community.  How would you feel if you showed up to an event and were told "oh, well the last vegan we had was fine with the cheese, so we figured it was okay."  Because as a celiac, that happens to me all the time.  "Oh, the last person who said they were gluten free told us that the they could just not eat the crust off the cheesecake, so that's an okay dessert for you."  No.  Actually, it will make me incredibly sick.

You're a vegetarian, not a vegan.
    @peekaboo2011 - Thank you! I really had never thought of this, so I'm glad I have an example now.

• This is all I have seen this entire thread:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards