Chit Chat

HELP! Working in cold weather ... what to wear?

I'm a native Houstonian.  I don't do cold.  I'm also a consultant with clients in New York City and I have meetings there next week.  The office where we are meeting is casual attire, thankfully.  The office is in Brooklyn and I'll be staying at a hotel about a mile away (or I could stay in Manhattan and take the subway there).  I'll be in indoor meetings all day Wednesday and Thursday (well, until I take a cab back to the airport).

Suggestions?  I don't want to go buy much stuff for a 2.5 day trip (I fly in Tuesday afternoon), and as far as I know, I won't go back again until the Spring.  I have this coat (clicky) from Lands End which kept me warm last January on a trip to Chicago (but that was at a conference center that was all-contained and you didn't have to step outside).

Re: HELP! Working in cold weather ... what to wear?

• Layers. They are your friend. Fleece lined tights are a godsend if you're wearing a skirt/dress. Hell, I threw them on under my corduroy pants today. Warm socks. Gloves. I layered stretchy gloves under my mittens today. And a hat. Don't try to go outside without a hat and scarf. Although next week is supposed to be in the 30s - HEATWAVE!!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Fleece lined leggings/tights under pants are my go-to for Chicago winters!
  • Layers!! When I used to walk to class in minus 30 wind chills a scarf, hat, and gloves were all necessary. As long as the coat is lined, the wind shouldn't break through it TOO terribly. It doesn't seem like you'll be outside much and since it's casual dress you can wear jeans right? You'll probably be warm enough. The only thing I'd ever add under my jeans on the super cold days was a pair of stockings plus thick socks.

• So you are basically going to be outside to catch a cab and go in and out of places right?

I think that coat will be fine.  Wear boots (that you can walk in) not only for warmth but in case it snows or is wet/rainy. Hat, scarf, gloves are all very necessary.  The best thing to do is wear layers such as a blouse under a sweater or a blouse under a blazer.  That way when you are inside and get warm you can remove your top layer.  As far as pants, jeans or slacks will be fine.

You can always pick yourself up some hand warmers/foot warmers to use while outside if it stays as cold as it currently is.

• One of the best ways to stay warm is to wear several thin layers.  Don't worry about buying a HUGE sweater or something.  So wear a cami, a tank, and a thin sweater for example. 

Also, if you're not going to be outside much, you could probably just wear nylons, tights, leggings under a pair of pants.  I walk about half a mile every day to get to work from the train in Chicago- I wear thin weight long underwear under my dress pants- no one knows / can tell.  My thighs are tingly when I get in, but it's not that bad, so if you're just going to be in and out of places, that extra layer will help quite a bit.

Feet are another issue.  I wear thick socks and change when I get to work.  Not sure I'm much help there....

Have fun on the trip!

• I'm planning on wearing jeans one day and ponte knit pants the other day, so thankfully I don't have to worry about a skirt / dress.  The office I'm visiting is a digital marketing agency, so they are really casual.

@ashley8918, do you get warm inside with the leggings under your pants?  That's my biggest fear since we'll be sitting in a conference room all day.
  • @Maggie0829, yep!  The only time I'll be outdoors is going from the hotel to the office.  And, come to think of it - I'll probably take a cab to the office on Thursday since I'll have my luggage with me.  Chances are we'll go out to dinner on Wednesday night as a team (which I loathe because all they do is talk work).  I have plenty of scarves / gloves / hats, so I'm feeling good there.  I was thinking about wearing a pair of motorcycle-type boots (mid-calf) since they have good tread.  
  • I'm planning on wearing jeans one day and ponte knit pants the other day, so thankfully I don't have to worry about a skirt / dress.  The office I'm visiting is a digital marketing agency, so they are really casual.

@ashley8918, do you get warm inside with the leggings under your pants?  That's my biggest fear since we'll be sitting in a conference room all day.
    Eh, a little. But not uncomfortably so. Regular tights (as opposed to fleece-lined) might be a better option if you are worried though. And, hey, if you do get too warm, you can take them off in the bathroom and stuff them in your purse, hahaha.

Eh, a little. But not uncomfortably so. Regular tights (as opposed to fleece-lined) might be a better option if you are worried though. And, hey, if you do get too warm, you can take them off in the bathroom and stuff them in your purse, hahaha.

I was about to type the exact same thing. I always wear tights under my pants, and they end up shoved into my purse if it warms up during the day.
  • @Maggie0829, yep!  The only time I'll be outdoors is going from the hotel to the office.  And, come to think of it - I'll probably take a cab to the office on Thursday since I'll have my luggage with me.  Chances are we'll go out to dinner on Wednesday night as a team (which I loathe because all they do is talk work).  I have plenty of scarves / gloves / hats, so I'm feeling good there.  I was thinking about wearing a pair of motorcycle-type boots (mid-calf) since they have good tread.  
    I think you will be good then.  If you were planning on walking around for a few hours you would possibly need to wear some leggings or stockings under your pants but since you aren't I think that would just make you over heat while you are inside.

• I am legitimately wearing my Under Armour 2.0 cold gear leggings today that I got for when I was in the Arctic Circle because it's so damn cold in NYC.

But yeah, I'm all about the layers, that way I can be as warm or cool as I want.  Seriously the biggest things are a hat, gloves and scarf.

Ahhh, good call.  Thanks!
  • When I read "working in cold weather" I thought you'd be outside. Like we had to go to FIL's and spend hours in sub zero weather helping them cut wood and the haul it from the field to their house. In which case I wore wool tights, wool ski socks, jeans, Sorels, ski pants, a tank top, a long sleeved shirt, a wool sweater, a major serious coat that has sonar built into it in case of avalanches, leather gloves, mittens, a scarf, a wool hat, and I had my fur hood up. Eventually I got hot enough to take off the top layer just from moving around a bunch. 

In your case, (just going from a building to a cab and then cab into building) I'd say tights under your pants, and thin layers as other PPs have suggested. A decent pair of gloves and a hat are an absolute must, and DO NOT FORGET YOUR LIP BALM. People forget to protect their lips in cold weather, but that is very delicate skin. Don't forget them! 
  • @novella1186, I'm always all about the lip balm.  Even in Houston my lips get crazy dry.  On our way home on NYE I made H stop at a CVS and I got Aquaphor and it's now on my desk. I lather that crap on all the time!
  • layers hat gloves and scarf are a must. warm (wool) socks and long sleeves./
  • I am legitimately wearing my Under Armour 2.0 cold gear leggings today that I got for when I was in the Arctic Circle because it's so damn cold in NYC.

But yeah, I'm all about the layers, that way I can be as warm or cool as I want.  Seriously the biggest things are a hat, gloves and scarf.
    I thought about throwing my UA on today but didn't. And didn't wear socks with my tights. On the drive to work, with fleece lined boots and the heat on high, my toes went numb. I'm sitting in my office right now with fingerless gloves on so I can type.

This winter can bite me.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• YAY, you're coming back to NY! I don't have gloves lol. I should prob invest in some. Definitely what everyone said, layers. That coat should be fine. Boots, scarves, and hats. Or earmuffs. If it is brutally cold though, like today, definitely a hat. Need to cover your forehead, or the cold will give you a splitting headache!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Do you know if the building you'll be in is older or newer? I work in an old building with steam heat and it is about 80 degrees inside. So you bundle up outside and then boil inside. Definitely wear a lighter shirt or tshirt under a sweater so you can take it off if you are sweltering inside.

In the newer buildings it tends to be a bit on the cool side. Here we're opening up windows. 

And it won't be THAT cold next week here. 
  • @pinkcow13, I meant to email you!  I'll let you know more when I can.

@daria24, I'm not sure about how old / new the building is, but I've been there several times in the summer and fall.  It has like a warehouse vibe to it, but it's always been on par as far as heating / cooling.  
  • Keep an eye on the weather, I'm across from Philly and we are supposed to get snow Monday and Tuesday next week (I'll be in Hawaii - darn).  The last few times we had snow storms, NYC got slammed, but I haven't seen too much about what is coming this way yet.  Just something to be aware of!
  • My office is in New york and I also wore my UA cold gear running tights under my work pants on my way to the office this morning (I have approx 1 mile walk each way, broken up by 15 minutes underground). I'll be putting them on again before I leave. Kept me nice and toasty!

But next week should be in the 30s so it really won't be much colder than Houston was this morning, and so far isn't looking like much snow (though that can always change). You'll be fine with a jacket, scarf and gloves.
  • Layers are your friend.  So are fleece leggings that you wear under your pants, a good warm peacoat, and scarves.  One thing that was life changing for me when I used to go to the East Coast regularly during the winter was buying those foot warmers that you put on the bottom of your sock.  You can get them at REI, Bass Pro Shop, or other outdoors type shops.  Having toasty feet made a world of difference for me.  Handwarmers are also great. 

• So I figured Houston weather was like Phoenix weather. It is not. Cause we're gonna be in the low 70s and you guys are gonna be in the high 40s. NYC is gonna be in the mid-high 30s. I think you might survive this.

I would not. I would be a frozen popsicle because I do not own cold weather clothing.
  • MagicInk said:
    So I figured Houston weather was like Phoenix weather. It is not. Cause we're gonna be in the low 70s and you guys are gonna be in the high 40s. NYC is gonna be in the mid-high 30s. I think you might survive this.

I would not. I would be a frozen popsicle because I do not own cold weather clothing.
    Then you come right over and sit in front of my oven while I bake you up some cookies and cakes.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• MagicInk said:
    So I figured Houston weather was like Phoenix weather. It is not. Cause we're gonna be in the low 70s and you guys are gonna be in the high 40s. NYC is gonna be in the mid-high 30s. I think you might survive this.

Then you come right over and sit in front of my oven while I bake you up some cookies and cakes.
    Yay cookies and cakes!!!

I'm supposed to go to @laquredlover's for wine, cupcakes, mac&cheese, and Drag Race. But I'm sure she'll let you come over too.
  • Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    MagicInk said:
    MagicInk said:

Yay cookies and cakes!!!

I'm supposed to go to @laquredlover's for wine, cupcakes, mac&cheese, and Drag Race. But I'm sure she'll let you come over too.
    I'm not that far away. My apartment is less than 30 miles from mid-town Manhattan.

ETA: Heck, you can both come over for cookies and cakes! Oh, and Cards Against Humanity!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• MagicInk said:

Oh, I will survive.  Just not dressed like this:

@MagicInk, my mom is from Arizona and we used to go there to visit her family.  Houston and Arizona are pretty similar-ish 9 months a year.  Fucking hot 95% of the time and nice and breezy the rest.  The winter months are when things differ.  
  • MagicInk said:

Cookie, I believe you were invited to hang out with me, JC, and Pinkcow the last time I was in NYC.  @LacqueredLover was invited, too.  
  • MagicInk said:

Cookie, I believe you were invited to hang out with me, JC, and Pinkcow the last time I was in NYC.  @LacqueredLover was invited, too.  
    Yep, and I was in the lovely city of Trenton that week. Ugh. And I'll be there again next week.

Someone just kill me. Seriously.
    ~*~*~*~*~

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards