Wedding Invitations & Paper

Invitation help please

The invitation that I'm thinking of using, has the Bride and Groom's name listed first, and then the invitation wording after, what wording would I use since the names are first?

The wording that they have is: Bride and Groom

Invite you to share in the joy at the celebration of their marriage

Can this be used or is wrong etiquette wise?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Invitation help please

• It is a faux-pas for the bride and groom to directly invite guests to their own wedding.  The wording here doesn't even make it clear that this IS a wedding invitation.  "Celebration of their marriage" sounds like you are already married and you are inviting people to a party to celebrate.

Who is hosting your wedding?  Is it a church wedding, or will it be held somewhere else?  We need to know these things beffore recommending a wording for you.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Denise40Denise40 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2015
    We, the bride and groom, will be hosting our wedding.  I didn't think it sounded right.  Thanks for helping. @cmGragain
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The wording "celebration of their marriage" sounds like you are already married and you are just having a party to celebrate that fact.  Not that your guests are actually being invited to watch you and your SO get married in a ceremony.

Also, some people on here take issue with you assuming that your guests should take joy in attending your event.  Silly?  Yes.  But some people don't like being told how they should feel.

• @Maggie0829 I totally understand.  That is why I'm asking.  The invitation actually had that on the sample.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, Date
    time o'clock
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

Reception to follow (This is if the reception is in the same place as the ceremony.)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain, what if our names come first before "The pleasure of your company" etc how would the wording be?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    I don't really care for this, but you could put your names at the top of the invitation, also.

Bride and Groom

The pleasure of your company is requested
    at the marriage of
    Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    Day, Date
    time o'clock
    Venue Name
    Address
    City, State

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • @CMGragain Thank you so much!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hutchslhutchsl member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2015

we hosted our own wedding. Got these from internet searches

Couple Inviting Verse 7

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

This day we begin

the adventure of a lifetime...

Please join us as we

BRIDE

and

GROOM

are united in marriage

at an outdoor ceremony

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 21

A friendship that was
    shared by two

has grown into a love so true

Please share our joy as we

BRIDE

and

GROOM

exchange marriage vows

and begin our new life together

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 23

BRIDE

and

GROOM

joyfully invite you to share

in their happiness

as they unite in marriage

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple
    Inviting Verse 24

The pleasure of your company

is requested as

BRIDE

and

GROOM

vow to share their lives

in a marriage ceremony

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse

BRIDE

and

GROOM

exchange marriage vows

and begin our new life together

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 35

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

— William Shakespeare, Sonnet XVIII

So long as I can breathe or I can see

so long lives your love, which gives life to me.

It is with joy that we,

BRIDE

and

GROOM

invite you to share

in our happiness

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 36

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?

— William Shakespeare, Sonnet XVIII

The eternal summer of our love

will not fade...

Please join us as we,

BRIDE

and

GROOM

begin our new life together

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

ITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 56

BRIDE

and

GROOM

invite you to share in the joy

when they exchange marriage vows

and begin their new life together

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 59

BRIDE

and

GROOM

request the honour of your presence

at their marriage

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 64

It is our moment to celebrate

the love that unites us.

BRIDE

and

GROOM

invite you to share with us

this joyous celebration of love

at our marriage

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 69

To everything there is a season

a time and a purpose

BRIDE

and

GROOM

invite you to share with them

a day of happy beginnings

when they will be united in marriage

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 71

Two lives, two hearts

joined together in friendship

united forever in love.

It is with joy that we,

BRIDE

and

GROOM

invite you to share

in a celebration of love

as we exchange our marriage vows

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 73

The pleasure of your
    company

is requested at the marriage of

BRIDE

to

GROOM

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 104

This day I will marry my best friend,

the one I laugh with, live for, love

BRIDE

daughter of

BRIDE'S PARENTS

and

GROOM

son of

GROOM'S PARENTS

hope that you will join in this celebration

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 148

A friendship that was
    shared by two

has grown into a love so true.

BRIDE

and

GROOM

join in marriage

DATE at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

Couple Inviting Verse 152

BRIDE

and

GROOM

at their marriage

on DATE

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

What I like:

Two lives, two
    hearts

joined together in friendship

united forever in love

BRIDE

and

GROOM

at their marriage

on DAY

YEAR

at TIME

ADDRESS

CITY, STATE

• CMGragainCMGragain member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Um...well, you can read a lot of things on the internet.  That doesn't make them true.
    Most of these examples are not etiquette approved.

1.  The bride and groom NEVER directly invite guests to their own wedding which is held in their own honor.  This is a faux-pas!  If no one else is hosting the wedding, the invitations is worded in the passive voice.

2.  Wedding invitations are traditionally worded in the third person, so no "we".

3.  Sentimental poetry serves no purpose, and many people find it tacky, icky-poo, barf,  The invitation is a note from the hosts to the guests telling them who, what, when, and where - not WHY!  Save the sentiment for your reception.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is bad advice you have posted.  An invitation company doesn't care if your invitations are correct or not.  They only want to sell you something.  Many companies, notably Vistaprint, seem to know nothing about invitation wording.  I take advice from Crane's Blue Book of Invitations.  They have been giving wording advice for more than 200 years.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited February 2015
    Aside from the fact that wedding invitations are notes from the hosts to the intended guests conveying what, who, when, where, and how formal, there are two reasons to stick with traditional wording:

1) Traditional wording makes clear exactly what guests are invited to, whereas other wording can confuse them. As noted above, the word "celebration" suggests that the ceremony has already taken place. Miss Manners writes in the Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior that something worded something like "Bride and Groom invite you to celebrate the joy in the beginning of their new life together as they exchange marriage vows" caused a guest to believe he was not invited to the ceremony and only attended the reception, causing hurt feelings.

2) Overly romantic wording reads like verbal PDA. Yes, you're getting married, which is presumably a happy occasion. Traditional wording has this premise built into it. In fact, traditionally, if one has to emphasize how "happy" or "joyous" the occasion is beyond using traditional wording, then something is actually wrong.
  • Personally, I say go with whatever wording you and your FH like. Before we ordered our invites I was scrolling through here looking for ideas. I believe I read that whoever is hosting, that's whose names should go on top. If you and your FH are hosting, then your names. If parents are hosting, then parents. One suggestion I found, that we liked, and went with is "Together with their parents." it's a nice compromise if you and your FH are hosting, as we are. But your parents will still feel included. 
    We also used celebration in our wording. I don't think anyone will be confused as to whether they are invited to the ceremony or just reception. Our reception is at the same place as our ceremony, we mention the reception immediately follows. Plus,the invitation also gives a start time and address. Just my two cents. 
  • CMGragain said:

Um...well, you can read a lot of things on the internet.  That doesn't make them true.
    Most of these examples are not etiquette approved.

1.  The bride and groom NEVER directly invite guests to their own wedding which is held in their own honor.  This is a faux-pas!  If no one else is hosting the wedding, the invitations is worded in the passive voice.

2.  Wedding invitations are traditionally worded in the third person, so no "we".

3.  Sentimental poetry serves no purpose, and many people find it tacky, icky-poo, barf,  The invitation is a note from the hosts to the guests telling them who, what, when, and where - not WHY!  Save the sentiment for your reception.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is bad advice you have posted.  An invitation company doesn't care if your invitations are correct or not.  They only want to sell you something.  Many companies, notably Vistaprint, seem to know nothing about invitation wording.  I take advice from Crane's Blue Book of Invitations.  They have been giving wording advice for more than 200 years.

Thanks for the info,
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • pennydl said:

Personally, I say go with whatever wording you and your FH like. Before we ordered our invites I was scrolling through here looking for ideas. I believe I read that whoever is hosting, that's whose names should go on top. If you and your FH are hosting, then your names. If parents are hosting, then parents. One suggestion I found, that we liked, and went with is "Together with their parents." it's a nice compromise if you and your FH are hosting, as we are. But your parents will still feel included. 

We also used celebration in our wording. I don't think anyone will be confused as to whether they are invited to the ceremony or just reception. Our reception is at the same place as our ceremony, we mention the reception immediately follows. Plus,the invitation also gives a start time and address. Just my two cents. 
    I believe that @CMGragain and others have explained why the bolded doesn't fly in this forum.
  • @CMGragain I want to go with this invite. It's a sample so I know it's all wrong. Again we are hosting. How would the wording go using this invite?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Denise40 said:

@CMGragain I want to go with this invite. It's a sample so I know it's all wrong. Again we are hosting. How would the wording go using this invite?

In this case I think you would have to limit the fancy "&" names to just first names, while starting the traditional wording below it, as @CMGragain (reluctantly) suggested in an earlier reply. It's borderline, but probably the only way to make this design work.

Also, is it just me, or do those two kissing birds look like a mustache?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards