Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Southern barbecue at the reception, anyone see any issues?

FI and I joke about being "classy enough." We like to dress up for events, but at the end of the day we just aren't fancy folk. FI and I LOVE the idea of having Southern barbecue as food for our reception. We both grew up in Georgia and his father judges barbecue across the Southeast, and he grew up in the culture. Our reception venue's caterer has a barbecue themed menu for a buffet style reception, which is great. We were thinking of having the following to serve:

• Pulled Pork
  • Pulled Chicken
  • A choice of one of three sauces (South Carolina Gold, a Vinegar-based sauce, and a tomato-based sauce)
  • Macaroni and Cheese
  • Green Beans 
  • Mashed potatoes
  • Salad bar
  • Rolls
Does anyone see any issues with the menu as far as food restrictions go? Let me know, because it isn't set in stone yet. I just don't want to have any issues with it for guests!

(ETA words)

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Southern barbecue at the reception, anyone see any issues?

• I love the idea of barbecue & I think the menu sounds great. I would consider choosing between mac & cheese and mashed potatoes, though --- they're both heavy starches, so one or the other would be fine (personally, I'd keep the mac & cheese). 
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks @ElcaB! I think I'll stick with Mac and Cheese and replace the mashed potatoes with cole slaw. Yay or nay?

eta: Or broccoli salad????

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I love the idea of BBQ and I would be all. over. that. I think replacing the mashed potatoes with either coleslaw or broccoli salad would be fine... maybe coleslaw since that is typically served with BBQ anyway.
  • I went to a cousin's wedding a few years back that had Carolina BBQ as the meal. It was amazing.

And as far as dietary restrictions, I think you're good - good variety of meat, carbs and veggies. 

Two thumbs up from me! Make sure you have sweet tea! hahah
    --

• Love it and would eat all of it! If you wanted to add more veggies, I think a broccoli salad is a great alternative to mashed potatoes since you have mac&cheese, potatoes and rolls. Another way to limit carbs would be to replace the rolls with corn bread. Not saying you should, just an idea.

Don't you dare remove the mac and cheese, whatever you do. :)
    *********************************************************************************

• KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    Sounds delicious and I would eat everything on your menu! I agree with PPs suggestions as to the mashed potato to salad ratio. :)

And I'm just going to put it out there that I love lemonade as an option with this kind of food!
  • I hate you for posting all of this when I am starving.  GIMME ALL OF IT. 

• I would like this right now. 
  • Y'ALL. BUT AN ALL-STARCH MEAL IS MY VISON.

Kidding aside, I think I'll just replace the mashed potatoes with cole slaw (because FI doesn't like broccoli salad) and we may have a choice of corn bread or rolls. I'm glad you all love the menu! I've been receiving some push back from my other about the menu choices. She just feels like it should be more formal and I was starting to wonder the same thing. 

But we're paying. Soooo...
    a) you're paying;
    b) just because you're serving BBQ does not mean you can't create a more formal atmosphere if you feel like it; and 
    c) you're paying.
    *********************************************************************************

• tbh it's going to be more of a "Big Ol' Party" atmosphere than anything else because of the people FI and I love. If we tried anything else, it would seem phony. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can I come?  Sounds awesome to me!
  • arrrghmateyarrrghmatey member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2015
                                     Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Your menu sounds great!

Screw the coleslaw, ew! There's nothing wrong with mashed potatoes and mac and cheese. . . if people don't want both kinds of starch, *they* can pick one or the other!

Maybe add collard greens or another regional fave in place of coleslaw if you are worried about not having enough greens/veggies?

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• YUMMMMM. 

Although please make sure there are extra napkins around. I WILL spill this stuff on my dress.
  • I think the only issue you're going to have is that all of the folks reading this are going to find some way to attend your reception....
    I volunteer to be Basket!!

~*~*~*~*~

• rcher912 said:
    YUMMMMM. 

Although please make sure there are extra napkins around. I WILL spill this stuff on my dress.
    I'm the biggest klutz in the world (just ask my high school students who think I'm faking) and I WILL spill this somehow. So napkins will abound!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Love it and would eat all of it! If you wanted to add more veggies, I think a broccoli salad is a great alternative to mashed potatoes since you have mac&cheese, potatoes and rolls. Another way to limit carbs would be to replace the rolls with corn bread. Not saying you should, just an idea.

Don't you dare remove the mac and cheese, whatever you do. :)
    I agree with every word of this. Especially the bolded. You would be my favorite person on the planet if you served me both mac and cheese and cornbread at a reception.
  • rcher912 said:
    YUMMMMM. 

And lots and lots of wet wipes!!!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Do you have anyone who is vegetarian/vegan?  We are also considering BBQ and I noticed that the green beans and baked beans were both cooked with bacon or ham or something so I would see if there is a vegetarian option for anything.  I know the menu I looked at said they had vegetarian options so if we do that I will order a couple of meals that way because I know for sure we have 2 vegetarians

• Thanks @ElcaB! I think I'll stick with Mac and Cheese and replace the mashed potatoes with cole slaw. Yay or nay?

eta: Or broccoli salad????
    Pasta salad would be good too!
  • This is basically our exact menu (collard greens instead of mashed potatoes and cornbread instead of rolls), and I'm so excited to hear that so many people would love it!  I was also worried it might not feel "formal" enough, but I don't care.  Because macaroni and cheese.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2015

Y'ALL. BUT AN ALL-STARCH MEAL IS MY VISON.

Kidding aside, I think I'll just replace the mashed potatoes with cole slaw (because FI doesn't like broccoli salad) and we may have a choice of corn bread or rolls. I'm glad you all love the menu! I've been receiving some push back from my other about the menu choices. She just feels like it should be more formal and I was starting to wonder the same thing. 

You mean mother, not SO, right? As long as your FI is on board I think it sounds fucking delicious. And I personally would want a boatload of mac and cheese and another boatload of mashed potatoes.

Anniversary

• Y'ALL. BUT AN ALL-STARCH MEAL IS MY VISON.

You mean mother, not SO, right? As long as your FI is on board I think it sounds fucking delicious. And I personally would want a boatload of mac and cheese and another boatload of mashed potatoes.
    Oops. Yes. Mother. :) And I agree. As I said, starches are my vision. I can add another buffet item for a smidge extra and I may do that to add some more green. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • snippet17 said:

You have no vegetarian opinions. Add one.

If she has vegetarians (or isn't sure) on her guest list, then yes, she should add one.

If she knows doesn't have any vegetarians, though, I don't think she needs one.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • snippet17 said:

If she has vegetarians (or isn't sure) on her guest list, then yes, she should add one.

If she knows doesn't have any vegetarians, though, I don't think she needs one.
    I've met with the venue and reviewed their catering options. For a group my size, they suggested stations, which don't have the barbecue set-up we originally wanted, but we can alter it so it can be Southern Barbecue style. It also allows for a lot more veggies! As far as we know, we don't have any vegetarians, though. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • snippet17 said:

Always good to offer, but the last 4 weddings I've been to I've heard from the B&G that no one actually ordered that option. So maybe just check with your guest list, or make sure the veggie "sides" are diverse enough and sufficient for a full meal in case someone is a vegetarian.

It's also good to check for severe food allergies if that's something your caterer can handle. Mine will handle food allergies at no added cost, so our guests with celiac, nut and dairy allergies are taken care of without me needing to pay extra for special meals. They just get their meals specially brought out to them. 
  • This is basically our exact menu (collard greens instead of mashed potatoes and cornbread instead of rolls), and I'm so excited to hear that so many people would love it!  I was also worried it might not feel "formal" enough, but I don't care.  Because macaroni and cheese.

Always because mac and cheese. We had mac and cheese at our wedding. If anyone side eyed it, I didn't notice or care because I was busy stuffing my face with it. #sorrynotsorry

• As others have mentioned, if you have a vegetarian then they'll probably want another option, though I do know a number of vegetarians who would happily make a meal out of mac'n'cheese...

Just be sure you don't have any strict gluten-free guests or else they'll just be eating green beans for dinner (most BBQ sauces and salad dressings contain gluten)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards