Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

How will this be percieved?

Both my groom and I are changing our name.  We are both going to hyphenate the name.  Will people think that's weird? 

Re: How will this be percieved?

• Does it matter? Do what makes you happy.
  • Who cares what they think? Your name, your choice.
    *********************************************************************************

• It doesn't matter what anyone else other than you and FI think about it.  If anyone tries to (rudely) tell you that it's weird, just change the subject (we call it "bean dipping" around here).

Rude person: "Really?  You're both hyphenating? You don't want his name? That's weird."

You: "We're really excited about it!  Have you heard about that Superbowl ad?  I've heard it's gotten a lot of complaints."  

• If it's what y'all wanna do, do it. Fi and I are also hyphenating. We haven't told anyone and don't plan to because it's our choice and what we wanna do. :)
  • Why would it be weird? People have been doing it for years.
  • Some people think it's weird that I didn't change my last name. But it's not their name, it's mine so...
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• He always wanted a middle name and my last name is a guys name so he may even take it as a middle name. 
  • I'm sure you'll get a few "well that's different" but what matters is what you two think
  • huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
    My college coach did this. He's been married for 20 years. 

No one will think twice about your name, but people may give your husband a hard time about it. Those people are assholes. Don't concern yourself with them, and do what you want.

• I wouldn't think it weird. I would think you two were choosing to have the same last name. 
  • esstee33 said:

FI and I are both changing our names to a totally new last name made up of letters from both our current names. Neither of us are attached to our last names especially, and his is long and difficult to spell correctly, so this is a much easier option that still allows us to have the same last name, which is all we care about anyway. 

People can suck it if they don't like it. 
    I really love this idea!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It just seems inconvenient. Changing my name was a big hassle, and it's a pretty streamline social concept. I can only imagine how frustrating it would be to have had DH change his name!
  • edited March 2015
    dvdplayer said:

Both my groom and I are changing our name.  We are both going to hyphenate the name.  Will people think that's weird? 

It's weird but go for it. I would def wonder about it. I think it's bizarre, but it's your name so do what makes you happy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • danamw said:

Why would it be weird? People have been doing it for years.

Not really. Most men dont change their names.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited March 2015
    SP29 said:

I wouldn't think it weird. I would think you two were choosing to have the same last name. 

That is why women change their names, so it matches. It is silly for both to do it, IMO & me personally, I'm not a fan of hypenating. There's no right or wrong, but traditionally the woman does it. I like to stick to tradition.

Name changing is a pain in the ass!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know a couple where the man took his wife's last name. No one batted an eye. We all said "cool".

• It's not strange. If a woman has to change her name, the man should be forced to as well. I think it's stupid and sexist that the woman is the only one forced to change.

• It's not strange. If a woman has to change her name, the man should be forced to as well. I think it's stupid and sexist that the woman is the only one forced to change.

Who is "forcing" these women to change their names? I'm changing my name because I'm SUPER excited to get rid of my 11-letter last name that I have to spell and to a 5-letter last name that is common. Woo. But I'm not being forced in any manner. 

• Viczaesar said:

I wouldn't think it weird. I would think you two were choosing to have the same last name. 

That is why women change their names, so it matches.
    It is silly for both to do it, IMO & me personally, I'm not a fan of hypenating. There's no right or wrong, but traditionally the woman does it. I like to stick to tradition.

I'm personally not a fan of hyphenating either. I have a long last name as it is, if I added my husband's name it would 20 letters. My husband and I kept our own names. 

But the bolded is really sexist. Why should the woman be the only one to do it, because it's tradition? The equal thing to do is to have both change or neither change.  It's not silly for both to change I find it really messed up that people would give a man a hard time because he changed his name to his wife's, or added her name to his, when woman have been doing it forever.

Perpetuating sexist stereotypes is apparently OwningaHome's shtick.

Yeah, this is the second gross sexist comment in as many weeks.
  • My FI decided he wants to take my last name. I have no desire to change mine and told him as such so he said "Ok, I'll just take your name instead". Some people have said "that's weird" but well...who the fuck cares? As long as you two are happy everyone else can shove it where the sun don't shine.
  • SP29 said:

That is why women change their names, so it matches. It is silly for both to do it, IMO & me personally, I'm not a fan of hypenating. There's no right or wrong, but traditionally the woman does it. I like to stick to tradition.

So how many chickens did your dad score for you? I mean...since you like tradition and all. Traditionally women were traded for things like livestock. 
  • I wouldn't think it weird. I would think you two were choosing to have the same last name. 

That is why women change their names, so it matches.
    It is silly for both to do it, IMO & me personally, I'm not a fan of hypenating. There's no right or wrong, but traditionally the woman does it. I like to stick to tradition.

You would be appalled in my household. My parents didn't have the same last names. I am not taking my FI's last name, his last name isn't the same as anyone else's in his family. Our son has my FI's last name. My step-mom and brother share a last name but it wasn't the same as my dad's. Guess what, the world didn't end. There are a lot of places in the world where women don't take their husband's name (Quebec and parts of Europe).
  • It's entirely up to you and your FI what your names should be.

I personally am not a fan of hyphenated surnames, but that's me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards