Chit Chat

New(ish) Movies

Lately we've been watching a lot of movies, and I'm usually pretty picky but I've really liked them. I'm curious to know other people's thoughts on these, or what you've seen recently. Anything good that I need to see? Anything I shouldn't waste my time on? 

Here's what I've watched in the past week or so: 
  • Interstellar -- I LOVE Jessica Chastain, and I love movies that make me think. The ending of this one definitely had me thinking for a while. 
  • The Theory of Everything. I thought it was really interesting and the cast was awesome. I actually cried at the end which isn't normal for me. 
  • St Vincent. All I have to say is: Bill Murray. 
We also watched the most recent Hobbit movie and I wasn't very fond of it. Too many desperate attempts at comic relief, and the story dragged out too long for me. 

And this film isn't recent at all (1973) but I have to mention it. Has anyone seen A Clockwork Orange? Holy shit. 

Re: New(ish) Movies

• I haven't seen any of those.

But I just watched Whiplash and thought it was amazing.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KatWAG said:

I haven't seen any of those.

But I just watched Whiplash and thought it was amazing.

Ooh I forgot about that one, but now that you mention it, I remember hearing a lot of good things about it. Might need to put that on my to-do list... 
  • Birdman was good, Whiplash was great, and I loved The Grand Budapest Hotel (if you like Wes Anderson). Also Chef which is on Netflix. :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• FI and I went to see "It Follows" over the weekend. It got really good reviews (95% from critics on RT). It was an... interesting movie. Kinda weird. It had an interesting concept but we felt that the story wasn't developed enough. It's about a girl who has sex with a guy  and afterwards he tells her  that now this "thing" will follow her. The "thing" is a really slow walking person. If it reaches you it will kill you, so you have to run away from it. The only way to get rid of "it" is to have sex with someone else and pass it on. I see what they did there. It also had a very 70's/80's slasher movie vibe. Idk that I would recommend it, personally. 

I have not seen a Clockwork Orange, but now I feel that I want to! 
                                 Anniversary
    imageimageimage

• We hardly ever see movies because FI only likes the kind where stuff blows up, and I don't.

But we did go see Interstellar when it was in theatres and it was pretty visually stunning, although the dialogue (and, let's be honest, the plot in general) gave me the giggles. So ridiculous. Gorgeous, though.

We saw the Hobbit and rolled our eyes a lot too but it was still pretty fun. I read the book repeatedly as a kid but I wasn't emotionally attached to it or anything so it doesn't hurt me inside to see Peter Jackson insert love stories and slapstick comedy...at least, it doesn't hurt much.

Other than that, I think the last movie I actually saw in a theatre was Guardians of the Galaxy to appease FI. But it was cute and I wasn't bored or anything. Chris Pratt's charisma was sufficient to carry me through all the fighting etc.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We loved Interstellar.  Dh thought there were parts that were the best movie he's ever seen (but not all).  Funnily enough, an old acquaintance on FB posted that it was the stupidest movie ever and a waste of time and money.  Knowing him, the movie was past his intelligence level and that's why he hated it.  (Not saying everyone who hated it is stupid, but I know him pretty well and he just didn't get it)

• The last movie FI and I saw was unbroken, and it was very good.  We both are big history nerds and enjoy pretty much any movie based off of a true story, or has a historical theme.

The next movie that I really want to see is The Longest Ride.  Total chick flick, I know, but it looks good!

• I loved Interstellar SO MUCH. It was everything awesome and cool and thought-provoking that Gravity wasn't, with equal cinematographic beauty.

If you like Chastain, check out A Most Violent Year. It was a quiet movie, in a way, despite living up to the title. Plus I love Oscar Isaac, and he's great in it.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Oh! I just watched Going Clear - the doc about Scientology. Holy shitballs. I knew about the allegations of abuse at the Sea Org, and I already thought it was a cult. But the documentary was insane. 
  • I'm too tired lately for movies that require thinking. We saw Furious 7 on Friday and I loved it. I'm also currently seeking babysitters for when the next Bond and Hunger Games movies come out (in November).

• peachy13 said:

Birdman was good, Whiplash was great, and I loved The Grand Budapest Hotel (if you like Wes Anderson). Also Chef which is on Netflix. :)

I really liked Chef! I don't remember what I was doing during Grand Budapest Hotel but I was distracted so I missed some of what was happening, so I kept getting confused. I have a hard time sitting still and focusing on one thing. But I love Wes Anderson, and from what I paid attention to I liked that movie! He always has the greatest cast. 
  • pinkcow13 said:

FI and I went to see "It Follows" over the weekend. It got really good reviews (95% from critics on RT). It was an... interesting movie. Kinda weird. It had an interesting concept but we felt that the story wasn't developed enough. It's about a girl who has sex with a guy  and afterwards he tells her  that now this "thing" will follow her. The "thing" is a really slow walking person. If it reaches you it will kill you, so you have to run away from it. The only way to get rid of "it" is to have sex with someone else and pass it on. I see what they did there. It also had a very 70's/80's slasher movie vibe. Idk that I would recommend it, personally. 

Just be prepared for some trippy, bizarre shit. I felt like I was supposed to be on acid to watch that movie. 
  • We loved Interstellar.  Dh thought there were parts that were the best movie he's ever seen (but not all).  Funnily enough, an old acquaintance on FB posted that it was the stupidest movie ever and a waste of time and money.  Knowing him, the movie was past his intelligence level and that's why he hated it.  (Not saying everyone who hated it is stupid, but I know him pretty well and he just didn't get it)

We didn't like it because we thought it was trying so hard to be deep and thoughtful but it was ultimately just Matthew McConaghey floating around in a spacesuit trying to make us buy some pretty far-fetched metaphysical stuff. I was willing to go with it until Matt Damon or so, and then...yeah. Took it too far with the mysticism,  I suppose. I just don't have a lot of patience for that kind of thing. I don't know if I can express myself much better than to say that I like my space exploration movies with fewer feelings and less...magic?

A lot of our friends loved it, but I guess I just couldn't buy it once the black hole bit began. Or any time I listened too closely to the dialogue, which I found pretty overwrought. And I thought it kind of exposed the expositional wiring too, if you know what I mean.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have Interstellar on Redbox at home for DH and I to watch tonight. I'm glad y'all said it was good because I felt unsure about it! 

I really want to see Get Hard with Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell. I love Kevin Hart.

• ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    DH wanted to watch a movie & it was his turn to choose. He chose Interstellar. 

It was a little slow for me, plus it was just too long. I couldn't stay super interested. 
  • I also found Interstellar to be absolutely amazing. I felt like it jus kept blowing my mind- like I just could not/ cannot wrap my brain around the "1 hour here equals 7 years on Earth". I just cannot comprehend that- how?! How can you not age, and someone else age 7 years in the same time span?! I just don't get it! But I like that it makes me think about deep shit like that.

Divergent & Insurgent were really good. I must see Fast 7 because my group was obsessed with that when the first one came out. We were all car people, so we've seen many of them in theaters together. Even though they got so ridiculous- they turned from average good drivers into bionic superheroes immune from the law- but whatever, I love it!

I think The Age of Adeline looks really good. I love Blake Lively.

• jenna8984 said:

I also found Interstellar to be absolutely amazing. I felt like it jus kept blowing my mind- like I just could not/ cannot wrap my brain around the "1 hour here equals 7 years on Earth". I just cannot comprehend that- how?! How can you not age, and someone else age 7 years in the same time span?! I just don't get it! But I like that it makes me think about deep shit like that.

Divergent & Insurgent were really good. I must see Fast 7 because my group was obsessed with that when the first one came out. We were all car people, so we've seen many of them in theaters together. Even though they got so ridiculous- they turned from average good drivers into bionic superheroes immune from the law- but whatever, I love it!

I think The Age of Adeline looks really good. I love Blake Lively.

I read an article about a year ago about how time passes differently in space, so astronauts who stay in orbit for a long time end up coming back to Earth about 2 minutes younger than the rest of us. So when the weird time thing came up in the movie I thought it was extra interesting, cuz I was like "ooh that's kind of like the orbit thing!" lol. I'm a nerd sometimes. 
  • I loved Chef. We both also loved the Imitation Game and Theory of Everything. An unpopular thought but I never got into Birdman. We rented it at home and for some reason it never got my attention, something that isn't usually an issue for me.

We have plans to see Fast 7 and the new Divergent movie but DH is in midterms so it may not happen in the near future.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • You know like the 7 degree of separation thing? Well when I was 16 years old, I went on a cruise and hung out in the "teens club". There was a family from Orange County, CA that had 4 teenagers around my age so we hung out, and got each other's "aim screen names". We didn't really keep in touch but to this day I'm still Facebook friends with one of the 4.

Well the family is super rich- like their dad owns half or Orange County through strip malls and real estate deals, he wrote a chapter in Donald Trump's book, he owns/ funds a frigen school for kids in Africa, they were part of a reality show. Yea, they are big time in SoCal.

So the girl that I'm still friends with online, I'm sure she has no idea who I even am anymore, she has never "liked" any of my posts or anything. Well, she posted a video of her little sister at the Academy Awards a few weeks ago....with boyfriend Miles Teller. He's the star of Whiplash, he's in Hunger Games, Divergent, Insurgent. So every time I see him on the big screen I'm all "I kinda know your girlfriend's sister! I'm only like 3 degrees of separation from you!" hahahahah. I know I'm a dork but I find it fascinating when she posts pictures of them at a family wedding or something and I get a little "inside look" at a celebrity's life.

• jenna8984 said:

You know like the 7 degree of separation thing? Well when I was 16 years old, I went on a cruise and hung out in the "teens club". There was a family from Orange County, CA that had 4 teenagers around my age so we hung out, and got each other's "aim screen names". We didn't really keep in touch but to this day I'm still Facebook friends with one of the 4.

Well the family is super rich- like their dad owns half or Orange County through strip malls and real estate deals, he wrote a chapter in Donald Trump's book, he owns/ funds a frigen school for kids in Africa, they were part of a reality show. Yea, they are big time in SoCal.

So the girl that I'm still friends with online, I'm sure she has no idea who I even am anymore, she has never "liked" any of my posts or anything. Well, she posted a video of her little sister at the Academy Awards a few weeks ago....with boyfriend Miles Teller. He's the star of Whiplash, he's in Hunger Games, Divergent, Insurgent. So every time I see him on the big screen I'm all "I kinda know your girlfriend's sister! I'm only like 3 degrees of separation from you!" hahahahah. I know I'm a dork but I find it fascinating when she posts pictures of them at a family wedding or something and I get a little "inside look" at a celebrity's life.

lol that is awesome! 

My sister's ex boyfriend's brother is an actor, and he ended up landing the gig of being Captain Morgan in their new ad campaign. So he's the guy in all those "edgey" Captain Morgan commercials that have been coming out for the past few years. Every time one comes on I'm like "I know that guy! He's been to my house! See that dive, the dive he does off the ship?! He did that dive into my pool!" and I totally geek out. No shame. 
  • I have not seen a Clockwork Orange, but now I feel that I want to! 
    Just be prepared for some trippy, bizarre shit. I felt like I was supposed to be on acid to watch that movie. 
    So, there were a couple of "cult classics" that were more-or-less required viewing to work at the video store I used to work at, and this was one of them. You have very eloquently stated my exact feelings watching it.

I'm overly tired and can't think straight right now, but the only other movie I can remember off the list was Dancer in the Dark. Not really trippy, just kinda "whoa", and so. damn. depressing.

I don't know if you're into foreign movies, but if you are you should check out Head On, and Edge of Heaven, and also As It Is In Heaven, and Mostly Martha (which Hollywood turned into No Reservations - it's MUCH better in German). Oh, and The Girl from Paris was pretty good too.

I don't really watch a lot of "new" films. I think the most recent I've seen is Lucy, and that's only because it's a Luc Besson film and I will watch anything that man makes.

I've been under a lot of pressure lately to watch the Alien movies. I watched Alien, and holy crap was it boring. Like honestly, Blair Witch Project was more interesting. So DH and our friend are trying to convince me that, no, really, Aliens is the shit. I'm not sure I'm buying it.
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

So, there were a couple of "cult classics" that were more-or-less required viewing to work at the video store I used to work at, and this was one of them. You have very eloquently stated my exact feelings watching it.

I'm overly tired and can't think straight right now, but the only other movie I can remember off the list was Dancer in the Dark. Not really trippy, just kinda "whoa", and so. damn. depressing.

I don't know if you're into foreign movies, but if you are you should check out Head On, and Edge of Heaven, and also As It Is In Heaven, and Mostly Martha (which Hollywood turned into No Reservations - it's MUCH better in German). Oh, and The Girl from Paris was pretty good too.

I don't really watch a lot of "new" films. I think the most recent I've seen is Lucy, and that's only because it's a Luc Besson film and I will watch anything that man makes.

I've been under a lot of pressure lately to watch the Alien movies. I watched Alien, and holy crap was it boring. Like honestly, Blair Witch Project was more interesting. So DH and our friend are trying to convince me that, no, really, Aliens is the shit. I'm not sure I'm buying it.
    --------------------damnation boxes!------------------------------------------------------

I saw Lucy and I hated it :( It just didn't make any sense to me. And some of the scenes were a little too cheesy and cliched. But like I said in the OP, I'm really picky about movies. 

I had only seen Alien in bits and pieces whenever it was on TV, so a few months ago FI downloaded it for me. At the end of the movie I remember saying, "That's it? Nothing happened." Lol. Besides that one iconic scene when the little thing busts out of the guy's chest, seriously nothing happens!! 
  • I fell asleep during UnBroken TWICE. Once during opening night and again when we rented it. i actually like WWII movies so this was strange for me. 

My FI liked Exodus. Like as in he loved it. 

We went to Furious 7. Which we both loved and recommend. We are all about those movies and build cars for fun. 

I want to see The Longest Ride. didnt read the book but love Britt Robertson in Under the Dome. I also want to see Disney's Tomorrowland with her in it.

Interstellar i fell asleep during. i have to stop falling asleep during them 

some other ones i loved:(not all recent though) 
    john wick
    Fury
    lawless 
    zero dark thirty 
    hundred ways to die in the west
    walk among the tombs 
    the November man (Pioerce Bronsan is a good looking man for an old one) 
    Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit 
    This Means War (i love this movie and my FI hates me for it) 
    the bounty hunter
    law abiding citizen
    gamer
    the ugly truth

• pinkcow13 said:

I saw Lucy and I hated it :( It just didn't make any sense to me. And some of the scenes were a little too cheesy and cliched. But like I said in the OP, I'm really picky about movies. 

I had only seen Alien in bits and pieces whenever it was on TV, so a few months ago FI downloaded it for me. At the end of the movie I remember saying, "That's it? Nothing happened." Lol. Besides that one iconic scene when the little thing busts out of the guy's chest, seriously nothing happens!! 
    No idea what's happening with the boxes, but what the hey. 

Yes! I am totally with you on this. And it starts with 30 freaking minutes of "morning routine". I mean, I get that it's supposed to establish some sense of "normalcy" for the critter to disrupt, but really? I have to watch half an hour of people waking up, eating breakfast, and talking about how very normal everything is?

I hear what you're saying about Lucy, and it wasn't meant to be a recommendation, just a "this is the most recent thing I've watched"There's definitely a lot wrong with it, but I just took it as a really pretty movie with good action sequences, and tried not to think too much about all the plot flaws. I think there was a fair amount of interference from Besson's wife on the production side of things, but I don't know how much of an effect she had on the actual story. I think I'm always going to be a fan of Besson's work though.

I used to watch pretty much anything except horror (because I'm a fraidy-cat) but I became VERY picky about movies after working at the video store. Now, if I'm not enjoying (or at least seeing something positive/worthwhile) in a film in the first 20 minutes, I'm not going to finish it.
  • pinkcow13 said:

No idea what's happening with the boxes, but what the hey. 

Yes! I am totally with you on this. And it starts with 30 freaking minutes of "morning routine". I mean, I get that it's supposed to establish some sense of "normalcy" for the critter to disrupt, but really? I have to watch half an hour of people waking up, eating breakfast, and talking about how very normal everything is?

I hear what you're saying about Lucy, and it wasn't meant to be a recommendation, just a "this is the most recent thing I've watched"There's definitely a lot wrong with it, but I just took it as a really pretty movie with good action sequences, and tried not to think too much about all the plot flaws. I think there was a fair amount of interference from Besson's wife on the production side of things, but I don't know how much of an effect she had on the actual story. I think I'm always going to be a fan of Besson's work though.

I used to watch pretty much anything except horror (because I'm a fraidy-cat) but I became VERY picky about movies after working at the video store. Now, if I'm not enjoying (or at least seeing something positive/worthwhile) in a film in the first 20 minutes, I'm not going to finish it.

---------preemptive box--------------------------------------------

I think getting a writing degree ruined movies for me (and some books, too). Because now, instead of just watching the movie and enjoying it for what it is, I can't help but analyze everything about it. So the whole time I'm like "That dialogue is weak. I get what the writers are trying to do with the character's back-story but it's lacking impact. That's a cliche. That's way too stilted. This writer is way too obsessed with x and y. This character wasn't developed well." I ruin a lot of movies for myself, but I don't know how to shut it off. So I just annoy the crap out of myself and end up hating otherwise entertaining movies. 
  • I think getting a writing degree ruined movies for me (and some books, too). Because now, instead of just watching the movie and enjoying it for what it is, I can't help but analyze everything about it. So the whole time I'm like "That dialogue is weak. I get what the writers are trying to do with the character's back-story but it's lacking impact. That's a cliche. That's way too stilted. This writer is way too obsessed with x and y. This character wasn't developed well." I ruin a lot of movies for myself, but I don't know how to shut it off. So I just annoy the crap out of myself and end up hating otherwise entertaining movies. 

I totally get that. I ruin a lot of things for myself the same way. Unless something distracts me, I find it very hard to switch my brain off and stop myself from picking at the flaws.

I was playing a computer game a couple of years ago, and I was actually having a fair amount of fun, when one of the characters said something about "that Oscar Wilde fellow". The game was set almost half a century before Wilde was born, and I just could NOT carry on past that point. 
  • KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    KytchynWitche said:I have not seen a Clockwork Orange, but now I feel that I want to! 

AlienS is
    wayyyy better than Alien. Trust me. James Cameron won't let you down when it comes to excitement!

The later Alien movies get really, really ridiculous. Like, Ripley becomes part alien. It's weird. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Newish movies I liked: John Wick, The Theory of Everything, and Fury.
  • doeydo said:

Newish movies I liked: John Wick, The Theory of Everything, and Fury.

I FINALLY just realized what movie Fury was lol. I saw it, and I really liked it.
  • emmaaa said:

I have Interstellar on Redbox at home for DH and I to watch tonight. I'm glad y'all said it was good because I felt unsure about it! 

I really want to see Get Hard with Kevin Hart and Will Ferrell. I love Kevin Hart.
    We saw Get Hard this weekend.  It was funny, FI thought it was one of the funniest things ever, but that's his thing.  There's LOTS of dick jokes, and even an actual dick.  Not worth paying $9.25 at the theater so just wait til it's out on DVD or whatever.  
    Married 9.12.15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards