Getting in Shape

20 miles a week until wedding? Who's in?

Re: 20 miles a week until wedding? Who's in?

• You can have some of my snow. We now have more than 80 inches (that's over 6 1/2 feet!). My running routes won't be clear until late April, and it's very unlikely that I'll be able to do 20 miles per week until then.

However, I'm LOVING snowshoeing, and I've been reading a lot of fitness articles about it. Although you cover far fewer miles on snowshoes, minute-for-minute it's an equivalent (or even better) workout compared with running in terms of cardiovascular fitness and calorie burning. And when you're snowshoeing through deep powder (which is what we've got tons of right now in New England), the workout is even better! So I snowshoed three times this past week for 60 min x1 and 2-3 hours x2, and I think that's pretty good even though it was probably only about 12 miles total distance.

Anyone who's curious, see below:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/winter-x-training-snowshoes
    http://snowshoes.com/learn/article/fitness-benefits-of-snowshoeing
    Way to use the snow to your advantage! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I love your wedding stress breakdown chart! I think I had the Melt Down this weekend....

But I had 28 miles this week...2 of them today and were up hills in San Francisco.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wrapped up the week with only 12 miles. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a bad week, for many reasons that I won't go into...

7.5 miles in one trip on snowshoes up a mountain and back down.

The good news is that the weather seems to have turned a corner and maybe, just maybe, my running routes will clear up this week so I can start packing in the miles again.

I like the wedding stress chart too. I think I'm on the downslope between "DI-Why?" and mailing invitations. The planner at my venue and caterer keep asking me questions that I really don't care about, like whether I want ivory or white tablecloths... I guess I'm feeling pretty chill :)
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    Good Morning...had 23.5. We had our engagement party Saturday night and I am sure that I did more damage with the champagne than I did good with the walking this past week!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm new, but I'm in from here on out :)
  • I'm so excited that Spring is finally showing up here!  I plan on starting to ride my bicycle to work next week, so that should give me 40 miles roundtrip on a weekly basis :)  Just over 3 months until our wedding, so that would be over 500 miles if I can manage it.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • 18.4 miles this week, which is the closest to 20 I've been since we started this! I did two long snowshoe hikes over the weekend so that's how I managed.

@WildMagelet oh I'm so jealous! I wish I could start biking to work, but with 7 ft of snow in Boston my bike paths won't be clear for a while... My bike commute is 6 miles each way, which is 60 miles per week. Wow, I never added that up before :)
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    had 24 this week....made myself a promise that I am going to get out and walk everyday at lunch. I feel so bad that people are having such yucky weather back east that I feel guilty not being more active with the great weather we are having
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 18.4 miles this week, which is the closest to 20 I've been since we started this! I did two long snowshoe hikes over the weekend so that's how I managed.

@WildMagelet oh I'm so jealous! I wish I could start biking to work, but with 7 ft of snow in Boston my bike paths won't be clear for a while... My bike commute is 6 miles each way, which is 60 miles per week. Wow, I never added that up before :)

I cruised home with the windows down today :) it was sort of fabulous. @redheadbride15
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • I need to get in on this, I am having a really hard time with motivation lately.

FI and I have been doing a lot of hikes this winter but we are only averaging 15miles a week. They are pretty hilly walks so the intesity is good, but I definitely think I need to step up my game.

Im 6 months out from the wedding, and I always thought that getting married would be my biggest motivator to get in shape, but honestly, I've been way more into being lazy and snacking then getting up and moving. I think part of it is that my dress is actually to big! So there isnt that desperation to fit into it.

My FI has been fantastic, I get home from work and he's waiting on the stoop to go for a walk so I don't have the opportunity to get comfortable and not go.

I need to start incorporating weights and amp up that cardio.

So hello!!!
  • Hi ladies!! Sorry, I am late to the game, but I would love to join you, if that's okay!?

I'm in New Orleans and my wedding is in October, so I'm getting down to around the 7 month mark.  I try to walk at least 3 miles a day...try being the operative word.  I'm trying to get myself back in to running, but it turns out that is a lot easier said than done!

Happy to meet everyone, and good luck with planning and getting in shape!  See you on Sunday!
  • P.S. I love that wedding stress chart...if I had to guess, I'm heading toward my meltdown soon, haha. =/
  • Okay, it's time for my weekly charting: 12 miles

The good news was that my running paths are clear so that was all running! The bad news is that I will have to work my way back up to the higher mileage (I didn't want to injure myself after 2 months of no running), and it rained & snowed all weekend so I couldn't get in the 5th run of the week that I had hoped for. It's now officially been the snowiest winter in recorded history in Boston (108.6 inches)!
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    So I did 23.5 this week....but it was not really "hard core" moving. Today is corporate tax filing deadlines and we were so crazy last week in the office that I did not make it out to the gym or for lunch walks. After today...I am kicking myself in the butt,I heard that my dress will be in within the month
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My wedding is in 2 months and my first dress fitting is next week... But that's okay because I long ago decided I didn't really care if I lost weight before the wedding. I just want to feel great, and 2 months of really regular moderate-to-high intensity exercise will certainly do that!
  • I ran/walked 2 miles today!
  • @redheadbride15 I've got some friends in Boston and I know you guys have gotten pummeled!  Stay safe!

I did 16 miles this past week...kind of disappointed with my mileage, but we've had a busy week.  It's so hard to stay on track sometimes!

(Sorry for the late post.)
  • Hello fellow mileage-trackers! Up to 15 miles running this week, so still not at goal but getting a bit better!
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    Had 26 this week...Have a good week everyone
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    Had a great week.....did 38 miles....a 12 mile hake on Saturday!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Got exactly 20 in this week! Was hoping for a bit more but I have a cold so I couldnt get the distance in that I wanted. Although I am proud that I went for a walk every single day this week, just didn't go for as long as I should have.
  • 21.9 miles this week! Finally made it up to goal! 12.4 miles running during the week plus a 9.4 mile snowshoe hike Sunday.

By the way, 2 months exactly until my wedding day!
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    had 32 this past week
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hi there,
      I have been using theknot for my wedding checklist and ideas, but it's the first time I'm on the forums.  I am in!  I'm a runner and am just getting back into it after the winter season.
  • Only 13 miles this week :(  FI and I were traveling for the Easter holiday. Hoping to get back in the swing of things this week (Of course, it's supposed to rain every single day and my bachelorette party is this weekend and my sister, niece, and a friend are all coming to visit... so we'll see how it goes).
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    figure I will try to be on time this week with my numbers....had 29. With April 15th this week...I know that this week is going to be really bad for me
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6 miles last week! Hahaha, I don't know why I even fooled myself into thinking I'd get any working out done at all with my house full of guests and spending half the weekend partying and the other half the weekend recovering from partying. But ya know, I only get one bachelorette party in my entire life after all. This will be a good week, on the other hand. I already rode my bike to work for the first time of the season (6 miles each way).
  • Pretty poor week for actually hiking last week. We took a long weekend and drove the 8 hours to our hometown to get some wedding stuff done.

However I have started incorporating bodyweight workouts in. So I get a 40 minute hike in each weekday, hour+ ones on the weekend, and every second day I also do a 40 minute strength workout.

I'm pretty much constantly sore.
  • tj&cwtj&cw member
    Busy day yesterday so forgot to report =)

Had 24 last week....actually shocked with Wed being tax deadlines and was at my desk 90% of the time MTW
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards