Nevada-Las Vegas

Common courtesy?

2»

Re: Common courtesy?

• The rule for my wedding is: +1s will only be given for spouses or SOs

That is totally reasonable! 

We did the same thing - truly single guests were addressed as such. As time came that RSVPs were winding down and we had room to accommodate extras, we let them know that if they wanted to bring someone (as they were still truly single) that they could.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The rule for my wedding was: +1s will only be given for spouses or SOs. All children included.

But that SO needs to be accounted for by the RSVP deadline.... (That's what I'm getting at.)

A significant other or spouse is not a plus one, and any significant other must be invited regardless of the length of their relationship.  Envelopes should be addressed by name to both the friend and their spouse/significant other. 

A plus one is for a truly single guest, and it is perfectly fine not to give a single guest a plus one. If you have a truly single guest who starts dating after invitations have gone out it is nice to offer them a spot for their SO, but it's not mandatory.

• I'm getting the feeling that some of you felt like we were using wedding invitations to determine the worthiness of some relationships. That was absolutely NOT the case.

All guests that were in a relationship did in fact get to bring their significant other. Guests that were "truly single" however you define that, were not given a +1. It seems like that is what most of you did/are doing as well.

My point to the OP was that the offender giving her the silent treatment might be someone she  THINKS is "truly single" but they might have a new relationship that she isn't aware of, and they aren't sure how to approach the situation.
  • I'm getting the feeling that some of you felt like we were using wedding invitations to determine the worthiness of some relationships. That was absolutely NOT the case.

All guests that were in a relationship did in fact get to bring their significant other. Guests that were "truly single" however you define that, were not given a +1. It seems like that is what most of you did/are doing as well.

My point to the OP was that the offender giving her the silent treatment might be someone she  THINKS is "truly single" but they might have a new relationship that she isn't aware of, and they aren't sure how to approach the situation.

Thank you for clarifying!! Sounds like we are on the same page. And I definitely agree with your advice to the OP - they could be in that new relationship and feeling unsure about how to respond to that invitation for just them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiance and I are doing it like this. If someone has a SO, they get a +1. If someone is single but probably won't know anyone else at the wedding, they get a +1. We just couldn't bring ourselves to invite single people who won't know another soul attending our wedding to fly to Vegas alone, get and pay for a hotel all by themselves, and then sit through out wedding and attend our reception with complete strangers. 

We are making our wedding all about our guests rather than about the two of us which is only one way to do it. We live abroad, so we want to make attending our wedding as comfortable as possible for our guests to ensure that most of them RSVP "Yes!" This may be the last time we get to see many of our friends and family members again for quite some time, so it's important to us that everyone have a great time. :)

We are on a budget but just decided to downgrade some of our previous plans and ideas in order to accommodate more people. It's all about your priorities. If luxury is more important, then, by all means, only invite a few of your closest friends. If the experience of everyone you love being in the same place is more what you're after, then cut some of the amenities and optional events. Either way, you'll get what you want which is really all that matters. ;)

QFT. Excellent post.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards