Chit Chat

Who else is re-watching Friends?

We have started from the beginning and DAYYUM, the 90s were a confusing time for fashion.

I can't stop noticing, however, more than anything else-- the nipples.  The nipples.  Everywhere, nipples.  How was it so cold in the studio?  Did the costume department not own any adequate bras?  I have to believe that somebody noticed, right?  Was this a conscious decision?  And WHY?

But this is why I love my sister, and I love that she's our roomie now.  She and Fi, with almost no discussion, just started a drinking game where every time one of them sees a nipple, they clink their beer bottles and take a swig.  I've joined in now.  We can't watch Friends without beer in hand.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

Re: Who else is re-watching Friends?

• If I ever mention Jennifer Anniston to FI, literally all he says is "nipples?"
  • I'm pretty sure Jennifer Aniston's nipples are the only reason my fi watches Friends.

• H and my lil sis have become buddies and it's the cutest thing! 

There are definitely a lot of nips in those early seasons. It had to be on purpose.

• I'm not but FI bought my mom the entire series on DVD for Christmas. He got it, like, maybe two days before the netflix announcement. And my mom was all excited about Netflix but was complaining about how every four episodes it stops and she wakes up and has to start it back over again. The DVDs made her cry she was so excited.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I use to like friends. Now all the voices make me cringe.    I will wake up from nap just to change the channel.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • now that its on Netflix its my "background" noise TV show - it makes me laugh. 

And yes. Nipples.
                                    Daisypath Wedding tickers

• So many fucking nipples happening!
  • I always thought the nips were on purpose. Nobody avoids looking at boobs that long.  I am rewatching it!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    larrygaga said: I always thought the nips were on purpose. Nobody avoids looking at boobs that long.  I am rewatching it!!!

BOXBOXBOXBOXBOXBOXBOXBOXFUCKINGBOX

I mean,
    somebody does...
  • beetherybeethery member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2015
    larrygaga said:
    I always thought the nips were on purpose. Nobody avoids looking at boobs that long.  I am rewatching it!!!
    I mean, somebody does...
    hahahahahahahaha you wrong for that
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

• I'm pretty disappointed in myself that I never noticed the nipples.
  • I'm in the middle of season two. I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who noticed the nipples. And poor Courtney Cox, she wore some pretty strange pairs of jeans in the first season.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I'm re-watching 'Friends' too and noticed the same thing!

• I'm watching right now! 

Anniversary
  • hellohkb said:
    I'm in the middle of season two. I'm SO glad I'm not the only one who noticed the nipples. And poor Courtney Cox, she wore some pretty strange pairs of jeans in the first season.
    Yes.  Her jeans were up to.... her nipples.
    Like Fred Mertz!
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• We have started from the beginning and DAYYUM, the 90s were a confusing time for fashion.

I can't stop noticing, however, more than anything else-- the nipples.  The nipples.  Everywhere, nipples.  How was it so cold in the studio?  Did the costume department not own any adequate bras?  I have to believe that somebody noticed, right?  Was this a conscious decision?  And WHY?

But this is why I love my sister, and I love that she's our roomie now.  She and Fi, with almost no discussion, just started a drinking game where every time one of them sees a nipple, they clink their beer bottles and take a swig.  I've joined in now.  We can't watch Friends without beer in hand.
    -----------
    I can't watch Friends without serious hard liquor.

And they should all be on food supplements to make up for calories lost jumping up and down and arm waving and shouting and such every time they get happy or excited or have a tantrum. About five times a show, it is exhausting to watch. Not to mention that I get an urge to do laundry and take them all shopping to replace the clothes they either got from the dumpster behind Goodwill or the local teen clothes and hookerware outlet these twenties and thirties actors were dressed in. Not one of them could dress without some idiocy, like the always erect nipples on tee shirts on some while the person they are talking to is in layers with a flannel shirt.

Reminds me of old Doris Day and Rock Hudson movies.

• MollyandDMollyandD member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2015
    Friends is my all time favorite show. I even have a shirt that says "I'm his lobster" and a dog named Phoebe. I never really paid attention to the way they nip out, but my husband points it out, no pun intended, every time.
  • I haven't been watching regularly but catch the odd rerun on tv.

I was reading this article yesterday: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/01/22/friends_chandler_bing_and_his_homophobia_are_the_worst_thing_about_watching.html

Is anyone finding this to be true? I keep thinking he's an ass but haven't watched enough yet to have an opinion on the rest.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I haven't been watching regularly but catch the odd rerun on tv.

I was reading this article yesterday: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/01/22/friends_chandler_bing_and_his_homophobia_are_the_worst_thing_about_watching.html

Is anyone finding this to be true? I keep thinking he's an ass but haven't watched enough yet to have an opinion on the rest.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Well, we have made huge strides in the last 20 years. (Yeah...20 years ago...we are old), so I think part of it is a sign of the times. But isn't his homophobia rooted in the childhood trauma of his dad leaving the family for a man at thanksgiving? I'm like you not watching regularly, but that aspect if his character doesn't stand out to me.

• Yes! I watched when I was younger but definitely didn't "get" everything so now I am watching from the beginning.

The nipples. Yes. I was like, well, I didn't realize that was a thing.

I will say that I wish my boobs looked that good without a bra though.

• The hilarious thing though, is that often you can see the outline of the bra, too.  Not quoting bc it's so long, but the "Knows nipples are on show/ still doesn't wear a bra" meme, you can totally see her bra too.  It's like they buy the thinnest bras possible on purpose.

Mysteries of life I will never answer...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Friends is my ALL time favorite show, so I'm not really re-watching it on Netflix since I have all the seasons on DVD, and watch the reruns on tv every single night. 

I have always noticed the nipples, though. I also thought it was on purpose, cuz, damn!
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• Chandler was behind the times and unpleasantly homophobic in the 90's at first airing of friends.

But that is a regionally based judgement. Where my sister lived in rural OK for 2 years people are so homophobic they are ridiculous, and the common perception is that all homosexual males are also pedophiles and aggressively seek to corrupt your children. (less true in cities and some student areas of OK.). So on national television series maybe they were deliberately less gay friendly to keep national advertising money.
  • I watched the pilot a few days ago WTF was up with Monica's suspender outfit?  Really?  That was their opening outfit for her?

If that boobs comment was directed at me, I never said I wasn't the one looking.  I think boobs are great. 

• Lolo 883 "Maybe they're bras with built in plastic nips, to ensure adequate nippage at all times."

I am sure they are not her real ones. To film for the time it takes for scenes to be just right takes a long time and nipples only stay erect when stimulated -too long a time.- or with prolonged cold, and she would show gooseflesh wearing a sleeveless tee that long, and blue lips would ruin her makeup.
  • I just started watching friends today, and I can't believe I didn't notice nipples yet! I keep getting distracted by Rachel's tiny waist. It took me an episode or two to get over the laugh track (or live audience? can't tell) but I think I'm past it. I have a pet peeve with laugh tracks.

Great show, though. I'm determined to fully enjoy this snowy Saturday by not getting out of bed. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards