Not Engaged Yet

HUMP DAY

Re: HUMP DAY

• @nycgal85 Dat castle though...

@southernpeach89 Dang! I really hope they turn up soon!

@speakeasy14 I'm so glad you guys finally have a diagnosis! That's great news!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • THE FACT CHALLENGE IS UP!

Other than that, I feel boring today. I'm working from home so I can really bust some work out. It's so hard when people pop into my cubicle all day long to ask me questions, and I'm falling behind.

Buuuut, I bought tickets to see Eddie Izzard! His show in Portland sold out immediately, but they added a second show and I think people forgot what the sale start time was because I scored! Now if only ticket prices weren't actually ticket prices + 25% fees, I'd feel a lot better about the whole thing.

• @nycgal85 - I loooove the castle! Fingers crossed it is surprisingly less expensive than you anticipate? FI and I looked at a bunch of venues in the Hudson Valley, and I may even have a google doc with notes on them someplace.... if I find it, I'll PM you!

I know, well the caterer is actually very reasonable, or it seems to be. It's a restaurant on the UWS that FI and I actually went to for Valentine's Day last year! Apparently their sit down/buffet catering menu starts at $25pp, but that doesn't include beverages. It's still in the running so we shall see. It's also literally 4 blocks from our house!! I see it on my walk to the train every day! LOL. 

FSIL is obsessed with the castle. I really hope I hear back from them, I emailed them again this morning asking if we could look at it this weekend.

Definitely let me know if you find the notes on all the venues. We liked Westchester Mag's where to wed spreadsheet. That's how we found Dutchess Manor months ago.
  • @Hummingbird125 - Yay invitations! I can't wait to see how they turned out!

@lavenderfields13 - Ugh, that's so annoying. Definitely get them weighed at another post office. I was super irritated when I got ours weighed and they didn't bother to tell me that we would need extra postage for them to be hand sorted/canceled. We were lucky that the guy was nice when they were taken in all ready to go and he said he would just do it.

@Swazzle - I hope you're actually dancing like that. For real.

@southernpeach89 - UGH! I've done that a few times and it's so irritating; I hope you find it soon :( My current issue is that our new car has keyless entry, so I just keep the fob in my purse...but it means I've forgotten to lock the car a few times when I'm getting out!

@labro - Montreal is fun and Ottawa is really pretty in the summer! FI and I are debating going to Montreal for a music festival this summer actually, I'm hoping we can make it work. And OMG I need that book!

I think @eilis1228just needs to make a whole bunch of chicken pot pies and send them out to all of us. Preferably before dinner time tonight. Get cracking lady!

I also keep thinking it's Thursday, and am sad every time I realize it isn't. It's all grey and dreary here, and I want to go back to bed! On the plus side we were supposed to get freezing rain this morning and that didn't happen. It's still supposed to rain today, but hopefully it wont be as nasty now that it's a touch warmer.

Tonight I'm hopefully going for a dress fitting. I have one tentatively scheduled, but haven't been able to confirm yet. And we have 52 people coming to our wedding so far! We've gotten about 1/3 of the RSVPs back within just a couple weeks, so I'm pleased about that.

Work is slowing killing me. My department has too much to do and we aren't getting any help, it's ridiculous. Plus I'm away for 2 1/2 weeks in May and then someone else is going on mat leave in June. I feel like no matter what we do we just can't get ahead and I'm sort of at the end of my rope here. Blah.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sorry I've read everyone's post but don't have much time to reply to everyone individually today.  Work has been so hetic since I got back from vacation.  I'm also in a bad mood with some negative news I got this morning.  I'm just ready for 5pm and the work day to be over. I'd preferably take Friday at 5pm but I'll settle for Wednesday.

Anniversary

• We get to tour the castle on Friday evening (they only do tours M-F until 5:30)!!! I just heard back from them!
  • @eilis1228 - I have been watching the weather and it's been upgraded to a 4 out of 5 and now they are talking golfball-sized hail at rush hour and more chance of tornadoes, of course in my area.  Ah!  Glad I am off at 4:00 and not 5:00, so I won't get caught up in it. 
  • @lmcooper86 I keep seeing people talk about hand sorting/cancelling but I honestly don't understand it. Can I not just get the stamps and drop them in the mailbox like regular mail? I'm so confused.

@peaseblossom55 I hope your day goes by quickly, sorry you got some bad news :(

• AlPacina said:

Buuuut, I bought tickets to see Eddie Izzard! His show in Portland sold out immediately, but they added a second show and I think people forgot what the sale start time was because I scored! Now if only ticket prices weren't actually ticket prices + 25% fees, I'd feel a lot better about the whole thing.

That is the WORST. I bought two sets of Taylor Swift tickets for her upcoming tour and I feel like her tickets wouldn't have been as expensive if those fees weren't tacked on. What are they even for??
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

@lmcooper86 I'm so ridiculously excited over this book! I started reading it last night.

@AlPacina I'm super jealous of your Eddie Izzard tickets! You are going to have SO MUCH FUN!!!

• @jenjen047 - Fellow Bostonian here! I've met a few of these ladies on here IRL and it was awesome! It actually popped up on my TimeHop yesterday! It was @GoldenPenguin, @CSousa and some girls who I don't think frequent the boards anymore. 

@nycgal85- The Castle looks amazing! So pretty. So glad you get to tour it!

@speakeasy14 - Those ideas for your BF's b-day sound amazing! I'm sure he'll love it! 
    friends tv show funy
  • Buuuut, I bought tickets to see Eddie Izzard! His show in Portland sold out immediately, but they added a second show and I think people forgot what the sale start time was because I scored! Now if only ticket prices weren't actually ticket prices + 25% fees, I'd feel a lot better about the whole thing.
    That is the WORST. I bought two sets of Taylor Swift tickets for her upcoming tour and I feel like her tickets wouldn't have been as expensive if those fees weren't tacked on. What are they even for??
    Charity, obviously.

• @lmcooper86 I keep seeing people talk about hand sorting/cancelling but I honestly don't understand it. Can I not just get the stamps and drop them in the mailbox like regular mail? I'm so confused.

@peaseblossom55 I hope your day goes by quickly, sorry you got some bad news :(

It depends on the invitation and/or what you want.

Most mail/stamps are cancelled by being run though a machine; that's what leaves the ink on the envelope and stamp to cancel it. Envelopes that are bulky or too thick to fit though the machine have to be canceled by hand. This was the case for our invitations, the ribbon knot made them sort of lumpy (for lack of a better word) and the post office wasn't sure if they would go through the machine smoothly.

If your envelopes are a normal size and aren't super thick or bulky, just flat, then you can just get the stamps you need (once the post office actually tells you how much postage they need...so lame) and drop them all in the mail.

I also wanted mine to be hand cancelled because it often looks nicer, and you don't run the risk of envelopes being damaged in the machine. That last one is probably me (and many many other people) being paranoid, because how often does that actually happen? But I was feeling crazy-ish about it.

So yeah. That's the deal on hand sorting/hand cancelling mail.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @twodimes @labro @nycgal85 thanks for recipe help!!

@speakeasy14 - love the bday idea!!

@caseface5 - yay for boston! maybe we will have to organize a boston NEY meeting!

@nycgal85 - CASTLE!! OMG! BF is from ireland and we have discussed a wedding over there and i said if im getting married in europe you better believe it will be in a GD castle.
  • labrolabro member

@lmcooper86 I did the same thing with my invitations. They were a little bit heavy (I had to use the $0.71 stamps for them) but they weren't especially bulky so I could've had them run through the machine, but they were so pretty! I didn't want them to be ruined with machine tracks and junk so I requested to hand cancel them all. I had to do it myself though. The post office won't do it for you. They give you a stamp and you have to go stand off by yourself to take care of it.

• labrolabro member
    @KeptInStitches I can't believe how close you are!!! Are you all done with RSVPs? What do you have left?

• @lmcooper86 thank you for clarifying. I thought people only did it for the look of it. My invites aren't bulky so they should be fine. I was thinking of doing it when I heard of it so that they would look nicer and not get damaged but I read they go through many more machines before they reach their destination so there's still a risk. I'm lazy so I'll just drop them in the mail lol.

My mom did tell me a story about her invites. She invited a coworker who did not RSVP. I don't know when my mom followed up with her but the lady was like oh I thought I wasn't invited since I never received an invitation in the mail. Months later my mom got the invitation returned int the mail and it was practically torn apart! Just this one random invite. You never know what's going to happen!

• Morning all!

My dress fit last night!! My mom and I also got a hat for me to wear as my headpiece - it was nicer than anything we could have made. The alterations lady asked if I've lost weight, so my job now is to stay exactly the same for the next month.

The only other news I have is that I get married exactly one month from today!
    one month! so exciting!!

• @labro, we've gotten about 60% of the RSVPs back. We're meeting with the venue tomorrow night to set final menu choices, and I'm working on pew bows and bouts with my mom and place cards on my own. I think that's about it (she said delusionally).
  • @Hummingbird125 - I woke up yesterday thinking it was Wednesday and was so sad when I realized it was only Tuesday. And now it's thrown off my whole week! Also, I'm so excited to see you AW your invites!

@eilis1228 - The weather sucks today here too but I had to come in to work. I'm very jealous of your hermit/pajama day.

@lavenderfields13 - You will look beautiful on your wedding day no matter what! Positive self-talk lady, I know it's cheesy but I really think it helps!

@swazzle - You are the bridal shower queen lately! Have fun this weekend.

@labro - Let me know how that book is! I read all the Little House on the Prairie books when I was younger, I loved them!

@nycgal85 - Good luck with the venue tour :) Please come AW if you decide on one!

@speakeasy14 - I'm so glad your mom finally got an answer! I hope she starts feeling better ASAP!

-------------------------------------------------------

I'm working in downtown Denver today and probably the rest of the week. Everyone who is supposed to work at this branch is sick, on vacation, or covering our Littleton branch (because they stupidly fired someone right before a few of their employees were scheduled to go on vacation making them short-staffed for the next few weeks). And it's snowing. I'm not happy about it, I want warm weather!!

• labrolabro member
    @bethsmiles I've probably only read 20 or 30 pages (the forward and most of the introduction lol) and I LOVE IT! It's basically her story, not edited by her daughter, with no extra fluff and all the real harsh reality of her life growing up. It's fascinating! It's all from her original manuscript that the Little House books were written from.

• @peaseblossom55 some hugs if you need em!  I hope your day ends up going smoothly after your bad news!

@keptinstitches ONE MONTH?!  That's so exciting!

Today, I stayed at home (it's spring break, but I was supposed to visit my sister to help her make wedding bouquets) so that H has a reliable ride to and from work since his car is having issues.  We are going to test drive some cars tonight and hope to trade in his car and buy a car this weekend or so.  It'll be our first car purchase together, awww lol. 

So I was trying to power wash our lanai, but couldn't get the engine to turn over soooo I might have to have H fix that when he gets home.  So for now I'm just watching once upon a time on netflix.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • labro said:

@bethsmiles I've probably only read 20 or 30 pages (the forward and most of the introduction lol) and I LOVE IT! It's basically her story, not edited by her daughter, with no extra fluff and all the real harsh reality of her life growing up. It's fascinating! It's all from her original manuscript that the Little House books were written from.

I'm pretty sure I need this book.

• sorry i think i missed a comment here.....what is this book @bethsmiles and @labro are loving??

i just met BF for lunch and he said he is going up the street to do some shopping for a couple hours before he goes to work tonight. "up the street" happens to be where the jewelry store we ring shopped at last week is located, so of course the thought crossed my mind that hes going to talk to the jeweler more or even make a purchase. granted, there are plenty of other stores in that same area (tj maxx, h&m, macys, etc) so its completely possible that hes literally just going to do some shopping. either way i need to banish these thoughts from my mind in 3...2...1...done! :)
  • labro said:

I'm pretty sure I need this book.
    Ugh its sold out on Amazon, so its in my wishlist.
  • @speakeasy14 - Lots of good thoughts and prayers for your mom <3

@nycgal85 - I hope the castle is more budget-friendly than you expect! That would be very cool.

@labro - I actually re-read the Little House books a couple years ago when I was home sick for a few days lol let me know how that book is, I will most likely go looking for it!

@KeptInStitches - ONE MONTH! I'm glad your dress fits, don't stress about staying the exact same size, you'll be fine!

@lavenderfields13 - It's usually for the look. I was planning on getting them hand cancelled before we added the ribbon anyways, because I don't like how the machine cancelling from Canada Post looks...it usually has all these weird slanty lines all across the top, and I felt really picky about that!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @Blue thanks, things will be better tomorrow!

Anniversary

• labrolabro member

@lmcooper86 @speakeasy14 I waited for over 3 months from the point of ordering this book for it to get delivered. I definitely placed the order sometime in December and it was at that point I think they officially sold out so I was in a holding pattern until recently. #worththewait

@jenjen047 I posted a picture of it in my first post. It's Pioneer Girl, the annotated autobiography of Laura Ingalls Wilder aka the best book ever plus my childhood all in one beautiful hardcover

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards