Vow Renewals

Vow renewal?!!! I'm stuck!

So my husband and I have been been married 7 yrs but we initially got married at the court house. He was incarcerated and i married him but he was not there (if that makes any sense). we have a legal marriage and his step father stood in for him so we are legally married. Yep crazy, very crazy! So i dont know if this is a vow renewal or a wedding. I know its not a second wedding but i dont know how to start planning this thing. this is our first wedding and its actually the first time we said our vows to each other. pls help me. Im thinking this is more of a vow renewal....

Re: Vow renewal?!!! I'm stuck!

• Since you are legally married, you would have a vow renewal.  A good resource is idotaketwo.com

Good luck!
  • you are legally married so it's a vow renewal.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Hi, and welcome to the board..since you are legally married. It's a vow renew.enjoy planning :)
  • Your situation seems a little different from a normal VR since you never said 'vows' before. I'd say do what makes you happy. Even though you are legally married, this is still your first time reciting vows and celebrating your marriage!! This sort of thing does tend to be a touchy subject here - you may also want to reach out for some advice on Wedding Wire :) 
  • OP, you can have a fabulous vow renewal.  Just don't try to turn it into a re-do wedding.  Get a gorgeous gown (not an obvious wedding gown) in your favorite color, renew your vows and have a great reception party for your friends and family!
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Renew your vows but do not call it wedding or dress like a bride. 
  • NoneForUs said:
    Renew your vows but do not call it wedding or dress like a bride. 
    Well couldn't she wear whatever she wants? So if she wants to wear a white gown, that's her choice, right? I mean as long as everyone knows it is a vow renewel and not a wedding, it doesn't matter what anyone wears.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• NoneForUs said:

Renew your vows but do not call it wedding or dress like a bride. 

Well couldn't she wear whatever she wants? So if she wants to wear a white gown, that's her choice, right? I mean as long as everyone knows it is a vow renewel and not a wedding, it doesn't matter what anyone wears.
    It is her choice but she will look foolish trying to play bride when she is already married. 

It actually does matter because wedding gowns are for unmarried brides and not wives. 
  • If you've been married for 7 years, it's a vow renewal. Someone stood in for your husband as he was unable to attend; however, "stood in for" = him basically being there. Wear what you want, plan what you want, but realize that the "bigger" and more foofy the event is, the tackier it seems. I had a vow renewal less than a year after I was married. The whole 9 yards. Looking back it was the biggest most ridiculous waste of money ever. I, too, got married at the JOP and then decided I wanted a big foofy wedding and wanted "my day" back. Do what you want, but in this case something simple and more romantic (destination wedding if he's allowed out of the state/country) would be more appropriate. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards