Registry and Gift Forum

Zola, Blueprint, Etc.

daisy28426daisy28426 member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
edited February 2015 in Registry and Gift Forum
Hello!  I am trying to decide on which wedding website registry to use and have seen Zola & Blueprint so far.  I'm wondering if anybody has ever used either?  If so, please let me know the details. If you know anything or have heard anything about these sites please let me know what you know!  I need to register asap.  Thanks so much!!!!

Re: Zola, Blueprint, Etc.

• There are at least two threads on this page discussing blueprint registries.
  • edited February 2015
    Hello!  I am trying to decide on which wedding website registry to use and have seen Zola & Blueprint so far.  I'm wondering if anybody has ever used either?  If so, please let me know the details. If you know anything or have heard anything about these sites please let me know what you know!  I need to register asap.  Thanks so much!!!!
    What PP said. Spoiler alert: don't freaking use any of them. You will still get money without saying a single word, promise. We registered for physical gifts and still got a bunch of cash/checks.
  • What's quick and actually appropriate is to either

1. Not register (your guests will probably give you cash/gift cards)

2. Spend an afternoon setting up a registry at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Crate & Barrel, Macy's, or whatever store strikes your fancy

Easy, quick, and wont make you look like an ass begging for cash!

• Zola and Blueprint are tacky as fuck. 

Anniversary
  • I'm really confused. I thought this was a brilliant idea! A place where u can combine all stores into one registry? What is tacky or begging about that. Maybe I'm confused about what these are? I guess that would explain why I'm asking for more information! So if anybody has any helpful information I would appreciate it.
  • I'm really confused. I thought this was a brilliant idea! A place where u can combine all stores into one registry? What is tacky or begging about that. Maybe I'm confused about what these are? I guess that would explain why I'm asking for more information! So if anybody has any helpful information I would appreciate it.
    You don't actually get what you register for.  You get a big fat check minus all of the fees.  So not only do you get $93 instead of the $100 that was gifted to you, but it is essentially asking people for money, which is incredibly rude.  Some sites tell you they don't charge fees.  This is a lie; they are businesses and businesses exist to make money.    

It's okay to have a registry at 2-3 different stores.  It's also okay not to register at all because then people just give you cash anyways (everyone knows cash is a great gift).  If people ask you where you are registered you may either reply, "Oh, we aren't registered anywhere, but we have been saving up for X," or "Oh, we're not registered anywhere--we're just looking forward to celebrating with everyone at the wedding!"  It becomes rude when you use these sites because you are essentially telling people they need to give you money.  

If you would like to set up registries at a few different stores, just take an afternoon to set them up.  Amazon also usually has everything a normal department store has, and I believe it is okay etiquette wise to set up a registry with them (regs?), if you're looking for something that will have everything in one place.  Truly though, if you would like to register, I would just go to the stores you want or register online for them.  It's etiquette approved, graceful, and you won't be asking your guests for cash.  

• Ok thank u for explaining, but I still don't think I understand. When I was browsing their sites at existing registery's, it seems like u click on the item u want to buy and it navigates u to to the site to purchase this item. How do u end up not getting the items and getting cash instead? I'm sorry if I'm beating a dead horse here but it's still not clear to me how these websites truly work!
  • Also, I am interested in registering for tangible gifts on these sites, not cash gifts, just to be clear
  • Also, I am interested in registering for tangible gifts on these sites, not cash gifts, just to be clear
    They still take a cut for using your site, so it takes advantage of your guests.  Honestly though, what is the problem with just using the actual store registry? 

• levioosa said:

Also, I am interested in registering for tangible gifts on these sites, not cash gifts, just to be clear

They still take a cut for using your site, so it takes advantage of your guests.  Honestly though, what is the problem with just using the actual store registry? 

Or Amazon? Amazon has everything, so I'm not sure why a third party is needed, unless you wanthe like flatware from crate and barrel anddishes from pottery barn, in which case, make registries at Crate and Barrel and Pottery barn.

Anniversary
  • chibiyui said:
    Also, I am interested in registering for tangible gifts on these sites, not cash gifts, just to be clear
    Or Amazon? Amazon has everything, so I'm not sure why a third party is needed, unless you wanthe like flatware from crate and barrel anddishes from pottery barn, in which case, make registries at Crate and Barrel and Pottery barn.
    ^This.  If you want everything in one place, just use Amazon.  It won't take a cut from your guests and it is etiquette approved. 

• Peeps, it's because I want things from all over, more than just three or four different places! So ya I already considered Amazon, thank u for the alternate suggestion. Honestly, I just want to know specifically how blueprint and or Zola works, bc I have found nowhere on their sites that they take a cut from the tabgible gifts people buy from ur registry. I would greatly appreciate it if someone who has actually used one of these sites could answer with some specific details and personal experiences
  • In fact, here's some info i just found on blueprint faq page...

"Blueprint Registry is an absolutely free service - it costs you and your guests nothing to use the platform. There are zero fees associated with the purchase of tangible gifts on Blueprint Registry. For cash and experience gifts, we simply pass on the credit card transaction fee of 2.99% + $0.30 cents to the guest at time of purchase, similar to sales tax."

So this info contradicts what u guys are saying, so now I am even more confused. I'd appreciate a response from someone who is truly informed and can he helpful here without judging me on considering using the site.
  • Peeps, it's because I want things from all over, more than just three or four different places! So ya I already considered Amazon, thank u for the alternate suggestion. Honestly, I just want to know specifically how blueprint and or Zola works, bc I have found nowhere on their sites that they take a cut from the tabgible gifts people buy from ur registry. I would greatly appreciate it if someone who has actually used one of these sites could answer with some specific details and personal experiences

So Blueprint heavily advertises registering for big items and experiences (like honeymoons - please do not register for a honeymoon) as "group gifts" which is basically registering for cash. You set a price point for each guest contributing to the big ticket item - that's gross and tacky. And yes, these sites charge a 2.99% fee on all cash and "experience" gifts (aka you're much better off not registering and letting your guests throw cash or checks into a card).

If you are registering ONLY for small tangible items, fine go forth, but I personally wouldn't use these sites as opposed to tried and true registries. Blueprint and Zola are new start-ups and don't have many online reviews out there (I live my life by online reviews - Yelp, Google, and WeddingWire reviews were my saving grace during the wedding planning process). Not to mention, these sites are essentially a middle man. You have to go back to the original store for exchanges and returns anyway, making these sites MUCH less worthwhile IMO. It seems like it's a cool interface, but a hassle in the long run. You're still purchasing through other stores.

https://www.blueprintregistry.com/help-faqs   

Seriously, Amazon has literally everything and allows you to set up a registry where your guests can purchase tangible gifts at cost (i.e. it's not begging for cash, and there are no fees) and almost always has free shipping on items over $35 (which makes it a big win for me when I'm a guest). What's your issue with Amazon? Not to mention, Blueprint's biggest vendor IS Amazon - so again, the site seems like a nuisance of a middleman.

• levioosalevioosa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    daisy28426 said: In fact, here's some info i just found on blueprint faq page... "Blueprint Registry is an absolutely free service - it costs you and your guests nothing to use the platform. There are zero fees associated with the purchase of tangible gifts on Blueprint Registry. For cash and experience gifts, we simply pass on the credit card transaction fee of 2.99% + $0.30 cents to the guest at time of purchase, similar to sales tax." So this info contradicts what u guys are saying, so now I am even more confused. I'd appreciate a response from someone who is truly informed and can he helpful here without judging me on considering using the site.

TK ate the boxes
    Dude, it's saying exactly what I said. That
    is a fee.  And "passing it along to your guests" is a gross concept. It's just their way of disguising the wording. Just use Amazon.  

• In addition...Using these sites for boxed gifts is dangerous bc it relies on the guest coming back and updating the registry on their purchase. Many people won't take the extra step and then you get 3 toasters. Also you lose out on the completion discount that traditional registries often offer.
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

• daisy28426daisy28426 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2015
    Levioosa- I had already mentioned in the thread that I'm not looking into using these sites for cash gifts and experiences only for tangible gifts since I want things from several different places therefore there would be no fees according to that statement, so with all do respect please do not "dude" me.

Photo kitty- ur post is the first post that gave me a real reason, rather than just a personal opinion, why one would not want to use these sites. This is the first real drawback that I've heard and I thank u for pointing this out!

• I just wish someone who actually used blueprint could answer with a quick summary of the experience and steps involved and the pros and cons of the process, that's really all I'm looking for at this point
  • I just wish someone who actually used blueprint could answer with a quick summary of the experience and steps involved and the pros and cons of the process, that's really all I'm looking for at this point
    Dude, I read through the FAQs and figured out exactly how it works, and it sounds like a hassle. I also told you I wouldn't use these since they are new - not many people out there have used them. What is your obsession here?
  • My sister used a similar platform to register for gifts from a lot of different stores. As a guest it was a pain in the ass to buy things from the stores because the registry platform and the store didn't work together - to buy something you needed to look up the item on her registry manager, go to the store website or physical store, search for the exact item she picked, buy the item from the store, then go back to the registry website to mark the item as bought. I know there were also some issues when items were out of stock or discontinued but I don't know the details. I do know I found one item that was discontinued and had to inform sis so she could manually remove it from the registry. A lot of people didn't go back to check off the items they bought so she got a lot of doubles and triples. Furthermore, there was no completion discount, so she had to pay full price for all the items that were left on the registry. Having a store registry gives you a 10-15% discount on the purchase of remaining items.

Anniversary
  • Seriously OP, what I told you also applied to the "boxed gifts" on many of those sites too. Why are you having such a hard time with that?  I wasn't giving  you "personal opinions."  You just didn't like it. PPs have given you additional information.  Just don't do it.  You're wasting your time.  And mine now.  

• I was just reading through the FAQs and every time someone purchases a gift they send you a notification including the gift and the purchaser. Doesn't that kind of, I don't know, ruin the surprise? 
    Then consolidate.

In all seriousness, how many individual retailers are you looking at? And what sort of items at each? If there's one or two places where you want a lot of stuff, and then 3 places you only want like, one thing, just register at the one or two with a bunch of stuff and then use cash gifts for the others. 

Blueprint is not convientent for anyone.

Anniversary
  • I used myregistry.com to register for things from several different sites. No one used it except my mother. Because no one knew how and it was a PITA.

Also, these sites allow encourage you to register for money, which is both stupid and tacky. How are you not getting that?
  • As PPs have said, if you are not registering for "cash" gifts, why not just use Amazon? Pretty much every major retailer with an ecommerce presence also sells their merchandise through Amazon (or they list in on Amazon, and when you click "buy," it redirects you to their site). That means even if you like a specific set of towels from BB&B (for example), you can likely still list them on your Amazon registry.

I know you are specifically asking for input from people who have actually used Zola or Blueprint. Notice how you have not received said advice? That's probably because not that many people on here have used Blueprint or Zola, since they are, as PPs have said, pretty new companies. That doesn't mean you are not getting great advice, you just are not listening to it.

SO, here are options better than Zola or Blueprint:

1. Amazon. Seriously, Amazon has everything you could possibly want.
    2. Go set up registries at a few brick and mortar retailers.
    3. Don't register at all, and most likely people will give you cash gifts.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • How much are you wanting that Amazon, Macy's and Bed Bath and Beyond don't have these things?

As PPS pointed out, I may not want to go through these sites. Cc fraud is enough of a pita at Target among other big box stores. I don't know that I'm going to want to go through another website just cause.
    And to the bolded: This also applies to Amazon. You say you looked into using Amazon; what about it did you not like? The only reason (and a bad one at that) to use Zola or Blueprint is to register for money, which is tacky. 

There are two obvious downfalls to using Zola or Blueprint:

Guest convenience: As multiple PPs have said, it's a pain in the ass. You have to check the registry, go to a store/store's website to buy, then return to the registry to check it off. I guarantee some of your guests will forget to do that last part. So unless you want three meat thermometers, you'd be better off not using these sites.

The tacky factor: If you were registering for cash, they take a portion of it in fees. I know you said you were not doing this, but I honestly don't see why you would bother with these sites if you are not registering for cash gifts. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Geeze people ok, you've convinced me not to use Blueprint & Zola. Is that what you wanted to hear?  For the record, I'm not against using Amazon at all and may end up using it. The point of this thread was to become informed on these new companies, so I could make an informed choice once I knew everything about all of my options.  The only thing I really have learned about the tangible gift registry is that guests are going to have to look through the registry, purchase an item and then come back to mark it complete. To me that sounds like it's basically only one more click than you would have on Amazon. Trust me when I say that I only have a small group of guests coming, and they are smart and savvy people who most likely won't find the extra click to be an inconvenience. And I do understand that I have not gotten a lot of responses about personal experiences because the companies are new and I get that. But you act like it's a bad thing that they are new, personally I am in support of new companies. Start-ups go through a lot of trial and error and evolution, so they may be working towards having zero fees, you just never know where the company will go. But I do know that they are creating jobs and are creating solutions, so why not give them a chance.  I'm not worried about being viewed as tacky, because I won't be using any of the services that they charge for anyhow, but trust me when I say that I heard you all loud and clear about it being tacky, so message received. If anybody knows how to close a thread please shut this one down. I'm tapping out and going elsewhere for my information from this point on. Thanks anyways and hope you all have great weddings!

• Geeze people ok, you've convinced me not to use Blueprint & Zola. Is that what you wanted to hear?  For the record, I'm not against using Amazon at all and may end up using it. The point of this thread was to become informed on these new companies, so I could make an informed choice once I knew everything about all of my options.  The only thing I really have learned about the tangible gift registry is that guests are going to have to look through the registry, purchase an item and then come back to mark it complete. To me that sounds like it's basically only one more click than you would have on Amazon. Trust me when I say that I only have a small group of guests coming, and they are smart and savvy people who most likely won't find the extra click to be an inconvenience. And I do understand that I have not gotten a lot of responses about personal experiences because the companies are new and I get that. But you act like it's a bad thing that they are new, personally I am in support of new companies. Start-ups go through a lot of trial and error and evolution, so they may be working towards having zero fees, you just never know where the company will go. But I do know that they are creating jobs and are creating solutions, so why not give them a chance.  I'm not worried about being viewed as tacky, because I won't be using any of the services that they charge for anyhow, but trust me when I say that I heard you all loud and clear about it being tacky, so message received. If anybody knows how to close a thread please shut this one down. I'm tapping out and going elsewhere for my information from this point on. Thanks anyways and hope you all have great weddings!

It's not so much that it is inconvenient, but that people will forget to do it or assume that they don't need to go back and mark it purchased. Smart and savvy doesn't mean you will think to go back to the first website and tell them what you bought after you have purchased it. Not to mention if they go to the store to buy it, then it may never occur to them to log back on.

Threads are only closed for specific reasons, TOS violations or zombies, so this thread will remain open. Thanks :) 
    :kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards