Destination Weddings Discussions

Who to invite to remote destination wedding?

We are having a destination wedding in December in Africa due to our parents still being there and wanting a real cultural celebration. Regardless of location, we were planning to have at least 200 people, now we are planning for about 400+ (big African family won't miss a party). Should I invite ALL friends from the USA even though I know that most of them won't be able to make it? Inviting them means they hold a special place in our lives, but I don't want it to seem like we are just inviting them because we expect gifts. At this point, we haven't decided if we need to hold a small party in the US and don't want to have one after all the resources go into a huge celebration in our home country.

thoughts?

Re: Who to invite to remote destination wedding?

• Invite whomever you would want to attend, as long as that number fits within the number of people your venue can hold and what you can afford. It is probably true that many people may not be able to make the journey, but you may be surprised as to how many would consider it.

It is absolutely not gift grabby to invite someone to attend your wedding, but it does seem gift grabby to host a party upon your return. It's true that many people do host at home receptions following a destination wedding, but I personally find it to be a bit AWish and a lot of extra work.

• We are having a destination wedding in December in Africa due to our parents still being there and wanting a real cultural celebration. Regardless of location, we were planning to have at least 200 people, now we are planning for about 400+ (big African family won't miss a party). Should I invite ALL friends from the USA even though I know that most of them won't be able to make it? Inviting them means they hold a special place in our lives, but I don't want it to seem like we are just inviting them because we expect gifts. At this point, we haven't decided if we need to hold a small party in the US and don't want to have one after all the resources go into a huge celebration in our home country.

thoughts?

This is why you invite people to your wedding. Beyond what PP noted above about venue and budget, you should invite who you want there. We invited everyone we would have invited if we had a local wedding, because they are our friends and family, and we would have loved if they could all join us. We also threw a bbq when we got back. It was just a party without a wedding theme, but we had our pictures available for those who wanted to see them, and an awesome cake. 
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Thanks for the feedback ladies! We've thought about including a link to wedding pictures and video to our thank yous as well as some kind of token from our destination.
  • If you would invite them to a wedding in US, then go ahead and invite them to the destination wedding.  We had several family members that I would have loved to join us, but knew they likely wouldn't be able to afford the trip, but we invited them anyway since we truly would have enjoyed their company.  We even had a few of them manage to make the trip, which was awesome.  Some of them may surprise you and attend, so make sure you can accommodate them if that happens.  Our venue would have been able to accommodate all 80 people we invited, even though only 25 actually came.  Some people do get 100% attendance at destination weddings, even if they didn't expect to, so don't invite more people than you can really accommodate.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards