Chit Chat

Oh come on....laaaaame

2»

Re: Oh come on....laaaaame

• Hell no. I will gladly to a birthday party for any of my friends' kids but the second you tell me what to wear, I'm instantly irritated with you. My best friend's daughter turned one last March. The party was the same week that Ralph Wilson Jr., owner of the Buffalo Bills, died. She is a HUGE Bills fan and requested that everyone wear red, white and blue in honor of the Bills. I'm not even shitting you. I told her I didn't own anything appropriate and would just wear my normal clothes and she got pissy with me. I'm sorry, but you can't tell me what I can and cannot wear to your child's BIRTHDAY PARTY.
  • ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    MagicInk said: ashley8918 said: I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with themed kids parties. Like, if the theme is ponies, decorate with poines and shit. Have some pony plates and napkins. Hell, use pony wrapping paper. But DO NOT expect everyone to show up in their finest motherfucking pony costume. WTF?
    _______________________________________________________ Right what my brain went to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_roleplay#Pony_play
    NSFW. Also not safe for a kid's birthday party._______________________________________________________
    You mean, you
    wouldn't wear a pony butt plug to a 4-year-old's pony birthday party?! Oh...
  • MagicInk said:
    I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with themed kids parties. Like, if the theme is ponies, decorate with poines and shit. Have some pony plates and napkins. Hell, use pony wrapping paper. But DO NOT expect everyone to show up in their finest motherfucking pony costume. WTF?
    Right what my brain went to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_roleplay#Pony_play

NSFW. Also not safe for a kid's birthday party.
    I am so glad I'm not the only one!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • My family always had big 1st birthday parties..   They were at home with home cooked foods, a keg, full open bar, a few paper streamers, maybe a paper hat or 2.  Don't forget one of us almost passing out from blowing up balloons.

Granted I have a huge extended family so just inviting aunts/uncles, grandparents and cousins equals 35+ people.  So they were big due to that.  But they were always fun.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Am I the only one who doesn't understand these big to-dos for first birthday parties?  The parents aren't throwing it for their kid they are throwing it for themselves.  I just don't understand throwing such elaborate birthday parties for certain ages.  Yay, your kid turned 1, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21, etc, etc, etc.  Those ages aren't anymore special then any other age or any other birthday.

I actually get wanting to celebrate milestone birthdays. The ages you listed are a bit more special than other years for various reasons (except 10. Don't get that one). At 1 you're celebrating surviving that first year as a parent. At 13 they are officially a teenager, 16 they can get their license, 18 they are legally adults, 21 they can have their first legal drink.
  • jdluvr06 said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand these big to-dos for first birthday parties?  The parents aren't throwing it for their kid they are throwing it for themselves.  I just don't understand throwing such elaborate birthday parties for certain ages.  Yay, your kid turned 1, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21, etc, etc, etc.  Those ages aren't anymore special then any other age or any other birthday.

I actually get wanting to celebrate milestone birthdays. The ages you listed are a bit more special than other years for various reasons (except 10. Don't get that one). At 1 you're celebrating surviving that first year as a parent. At 13 they are officially a teenager, 16 they can get their license, 18 they are legally adults, 21 they can have their first legal drink.
    10 - you are in double digits.

A stretch sure, but some people celebrate those.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • jdluvr06 said:
    Am I the only one who doesn't understand these big to-dos for first birthday parties?  The parents aren't throwing it for their kid they are throwing it for themselves.  I just don't understand throwing such elaborate birthday parties for certain ages.  Yay, your kid turned 1, 10, 13, 16, 18, 21, etc, etc, etc.  Those ages aren't anymore special then any other age or any other birthday.

I mean, I wanted to celebrate those milestones, too, but I think there's a difference between the sentiment coming from the child and coming from the adult.

Also: if first birthdays are a "thank god infancy is over, we made it!" party for the parents...maybe they could just call it that? I don't know, I think most reasonable people can throw a party for their 1-year-old without being obnoxious about it. But I'm consistently surprised by stories of women who insist that their actual baby will be upset if X Y or Z thing doesn't happen just so. FALSE. If anything, the baby will react to mom's unnecessary stress and be upset about that.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • I'd get him the biggest, frilliest, sparkliest, princesstastic bow for his head. Because her theme is fucking stupid.

Also because I am resisting the desire to buy all the Disney Princess stuff for my niece. Be my vicarious outlet.

Anniversary
  • I will admit, I had a lot of themed parties when I was a kid. But I came up with the themes myself, and it was usually either "I am going to dress like a princess" or a generic costume party, with extra costumes provided for people who didn't have them. My mother and my guests were not required to do anything extravagant. (Not that we could have. We were poor as.)

But until your child is old enough to speak, there is no way you can say for certain that baby wants bowties and boots. I'm pretty sure baby wants milk and for all these loud people to go the fuck home. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    eyeroll
  • omg @novella1186 that last picture made me remember that I have a thin headband just like this that has a small bow on it. done and done. although I kind of don't want to wear it just to be a douche.

• I did buy Christmas ties for an Ugly sweater/Christmas tie party. I bought them at Walmart and I've worn mine twice since. DH has worn his three times. I would never spend more than $5 on something for a theme party that I wasn't going to wear again or re-purpose for something else. 

Anniversary
  • This thread is hilarious! I've laughed out loud for real a couple times now.
  • jdluvr06 said:

I mean, I wanted to celebrate those milestones, too, but I think there's a difference between the sentiment coming from the child and coming from the adult.

Also: if first birthdays are a "thank god infancy is over, we made it!" party for the parents...maybe they could just call it that? I don't know, I think most reasonable people can throw a party for their 1-year-old without being obnoxious about it. But I'm consistently surprised by stories of women who insist that their actual baby will be upset if X Y or Z thing doesn't happen just so. FALSE. If anything, the baby will react to mom's unnecessary stress and be upset about that.
    Exactly.  Have a "We survived the first year" party for yourself.  And really, every year of your child's life you have to get through something.  For the teenage years you should be having a "we survived last month" parties.

And sorry to all the parents I know but I really do not want to go to your child's birthday party.  I just don't care that much about your kid turning 3 or whatever.  Yeah it is great but, just no.

• WTF. I don't get throwing a huge 1st birthday, I wouldn't but if you just like to have an excuse to host a party and you understand that your baby or toddler gives less of a shit than a honey badger, go nuts. 

But telling people what to wear, let alone something stupid that they probably don't have, no freaking way. A $20 pair of cowboy boots from Walmart is not a pair of cowboy boots, it's just a waste of $20. 
  • SIL was mad at me for missing my nephew's first birthday party last year.  I was competing at the World Championships instead.  Yeah, that was booked before the kid was even born.  I'm a shitty Auntie.  

My niece's 4th is coming up this weekend.  She asked for a rainbow pony party.  I don't have to dress up though, so I don't mind going.  I've never been invited to kids birthday's unless I was related to them.  

• I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with themed kids parties. Like, if the theme is ponies, decorate with poines and shit. Have some pony plates and napkins. Hell, use pony wrapping paper. But DO NOT expect everyone to show up in their finest motherfucking pony costume. WTF?
    Exactly. 

I don't care if people go with a theme, especially when the kid is three and really into Cinderella or eight years old and obsessed with dinosaurs, but I don't think it's okay to expect everyone else to play along. Put up some Cinderella/dinosaur decorations, have a Cinderella/dinosaur cake, and be done with it.
  • I do understand the whole "we survived the first year, let's party" thing. And I pretty much attend the first birthday parties of all of my friends' kids. And I get themes. But once you start demanding that people dress for the theme, you cross the line into batshit crazy territory. 
  • I do understand the whole "we survived the first year, let's party" thing. And I pretty much attend the first birthday parties of all of my friends' kids. And I get themes. But once you start demanding that people dress for the theme, you cross the line into batshit crazy territory. 
    1000000% this. And that holds true whether you're talking about a birthday party, holiday party, wedding, family reunion, etc. Unless you're having an actual Halloween costume party, YOU CANNOT TELL ADULTS HOW TO DRESS.

1000000% this. And that holds true whether you're talking about a birthday party, holiday party, wedding, family reunion, etc. Unless you're having an actual Halloween costume party, YOU CANNOT TELL ADULTS HOW TO DRESS.
    This is one I REALLY don't get. You're family. That is the theme. Do you need to have custom printed t-shirts to make it more legitimate? 
  • KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    maeday2 said:
    I do understand the whole "we survived the first year, let's party" thing. And I pretty much attend the first birthday parties of all of my friends' kids. And I get themes. But once you start demanding that people dress for the theme, you cross the line into batshit crazy territory. 
    This is one I REALLY don't get. You're family. That is the theme. Do you need to have custom printed t-shirts to make it more legitimate? 
    We made custom t-shirts a few years! But no one had to wear them, of course. Plus it was just in my aunt's backyard, so I think that probably mitigated some of the embarrassment factor for the adults (I was like 8 when this happened, so I LOVED the shirts). I can't imagine taking your whole family to the zoo or something and wearing the same shirt. That would be insane.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • We made custom t-shirts a few years! But no one had to wear them, of course. Plus it was just in my aunt's backyard, so I think that probably mitigated some of the embarrassment factor for the adults (I was like 8 when this happened, so I LOVED the shirts). I can't imagine taking your whole family to the zoo or something and wearing the same shirt. That would be insane.
    LOL I read this as "a few years ago" and then made a big WTF face when you said you were 8 at the time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards