Chit Chat

Stupid people

So my nursing school class has this facebook page where we can ask questions, give tips, post funny stuff, interesting articles, whatever. Well, last night someone shared a link to this ridiculous story where supposedly oranges from Libya are being injected with HIV+ blood. 

First of all, it's very clearly not a credible website. Second of all, it's already on snopes. Third, even if it were true there is no way it would work. HIV does not live for long outside of the human body. HIV needs fluid to fluid contact, so unless you have sores in your mouth it's not going to hurt you. Third, even if you do do something that can get you infected, it's no guarantee that it will. The pass rate is hardly 100%. So even if you get stuck with an infected needle or have unprotected sex with someone that has it, chances are still pretty decent that you'll be okay. 

I just couldn't believe someone that is a nursing student would fall for that fuckery. I thought about just replying with the snopes link but didn't want to be a jerk. I see someone else did this morning though. She should be thoroughly embarrassed. These kinds of urban legends just perpetuate hysteria about HIV/AIDS, alienates people that have it, and perpetuates this idea that people from Africa are unclean or something.

It's times like this where I'm like damn, I don't think I'm a genius or anything but how do some people even function. 

Here's a pic of the oranges.  Look like maybe they're hybrid with blood oranges or something?  I don't know much about the breeding of oranges but that's surely a more reasonable idea than thinking they're injected with blood and gonna give you AIDS. 

Re: Stupid people

• Yeah I think I've posted about this on TK before, but a lady I have on facebook is constantly posting things about how other people are stupid and everyone is stupid. 

A few months ago at the height of the ebola scare, she posted a photo on facebook and captioned it "OMG I can't believe we're doing this!!!" or something like that. The photo was a fire-fighting plane dropping red flame retardant on the forest fire in Oregon. HOWEVER, the photo has these words written on it: "Main ISIS camp" with an arrow pointing to this vast pine tree forest, and then "blood infected with ebola" with an arrow pointing to the red flame retardant being dropped from the plane. And it said this was the United States military doing this. And she believe that. 

First, it was clearly a fire fighting plane, not a US military plane. Second, it was clearly flame retardant, not blood. Didn't even look like blood. Third, it was clearly a huge evergreen forest, not the middle east. Fourth, the Oregon forest fire had been ALL OVER THE NEWS for weeks. Fifth, how the fuck would dropping blood on a camp accomplish anything? Sixth, where the fuck would we get all that blood? Did we kidnap a huge group of ebola victims and drain them into buckets? Seventh, the site that this photo came from was such a hair-brained conspiracy theory site it was so hilarious and so blatantly fake. Eighth, yeah, there's a BIG SECRET US MILITARY MISSION posted on facebook. Ok. I mean, so many things obviously false. If you used one spec of common sense it would be obvious that it was not a real thing. 

And yet this woman calls everyone else stupid. 
  • It drives me crazy when people post "articles" all over Facebook about a new disease, news or political related articles, and "life hacks" that are obviously a joke or from a non credible source.

• emmaaa said:

It drives me crazy when people post "articles" all over Facebook about a new disease, news or political related articles, and "life hacks" that are obviously a joke or from a non credible source.

Especially when the "new disease" has actually been around for years and years, but is just now getting social media attention so it's the Big New Thing. 
  • One of my Facebook friend (not a nurse but not a dumb person) posted this. I did reply with the snopes article link and the information that you COULD NOT get HIV this way as the virus would die in transit. 

If they want to spread lies without looking into something I will call them out. This one set me off too because of the way people were reacting like it was still 1980 and we knew nothing of how HIV/AIDS works. Hell I have the VICE episode on my DVR waiting to be watch about how doctors are using HIV to kill cancer. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • People not using common sense is... pretty common anymore. And the amount of people who find Google the most difficult thing in the world is BAFFLING to me. They seem to be multiplying. 

Ughhhhhhh no. 

• My mom, whom I love dearly and who is a very smart woman in many, many ways, falls for every one of these that hits her email inbox and then forwards it to me. I used to just ignore it but now I just reply with the Snopes link. She's not great with technology and I honestly think she doesn't understand that not everything you read on the Internet is credible.

I have a Facebook rule, though, where if you're on my friends list and you post more than one of these stupid things, you're hidden or removed (depending on whether I think your feelings would be hurt.) I don't need that crap raising my blood pressure.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh I ALWAYS comment with the Snopes article on shit like this. My dad is notorious for posting conspiracy theories about Obama (the one about Sharia law in the ACA, shit like that).

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I know how you feel. There are some people in my department that are so stupid, I don't know how they function. One of them thinks taking asprin will give you brain cancer....When V brought up midol has asprin in it, her direct quote " Uh, whatever!". And this person wants to be a teacher....
  • My mom is always sending some ridiculous political bullshit email.  One was about how the prime minister of Australia (president? Can't remember) said that Muslims weren't welcome and if they didn't like it they could leave. I just replied with a snopes link for that, but the same kind of shit keeps coming.  Now if my mom sends me a FW I just delete it without reading it.  Much better for my sanity.  It is almost always some sort of islamophobic bullshit or some made up crap about Obama. 

I also have this friend who is otherwise very articulate and seemingly smart, but she is totally the crunchy sort of science denyer.  You know, vaccinations contain mercury and are therefore poisonous.  She's all about oil pulling and believes it cures everything from acne to obesity.  She's paleo and doesn't get why it's not helping her lose weight, but it can't be the saturated fat that she's eating because doctors are all wrong about that. And oh god, the GMOs. It's magical thinking and I just don't get how a person that seems really smart in some ways can fall prey to it. 

She doesn't have a microwave because she's convinced the radiation from it is harmful.  I said that was like believing that tomatoes are harmful because they're related to hemlock.  She didn't like that. 
  • FiancB said:

My mom is always sending some ridiculous political bullshit email.  One was about how the prime minister of Australia (president? Can't remember) said that Muslims weren't welcome and if they didn't like it they could leave. I just replied with a snopes link for that, but the same kind of shit keeps coming.  Now if my mom sends me a FW I just delete it without reading it.  Much better for my sanity.  It is almost always some sort of islamophobic bullshit or some made up crap about Obama. 

I also have this friend who is otherwise very articulate and seemingly smart, but she is totally the crunchy sort of science denyer.  You know, vaccinations contain mercury and are therefore poisonous.  She's all about oil pulling and believes it cures everything from acne to obesity.  She's paleo and doesn't get why it's not helping her lose weight, but it can't be the saturated fat that she's eating because doctors are all wrong about that. And oh god, the GMOs. It's magical thinking and I just don't get how a person that seems really smart in some ways can fall prey to it. 

She doesn't have a microwave because she's convinced the radiation from it is harmful.  I said that was like believing that tomatoes are harmful because they're related to hemlock.  She didn't like that. 

Ugh my ex BF was the same about microwaves. Cancer runs in his family so he refused to ever use our microwave when we lived together because he was convinced it would increase his chances of getting said cancer.
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    So... usually when I see people post stupid stuff I just roll my eyes and move on, because I don't want to be That Person. 

But my friend from work posted a photo with the words "Your Stupid" written across it (meant for her ex, I think). And all these people were commenting with stuff like "Haha that's so funny!" I could not help myself. I decided to be That Person. 

I commented, "Is it funny because of the irony in a grammatically incorrect phrase claiming that someone else is stupid?" 
    Friend: "Oh, haha I didn't catch that?" Like, how? 
    Me: "Your is possessive so you're basically saying you own a thing named stupid. You ARE-- or 'You're' is claiming another person is in a state of being, so it would be you're stupid, because their state of being is that they are stupid." 

Sometimes I'm a rude asshole. And I don't care. 
  • These were comments on the HIV orange on my Facebook feed. 

I feel better now about my generation!

• So... usually when I see people post stupid stuff I just roll my eyes and move on, because I don't want to be That Person. 

But my friend from work posted a photo with the words "Your Stupid" written across it (meant for her ex, I think). And all these people were commenting with stuff like "Haha that's so funny!" I could not help myself. I decided to be That Person. 

I commented, "Is it funny because of the irony in a grammatically incorrect phrase claiming that someone else is stupid?" 
    Me: "Your is possessive so 
    My cousin posted some bullshit post about how a woman:
    Gets fat for her man
    Gets pregnant for her man
    Cooks for her man
    Cleans for her man
    Leaves her family for her man
    Takes her man's last name
    blah blah blah some other bullshit
    So the next time you want to disrespect a woman, remember all that she's done for you!

___

I couldn't fucking help myself. As I was typing, I felt like

But I couldn't stop. "I would do none of those things for a man, a woman or any person. Men should be appreciated just as much as women and this post makes it seem like women are property of men. I do those mentioned things because I want to. Not because someone thinks I should."

Her only comment was "I digress." 

• So... usually when I see people post stupid stuff I just roll my eyes and move on, because I don't want to be That Person. 

Me: "Your is possessive so 
    My cousin posted some bullshit post about how a woman:
    Gets fat for her man
    Gets pregnant for her man
    Cooks for her man
    Cleans for her man
    Leaves her family for her man
    Takes her man's last name
    blah blah blah some other bullshit
    So the next time you want to disrespect a woman, remember all that she's done for you!

___

I couldn't fucking help myself. As I was typing, I felt like

But I couldn't stop. "I would do none of those things for a man, a woman or any person. Men should be appreciated just as much as women and this post makes it seem like women are property of men. I do those mentioned things because I want to. Not because someone thinks I should."

Her only comment was "I digress." 

Lol first, awesome. Second, seems like she doesn't know what the word "digress" means. 
  • "I digress"?! LOL.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mikenberger you should follow up with a link to the dictionary definition of digress. 

I saw that too.  It rubbed me the wrong way.  I get what it's going for, but bleh. 
  • You guys. I was at the doctor's office the other day and overheard the following conversation:

Person 1: "I'm gonna go lay in the tanning bed for a little while later"
    Person 2: "That's so bad for your skin!"
    P1: "No it isn't dummy! It's just like laying in the sun!!"

Oh dear god. 

One of my friends shared the HIV oranges too. What an idiot. Every day I'm one step closer to deleting my Facebook. 
    Anniversary

• novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    I had this conversation with crazy Jessica from my office:

Jessica: "My son asked my boyfriend if he's Mexican. I had to explain how that's not a thing that's ok to say."
    Me: "What's not Ok about it?" 
    Jessica: "I explained to him that we say Latino instead." 
    Me: "Um... you know if someone is from Mexico, then they're Mexican, right? This is a fact. It's ok to say someone is Mexican if they're from Mexico, just like you can call someone French if they came here from France." 
    Jessica: "It's a very offensive word, though." 
    Me: "That attitude is what makes it offensive." 

Ugh. Just ugh. 
  • My other favorite is how my mom and sister will post a link to THE ONE SCIENTIST that says global warming isn't real. Obviously he is right and all the others are wrong. And there's no way he could possibly have ulterior motives for saying that. 
  • Guys I think those are blood oranges.

Also, I hate everyone. (Present company excepted).
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • lovegood90lovegood90 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2015

So... usually when I see people post stupid stuff I just roll my eyes and move on, because I don't want to be That Person. 

Me: "Your is possessive so you're basically saying you own a thing named stupid. You ARE-- or 'You're' is claiming another person is in a state of being, so it would be you're stupid, because their state of being is that they are stupid." 

I hope this is Jessica!

ETA: nevermind I just read the rest of the thread where you mention a Jessica story, haha!

Formerly martha1818

I hope this is Jessica!
    Bahaha! No, there's another nutty lady in my office. But she's nutty in a good, non-annoying, non-psychotic way. And apparently grammar is not her thing. 

See, my snarky editor ass would be like, "Your stupid what? What do you have that is stupid?"

Also, I've been looking for an excuse to share this picture: 

Because we've digressed to grammar already, this made me think of the Hyperbole and a Half post about the Alot. (clicky) Which just made me laugh really hard again when I searched for the link.
  • I had a friend post a "WHY THE AMISH DON'T HAVE AUTISM" article the other day.  Um, first of all, they do have autistic individuals in their community, and secondly, everything in that article is bullshit.  I almost lost it at another anti-vax article that another friend posted about how vaccines cause autism and tetanus isn't real, and it's bogus that you can get a vaccination after you might have been infected, blah blah blah. 

Peeps need to learn how to science. 

• You guys, I have people on my FB account that notoriously post articles from The Onion....because they think those articles are legit.

I have another girl on my FB that has some sort of weird fan club and she drives me crazy. One day she posted all about how she was skeptical about vaccination. At least she had a ton of people tell her she was nuts (and dangerous) at that point. But she's always been nuts, so meh.

Oh, and I have a cousin super into crazy conspiracy theories. He posts how he thinks rocks have consciousness and aliens put us on earth. That's always a delight.
  • Only somewhat related, I am friends with a bunch of relatives/old church ladies who keep re-posting this and it makes me want to barf/slap them every single time.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• You guys, I have people on my FB account that notoriously post articles from The Onion....because they think those articles are legit.

I have another girl on my FB that has some sort of weird fan club and she drives me crazy. One day she posted all about how she was skeptical about vaccination. At least she had a ton of people tell her she was nuts (and dangerous) at that point. But she's always been nuts, so meh.

Oh, and I have a cousin super into crazy conspiracy theories. He posts how he thinks rocks have consciousness and aliens put us on earth. That's always a delight.
    FI has a cousin who believes the Free Masons are evil and a satanist society. He posts stuff on it all the time.

• Only somewhat related, I am friends with a bunch of relatives/old church ladies who keep re-posting this and it makes me want to barf/slap them every single time.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Why are people like this real?
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards