Chit Chat

"I don't like the dishes you picked, so I bought you different ones"

Re: "I don't like the dishes you picked, so I bought you different ones"

• We have more china than we know what to do with. I have a hodgepodge of dishes accumulated over my single years, and FI has a hideous set with checkers and roosters on it. Those have GOT. TO. GO.

In exchange for getting rid of the roosters, FI picked out this casual china from World Market:

And this is our formal china, which was my mom's:

I've also inherited two or three other sets that are still in storage.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Geeziz. Gotta love people who are so self important that they need things they like in other people's homes. For the record, the dishes you picked are awesome! Very pretty! I've never seen anything quite like those before. :)

These are mine, except I didn't bother with the mugs. I got them from BB&B and LOVE them. I'm going to be so sad when it's time to get a new set...

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • we bought some during black friday shopping $20 for some plan white corelle ones. i thought we had gotten the square ones but im pretty sure theyre the round ones. i dont know we havent gotten to use them because we havent moved into the house yet with all the basement and sewer issues we are having. 

BTW that is totally something my FMIL would say. oh those are ugly so i bought these or i liked these so i bought them for you. that is why we are opting out of having a shower.
  • I feel like I'm missing out looking at all these sets!!! Is it weird to have one of everything?? LOL

My current set is the really cheap and really easy to break 20 dollar set from target. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited April 2015
    I love those dishes, Larry! Very elegant yet modern.

I also love the ones on our registry. We have a black/white/red theme going on with our kitchen, so I tried to choose sets that matched that but were still good quality. Here are the casual/every day dishes, which I'm pretty sure I just saw in an episode of Breaking Bad:

And our China pattern. I tried to pick something that was cool and modern, but still nice for when we have company:

I feel your pain a little because last time I visited my family my dad took me to see my grandfather's house. He died last year and was a HUGE hoarder. He bought lots of stuff that was on sale and never opened it, assuming that he could just give them to his kids and grandkids eventually. So he has like, five China sets that have never been used, and they're all not my or FI's taste at all. My dad and uncle were subtly trying to get me to take a set, but I love the set on our registry so I feel super guilty. I might take one set and have that be the "really fancy" China, or something. It makes me feel like a jerk.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• So, I don't have any china of my own but my mom has a set called The Indian Tree that I think is pretty (the outiside pattern is gold and shiny in the light):image
  • We didn't register for everyday dishes because we had plenty in nice shape.   I'd love to get a new set one day but I don't want to part with the ones we have either - so maybe in a few years when we have more chips and kids that know how to cut their meat we'll go there.

I can't help but think about the e-ring post when I see this thread.  I know that this is different but I still can't help but think about the similarities. 
  • Bubblegum5586Bubblegum5586 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    We use our corelle for everyday and then we got the Noritake from BBB too. We registered for the same set as @larrygaga (I think - is that black or grey?) Well we registered for the grey since it was neutral and not sure where we would be living in a few years. 9 months after the wedding we bought our house and it doesn't have a dining room just an eat in kitchen. So I swapped it out since I hadn't opened it yet) for the blue instead. Sadly I still haven't used it.. it just sits in my hutch on display. I am thinking of finally using for Mother's day since I know my mom will appreciate it!

And I really want to add:

Anniversary
  • bubblegum1309

The set was a really dark grey. I really loved the blue but we don't really have colors since we apartment hop. I also loved square but FI nixed that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• blabla89 said:

We have more china than we know what to do with. I have a hodgepodge of dishes accumulated over my single years, and FI has a hideous set with checkers and roosters on it. Those have GOT. TO. GO.

In exchange for getting rid of the roosters, FI picked out this casual china from World Market:

I love that casual plate! I'm a big fan of Mexican tile/Provencal-style patterns and colors.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • banana468 said:

We didn't register for everyday dishes because we had plenty in nice shape.   I'd love to get a new set one day but I don't want to part with the ones we have either - so maybe in a few years when we have more chips and kids that know how to cut their meat we'll go there.

I can't help but think about the e-ring post when I see this thread.  I know that this is different but I still can't help but think about the similarities. 
    Yep, there are some similarities. I was going through a really bad time and I was really angry about everything. Instead of continuing to argue, I took a break. Thanks for bringing up old dirt though! Nothing shows classy like trying to start shit in unrelated places.

I would never demand that the rude person in my original post take my dishes back and get me the one I wanted. I really brought it up so we could all post what china we have. There is a huge difference between demanding your FI take an engagement ring back for a better one and between registering for a gift and having someone tell you that it sucks and they will get you a different one. I will accept the gift, thank them, remember how thoughtful it is and either take it back with a receipt or put it in a closet for years to come. 

Now I'm going back to oogling china, please don't ruin the thread with petty bullshit. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• larrygagalarrygaga member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

blabla89 said:

We have more china than we know what to do with. I have a hodgepodge of dishes accumulated over my single years, and FI has a hideous set with checkers and roosters on it. Those have GOT. TO. GO.

I love that casual plate! I'm a big fan of Mexican tile/Provencal-style patterns and colors.
    I also registered for some serving pieces that are more colorful and possibly Mexican inspired. Well, I think that they are because the name is kind of spanish. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Those dishes are awesome!  I seriously don't get people when it comes to weddings... it's as if they think their opinion all of a sudden matters to you.  Hopefully the other people she tells about the dishes won't pay attention to her crazy.

I felt a bit silly registering for dishes, because FI has a full set that we use every day, I have a white set of 8 from Crate and Barrel that were mine before we met, and we use on special occasions (but is discontinued so I can no longer get more), and I also have an entire 8 setting set of vintage ones down in the basement that I don't use often since they require hand washing.  

But, I started adding up how many people we'd have if we ever hosted, say, Thanksgiving, so I went ahead and registered for these basic ones at Crate and Barrel.  http://www.crateandbarrel.com/set-of-8-essential-dinner-plates/s141742  They're super affordable and I'm only asking for 2 of each plate type, to make 16 settings.

But now I'm wondering if I should pick something slightly more expensive just so more people could buy a place setting, instead of basically there being a few that people can buy since they come in sets of 8.  We have a large guest list and I'm worried our registry isn't large enough.. I don't want to make it difficult on people.
    We actually have the Essential line. I bought 8 of each type of plate and 8 bowls before I met DH. We love them and decided against china so we just registered for more. We now have 24 of each size of plate and 24 of the bowls. (My gramma had 8 of the salad plates that she never used so we just evened the collection out.) I inherited my parents' preference for very simple white dishes so it is unnecessary. People bought more than we registered for but it's handy--- we have half of it boxed away from the future but have pulled it out for particularly large parties.

China is lovely but I've never had an interest in it. My parents never used it either-- they just had simple white Dansk plates that they would buy in bulk. They kept them in 2 areas (nice and everyday) and once the 'nice' plates started to wear, they became everyday and my parents would buy more. The design is simple (I don't remember the name) and has been around since they got married 40 years ago.

My parents have 'special' silverware that I associate with nice dinners. We have 8 settings of the same, though I never remember to pull them out.

When my gramma passes, we'll end up with her china. I'll probably just use it for Passover like she did.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We didn't register for china since I bought my Lenox set almost a decade ago. I have Hannah Platinum and Hannah Royal Platinum.

image image
    I love Lenox. Those are really pretty. 

My everyday is a discontinued Lenox line, Mediterra. I don't have a complete set of everything but it's enough to get by with and it's good quality china that can go in the microwave and dishwasher. We registered for Lenox Eternal because I felt like it would be an easy place setting to mix and match and has been around forever so it isn't likely to be discontinued.  
  • larrygaga said:

banana468 said:

We didn't register for everyday dishes because we had plenty in nice shape.   I'd love to get a new set one day but I don't want to part with the ones we have either - so maybe in a few years when we have more chips and kids that know how to cut their meat we'll go there.

Yep, there are some similarities. I was going through a really bad time and I was really angry about everything. Instead of continuing to argue, I took a break. Thanks for bringing up old dirt though! Nothing shows classy like trying to start shit in unrelated places.

I would never demand that the rude person in my original post take my dishes back and get me the one I wanted. I really brought it up so we could all post what china we have. There is a huge difference between demanding your FI take an engagement ring back for a better one and between registering for a gift and having someone tell you that it sucks and they will get you a different one. I will accept the gift, thank them, remember how thoughtful it is and either take it back with a receipt or put it in a closet for years to come. 

Now I'm going back to oogling china, please don't ruin the thread with petty bullshit. 

I'm done.   You see similarities and there's no need to take it further.  And as a peace offering here's our China pattern.   It only took DH and I 2 hours and tons of arguing to get the simplest pattern we could agree to.   Bonus: the edging is platinum and is dishwasher safe.   And we've been told that thy won't ever discontinue it so if I ever go crazy klutzy then I can replace it: 

• And my grandmother just turned 98 this week.   She is moving in with my aunt (probably permanently because my uncle that lived with her was admitted to hospice) and she wants me to have her China.   So I am going to get her collection of this pattern:

• banana468 said:

And my grandmother just turned 98 this week.   She is moving in with my aunt (probably permanently because my uncle that lived with her was admitted to hospice) and she wants me to have her China.   So I am going to get her collection of this pattern:

Hey, that's one of my grandfather's china patterns! Except that one we actually used.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• banana468 said:

And my grandmother just turned 98 this week.   She is moving in with my aunt (probably permanently because my uncle that lived with her was admitted to hospice) and she wants me to have her China.   So I am going to get her collection of this pattern:

My mom's is a lot like that as well with the huge florals and fat gold rim, but it's all pink flowers. It's truly monstrous and she cannot wait to give it to me, haha.

We just have plain white everything. I've never seen a pattern I liked (and I don't like the metallic rims), I didn't want to have to coordinate colours, and I kind of dig the restaurant vibe overall. It's easy to do nice plating when I have dinner parties on the white and I can buy whatever colour linens and decor and stuff this way. Plus we have a tiny apartment right now so the dining area is open to the kitchen and the kitchen is all red cabinets and stainless everything.

I do have lots of weird shapes, though, including those Maxwell Williams plates that look kind of like a figure 8 and are a dinner plate and salad plate at the same time. They remind FI of the plastic plates you give kids with the compartments but I secretly love them even though they're weird.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wow, that's rude of her.

My H picked our casual dinnerware (which he is very proud of) and we both love the color.

This is our fine china: Noritake Crestwood Platinum

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• @beachyone15 is that the Gordon Ramsay Royal Doulton "Maze?" I wanted that so badly, in like 4 of the colors to mix and match. 

And is it sad that I recognize most of these patterns and remember their names from my weeks of agonizing over china patterns?

• I was told at my shower "We vetoed some of the things on your registry because we were like Linz will NEVER use that!" Stupid SeeYouNextTuesday.

I agree with PPs that your china is lovely!

Anniversary

• We registered for some from Macy's, but when we came in they were a very different shade of blue than expected. We returned them and bought some awesome ones from Williams Sonoma. However, we did have someone say this about our towels. She said that the ones we registered for were crap, so she bought us better ones (same color) from Costco for my shower. She was so right, her's were so much bigger and fluffier.  
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • I was told at my shower "We vetoed some of the things on your registry because we were like Linz will NEVER use that!" Stupid SeeYouNextTuesday.

I agree with PPs that your china is lovely!

So rude. 

It's one thing to buy something off-registry or to even make the internal buying decision of, "well, I think they'll get more use out of this item than that item", but it's rude to tell people that their choices are bad or that they won't use a particular thing. 
  • We didn't register for fancy china because we have no place to put it right now. I mean, we could stack it on the basement shelves but china deserves better than that.

When we bought our dining room furniture, we held off on the buffet because Pottery Barn's stuff is kind of bulky and it was too much. Well, we ended up ordering it and it arrives tomorrow. Yay!

So I'm on the fence between wanting to fill it with sexy bone china and logically realizing that we'll use it only 1 or 2 times a year.
    *********************************************************************************

• WOW that's rude. Guess they won't be invited over for dinner any time soon ;)

I didn't register for fine china. We just did everyday dinnerware because we never host special occasions at our house. Also, we have no where to store it. 

We registered for a mix of the Kate Spade Charlotte Street pieces. 
    imageimageimageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Wait is the one I originally posted fancy china? I thought it was casual. I'm using it as casual and I don't have a "nice" set for a long time. There are a bunch of sets floating around my family and I'm told I'll get one someday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• We didn't register for fancy china because we have no place to put it right now. I mean, we could stack it on the basement shelves but china deserves better than that.

When we bought our dining room furniture, we held off on the buffet because Pottery Barn's stuff is kind of bulky and it was too much. Well, we ended up ordering it and it arrives tomorrow. Yay!

So I'm on the fence between wanting to fill it with sexy bone china and logically realizing that we'll use it only 1 or 2 times a year.
    My everyday is the Lenox china I posted above, and it is bone china. It is very durable and the pattern is casual enough to use all the time or at a dinner party. Only one of the plates has broken in the 7 years I've had it, and that was FI just flat out dropping an accent plate on the floor one day. If you entertain, you may use the china more than you think. 
  • kikilamp said:

I love your dishes! But even if I didn't, I'd still consider getting them for you because that's what YOU picked out.

Our casual china is fairly boring, but this is our china set!

I wanted to register for this china SO BADLY but H hated it....I still get sad when I see it in a department store.  We ended up with 
  • larrygaga said:

Wait is the one I originally posted fancy china? I thought it was casual. I'm using it as casual and I don't have a "nice" set for a long time. There are a bunch of sets floating around my family and I'm told I'll get one someday.

No, I would consider that casual.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards