Getting in Shape

20 miles a week until wedding? Who's in?

I recently started a 1,000 mile challenge but thought why not do 20 a week until our wedding date? We should check in weekly with our numbers. Who's in?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: 20 miles a week until wedding? Who's in?

• tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015

Sounds like fun! I am at the gym and walk every morning but this will be a great way to keep me on track!

Theresa

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds like a blast!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in! My usual mileage is about 15/week, and I need some motivation to kick it up a notch! What's our accountability plan?
  • I usually start counting on Sundays, how about we pick a day that works for all of us to check in to report our miles on this thread.
    I am going to figure out at 20 miles a week how many miles I would do before the wedding.  Watching the number go down will be great motivation for me.  
    What do you think girls?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I use RunKeeper, which measures a week Sun-Sat, so this will be good for me. My wedding is May 30, which is 18 full weeks away, which will be 360 miles total. I signed up for a 5k on Mar 15, and I'm looking into 10ks for sometime in Apr or early May. Most of my miles will probably be running but I expect to do some hiking and snowshoeing as well.
  • Sounds good to me. I use Charity Miles...they track daily...plus have the phone app. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I really would like to do something like this, but I just know that my motivation is really not there yet. I have been doing pilates daily though, so I'm not being a TOTAL couch potato.

But I would like to get an arm band to hold my phone so that I can listen to music while I run/walk (doing it in silence is SO boring), plus I can also use some sort of an app to track my progress which would be fun/helpful.

So, moral of the story...I might track miles with you ladies but I probably won't be aiming for the 20/week.
  • 20 miles this week!  
    JennyColada sounds good!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well I'm off to a slow start because I only started half-way through the week (I was traveling through Tuesday), but I did do 11 miles in 4 days (6 miles running, 5 miles hiking), which isn't too shabby. 360-11 = 349 miles to go!

Also, I'm afraid that the 20-30 inches of snow we're supposed to get over the next few days may throw off my miles for this coming week too, but no worries - I'll keep tracking anyway!
  • Morning....I forgot to post this yesterday....I did 23 miles this past week!

I feel bad about the snow.....we need the rain in CA but are not getting it!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The snow is going to mess up my week as well, maybe I should've stayed at FI house last night to get snowed in with a treadmill.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Early update no chance on doing any miles today.  Only 9 miles this week due to snow and being sick.  I have many miles to make up!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ooh! I want in. My wedding is 15 weeks from today and I'm about to head out for a run!
  • Would 20 miles cross country skiing count? I will be participating as MOG in 2 weddings, attending 5 other weddings spring and summer, none formal.
    Cocktail length dresses with legs on view. WAH

While I was pregnant and could not see down, my thighs developed these fat ripples I have never seen before.
    N NH running is impossible. Just got out cross country skis yesterday. 1 1/2 miles and I was dead.
    Last year at this time a ten mile trek was fun.
  • I'm in. I have barely worked out in months and am now "skinny fat". I haven't gained a size but I'm am completely not toned with jiggles I never had before. Let's not even discuss the science experiment gone wrong that is happening with my thighs...I Just joined the gym yesterday. I am looking for someone to hold me accountable b/c my fi is too polite & keeps telling me I look fine. In any case, I'd love to be a part of this board to get support and offer support to y'all as well. Former college & competitive athlete and have had the benefit of coaches & trainers so I do know a few tricks that I'm happy to share. I need help though, too. If I keep this inactivity up, I'm going to roll down the aisle and have no energy to dance at our wedding!
  • Would 20 miles cross country skiing count? I will be participating as MOG in 2 weddings, attending 5 other weddings spring and summer, none formal.
    Cocktail length dresses with legs on view. WAH

While I was pregnant and could not see down, my thighs developed these fat ripples I have never seen before.
    N NH running is impossible. Just got out cross country skis yesterday. 1 1/2 miles and I was dead.
    Last year at this time a ten mile trek was fun.

Nordic skiing is a great workout! I don't live there now but grew up in NH. The back side of Waterville Valley has some tremendous cross country tracks. Another great place to go if you're learning? A golf course! Tons of space and they are not exactly going to yell at you to keep off the grass when it's covered in 2 feet of snow. Also, there is parking!
  • I'm a day late, and definitely short of my 20 miles this week thanks to snow, snow, and more snow putting a crimp in my running style. And did I mention it's snowing again today? We're looking at almost 4 feet total accumulation from 3 storms...

I did 12 miles this week, all on snowshoes. So @WhatawagSBNy YES, I'd say cross-country skiing should count! Keep it up, and you'll get back to your 10 mile treks. X-country skiing is haaaard.
  • Sorry I am late too...had 26.5 miles this week. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I can do 20+ a week with you! Sounds awesome.....although I walk nonstop at work so I might set my goal a little higher for a week! Good luck ladies!
  • ok..since I am usually the last to report. I am happy to day 26.25 I am shocked since I did not get to the gym.

But I did have wine this week which is not good

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TOO. MUCH. SNOW.

11.5 miles this week, once again all on snowshoes. 7 of them were really, really challenging though (up a mountain) so they should count more.

Oh yeah, did I mention it's snowing again? At this rate my running is shot for the rest of the month, at least.
  • A little short again this week only 15 miles :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I recently ordered a workout arm band and downloaded a running app (RunKeeper, it's free!).

I broke it all in by running 1.5 miles today!

The most annoying thing is that I don't want to run after I shower for the day. Does anyone have tips on how to combat this? It makes me feel locked into running in the AM only (and then I feel like I "can't" run in the afternoon).
  • I love RunKeeper!

I feel the same way about running after showering. I always run in the evenings, and that just means I take two showers many days.

You're making me really, really want to get out there and run!!! I wish it would stop snowing, but I just saw a blizzard watch calling for another 8-14 inches in Boston this weekend *sigh*
  • That's the good thing (bad thing?) about being in SoCal: no weather excuse!

And yes, I loved RunKeeper. I set it to give me verbal notifications on time (every 5 minutes) and mileage (ever .25 miles), so that way I could keep tabs on how I'm doing (and it encouraged me to "just go another .25 mile...").
  • Cool! RunKeeper is great for building up distance, and also I like to monitor my pace so I can push myself a little faster with each run. Have fun! I'll be dreaming of running while I shovel snow (which is a great workout, by the way, just not as much fun).
  • Hope everyone had a god week! I wish that we had the snow instead of the great weather....than I would not feel so guilty for only walking 20.5 miles this week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You can have some of my snow. We now have more than 80 inches (that's over 6 1/2 feet!). My running routes won't be clear until late April, and it's very unlikely that I'll be able to do 20 miles per week until then.

However, I'm LOVING snowshoeing, and I've been reading a lot of fitness articles about it. Although you cover far fewer miles on snowshoes, minute-for-minute it's an equivalent (or even better) workout compared with running in terms of cardiovascular fitness and calorie burning. And when you're snowshoeing through deep powder (which is what we've got tons of right now in New England), the workout is even better! So I snowshoed three times this past week for 60 min x1 and 2-3 hours x2, and I think that's pretty good even though it was probably only about 12 miles total distance.

Anyone who's curious, see below:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/winter-x-training-snowshoes
    http://snowshoes.com/learn/article/fitness-benefits-of-snowshoeing
  • Rough week here, moved and have been setting up house.  13.5 miles this week.  Need to get back on track.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards