Not Engaged Yet

Bored...where's the bling?

Re: Bored...where's the bling?

• @AuroraRose41 - Have you ever lost one of the small diamonds in your ring? I really love your ring but my friend had a similar one and was constantly losing the small diamonds, to the point where she got an entirely new ring that didn't have them. So, I told BF that I prefer a ring without pave diamonds in it because I would be so nervous about losing them!

• @KeptInStitches - I'm so excited! BF and I only went ring shopping one time and it didn't go well. The sales lady was crazy pushy, would only show us diamonds, and the whole experience really turned BF off to shopping for rings in person so we've only looked online since. But he asked me what size of stone I wanted and I said I didn't know because I didn't know what different sizes would like on my hand and he suggested we go look this weekend! 

• AuroraRose41AuroraRose41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    @bethsmiles I haven't had the ring for a month yet (it's been about 3 weeks only), and BF had it for about a month before that. I haven't lost any yet, and they seem to be set well. I also had mine custom made and the jeweler mentioned it being a prong setting instead of pave and that prong was less likely for them to fall out of. I'm not sure how true that is, but I will keep you updated if any do fall out.

ETA: I am also very careful with it. I treat it as a fine piece of jewelry and don't wear it when I am working out, showering, sleeping, washing dishes, etc. I think many women do, and it can add more wear and tear in that case.

• @AuroraRose41 - Thanks for the info! My friend only had hers for a month before exchanging it. I think they used a crappy jeweler to be honest. I'll ask about the prong vs. pave thing though, I've never heard that before.

edited January 2015
    @bethsmiles no problem! I can find very little information on the prong vs pave thing online, and most people seem to think it is one and the same. I also think the quality of the jeweler helps too though :). I have bumped it on things already too though and none of them have fallen out yet, so that's a good sign.

ETA: Also I completely missed that you are going ring shopping this weekend! How exciting! And also, @lilacck28 have you had any issues with stones falling out of yours?

• because I'm too lazy to edit - I forgot to add a few pics of my ring - I love the way the prongs 'sweep' around the ring and then there's also the little hidden heart - it has a diamond in the center and if you magnify it you can read where it says 'Love You Forever' on it.

My wedding shoes weren't super fancy - they were silver wedges (the wedge was the cork) they were SUPER comfortable and I was one of the only ones that made it through the day/night without having to swap shoes out (Plus they have a ton of re-wear value).

Anniversary
  • I have diamonds set in my band & halo, and have had no issues, @bethsmiles. Right after FI proposed, I was wearing it constantly, and the second night I had a dream that I lost stones, and that was when I stopped wearing it to sleep, haha. My diamonds are also prong set, and FI got it from a very reputable jeweler, so there's that. 

*******************************************************************************************

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @bethsmiles I have diamonds set in my wedding ring and also set in a modified halo thing in my e-ring. No problem with any of them ever coming loose or falling out and I bang my hand into stuff all the time, do the dishes with my rings on, wash my hands, etc.

• @bethsmiles I've had my engagement ring for almost 2 years and I've never lost a diamond. The smaller diamonds next to the larger stone are prong setting and the ones in the band are pave.

Anniversary

• @Blackbird230 Thanks, I love it too :) I catch  myself staring at it all the time. I haven't been able to wear any of my rings all week because of a flare up of eczema on my hands, and I really miss it. 

@GoldenPenguin Exactly! I love the vintage-y look of the ring, and it's so feminine too. I really love the ring you posted too. You're going to have some serious bling on your finger! 

@lilacck28 I think you need to clear your mind and then do that mental exercise where someone asks you a question and you have to immediately answer. Have your FI or a friend ask you what ring you want, and whatever you answer first is the one for you. 

@speakeasy14 It really is a stunning ring! I love the sentiment behind it too. It's a very special piece.

@bethsmiles I love that setting, and I really love sapphire rings. Had I not already had a sapphire ring that I wear every day (family heirloom), I would have wanted a sapphire engagement ring. Your ring is going to be stunning!

I seriously keep looking at everyone's pics over and over again just staring at all the pretty bling. I love how we have such a variety of rings here, and they're all gorgeous. 

• @bethsmiles, don't let sales people push you around on the nondiamond. I'm unique with my aquamarine. It took us awhile to find a jeweler we liked that we didn't feel was being judgey. Go with what YOU want. Sapphires are wonderful and beautiful and have fun ring shopping!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • @bethsmiles, don't let sales people push you around on the nondiamond. I'm unique with my aquamarine. It took us awhile to find a jeweler we liked that we didn't feel was being judgey. Go with what YOU want. Sapphires are wonderful and beautiful and have fun ring shopping!
    Cosigned! FI and I went to a few places to look at different styles and sizes, and I went to one place to see if they had any moissanite pieces on hand so I could see what the stones looked like in person before FI ordered one. The sales lady turned up her nose at us and spent the next few minutes going on and on and on about how diamonds were the only appropriate stone for an engagement ring. Then she started showing us estate pieces because she thought we were poor and couldn't afford a good diamond. Salespeople can seriously suck.

• eilis1228 said:
    @bethsmiles, don't let sales people push you around on the nondiamond. I'm unique with my aquamarine. It took us awhile to find a jeweler we liked that we didn't feel was being judgey. Go with what YOU want. Sapphires are wonderful and beautiful and have fun ring shopping!
    Cosigned! FI and I went to a few places to look at different styles and sizes, and I went to one place to see if they had any moissanite pieces on hand so I could see what the stones looked like in person before FI ordered one. The sales lady turned up her nose at us and spent the next few minutes going on and on and on about how diamonds were the only appropriate stone for an engagement ring. Then she started showing us estate pieces because she thought we were poor and couldn't afford a good diamond. Salespeople can seriously suck.
    EW. I would have flipped my shit. This is so untrue, it's not even funny.

*******************************************************************************************

edited January 2015

eilis1228 said:
    @bethsmiles, don't let sales people push you around on the nondiamond. I'm unique with my aquamarine. It took us awhile to find a jeweler we liked that we didn't feel was being judgey. Go with what YOU want. Sapphires are wonderful and beautiful and have fun ring shopping!
    That's horrible! FI and I ultimately decided to get a diamond, but we did consider moissanite too. It irks me to no end when people ask me if my diamond is "real". I look at them and reply "Well it's not a hologram. Do you mean is it diamond? Would it make any difference if it wasn't, since the meaning is still the same?".

ETA: This question has only been asked by people who are not engaged or married too. So when I am feeling really snarky I also mention that any stone is more real than the one on their finger. :)

• lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    @AuroraRose41 

I was VERY worried about stones falling out of my ring! It was the first thing I ever posted about on here, when I was deciding what engagement ring to get! So... I did a lot of research.

I have had the ring since last April, and I wear it pretty much all the time, except sleeping and showering, and cooking with really messy things. I have not lost any diamonds. I have 9 small diamonds on each side of the center stone, the bottom of the band is just platinum. I think that helps. Also, each diamond is held in by four tiny prongs, as opposed to two. (shared prong rings use only 2, bar set is kind of similar to that.)

I was told by the jeweler I bought the ring from that the four prongs will help them stay more secure. He also said that in channel set bands the diamonds are less likely to fall out, but if something happens,  that they are harder to service. Pros and cons to both versions. Anyway, I really preferred the look of the pave, so I took the risk. I'm happy with my decision.

I have insurance through perfect circle and they'd cover small diamonds falling out or prongs breaking anyway, and if that happens a few times in 20 years, I'm okay with it. I was worried about it happening much more often. So far it hasn't. The jeweler said the diamonds are more likely to fall out right after you start wearing it (meaning, theres a problem with how the ring was made, or you are just way too damn hard on it) or 10 years later after the metal has worn down. I don't know if that's true, but it seems to make sense. He told me if diamonds fell out early, he would give me a new ring.

• @lilacck28 I just looked down at mine, and they also have 4 prongs on each diamond. I think the two prong setting is the traditional pave, and the 4 prong one is what my jeweler meant when he called it a prong setting. 

I'm glad to hear that you have had no problems! @bethsmiles, look for the 4 prong settings for the small side stones if you still are interested in a pave look :)

• Thanks for all the advice on pave settings ladies! It's definitely something I'll talk to the jeweler about tomorrow!

And I'm not worried about someone pushing diamonds on us. I've never wanted a diamond so I'm not going to change my mind because of a pushy sales person.

• Fun story:

I have done a ton of jewelery shopping lately (#weddingrings). I've had multiple jewelers try to push eternity rings on me. I understand that.. they cost more money. I don't LIKE it, but I understand it.

BUT, I've also had jewelers try to push white gold on me! AFTER I told them my engagement ring was platinum (its safer for your two rings to be the same metal if you plan to wear them next to each other... ), and mentioned my allergy to the nickel that is usually used to alloy white gold! And besides all that, I don't really understand why she was pushing the white gold, since platinum is more expensive.

She showed me this very sweet little milgrain wedding band that was an estate piece. AND IT WAS WHITE GOLD. face palm. STOP TRYING TO SELL ME WHITE GOLD YA JERK!

• @speakeasy14, the flower-vine thing is amazing, but all that crosses my mind is "how do you use your hand?"
  • Yeah, when I bought my engagement ring that jeweler (who I really liked!) said he always warned people about eternity rings. But MANY other jewelers have said "women always come back and get an eternity ring a few years later" and "why would you start a marriage with a ring that doesn't represent forever?" (GAG!) and "the ring will spin around so then you won't get to see your diamonds!". I think  I liked the first jeweler because he seemed honest and knowledgable to me.

I am a research-happy person. A lot of jewelers were telling me things that were counter to the research I had already done, or they didn't know as much about the jewelery as I did. That was a major turn off/ red flag since... I'm not a jeweler! And if they didn't know the answer to a question I asked, I SO would have preferred for these salespeople to just say so instead of making crap up!
  • Dignity100Dignity100 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited January 2015
    @lilacck28 - From what I was told - white gold is easier for the jeweler to work with.  They probably were trying to push you towards that because it would be easier on them.

I too have the lovely nickel allergy; I ended up going with 18k palladium white gold (basically palladium is used instead of nickel as the main alloy in the white gold).

Anniversary
  • Guys, I am like inspired by your pictures. Special shoutout to @GoldenPenguin because WOW, that's amazing! But I love bling so this thread is just killing me. If you'll indulge me...

This is the first piece of jewelry that my boyfriend ever got for me, a white gold crucifix from JCPenney's. He's a horrible secret-keeper and I knew that he was getting me jewelry for Christmas, but I was just so proud of him when he remembered my favorite metal and chose a crucifix rather than anything else. It was an acknowledgement of my Catholic faith although he's lapsed and has trouble caring himself, so I was really happy about that. :D

I'm kind of between dream rings right now and of course it'll change again over time. I love the tri-stone princess cut thing, but I just learned that my brother got his wife the EXACT same ring, and now I'm like, eh, do I want to "copy?" I'm sure it doesn't matter, but it put me on the fence. Then I discovered the marquise and WOW. So they're on the table for now.

And since people are posting shoes...

Lord, bless me with ballet flats! I hate heels. I want to chuck heels out the window. Especially when wearing them for HOURS.

Sorry about the BSC, I shouldn't be planning this far ahead, but I can't even stop myself. I tried, ladies, I really did. I tried so hard.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards