Snarky Brides
Options

NWR: A snark on people that have moved.

I don't know if other people living in the Northeast or Midwest have experienced this. But I have quite a few friends and family members that have moved from NY to warmer climates. And pretty much all winter long, these people not only brag about their warm weather, but poke fun at us in NY experiencing winter. 

Case in point:

Making all you northerners jealous with my happy hour cocktail. (included with a pic of the beach)

Oh is it February? I didn't notice. ‪#‎LoveFL‬ ‪#‎lifeisgood‬

Sorry NY friends. I just had to:) te he he (included with a pic of the temp showing 90 degrees)

I am not jealous of these people. I would never leave NY. I love it here. Winter doesn't bother me. And I know many people feel the same way I do. I just don't understand their constant need to try to stick it to people they they assume are jealous of their life in another state. Oh, you poor assholes in the snow! I'm on the beach! Be jealous! It's just so obnoxious. And annoying. I've since hidden them from my newsfeed. But I really don't get it. That's cool that you love where you live. Enjoy it. Don't be a dickface. 

Re: NWR: A snark on people that have moved.

• Options
    Agree!
    If I hated snow that much, I would move too. But I'm where it's cold. I like sweaters. Rubbing it (it meaning warm weather) in my face is pointless. 

Next time, take a selfie on your couch with a warm blanket and (spiked) hot chocolate and say, "I love cozy days" or something to that effect. :)  

• Options
    I guess it all depends on who it is.   My brother's Godmother is on FB and lives in FL while her kids live in CT and OR.   She's also fun-loving so the posts of her cocktails and stuff are all in good fun.

But if I saw someone who constantly pulled the neener neener bit I'd be annoyed too.

Every area has SOMETHING.   Eventually it's going to be 125 degrees in Arizona and here in CT it will only be 85 at the beach.    You can't win 'em all and bragging about "your"weather is dumb.   When you can actually control it then I'll think you win.  (you -in general.   not you  @climbingwife)
  • Options
    I grew up in California (central valley) where we pretty much had 2 seasons... hot, and foggy.  I lived in Chicago for most of my 20s, and now here in Colorado.  I love having seasons, even if in the short term bad weather gets a little bit old (mainly because I have a long commute).  Some people don't understand that not everyone loves hot weather, or even warm weather.  I'm happiest when it's about 40-50 degrees and sunny.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Oh plus, if I lived in Florida or Arizona or something, I wouldn't get this bad ass view from my living and dining room.
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I could never live without seasons. Or mountains. I love to visit places. But NY will always be my home base. I don't want to live in warm weather all year 'round. 
  • Options

Agree.

It's like, yea, you moved there to get away from the cold.  What's your point?

Right now in the south because of all this snow, I'm getting a lot of annoying posts about how awful the snow is, constant updates, on the snow, please make it stop posts, and those, are RIDICULOUS. 

• Options
    Ugh, I hate that! Almost as much as I hate the people who have never experienced true winter and say they're jealous of our "pretty snow" and "sweater weather". During an earlier storm, I posted a picture of the snow still covering the roads after the first pass from the plows. One of my friends kept harping on how I should be thankful that I get to experience weather like that (because it's awful in Los Angeles, apparently). Even after I posted pictures of tree branches laying on the power lines and pointing out that people could die in this weather if/when the power went out, she was still insistent that we should be enjoying and embracing how "beautiful" winter is. Like, WTF??
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options
    Meh. Fuck 'em.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I grew up in California (central valley) where we pretty much had 2 seasons... hot, and foggy.  I lived in Chicago for most of my 20s, and now here in Colorado.  I love having seasons, even if in the short term bad weather gets a little bit old (mainly because I have a long commute).  Some people don't understand that not everyone loves hot weather, or even warm weather.  I'm happiest when it's about 40-50 degrees and sunny.
    I top out at 85 degrees. And that's only if there's barely any humidty. 70's is perfect. 
    Seriously, being hot is so uncomfortable! I get crabby, I get headaches, and I hate feeling sweaty and I hate when my hair frizzes. 
    We recently took a weekend getaway to a beach and it was no warmer than 80 and it was fantastic. But that's the sweet spot. You get about 4 days of that where I live and the rest of the time it's too hot and/or too humid.

But you can always put on another sweater when it's cold! 

• Options

I top out at 85 degrees. And that's only if there's barely any humidty. 70's is perfect. 
    Seriously, being hot is so uncomfortable! I get crabby, I get headaches, and I hate feeling sweaty and I hate when my hair frizzes. 
    We recently took a weekend getaway to a beach and it was no warmer than 80 and it was fantastic. But that's the sweet spot. You get about 4 days of that where I live and the rest of the time it's too hot and/or too humid.

How many sweaters should I put on when it's -20* and the power/heat is out? Brrr....
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

Yup, me and heat do not get along, especially since I hate wearing tank tops and shorts.  Unfortunately FI's annual family get together is at a country music festival in June in Grand Junction, CO.  We stay in campers.  I made sure our camper has an air conditioner and a good generator that can run it .  But yeah, it's so hot out there...95-100 degrees and I dread going every year, but FI loves it so I just deal.  
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I dunno.

I'm born and raised in Southern California, and I do occasionally post screen shots of my weather forecast if it's awesome in dead of winter. Mainly because I'm excited. Most of my friends are in CA too, with just a few in snow-ridden states, so it's not even a jealousy thing, but I guess it is still kind of a bragging thing? It's all in good fun though. I mean, could your same sentiment be said about any photo of something happy/exciting?

I also occasionally post screenshots of reservation emails and menus (although, oddly, pretty much never any actual food).

*shrugs* I can't really imagine any of this stuff be block-worthy unless it's just an extreme amount of posting.
  • Options
    Well, to be completely honest, a lot of Facebook is bragging. Shit, I do it too. I'll post pics of great weather all the time. What annoys me are people that moved from NY to places like Florida that try to stick it to the people still living up here. And it happens with 3 particular people extremely often. "Heard you guys are getting more snow. HAHA! Loving the weather in Florida!" 

It's great to love where you live. I love seeing pictures of people's vacations, especially at this time of year. I really do like it. I know some people go on Facebook and get depressed by other people's happy posts. I'm totally not one of those people. What irks me is this attitude of, "I moved to something better and you all must be so jealous so I'm going to rub it in your faces." Yeah, not necessary. 
  • Options
    I can see your point in the "Haha your weather sucks!", because that's not even happy, that's just mean.

It's like if you're wearing a fantastic outfit and instead of saying "damn don't I look hot?" You just say "you look like shit."
  • Options

I can see your point in the "Haha your weather sucks!", because that's not even happy, that's just mean.

It's like if you're wearing a fantastic outfit and instead of saying "damn don't I look hot?" You just say "you look like shit."

Exactly. Post as many pics as you like of your great view and the beach and your pool. Wonderful! No need to be an asshole. I'm not here hating my life in NY. And if I was, why rub it in purposely to people?
  • Options
    I live in MA and wow this has been a rough winter (first time homeowner too) and I really don't like the cold. But I would never move because 8-9 months out of the year it is really nice! (And makes you appreciate the nice weather soooo much more!)

I love seeing pictures on FB of my friends and family traveling or where they live. Sometimes it's super nice weather when it's terrible here and I do get a little jealous!

BUTTTTT I haven't had anyone taunt me on FB. SO RUDE! Like don't they have better things going on and more on their mine then "I wonder what is going on where I used to live!"

Anniversary
  • Options

I live in MA and wow this has been a rough winter (first time homeowner too) and I really don't like the cold. But I would never move because 8-9 months out of the year it is really nice! (And makes you appreciate the nice weather soooo much more!)

I love seeing pictures on FB of my friends and family traveling or where they live. Sometimes it's super nice weather when it's terrible here and I do get a little jealous!

BUTTTTT I haven't had anyone taunt me on FB. SO RUDE! Like don't they have better things going on and more on their mine then "I wonder what is going on where I used to live!"
    Yes yes yes. I've actually seen someone screenshot the weather in the town they use to live in to poke fun. "Look how cold it is where I used to live! You guys must be miserable!" 
  • Options
    I admit that I will post pictures while at the beach or enjoying my day in the nice weather, but I try to be very mindful of bragging like this. Also, having grown up in NY and moved to a warmer climate, I actually miss the seasons! FI and I LOVE it when it rains or we get a thunderstorm here, because it happens so infrequently. I wanted to drive to the mountains last weekend because they got snow and I haven't seen it for a while! I would love to move back to NY given the chance, but the job opportunities don't exist for us there. 

I only really compare weather when I am asked privately by relatives or friends in NY what the weather is like out here, and then they tell me what it's like back there. But I have seen others do this, and it annoys me too. 

• Options
    It's annoying. I have a friend that moved to NW Arkansas, which is significantly nicer on weather than where we are...

All FUCKING winter: 
    "I'm so glad I moved here!" "This is a winter I can enjoy!" "I can't imagine ever moving North again!" 

This was after she spent all last winter BITCHING about how much she hated winter and hated snow and hated driving in snow and hated cold. I suppose it's a little bit of my fault because I told her "You can move. You are not a tree." so then she moved to NW Arkansas and won't f'n shut up about it. 

I love the seasons though, I must agree. I can't imagine living anywhere else. We thought about moving to AZ but there's NO way I could deal with the extreme summers.

• Options
    I used to live in Ontario and I hated it. I hated the snow and freezing cold in the winter. I hated the heat and humidity in the summer. So I moved to the west coast to get away from it. I never post about the weather on FB but I do giggle to myself or roll my eyes when my FB friends are complaining all.the.time about the snow and cold.

Anniversary
  • Options
    See I get the opposite of this. DH and I moved from VA to WI after we got married. We both constantly get bombarded with pics of what it's like back east, all referencing how badly they feel for us stuck up here in the cold. Except we aren't stuck here - we moved here on purpose. It's annoying - especially since we've been here going on 2 years, and we still get these messages at least once a week...
  • Options

I don't really have anyone posting about how much better their weather is than mine... unless they're on vacation, of course.

My main peeve in this area is people who feel like they need to post the current temperature and complain about it.  Oh my GOSH, how EVER would I have KNOWN what the TEMPERATURE WAS if you hadn't POSTED IT ON FACEBOOK????!?!?!!  I LITERALLY have no way of checking it myself!!!

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Options
    My MIL will call me and say, "Oh my god, it's so cold in Florida right now. It's going down to 55 tonight!" I think once you move down there, your blood thins and you forget what real cold is like. 

I'm totally with you, Larry. Winter is great. Hiking in the snow is so much fun. So is skiing. But it's not for everyone I guess, which is why so many people leave NY for warmer states. And that's cool. I just don't get why they assume everyone is like them. When my friend posted a pic of it being 90 degrees, that to me sounded miserable. And she's in freaking Thailand. It's probably muggy as hell! 
  • Options

My MIL will call me and say, "Oh my god, it's so cold in Florida right now. It's going down to 55 tonight!" I think once you move down there, your blood thins and you forget what real cold is like. 

I'm totally with you, Larry. Winter is great. Hiking in the snow is so much fun. So is skiing. But it's not for everyone I guess, which is why so many people leave NY for warmer states. And that's cool. I just don't get why they assume everyone is like them. When my friend posted a pic of it being 90 degrees, that to me sounded miserable. And she's in freaking Thailand. It's probably muggy as hell! 
    My mom moved to Florida four years ago, she came back for my bridal shower (I'm in the midwest- where she was born and raised) and it was averaging 10-15 degrees for a high... man. You would've thought I made her put on shorts and jump in a lake at -20 outside. "It's just so cold! I don't know how I did it for so many years..." She's definitely suffering from the thinned blood phenomena. And now she's talking about moving back here in the Summer, which it averages 80-85 in the summer (it does get over 100 in August), so hopefully she can transition back into thicker blood. Or I'm in for a long winter.

• Options
    So, I love winter, and try not to complain about it too much, especially on social media.

But my pet peeve is people who used to live where it's cold, moved elsewhere, and then think it's the height of sophisticated coolness to post on FB making fun of all their old friends who have been complaining about the cold, as a certain friend of mine does. Like, "Holy shit, news flash: It's cold in the winter in Wisconsin! It'll probably be cold tomorrow, too!"

I don't love constant complaining about cold weather (or hot weather, for that matter), but if you moved to where it never gets below 40 degrees, you do not get to judge anymore. When it's -20 without the windchill (which it has been back home), people are allowed to complain. When your bones have not felt that chill in years, you don't get to mock them publicly.

I do get annoyed when it's constant bitching about snow/ice--that is annoying, and people should totally stop. But seeing this girl call people out from her perch in the pacific northwest pissed me right off. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards