Chit Chat

The NEW TheKnot.com is launching - Tonight!

Re: The NEW TheKnot.com is launching - Tonight!

• Oh! Maybe we can "favorite" some forums, that way they can be right on the main page with the most recent discussion? I'd love that! I have a few forums that I like keeping an eye on and it would be great to have them all in one place!
  • @JennyColada The current community homepage is actually just the "beta" of what the homepage will ultimately look like. I'll be able to update you all more on the next steps for the homepage, and get all of your input before it launches, but we want to work out any bugs that are currently happening, before starting to really work on the newest version of the homepage. Ideally though, we want to create a new, really personalized homepage, where you can favorite boards just like you said!
  • Get out of my head @KnotRiley ! ;)
  • Are they actively trying to keep us from using forums via mobile? Terrible UX.

• Hey @lolo883,

What issues are you experiencing? Tech is working on the log in issue so when you log in while in the community, it doesn't redirect you back to the homepage, but can you let me know what other problems you're having? And what device/browser you're using?

Thanks!
  • KnotRiley said:

Hey @lolo883,

What issues are you experiencing? Tech is working on the log in issue so when you log in while in the community, it doesn't redirect you back to the homepage, but can you let me know what other problems you're having? And what device/browser you're using?

Thanks!
    @knotriley the redirect is the biggest issue, and then once redirected I can't even find a link back to community at all (unless I'm totally dumb, which is a possibility). It's also harder to find the log in link at all - it used to be at the bottom of the page, but now I can only find it in the hamburger nav. That extra click is kind of obnoxious. The log out thing is still happening too, and seems worse than before... I can only view about 2-3 pages before I have to log in again. Clicking the back button logs me out every time. 

Browser: Chrome 40
    Device: HTC One

• I've also noticed that, on mobile, when you're on the 2,3,4,etc page of a topic, that there is no link back to the forum. So to go back to CC from here I have to go to the main Wedding Forums page and then go to CC. It was like this in the previous version too. But it would be nice to just have a link to the forum be on every page of a topic.
  • @KnotRiley:

It would be really great if this was even vaguely functional on Safari. Still completely unable to post or reply on  I Pad.

All I want is a reply box that isn't completely blocked by the stupid follow us banner. I don't agree this was made with "heart." I do not heart this.

• Oh yeah while we're on the topic of tablets... I've never been able to post from my Kindle Fire. Tapping in the text box doesn't pull up the keyboard the way it should. For whatever reason, Kindle/Silk doesn't recognize it as an input box.

• @lolo883 I know they're still working on a fix for the log out issue, but I'm going to continue getting on their case about that ;) and there should be a link back to the community in the hamburger nav (you have to scroll down a bit). But if you're not seeing it then this could be an android issue, and I'll make sure tech looks into it!

@ohannabelle I'm really, really sorry about the iPad issue. I've spoken with tech and they are working on it but it's taking a little longer than anticipated. I should have a better estimate on Monday.

@JennyColada I'll talk to tech about putting putting a link in for that!
  • KnotRiley said:

Hey @lolo883,

Thanks!
    @knotriley the redirect is the biggest issue, and then once redirected I can't even find a link back to community at all (unless I'm totally dumb, which is a possibility). It's also harder to find the log in link at all - it used to be at the bottom of the page, but now I can only find it in the hamburger nav. That extra click is kind of obnoxious. The log out thing is still happening too, and seems worse than before... I can only view about 2-3 pages before I have to log in again. Clicking the back button logs me out every time. 

-------

I use Chrome on an iphone and the community link is in the menu. It's difficult to find (would love it in a more prominent spot!). It's almost exactly half way down the menu in the list of items that are not in all caps.
  • KnotRiley said:

Hey @lolo883,

Thanks!

-------

I use Chrome on an iphone and the community link is in the menu. It's difficult to find (would love it in a more prominent spot!). It's almost exactly half way down the menu in the list of items that are not in all caps.
    Ahhhhh yes I see it now. I blame pregnancy brain. But also, it shouldn't be categorized/alphabetized in with those other items. It should be its own category, listed with the capitalized ones.

• ...anybody else seeing the "New here? Read this first!" link at the top of every page?

Has anyone gotten it to do anything other than take you to the page you're on? I assume it's supposed to go to the TOS but so far al it's done is open the same page I'm on, no matter what board, member page, or discussion.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • ...anybody else seeing the "New here? Read this first!" link at the top of every page?

Has anyone gotten it to do anything other than take you to the page you're on? I assume it's supposed to go to the TOS but so far al it's done is open the same page I'm on, no matter what board, member page, or discussion.

I noticed it, and just tried to click on it earlier, and also just got a page reload! I wondered if it was a warning about knasty knotties. ;)

• edited March 2015

...anybody else seeing the "New here? Read this first!" link at the top of every page?

I noticed it, and just tried to click on it earlier, and also just got a page reload! I wondered if it was a warning about knasty knotties. ;)
    ...that was my first thought too, but the TOS makes... as much sense....? XD
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • SCbride007SCbride007 member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2015
    So still can't change avatar? Can't find my way around the site without just going to Chit Chat in my bookmarks. Quote boxes still don't work. This was a great plan clearly. 

ETA-Apparently username changes don't work either. 
  • So still can't change avatar? Can't find my way around the site without just going to Chit Chat in my bookmarks. Quote boxes still don't work. This was a great plan clearly. 

ETA-Apparently username changes don't work either. 
    Avatar changes are coming after some bigger things get worked on. Might be a while.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• I, too, am having logout issues. Like someone else said before it feels worse than it was before the update. Couple pages in a thread it logs me out. Seems like after I reply to something I get logged out. And it's more annoying now because the sign in button is gone from the bottom of the page and I have to scroll back up to the top and then trace my steps back to where I was.
    Using Safari on iPhone.
    Anniversary

• I tried to Knot from mobile last night, for the first time since the update. I'm also having problems with the bottom banner covering the reply box. Very uncool. I kinda feel like TK is actively trying to keep me off the forums. :(

With the previous update (May '14) mobile reply functionality went out the window for a lot of us, with our keyboards either closing before we could type anything or just not opening at all. Some clever Knottie discovered that we could bring our keyboards up and have them STAY up by using the "Show Source" button. I don't know if it affected other users, but it made typing an incredibly slow process for me. A minor annoyance to most, I'm sure, but at the time I had no other connection - I didn't HAVE the option of just hopping on a computer quickly to post.

I posted repeatedly about it both in CC and the Tech board, as did many others, and nothing happened, but at least there was a workaround for that bug. Now we have this banner issue, which seems to be affecting even more users, and DOESN'T have a workaround.

I don't hold much hope for this bug being fixed either, but here are my device details anyway:
    Device: Asus Fonepad
    Browser: Google Chrome

I have also tried to view the site on the phone's default browser (whatever it is, can't seem to find details) and it is an even bigger cluster. If I manage to get a screenshot of it, I'll post it here. It's a huge jumble of text, graphics, and big blue blocks, not to mention the oh-so-charming reminder to get the apps which only load halfway across the screen, from the right, thus preventing any attempt to close said reminder. I understand that TK is a business, but it would be really nice if there was a "Don't show this again" option on the app-reminder, or some other way of preventing it from showing up.

TK has done what many, many forums and social media sites fail to do - build and hold an audience. The button at the top of the page isn't just a word, we actually ARE a community. A lot of us aren't planning any more, for whatever reason, but we don't want to leave the community. We WANT to be here!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • I promise we're not actively trying to keep anyone from posting! 

Our engineers are working on a long term fix for the issues you all are experiencing (especially with the footer covering the text box) but we're also trying to look into a quick fix in the meantime.

I really appreciate all the feedback you all have been giving me, I've been relaying it all to tech and they are trying to get this all fixed as soon as they can.

Please let me know if there's anything else that needs to be fixed. My hope is to get through these fixes quickly so we can work more on improving other things that have been broken for forever (like the quote boxes and paragraphs).

Thanks all!
  • edited March 2015
    @KnotRiley another issue I am seeing is pictured below.

Browser: Safari v. 8.0.3
    Device: 13' Macbook Pro

My browser is stretched all the way out and the "My Knot" category is being cropped on every page (Not just in community). 

I am also finding the general navigation through the Community section of the site to be super confusing. It's not intuitive at all, and I am really missing the old space with all the boards right on the community homepage. Also, where the the links to the "Wedding Date" and "Local Board"? I see the dropdown on the front part of Community, but in the old version "mine" were just right up at the top of the "all boards" box. *I know you said it's in beta, so just wanted to chime in with some things that might need fixing :)

ETA: Clarification
  • Hi All!

Just wanted to let you know tech has made an update to the footer so you shouldn't experience issues with it covering the text box. If you're still experiencing issues please let me know!

Thanks!

@abcdevonn Thank you for this! I'll let tech know and send them that screenshot.

Just a heads up, on the community homepage you should see two drop downs, one says "Local Wedding Boards" and the other "Wedding club boards" you should be able to find all of the date and local boards there! (If you're not seeing that on the community's homepage please let me know!)

Thanks!
  • KnotRiley said:

Hi All!

Just wanted to let you know tech has made an update to the footer so you shouldn't experience issues with it covering the text box. If you're still experiencing issues please let me know!

Thanks!

@abcdevonn Thank you for this! I'll let tech know and send them that screenshot.

Just a heads up, on the community homepage you should see two drop downs, one says "Local Wedding Boards" and the other "Wedding club boards" you should be able to find all of the date and local boards there! (If you're not seeing that on the community's homepage please let me know!)

Thanks!
    No prob--I work for a web development company so I totally understand what you're all going through! Post-launch is HELL sometimes!! 

I actually did see the dropdowns, just wondering if there is a new place where user-specific boards now live. For example, in the old Community section, above the box containing all boards, there was an area for "My Boards" which included local and wedding club. Mine looked like "My Boards: Southern New Jersey | October 2016." ---that's what I am referring to. I'm not saying I am absolutely lost without them, just curious if the "My Boards" moved, or if they were nixed. 

Apologies for re-opening this thread :3
  • @abcdevonn No worries! At the moment that feature had to be taken down, but it will come back! We're also hoping to have "favorite boards" where you can favorite a particular board and it will show up with the rest of your quick links.
  • Why is logging in such a pain in the ass now? of you were on mobile on the old site, there was actually a login button or you could hit reply, login and it would take right back to your post. Now, you get randomly logged out, and when you do login it takes you to some stupid main page and you have to go through several layers and try to find the post you were responding to.

• When I was looking for pictures of certain coloured wedding parties on Google, there was an image from TK that was apparently from Jonathan and Sarah's wedding, so I clicked on it and it sent me to a thing saying how to submit photos of my own wedding to TK.  So then I clicked on "Real Weddings" and tried searching in there and just gave up.  Before the change, it used to take me to a page where it had pictures and stuff from the wedding that I had clicked on.  
  • I dream of a day when I'll be typing up an awesome reply to someone on mobile, and NOT get the little popup that says "you don't have permission to do that" when it's illogically logged me out.

• I dream of a day when I'll be typing up an awesome reply to someone on mobile, and NOT get the little popup that says "you don't have permission to do that" when it's illogically logged me out.

Yea I got that yesterday.

How/why it logs you out when you are actively reading the page I have no idea.

It's extra frustrating because it takes about 5 clicks to get right back to the same page that I was on "pre-log-out" (when previously it was 2).
  • I just had to log in on my laptop. I've always checked the "keep me logged in" button when using my laptop, but when I logged in this time on the new site, there was no such button.  Great, I hope this whole logging out thing is not a big deal on the desktop version too.  You would think TK would want us to stay logged in. There have been multiple times (mostly on my phone) where I've wanted to post, but then saw I wasn't logged in and just haven't felt like going through all the steps to get logged in.

Just a little bit ago, I was on my phone browsing, posted once and then went and checked a couple of my social media apps.  I went back to my browser and the page refreshed and, of course, logged me out.  I saw that and decided I did not want the bother and annoyance of going through all the log in steps (and getting kicked to the main page instead of back to the thread I was in!), and decided I wasn't going to bother with messing around on TK right then.

All these log in issues are just hurting TK's community.  If they want people to stay and use the site and not get frustrated and use the site less, they need to make it as easy as possible to post and use the community.  Auto-logins are a big help.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards